Thread: Midrange knob on a DR?

Forum Member

Midrange knob on a DR?

I really love my '72 SFDR, but I wish it had a midrange tone knob like on my Twin. Is there a vintage Fender amp that's very similar to a DR but with adjustable midrange?

Thanks,
    The Dragon

Forum Member
    No adjustable midrange on a 6V6 amp, sorry. You only got that on Super Reverbs and Twins.

If you want more mids, you can change the 6.8k mid resistor to a larger value.

Re: Midrange knob on a DR?

Originally posted by Saxdragon
    I really love my '72 SFDR, but I wish it had a midrange tone knob like on my Twin. Is there a vintage Fender amp that's very similar to a DR but with adjustable midrange?

Thanks,
    The Dragon
    Adding a midrange control is a very esy mod ...BUT you would have to find an unused jack or other Existing Hole for the pot. Drilling a new hole in the chassis is strictly Forbidden

Forum Member

Mids on the DR

Got the mod out of dan Torres, book "Inside Tube Amps"....took out the RCA jacks for the footswitches(or is it feetswitch?) and put in the midpot in one hole and a presence control in the other hole and got a couple of old white Fender knobs with the black line on them and am going for it on the gig with this currently...the long tailed pair driver from the early 60's brown and early Tweeds mod is not a beginners mod and should not be attempted at home unless you really know what you're doing...also,YRMV depending on the guitars used...a lot of people like DR's just the way they are and don't change a thing...I happen to have 2 very different sounding geets and wanted those particular options....you may be able to just do the mid mod and leave the trem jack in....but I didn't.
    I highly reccomend you let your amp tech do this if you do not have the knowledge base,as I have shocked the shit out of myself a couple of times already
    Maybe that's why I am from Mars...
    GFM

Forum Member
    I recommend staying FAR, FAR away from "Mr. T. " and his mods.

I've tried adding midrange and/or presence controls to Fenders that didn't have them, and while they 'worked' I can't say any of them improved the tone to my ears, and I always ended up changing them back to stock.

Combining bits of a couple of the more reasonable suggestions here, if you find a second resistor value in the mid circuit that sounds good to you, you could get a push/pull pot (of the correct value) to replace one of the existing controls (no new holes! Ever! Well, almost ;)) and toggle between the two values.
    5E3 Deluxe, '74 hardtail, Strat XII, many copies.

Originally posted by Tremo
    I recommend staying FAR, FAR away from "Mr. T. " and his mods.
    I heard recently the the dreaded "Mr. Dan T." is retired/retiring. I hope his drill is retired too.

:wav :wav :wav :wav :wav :wav :wav :wav

Forum Member

Mid mod...

I don't disagree that some of the DT stuff is crap...however,Ken Fisscher of Trainwreck fame also makes mention of it in the"Desktop Reference to Hip Guitar Amps"by Gerald Weber,as well, the diagram in Torres book is NOT complicated and easy for a beginning amp tinkerer...was not suggesting that one goes and messes about with a legitimate legend or desert island classic,just that a mid control can be added inexpensively with out trashing the amp...once again just my experience.
    Play it Loud,
    GFM