Thread: An open letter to my customers

An open letter to my customers

Please, if you have questions about the job ask.

If you have questions about the material on the job, ask.

If you think something has gone missing or has possibly been stolen, ask.

Today's shitfest could have so easily been avoided.

What is not acceptable is to accuse me or my coworkers of theft in front of the entire jobsite.

There is no shiny or magical item anywhere that would lead me to theft.

My coworkers share these beliefs.

Just so we are clear, what you held me responsible for stealing today, was, now get this, mine!

Not yours, not someone else's property, but MINE!

Next time something like this happens, another electrician will finish the job.

That is all, have a great day!
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Re: An open letter to my customers

Back in my plumbing days I was working with my dad years ago in a home and the wife kept asking questions in a very accusatory manner. My dad fianlly said to her, "you must have really been screwed by a contractor sometime in your life, because it is obvious you don't trust me. I can't work that way. We're going to pick up our tools and leave and I won 't charge you for the time we already spent". She made us coffee and became a life-long customer - and I learned a very valuable lesson!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

I'm in auto repair, and mostly have a regular customer base. We all know and trust each other.
    A few years ago a (transplant), brought her old rust bucket in, and I put together an estimate, with the admonition that broken bolts would be charged extra. She told me that was outrageous, and she couldn't possibly buy that! I told her the Jeep was outside ready for her to come pick up. About a week later she called and said she was going to authorize the work, but to let her know as soon as possible the extra charges. I told her I wasn't sure I would accept her as a customer. She said I had to! I told her that we work on trust, she has to trust us, or go somewhere else, and we have to trust that she will pay the bill when finished, and the repairs needed were very close to the value of the rust bucket. She later came by the shop and gave me a check for $500, and pleaded with me to fix her car. We did, and only had 1 broken bolt to contend with! We maintained that car for a few years until I convinced her to invest in another vehicle.

I deal with a lot of people in the contracting business.One of the best things to do with a potential customer is interview them just like they are you. Look for red flags such as.

I just want a quick job nothing fancy.

I want you to use such and such product because it's rated #1.

The job should be really easy to do.

I did that to pay my way through collage.

If you do a good job for the right price I have lots of work for you.

Do you do estimates over the phone?

Do you offer free estimates?

#1 rule to run a Contracting business by: know your numbers so you can set your price and stick to it!

#2 rule. Never accept a low paying job expecting it to gain you more profitable work.

Just a few off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    I deal with a lot of people in the contracting business.One of the best things to do with a potential customer is interview them just like they are you. Look for red flags such as.

I just want a quick job nothing fancy.

I want you to use such and such product because it's rated #1.

The job should be really easy to do.

I did that to pay my way through collage.

If you do a good job for the right price I have lots of work for you.

Do you do estimates over the phone?

Do you offer free estimates?

#1 rule to run a Contracting business by: know your numbers so you can set your price and stick to it!

#2 rule. Never accept a low paying job expecting it to gain you more profitable work.

Just a few off the top of my head.
    I had a great internal early warning system. There are those calls when you tell yourself, "just hang up!" "This is going to end horribly". Of course I usually ignored the warning and usually I got screwed...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain