Thread: American Standards Anyone?

American Standards Anyone?

Over the last 20 years, I've owned three American Standard Strats.

At present, I have a 2008 AmStd Strat, a 2011 AmStd Tele, and a 2013 AmStd Jazz Bass. In the Strat, I have 57/62s, in the Tele Nocasters, and the Jazz Bass is stock. All of them in 3-tone sunburst. I dig the color so much.

I couldn't be happier with these guitars.

I see a lot of you have Road Worns, Signatures, and CS guitars. But how many of us own American Standards now?

I know of Sergio's and High Plain Drifter's Strats.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: American Standards Anyone?

Unfortunately, I'll have to find a new image-hosting site so that I can post some more pics of her. Photobucket decided to delete all my photos... ugh!

Hey... Glad you remembered mine!

The best Strat that I ever had was a 1996 Am. Std. that I bought new. It replaced a '93 that I never cared for. Unfortunately, I sold the '96 for a "better" Strat.

2002 AmSe Telecaster. I love the color of the wood!

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

GJ, I love natural finishes on guitars, especially on Teles and my Rickenbacker 4001 (maple glow).
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Same here... especially with maple fret-boards. Love that Tele!

there's an Am Std Strat in this green color with rosewood fingerboard that I find attractive. The one I played at my GC was rather heavy and in dire need of a setup and had a frying egg noise. The sales guy helpfully suggested playing in the between pickup selector switch position.

The Squier I played after it was much better except for the crackly output jack

Okay, so I admit I'm "ignant." I believe the American Standard preceded the current American Professional. Or is it the American Elite?

I swear, the marketers have gone completely loco. Looking at
    Fender's Stratocaster page, it's easy for me to get confused. There are a bunch of "series" guitars:

• American Professional
    • American Elite
    • American Special
    • American Vintage
    • Artist
    • Classic
    • Deluxe
    • Limited
    • Offset
    • Standard

And the only thing that differentiates them are the colors and the price. I mean, really?

Indeed, I am all for the American Standard/Professional line as a high-end player's guitar.

It's not a premium instrument, not a deluxe item, nor is it collectible, but it is, like the name says, the "Standard" Fender guitar meant to be the modern classic of the brand.

I played most of my gigs with mine, entirely stock, and NEVER had a single issue.

OS

The American Professional is basically an updated American Standard. Before the American Standard, Fender called them the American Series and before that, it was the American Standard, so don't be surprised if it changes back to American Standard again. It's mostly marketing.

2017: American Professional
    2008-2016: American Standard
    2000-2007 American Series
    1986-2000: American Standard

This may not be totally accurate, but it's close.
    Last edited by ch willie; 07-08-2017 at 07:17 AM.

*cue old timey banjo and piano*

well, sonny, I remember back in the day, when we used to tie onions to our belts because that was the style back then, and nickels had bees on them and you'd ask for change for a dime by saying 'gimme two bees, please' ... uh ... what was I talking about?

Oh yeah, when I bought my strat in '74, there was only Stratocaster. The choice you had to make was what color and maple or rosewood. I should have gone rosewood. Lousy piece of shit maple neck had poly over the frets and two of the pickups sucked. I was a noobie, I didn't have anybody who could tell me that I spent 444 dollars on a lame duck of a guitar. But my point is there was only the stratocaster and nothing else.

Oh, and I suppose you could choose between hard tail and trem but I didn't even know they existed at the time. Today? sheesh.

TFF Stage Crew

Still have the white American Series in my avatar, but this is pretty much all I play in our regular sets--2015 American Standard. The bridge pickup is now a "rails" mini-humbucker, but all else is stock. It beats all other Strats I've owned (12 in all) except for the white one in the avatar (which is pretty much a direct tie) and a CS '54 Relic I owned and wish I hadn't sold.

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post

Still have the white American Series in my avatar, but this is pretty much all I play in our regular sets--2015 American Standard. The bridge pickup is now a "rails" mini-humbucker, but all else is stock. It beats all other Strats I've owned (12 in all) except for the white one in the avatar (which is pretty much a direct tie) and a CS '54 Relic I owned and wish I hadn't sold.
    I love this color and look!

Forum Member

+1

It really is a beautiful guitar!

TFF Stage Crew

Thanks! I'm still in love with it even after almost two years.

I am happy with my 2004 and 2016 Shawbucker American Standard Series (?) guitars. My favorite of the two is the SSS 2004.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Quote Originally Posted by concert410 View Post
    I am happy with my 2004 and 2016 Shawbucker American Standard Series (?) guitars. My favorite of the two is the SSS 2004.

Hey, another old time member coming back! Welcome back, brother!

Missed you, concert410!!!

I'm back. Never really went away, just hadn't had the time to post. I did miss you guys and now that I have the time again, you'll be stuck with me.
    BTW ch willie, I have a 1978 Mapleglo Ric 4001.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Quote Originally Posted by concert410 View Post
    I'm back. Never really went away, just hadn't had the time to post. I did miss you guys and now that I have the time again, you'll be stuck with me.
    BTW ch willie, I have a 1978 Mapleglo Ric 4001.
    Mine's a 78 Mapleglo too. Brother!

I bought my last American Standard (2016 Shawbucker) about 2 months before the price went down and the new Professionals came out. I really like my guitar and don't feel like I have to have one of the new Professional models. I am on the fence about whether I like the HSS model better than the SSS.

I have a '93 american standard tele in sherwood green.
    I also have a 2015 strat w/ shawbucker in neck position (this might be called a "fat strat").
    Then there is the 1980 natural ash body strat with a thick coat of poly. sits in the corner needing a fret job.
    All of these have maple fretboards. I have tried to buy a rosewood but it never seems to happen...not yet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by the jaywalker View Post
    I also have a 2015 strat w/ shawbucker in neck position (this might be called a "fat strat").
    Then there is the 1980 natural ash body strat with a thick coat of poly. sits in the corner needing a fret job.
    All of these have maple fretboards. I have tried to buy a rosewood but it never seems to happen...not yet anyway.
    I'd say you have some great Strats.

Quote Originally Posted by the jaywalker View Post

Welcome aboard.

Pictures are very welcome!

Interesting I never saw this thread - though for a while my appearances here were sporadic to say the least.
    My Strat is a 2000 American Standard - just before they switched over to American Series. Black, with rosewood board and white PG - on the left in my avatar.
    I haven't done anything to it except change strings since I've had it - I did deck the trem early on, but in the past year or so, I switched back to floating - I have it set to pull up a half step, I think. I definitely get more of the Strat "quack" this way than decking it - it's amazing what a difference it is. A little more finicky to keep in tune this way, but better than a Floyd.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    Interesting I never saw this thread - though for a while my appearances here were sporadic to say the least.
    My Strat is a 2000 American Standard - just before they switched over to American Series. Black, with rosewood board and white PG - on the left in my avatar.
    I haven't done anything to it except change strings since I've had it - I did deck the trem early on, but in the past year or so, I switched back to floating - I have it set to pull up a half step, I think. I definitely get more of the Strat "quack" this way than decking it - it's amazing what a difference it is. A little more finicky to keep in tune this way, but better than a Floyd.

Just like mine, black-RW-White PG.

If you guys don't mind, let's start an American Standard Club here! Post your favorite pic of your Am Std Strat, everyone!

The phtot link seems to have died a while ago so I thought I'd post this one again...

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Here’s one of the good pics I got. She’s a babe

My American Standards: