Thread: About Am Std Strats and their tone knobs - useful info

About Am Std Strats and their tone knobs - useful info

I just came across this article about the recently renamed American series of Strats.

My main guitar is one of them, but I never knew that Fender had made some wiring and tone dialing innovations when the series was called "American Standard".

What I found more interesting (I never knew that, I never tried to mess with that knob because I always thought Strats didn't have a tone control for the bridge pickup ) is that the guitar’s rear-most tone knob works on not just the middle pickup but the bridge pickup as well.

I accidentally came across this article on Guitar Player mag, and was positively surprised to know that I had even more tonal possibilities with my strat than I had thought!

"The one pickup that really needs some high-end roll off now has it. And because it’s the Delta Tone No-Load pot, there is a detent when the Tone knob is all the way open and that takes it completely out of the circuit, so you have all the zing and brightness you could want. But rolling it back to even 7 or 8 makes for a much fuller and more rock-approved bridge pickup tone."

Worth a read:

http://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/101...lecaster/50363

I think most Am Std owners will know that, but if you don't, check it out!

Re: About Am Std Strats and their tone knobs - useful info

Thanks for the info.

I use the bridge pup when I want either a thin tone or, when dirtied up, something that really slices through the mix. I'm not sure that my Strat has that detente. I believe it was rewired after I had the Fender Noiseless pups put in and then went quickly towards the 57/62s, which offer me exactly what I want from a Strat.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: About Am Std Strats and their tone knobs - useful info

Last edited by HighPlainsDrifter; 10-09-2017 at 05:10 AM.