Thread: BEst bang for the buck

BEst bang for the buck

I am on a tele quest. Of all my little collective--- I have no Tele.
    I am not a purist --- I will entertain low end copies--- but if one wanted a GOOD (read serviceable functional --dont care about bling and finishes really) solid wood Telecaster COULD one be had for 400.00 or less????
    DOES NOT --- actually prefer---it not be new.

Would a MIM --- be better than say a G&L ?

DO any of you have experience with clones that rival the Real deal?

Is a Warmouth body/neck and build to suit the way to go?

Is a USA Made Peavey Telecaster the best quality bang for the buck ???

I could run out an snag a Squire --- or low end G&L this A.M. or any number of clones from Jay Turser to Cort to Cozart to ESP......but I am in no hurry

I'd like to do some reasearch and get feedback and find a model that I can hold onto for a bit.....a keeper (I have owned Squires and SX and ROndo models et all and they never LAST) ----

Thanks for any info
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Re: BEst bang for the buck

just based on my experience, the Squier is the way to go. checks all the boxes. I've had my avatar ('08 CV50 body with '14 CVC neck, '80s MIJ brass saddles) since 2010 and it has scratched my tele itch quite well. Considering the tele I had before was a Nash T-63 that I foolishly sold. That said, the CV50 tele is about 399 today, you can sell the neck and buy another and probably break even, if you desire. I like the pickup in mine enough that I bought another one for a build that has since been parted out except for the pickup. I'm keeping that for my next build.

not sure what the used prices on Squiers is like but I'm not afraid of buying used. I just haven't been looking. I've got other things on my radar. This (avatar guitar) is basically my #1 and if I absolutely had to have only one guitar (shudder, the horror, the horror) I could a lot worse than that. If I can find a nice lightweight MJT body at the right price, I'd transfer everything from that guitar to it.

There are a number of Telecasters on Reverb that are listed at or lower than $400.

Depends on your budget and what tones you’re looking for. Easiest is a Squier CV50, or an MIM and change the pups. You could probably get either for about $400. I just worked on a newer imported G&L. It was ok, but I wouldn’t buy it. It sounded good but was heavy and I didn’t like how flat the fretboard is.

I’ve always liked the standard MIM Teles, swap on a Wilkinson compensated bridge and some decent pups and you’re GTG.

Piecing a guitar together from Warmoth or any other aftermarket company is going to put you in the $700 plus range, which is fine. But if $ is a concern I’d look at used or import guitars. Play them first though because you can sometimes find a really nice one for cheap
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Piecing a guitar together from Warmoth or any other aftermarket company is going to put you in the $700 plus range, which is fine. But if $ is a concern I’d look at used or import guitars. Play them first though because you can sometimes find a really nice one for cheap
    my USACG T Style cost about $800 to put together with premium parts (several years ago) and is awesome. Similar guitars are available used for $500-600 but build quality varies a lot.

A buddy of mine has the CV 50, and it's a great little guitar.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Best Bang for the dollar? In 2001 or 02, the set neck Squier double fat telecaster deluxe was offered for a price of $399.00. I wanted one terribly but couldn't bring myself to shell out $400 for Squier (sorry, but yes, I'm one of those people). I mean I had several Squier guitars and played them all the time and loved to tinker with them. Now fast forward to 2017, and one appears in my local CL for $200 with a Mar's Music hard shell case, two new set of D'adario string and a fold away stand. Guy I bought it from said he played like 6 times otherwise it was on the stand or the case. Had enough dirt on it that you could grow potatoes on on it. But it had a straight neck with no deep scratches on any of the paint. I'm a notorious low baller but, in this case I just said take my money. It's all stock mahogany body and neck with coil split. I cleaned it, buffed it with a light cutting compound, polished it, polished the frets, put on new strings, set it up and it's awesome.

Before and after fret Polish. No steel wool used (ever)
    Last edited by mikesr1963; 04-05-2018 at 01:27 PM.

nice job on those frets, what do you use?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    nice job on those frets, what do you use?
    Clay polishing compound and a dremel tool. When done you can literally see your face in them. First time I polished a set that way they were so slick that it made me over bend notes until I got use to them.

I used 8000 grit cloth, then Mejeirs polishing compound on the Squier neck on my LPB strat build. The smoothness of the frets is something that takes getting used to. I want to get some fret erasers, too.

There are fretless basses. Why not fretless guitars?

Musician's Friend often has G&L "teles" on their Stupid deal of the day. Often around $300.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    There are fretless basses. Why not fretless guitars?
    I think they're called violins