Thread: I chose the Jazz

I chose the Jazz

I've always wanted a Precision but when it came down to it a few years ago, I went for a Jazz. Geddy, John Paul Jones, you know. I spent a good hour jamming on it today and realized beyond a doubt that I made the right choice for me.

You ever have that struggle? I mean, one day, when the money flows more freely, I might get a P bass too, but for now, I'm happy I went for the Jazz.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: I chose the Jazz

I want the Jazz neck and the P body. Someday I will, oh yes, I will.

I chose a Jazz Bass over a P Bass when I bought a bass way back when. It just seemed to have a tone that I preferred plus a little more versatility. I'm not a bass player and seldom played it and sold it a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I want the Jazz neck and the P body. Someday I will, oh yes, I will.
    That's ideal for me too because my hands handle the smaller neck. That was a big factor when I decided on my Jazz Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I chose a Jazz Bass over a P Bass when I bought a bass way back when. It just seemed to have a tone that I preferred plus a little more versatility. I'm not a bass player and seldom played it and sold it a couple of years ago.
    I agree that it's versatile. I'm able to dial in that classic Precision thump, not exactly but close enough. Since I'm not a regularly gigging bassist, I have a hard time justifying the purchase of a Precision. Still, I love the looks and sound of P basses.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

like!

I have to force myself to play my J, it's a nice Squier I put DiMarzio Area J's in. I've just always been a P Bass guy. And all my P Basses have J necks on them, I have little girl hands... The standard P neck is too wide for me.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    I have to force myself to play my J, it's a nice Squier I put DiMarzio Area J's in. I've just always been a P Bass guy. And all my P Basses have J necks on them, I have little girl hands... The standard P neck is too wide for me.
    As soon as money gets less tight, I might do a Warmoth build. I'd love a P bass with a Jazz neck.

Heck, find a nice used MIM or Squier and change the neck. My #1 P bass is a Squier body with a J neck. Aurora Customs on Reverb sells WD and other Fender licensed necks for around $200. That's who I've been buying from. LOVE Warmoth, got several of them, but Aurora comes prefinished AND with the decal!

My MIM Jazz had a really nice neck! The shape, size, wood and build quality were really nice. The bass played really well but was somewhat letdown by the dull sounding pickups. My bass player friend's well worn early '70s Jazz blows me away with it's nasty, nasty tone! Crazy growl! That thing is badass (so's the player). I was never enough of a bass player to do anything about mine.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    For me, it's the "J" all the way... The tonal possibilities are endless...

I never get tired of seeing that one!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

That's a beauty! Stack Knobs are my favorite J!!!

Definitely a beauty!

I started on a Jazz back in '63 that was traded for a new Precision in late '64/early '65 that was my main axe until the mid '70s when I picked up a used Jazz with a P neck on it. That used Jazz was the go to axe until I switched to playing 5 string basses in the mid '80s.

I still have the Fender Jazz and Precision basses but haven't really gigged with them for many years.

Laker, that Jazz with the Precision neck sounds interesting. I've heard of quite a few players with the P body and Jazz neck but never a P neck on a Jazz body.

I know I've shown shots like this one before, but hey, it's a new day.

Last edited by ch willie; 07-17-2017 at 11:30 AM.