Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Re: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

nice

is that the traditional you talked about trying?

I tried to start working on my tele last night, went to mount the neck pickup to the pickguard. Found out that the rubber tubes are too short they were meant for a body mount not a pickguard mount. now I have to order some freaking rubber tubes that should cost .0001 cent and pay 6 or 7 dollars.

Forum Member

If you know anybody using oxygen, I'll bet they would give you some tubing. (I used some to mount a pickup last year).

funny you should say that. my mom has an oxygen set up that was brought in after her hospital stay last month. She has since stopped needing it and we're waiting for the doc to give the ok to send it back. But we don't own it and there isn't any of the soft tubing that is good for the pickup mounting anyway.

I have lots of silicone model airplane fuel line that works the nuts and lasts for, well we don't know how long because it has never failed over 40 years. Drop me a line or a PM with your snail mail addy and I'll send you some. If you have a hobby shop nearby you can get foot of the stuff for two bucks or so.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Dan, they don't reuse the tubing, I have friends who give me some whenever I visit, as it is replaced monthly. There are two sizes, the long tube from the concentrater, and the smaller tube that is worn, the larger tube will compress nicely, and hold tension for your height adjustment! (It really is used as a spring).
    (I use it at the shop for washer tubing to the rear window, works well)!

I've already have a shipment inbound but I will ask the tech when he picks up the gear if I can have a section of tubing. i don't need 35 feet of it although I could build a hell of a lot of guitars with it

Forum Member

A trifle more than 48 hours ago, but one of these with the adjunct switch device. OE impresses the crap outta me. His stuff is (so far) the ONLY device (Cali76-TXP or the Slide Rig) I consider necessary. I suspect this may be the second device I will require.

I seem to remember you got something like that a while ago, and it was very impressive. I tried to find the same unit but apparently there are multiple versions.

Forum Member

I ordered it a long time ago. There are 2 versions. Regular and custom. I got the custom with the remote switch (it works on the regular as well). The custom (this is a very short definition) allows you to finer tune to a specific amp without moving the main controls. The regular has tuning capability on the side away from you though so it is debatable how much that is worth to you. The thing looks very confusing but in reality, after you get it set for and amp the rest of it is pretty straight forward. There are tons of great tone possibilities on this thing. I am currently impressed with how I can get it to sound like Allman Bros stuff from different performances and albums.

my screws came in today, got the pickups mounted on the bridge plate and pickguard, next I'm going to build up the control plate. Then company comes tomorrow and leaves Monday, don't know how much I'll get done if anything.

I stopped by a yard sale and hidden from view, flat on the ground in its original box, was a Washburn WI-DLX in sunburst. Normally, I wouldn't have given it much more than a chuckle, but the guitar, covered in crud and dust sort of called out to me. I picked it up and the neck was straight, body is a single solid slab of mahogany w/mahogany neck, pots and switches felt solid, and unbelievably, the thing was in tune. So, I took it home for $50. Half hour of scrubbing and changing strings and I plugged her in and even without setting it up, it played great and sounded much better than I expected. The pots, input jack, and selector switch weren't even scratchy. It will never be more than a beater, but with its set neck, and Duncan USD pickups, for $50., I got a guitar that sounds a bit like an SG, and holds tune. It cleaned up well.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

What a great bargain!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by concert410 View Post
    I stopped by a yard sale and hidden from view, flat on the ground in its original box, was a Washburn WI-DLX in sunburst. Normally, I wouldn't have given it much more than a chuckle, but the guitar, covered in crud and dust sort of called out to me. I picked it up and the neck was straight, body is a single solid slab of mahogany w/mahogany neck, pots and switches felt solid, and unbelievably, the thing was in tune. So, I took it home for $50. Half hour of scrubbing and changing strings and I plugged her in and even without setting it up, it played great and sounded much better than I expected. The pots, input jack, and selector switch weren't even scratchy. It will never be more than a beater, but with its set neck, and Duncan USD pickups, for $50., I got a guitar that sounds a bit like an SG, and holds tune. It cleaned up well.

Where's that dang "like" button?

Yeah, I got lucky. It has a very full, but clear sound. Well, the neck pickup is a bit muddy, but I am hoping that a height adjustment will get it right. I want to get it set up this weekend and then fine tune it.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

you know we're going to need pictures now, don't you?

I have never been able to post pictures, but I will try again when I get home.
    Last night, I could see that I need a neck adjustment after putting on heavier gauge strings.
    That guitar has never been set up so it is to be expected. I did spend some time adjusting pickup heights last night and I still see some potential.
    For an inexpensive import, I think it will make a nice addition to the herd. It has Grovers and a very Gibson-like headstock. A nice aged binding around the neck and headstock is a classy touch.

Forum Member

Nothing properly guitar-related, but my iPhone got trashed due to a fall, so I got a new one. I use it a lot for music-related activities, such as recording, tuning and taking pics of my gear and venues.

A 9volt battery for the transmitter on my old X2 wireless system that I used for a Sunday gig. I’d much rather used my G55 Line 6 wireless but that is permanently built in to my larger bass rig. The X2 is part of my little Eden WTX500 rig that weighs around 1/3 of the high powered rig and it fits nicely into little intimate settings.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post
    Yeah I know.....

My guitar looks just like the one in this video.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOmmswCqpX8

Quote Originally Posted by concert410 View Post
    Yeah I know.....

My guitar looks just like the one in this video.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOmmswCqpX8
    That’s a great looking guitar.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

My clean booster was repeatedly bugged, so I just ordered myself a new Electro Harmonix boost

Forum Member

I bought a wheeled kitchen rack that carries 500 pounds.

A set of D'Addario Classic Nylon, silverplated wound, clear nylon strings for the nifty guitar my friend gave me.

I think I'm doing this backwards! I just sold my Carvin SH645 and a Weber Signature 8S Alnico speaker.

I recently picked up a Boom Bass Cab - has two 12" drivers in a box typically sized for 1-12. It is a type of isobaric cab. Under 40 lbs, and has a pull out handle/wheels. Jury is still out on sound - but will update.

From site -
    The BBC Tank 1212 is a 1200 watt 40hm cabinet loaded with 2 12 inch neodymium drivers and our 300 watt horn. This cabinet is our midsize cabinet. For those who love the tight punchy low-end sound and the big rounded mid tones that are sure to cut through the mix, this cabinet will deliver. This cabinet has extra sound ports on the lower sides of the cabinet creating 180 degree sound from the lower woofer, it also has a unique new interior structure design which now allows the woofer to work at extreme high volumes with very little effort. This Cabinet also features a tilt back front baffle which allows sound to travel at a slight upward angle, perfect for the times when you have to stand close to or right over the cabinet. It comes standard with our retractable handle and our rear recessed corner casters for easy mobility, perfect for the working musicians.

Power: 1200 watts 4ohm

Frequency Response: 38Hz – 16KHz

Weight: 38lbs

Size: H. 21″ W. 17″ D. 18″
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I also just recently picked up a second set of early Mackie SRM 450's. I got all four from the same person. Had to replace one tweeter lens ($24 - thank you Amazon). All four set me back $300 - well ......$324 counting the repair part.

I now use these for outside sound gigs, so I don't over work my QSC's. They are LOUD. Add 4 subs, and it is small concert outside volume - not full festival - but 500 people easy. I have done 2 shows with them so far and faired VERY well. the only downside is that they are kind of heavy.

Kenny Belmont

An LP... 1967 edition by a Brazilian band, Os incríveis (the incredible), for a 60s rock project i'm starting with a couple of friends...

Kenny, looking forward to the review on the bass cab.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    An LP... 1967 edition by a Brazilian band, Os incríveis (the incredible), for a 60s rock project i'm starting with a couple of friends...

sergio - you always have the most interesting stuff - thanks man!
    Kenny Belmont

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Kenny, looking forward to the review on the bass cab.
    Thanks Willie -
    I can give you this already.......

It puts out more evenly surrounded bass and very tempered, meaning not huge bottom or over Middy - and sits well in a mix - small to med size room - not overly loud band. I really wanted more bottom - and may still find it after a gig or three. It is definitely not an old school sound, but then again comes in under 40#.

Pick and choose your battles, and if you can ride there on wheels, all the better I say!
    Kenny Belmont

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    sergio - you always have the most interesting stuff - thanks man!
    Thanks, Kenny! Sometimes I refrain from posting about Brazilian stuff here, I keep thinking that you all might find it dull or uninteresting... But then again this forum is by far my favorite one, and showing you my personal things is special to me.

BTW sorry, it's not an LP, it's a compact. English ain't my mother language and sometimes I mess up

GAS attacked me again. I ordered the Electro Harmonix's Soul Food overdrive. Got an used one for a good deal... Can't wait to try it.
    Last edited by S. Cane; 07-31-2018 at 09:09 AM.

About six weeks ago, I bought a $12 guitar stand on Amazon. I was dubious, but when it arrived, I was surprised at it's sturdiness. So I just bought another.

For years, I've gone to my music room to play, but recently I brought the Jazz Bass, the Fender Rumble 40 bass amp, and the Martin into the living room. I ordered the new stand to bring another guitar into the living room. I seem to play more often this way. Down the road, I might bring my DRRI into the living room as well. I live alone, so there's no one here to tell me that I may not do so. The joys of being a single, middle-aged man...

I didn't buy a new PA or Acoustic, or even a new tablet to run my PA - BUT......
    I downloaded a $4.99 program for my XR18 system, called Mixing Station Pro. I am still learning it, and have the original manufacturers OS on my laptops and tablet. This is only available for Android and I have one each....cheap Android tablet.

Overall - I like it, am still learning it and understand that there is so much I can do, and haven't touched it yet. Not even scratching the surface.

That all said - it seems like it is as good as I had been advised by other users. I am playing my acoustic guitars A LOT through the system at home and like how easy it is. I have been mostly laptop with this system, so the transition to tablet is still awkward sometimes. I don't know how to get to some things quickly yet, so I won't be gigging it yet. Not until I can move through the screens without issue.
    Kenny Belmont

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    About six weeks ago, I bought a $12 guitar stand on Amazon. I was dubious, but when it arrived, I was surprised at it's sturdiness. So I just bought another.

For years, I've gone to my music room to play, but recently I brought the Jazz Bass, the Fender Rumble 40 bass amp, and the Martin into the living room. I ordered the new stand to bring another guitar into the living room. I seem to play more often this way. Down the road, I might bring my DRRI into the living room as well. I live alone, so there's no one here to tell me that I may not do so. The joys of being a single, middle-aged man...
    Rock on matey.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

Thanks, old bean

sort of guitar related. since the dearth of radio shacks and the ineptitude of my local home depot to carry a simple 50' spool of speaker wire, I was driven to order one from amazon. Like a pebble dropped down a rocky hillside, the resulting avalanche of furniture moves in my house lead to the makeover of my music room. Which has been stalled by the lack of sufficient footage of 16 gauge RCA speaker wire. Now I'm going to rewire my Pioneer receiver and Advent speakers with properly tinned leads, bundled and tied. I'll be neatening up the snake nest behind the computer desk, all the power cords will be plugged into power bars mounted to the sides/back of the computer desk. I'll be adding a bookcase to the room for more shelf space and last but not least the room next to the music room will become a much neater storage and work area. I'll be doing this for the next week or so. Pictures to follow.

Forum Member

Luxe caps (Grey Ghosts and Bumble Bees), wire and wire covers. Getting ready to start mass-changing pots to VIPots. Vintage taper is awesome.

Also some new power strips for my guitar room. Some LONG (4') huge spaced workbench units and four of these which were on sale for $19.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love the Fender CS tweed cables. Just bought a 25 ft one. Also bought a new mic stand.

Technically, it's not a purchase. My replacement Line6 AMPLIFi 30 practice amp arrived last night. I like this little sucker!