Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering a break from music

Re: Considering a break from music

Read the rock on brother.
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

Willie, I live with someone who has battled depression for decades and I'm not completely unaware of the situation.

I'm going to say this: Depression and anxiety is something you have, it's not who you are. It will affect your life, but it shouldn't define your life or who you are. By suck it up I don't mean in the drill sergeant calling you "Cupcake" way. I mean, "You know what, I don't want to do this right now but I'm going to anyway because it's the right thing to do."

Others experience may vary, but I've seen too many times when someone who deals with a mental health issue starts to use it as a crutch. It becomes a very, very handy and easy excuse to get out of doing anything. And it can be insidious and they don't even know it's happening.

I'm no medical professional, but I do know that someone close to me has told me that they really appreciated me not giving up on them and keeping them motivated during the dark times.

Meds - I have my opinion but I'll keep that to myself.

Enough. How about somebody starts a music or guitar-realted thread?

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

You don't get it, Chuck, but that's okay. And you don't have to look at this thread if you don't want to--it's not like it prevents anyone from posting a different thread. I thank everyone for taking the time to respond. I won't be updating my ordeal here any longer. I'm not pouting, just don't want to carry on and get angry. There's enough awful stuff happening in the world without my creating tension here.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I don't see a reason why there should be any tension in this thread.

In a sum, just try to get some peace of mind about music, Willie. There's nothing wrong with taking a break, and picking up the guitar again. Most of the times we come back playing even better, due to having relaxed and having a chilled mood about the playing.

You write music as well, and the time you spend thinking and doing other stuff might even refresh your ideas and make you come up with new songs.

Anyway, I know what depression is all about too. And it's not an easy illness to deal with. BUt like Chuck said (I really liked the line) depression is something you have, it's not who you are.

Don't forget that you are an awesome fellow, and you will be fine.

P.S. I'd appreciate some more pics of that Martin of yours. It makes me awfully jealous (in a good way).

Thanks, Sergio!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison