Thread: Very Cool Reverb

Very Cool Reverb

One of my former students drops by to play guitar whenever he comes back to town.

He LOVES my 05 DRRI, and he turns the reverb up to 8. Ha ha, he loves that reverb so much--surf etc. I usually have the reverb on 1 or 2, and that's plenty for me, but he saturates it, and it just sounds damned great for the stuff he writes and plays.

I love my amp too, and I always get compliments on its tone. I'll bet vintage Deluxes sound even better, but I think Fender got it right with my DRRI. Barring catastrophe--or the deal of a lifetime on a Bassman--I don't think I'll ever get another guitar amp.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Re: Very Cool Reverb

I have a mint (2 prong, no caps changed) 65 that is the cat's azz! I played it against a new one that still had the tags on it and one that had been broken in but was the new HW as well. The brand new one was a TAD (and I mean a small amount) harsher when played straight off the wall power. The broken in one we plugged through my Tone Preserver and I had a very hard time picking it out from my actual 65. I mean to get one, but am actually thinking about the SF rather than the BF to get the tweed they loaded on the off channel tone stack. Fender is doing some simply awesome reissues in my opinion. I don't collect vintage amps anymore because so many new ones are so good and present fewer problems. About the only think I insist on anymore is handwired (or I suppose technically "no mini circuit boards") for ease of troubleshooting and futzing with. If you go for a Bassman I would STRONGLY suggest looking at the Clark Piedmont. It sounds dead on at a fraction of the cost. I got a Victoria 410 first and I like it a lot as well, but the Clark is more sparkly. Hell, if you really like that tone I think you should at least TRY a new Fender handwired 57 Pro. The tone is VERY similar but that 15" speaker makes it easier to carry, the 35 watts makes it easier to use and it's flat out gorgeous sound. I am definitely the Large Tweed wheelhouse on favorites. Wish you could stop by and try them side by side. All of my tweeds are new though, not actual vintage. The 65 below is the vintage one.

Thanks for the advice--I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

+1 on Clark. I have one of his Deluxes. Bassman is a very different amp than Deluxe though. I also like JTM45s and esp 45/100s.

The DRRI is a good amp I like them a lot if you bias them hotter than stock and get the right speaker in there.

I have played a 64 (vintage not the upcoming reissue) and I do think it was pretty special.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Thanks for the advice--I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me.
    I would not offer advice to you. You know a lot more than I ever will and I assure you, and your skills will always be better as well I am certain. I have chased Bassman's seemingly forever. Each time I come back from a trip to buy one I usually buy a clone. I have many clones.

I would like very much to try one of the 57 Pro. I like the lo power tweed and played both that came to the state of NH. It's been something like 10 years now since those came out and so far only two have ever made it this far. Still haven't seen any of the 57 tweed reissues here yet. I guess we aren't worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I would not offer advice to you. You know a lot more than I ever will and I assure you, and your skills will always be better as well I am certain. I have chased Bassman's seemingly forever. Each time I come back from a trip to buy one I usually buy a clone. I have many clones.
    Nothing wrong with clones. From what I hear from our friends here, some of them sound better than the originals.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I would like very much to try one of the 57 Pro. I like the lo power tweed and played both that came to the state of NH. It's been something like 10 years now since those came out and so far only two have ever made it this far. Still haven't seen any of the 57 tweed reissues here yet. I guess we aren't worthy.
    The 15 just opens things up that make you go "Oh!". On a tweed even. Every note in every chord...By the way, the low power twin is back out as a 57 in the same reissue group with a Deluxe and a Champ. And I got it wrong above, the Pro is 26 watts.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Nothing wrong with clones. From what I hear from our friends here, some of them sound better than the originals.
    old Fenders were pretty good but reissues frequently sound better than "typical" examples from companies that were a bit less consistent like Marshall, Magnetone, etc.

I do think the clones are better than what Fender today makes. when you charge more and make less, that shouldn't be too surprising though.