Thread: So that's what they sound like...

So that's what they sound like...

Every week, I go out to different open mic\blues jams on Wednesday nights and Thursday nights. On Wednesday night, I took my old fave American Standard Strat... and then let someone else play it for a while and I listened to it. It was fairly clean, unmic'ed with no effects. It really sounded good to me and very "big". I really like the pickups in that guitar and it is totally stock. On Thurday night, I took my 2016 American Standard with a Shawbucker in the bridge and 2 Fat 50's. I stood in the back and while I liked the sound very much, I was shocked at how different the guitar sounded. The same guy played it (and very well too!!!), but it had a totally different sound. I am pretty sure it was the same amp both nights. At home, I hear a difference, but at gig volume, the two guitars had very different personalities. The Shawbucker sounded much rawer to my ears than I thought it sounded, very much early 70's classic rock. The Fat 50's were very clear, but very in your face. Maybe the pickup heights are different. Anyway, has anyone else heard their guitar from the crowd and not from the stage? It is a totally different experience. I was very pleased with both of my guitars, but I can see where there is a chance where someone might not be. Next week, I will take my Strat with JB'jr\lil 59'ner\lil59'ner. I usually gig with it because it is 100% quiet. I get a lot of compliments on that guitar, but I guess I need to hear it from out front to know what it really sounds like. Then there's the ASAT Special, and the Washburn HB 35s. I got MojoTone PAF's in that Washburn. Sounds great at home!!!!
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Re: So that's what they sound like...

damn, do i miss going to open mic jams. If I had known what the future around here was going to be like, I would have gone to more of them while I could. Now I can't go out at night unless I find somebody to stay with my mom. I never got married and had kids but I still got to find a babysitter now if I want to do anything. Not that I even know of any around that are any good. The four places I used to know don't have jams and at least 2 of them don't even do live music anymore. Too many people living near them complaining about noise.

Because I'm one of those weird lefties, no one's ever played my guitar while I was in the audience.

Ha ha. I've always been kind of glad because I've seen people beg my righty friends to play their guitars and have always been glad no one asked to touch mine. Now I see the downside of being lefty...
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I run a jam every thursday and sometimes I get lucky enough to play. Sometimes, I let someone I know play one of my pieces and agree - its cool to hear what someone else pulls out of your stuff. Every now and then I am asked to play someones bass or guitar jsut so that THEY can hear it.

Willie - funny, We have a young guy who is a lefty. He broke a string and asked to borrow someone elses guitar - he actually plays a right hand guitar - strung right handed... but plays it lefty....... He wouldn't know what to do with yours!

Note guy on the left

Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Kenny, I originally learned bass and guitar with the strings upside down. I wasn't bad at it. Tried it recently and had lost a bit of that ability. Thank goodness for left handed guitars. I was so proud of my first left hander and still am--my Rickenbacker bass. My first lefty 6 string was a Japanese Ibanez Artist, the guitar I most regret having let go of. And those suckers go for a pretty penny these days.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

My buddy and I swap basses once in awhile and it's interesting to hear how different we sound. We'll use the same rig, and it's really surprising to hear how much different things are just by changing the musician!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

When I shop for guitars I often go with a buddy that can play better than I do so I can hear what the guitar really sounds like.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    When I shop for guitars I often go with a buddy that can play better than I do so I can hear what the guitar really sounds like.
    I ALWAYS do that. The only way to buy one IMO.

I like to listen to other people playing mine too. I dare to say we do listen to music differently when we're playing it.

Back 35+ years ago I walked into an open jam at the Up and Under pub on Brady in Milwaukee and I hear this tall goober on stage making a Strat with no effect pedals really sing on stage. He got done playing and gave the guitar back to its owner who didn't come close to the tone of that tall dude. It was the first time I saw Greg Koch play and it has stayed with me. It seems like a lot of that guitar's sound came from the hands of the person playing it regardless of pickups, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Back 35+ years ago I walked into an open jam at the Up and Under pub on Brady in Milwaukee and I hear this tall goober on stage making a Strat with no effect pedals really sing on stage. He got done playing and gave the guitar back to its owner who didn't come close to the tone of that tall dude. It was the first time I saw Greg Koch play and it has stayed with me. It seems like a lot of that guitar's sound came from the hands of the person playing it regardless of pickups, etc.
    I'm sure it's partly in the hands--we each pick the strings with different levels of attack. A buddy of mine played a 1993 AmStd Strat and never could get tone out of it. Another of our bandmates grabbed it and made it sound wonderful, each playing with the same setup. The second guy was a better player, but it had more to do with his touch than anything.