Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,600 of 1815

Thread: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Re: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Scored a Klon
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Chuck, I played through one of those, ( a vintage original ) and I had to wonder if the emperor was wearing any clothes.

What am I missing?
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Forum Member

I am in the process of building an 18W TMB, and have been looking for a suitable speaker, found this at a right price!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I am in the process of building an 18W TMB, and have been looking for a suitable speaker, found this at a right price!
    Bill, I can now see your photos, and nothing has changed on my end as far as I know!
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

No joy here, Bill.

But I'm assuming it's the same enclosure that you e-mailed me the pics of.

Very righteous cab.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

I think my old computers have something to do with my pics not showing up. My tablet is Win 8.1, and both laptop and computer are Win 7, Google doesn't want to play nice unless Win 10 or newer is installed. I've switched browser back to DuckDuckGo so I can visit news sites without locking up. I ordered a new tablet hoping that will make things right again!
    I can't see my pic I posted above on this tablet that I posted earlier from my Win 7 computer!

I know about computers like I know about polo ponies.

I think my old computers have something to do with my pics not showing up. My tablet is Win 8.1, and both laptop and computer are Win 7, Google doesn't want to play nice unless Win 10 or newer is installed. I've switched browser back to DuckDuckGo so I can visit news sites without locking up. I ordered a new tablet hoping that will make things right again!
    I can't see my pic I posted above on this tablet that I posted earlier from my Win 7 computer!
    It's unlikely your computer is the reason others cannot see your photos. I can understand YOU not being able to see them, given the systems you listed are so obsolete they could be considered candidates for a computer museum, but others with newer hardware and software should have no issue.

In fact, it's all about the web browser. The underlying framework of all browsers is the core technology, known as its rendering engine. The three most common engines are WebKit (Apple), Blink (Google Chrome and all other Chromium-based browsers, notably Microsoft Edge, Brave, Vivaldi, Samsung Internet and Opera) and Gecko (Firefox, Thunderbird and derivatives). The late, unlamented Internet Exploder... er, Explorer (IE) by Microsoft was a known problem that Microsoft refused to address until they came out with Edge. The company I work for plainly states that IE should not be used with our products.

The means to posting photos has been a sticky tutorial here for a while. If you're still trying to attach files to your post, you're likely running into problems with the forum software. TFF uses an old version of vBulletin, v4.2.4. The current stable release is 5.7.1 (version 5 was released in 2012). Problems with file size, type and most likely local storage can all cause problems. That's why I strongly recommend the use of (free) image hosting sites like
    IMGUR or the site I use, POSTIMAGES. I just upload my photos, copy the link that's generated and paste that into my post. I haven't had a glitch posting photos this way since I started doing so.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    Chuck, I played through one of those, ( a vintage original ) and I had to wonder if the emperor was wearing any clothes.

What am I missing?
    The thing with a Klon is it just adds a touch- more. You need to have the amp right on the verge of breakup or it's not worth using. Put a Deluxe on around 4 and then hit the Klon and get back to me. It's not really an effect like an overdrive or distortion or compressor. It just adds a special clarity and a lot of bloom to an amp. I guess that's how I see them, they aren't part of my effects as much as they are part of the amp, if that makes sense. Fender amps love 'em. I've had some big name players tell me they also add the missing sizzle to a Marshall running at 60 Hertz. Marshalls were designed for 50 Hz so many Yanks never get to hear the true awesomeness of a vintage Marshall as it was designed.

I never really got the whole Tube Screamer thing so go figure. Horses for courses I guess.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

The Klon is what people nowadays like to call a “transparent” overdrive, it will boost your signal without adding anything new, which is great if you’re willing to add oomph without changing your tone. A great preamp booster.

The tube screamer, on the other hand, will alter your tone as is pushes the signal, sone people love it, some hate it.

I have a Klon clone (EHX Soul Food), it’s a great pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    The Klon is what people nowadays like to call a “transparent” overdrive, it will boost your signal without adding anything new, which is great if you’re willing to add oomph without changing your tone. A great preamp booster.

The tube screamer, on the other hand, will alter your tone as is pushes the signal, sone people love it, some hate it.

I have a Klon clone (EHX Soul Food), it’s a great pedal.
    For me the Klon is more than just a boost though, it adds a lot of sparkle and cut. I use them to remove the mud and flab from an overdriven amp. I don't use pedals for overdriven tones, I use overdriven amps. Not that I use amps a lot anymore, mostly I use a rack since we don't play large enough venues all the time to get the amps hummin'. But when we do, I'll sometimes use a Deluxe and a Classic 30 together and baffled. It doesn't suck I tells ya! Having roadies and an equipment trailer is mandatory though.

But yeah, If was just using my old BOSS OD and a RAT the Klon would just be taking up space.

Chuck

I picked up a boss rv6. Tried it with a soul food and the 5e3 we built. They play nice together. Now......to learn to play that strat some more.......
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Some days the stars align perfectly. And when they do, pure joy erupts! That was almost the case as I searched and researched for a hard case for my old (52 years) Framus 12-string, which I intend to get refurbished this year. Most of the cases I checked out were too short, too narrow, too wide or too something. I finally narrowed it down to a Fender Flat Top Dreadnought case, or a Takamine G-Series Dreadnought case. Figuring the Fender name might draw too much attention by baggage handlers and other miscreants, I bought the Takamine. Sweetwater was my supplier, because they have a great return policy.

I won't need to return it. Other that a little space between the neck joint and body, the guitar fits like it was made for it!

Striving to be ordinary

I don't think it gets much better than that, OS.

Ya done good!

That really is a sweet looking guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I don't think it gets much better than that, OS.

Ya done good!

That really is a sweet looking guitar.
    Frankenstein bridge, zero fret, smooth-as-silk ebony fretboard and typical German over-engineering that make it still arrow-straight after almost 53 years. Doesn't project at all because of all the bracing, but it travels well.

Thanks, Roger.
    Striving to be ordinary

It's been a week since I bought it, but a 1998 Rivera Thirty Twenty. Channel 2, with the notch pulled, the Ninja Boost on, and the Volume and TMB controls set to suit, gets a great blackface Fender type clean sound. The dirty sound is a little raw, but it quite tameable. The reverb can get spooky Peter Green-like sounds without getting too crashy. The amp has better flexibilty than many Mesas, with more thoughtful design and slightly better built. And they're cheap, used.

Not strictly guitar related, but I got a new pair of Amber lenses Original KD’s. They’re great for wearing on stage and reducing the glare of the spotlights without losing sight of the fretboard when needed.

Forum Member

I picked up an early RAT, I walked through the house last night, and was surprised to see the lettering, and knob pointers glowing! It has the LM308 chip which some say is what the desirable ones used.

I picked up an early RAT, I walked through the house last night, and was surprised to see the lettering, and knob pointers glowing! It has the LM308 chip which some say is what the desirable ones used.

I'm a big Rat fan! I've had several. I have one from 1986 that's the best sounding Rat I've played.

The Proco is one of the more useful stompboxes, especially if you're into big-hair/heavy-metal tones.

Nice score, Bill!

The RAT is one hell of a good pedal, I’m a fan too. I love how it serves as an overdrive or a fuzzy distortion, as one wishes.

I didn't "buy" it, but was given a Vox AC4TV 4 watt, 1x10" combo yesterday. I'm surprised how much it doesn't suck! Even set "clean", it has some Vox-like grit, and it sounds good until the volume is set about halfway up. The cranked sounds are a little murky. I like it quite a bit, though the built in attenuator (4 watt/1 watt/1/4 watt) doesn't sound very good. The schematic in the service diagram kinda looks like a Vox-ified 5F2A Princeton.

I'd love to hear it with a good speaker and tubes, but I have a feeling that this the kind of amp that sounds good at first, then you hear something that you don't like and never really like it after that.

Does a music stand and headphones count?

Checking out a new group tomorrow that rehearses "ampless." SHOCK! HORROR!

Not real fond of doing it this way.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I didn't "buy" it, but was given a Vox AC4TV 4 watt, 1x10" combo yesterday. I'm surprised how much it doesn't suck! Even set "clean", it has some Vox-like grit, and it sounds good until the volume is set about halfway up. The cranked sounds are a little murky. I like it quite a bit, though the built in attenuator (4 watt/1 watt/1/4 watt) doesn't sound very good. The schematic in the service diagram kinda looks like a Vox-ified 5F2A Princeton.

I'd love to hear it with a good speaker and tubes, but I have a feeling that this the kind of amp that sounds good at first, then you hear something that you don't like and never really like it after that.
    I've had one of those for a while. I do like it - it doesn't have that crystal clear AC30 thing, but it is its own beast.
    I did put better tubes in pretty soon after I got it - that does make a big difference. I've been thinking about a new speaker, but haven;t gotten around to it.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    I've had one of those for a while. I do like it - it doesn't have that crystal clear AC30 thing, but it is its own beast.
    I did put better tubes in pretty soon after I got it - that does make a big difference. I've been thinking about a new speaker, but haven;t gotten around to it.
    I found a 16 ohm Weber Blue Pup alnico with no bell cover at a reasonable price and expect it in a few days.

While I'm waiting for the speaker to arrive, I increased the value of 2 capacitors- C4 and C5 based on what others have done. I also swapped in a new Russian EL84 and a new Tung Sol 12AX7. It sounds better. Less ratty when it breaks up. I may experiment with a 12AY7 and 5751.

I've experimented with running the amp with the back panel off to determine if I want to convert it to open back and actually prefer it with the fully closed back.

I put in a pre-order for a Bluesbreaker pedal and a Guvnor pedal. Hopefully they take their time getting here so I don't have to start paying for them right away.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

I have an orig Guvnor pedal that sounds so good, I didn’t get rid of it when I went Fractal a decade plus ago. Still haven’t been able to duplicate it. I taped the setting to it into a clean amp that instantly offers up Gary Moore Still got the Blues solo tone.

I need to drag it out and try it into the Mesa I got about a year ago. The music room upstairs is all analog as I’m not carrying my rig up and down stairs LOL
    Mark

Well whaddya know? A device/gimmick that actually works!

On another thread I posted an issue about keeping proper time while performing. I have a tendency to speed up (adrenaline? nerves?) when I take the stage and wanted something I could use as a governor. I thought finding a metronome that would work through my Apple Watch's haptics would be the solution, but I found that none of the watch-enabled apps worked very well, and the watch's haptics aren't strong enough to be felt in the "heat of the moment."

I don't recall how I came across the
    Soundbrenner Pulse, but I checked them out and decided to take the plunge. Described as a "wearable vibrating metronome," the Pulse (they have more advanced models) sits on your wrist (ankle, upper arm, wherever) and provides up to six hours of timekeeping. A lot of options are available, and you can pair it with their companion cell phone app, to you can emit sounds or not, change the color, or turn it off, add subdivisions, accents and more. You can create setlists and toggle from song to song with ease. Once I found the right tap speed to turn it on/off setting the beat and fine tuning it hardly requires even looking at it. A tap-sensitive surface and a dial one can turn are all that are needed. Pretty nifty!

Striving to be ordinary

I got this cool stand today through the Amazon Vine program. It was advertised as a bedside/chairside laptop stand, but I immediately saw potential for the music room. It will hold sheet music and other sundry items. The arms swing and elevate as needed - extremely flexible! The kit was also first class - main components preassembled so you just had a minimum amount of assembly to do.

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Well whaddya know? A device/gimmick that actually works!

On another thread I posted an issue about keeping proper time while performing. I have a tendency to speed up (adrenaline? nerves?) when I take the stage and wanted something I could use as a governor. I thought finding a metronome that would work through my Apple Watch's haptics would be the solution, but I found that none of the watch-enabled apps worked very well, and the watch's haptics aren't strong enough to be felt in the "heat of the moment."

I don't recall how I came across the
    Soundbrenner Pulse, but I checked them out and decided to take the plunge. Described as a "wearable vibrating metronome," the Pulse (they have more advanced models) sits on your wrist (ankle, upper arm, wherever) and provides up to six hours of timekeeping. A lot of options are available, and you can pair it with their companion cell phone app, to you can emit sounds or not, change the color, or turn it off, add subdivisions, accents and more. You can create setlists and toggle from song to song with ease. Once I found the right tap speed to turn it on/off setting the beat and fine tuning it hardly requires even looking at it. A tap-sensitive surface and a dial one can turn are all that are needed. Pretty nifty!

I think I gave you the link
    Mark

Well not new, but exchanged. Took my Boss Acoustic Singer Live amp back and got the Boss Acoustic Singer Pro. Same abilities but 120w with 2 8” speakers instead of 60w with 2 6,5” speakers.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    I think I gave you the link
    Indeed you did. Thanks! I like it!
    Striving to be ordinary

Maybe not guitar related...or maybe? It's got strings!

Picked up a Recording King Flying Eagle yesterday:

My daughter kept telling me to get a banjo because I've been talking about them. So I bit the bullet.

It's soooooo nice. My girlie and I are going to learn it together.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Nice. I went the lazy route and got a GoldTone Bangitar a few years ago
    Mark

Forum Member

That's a beauty!
    I picked up an Epi for my wife last year, she says banjo's a little harder than bass!

Bought a couple of John Mayers. Both white. They are the two most consistent guitars I could find. Blindfolded I don't think I could tell one from the other. Other than the typical PRS quality issues (crooked screws, one had the neck angle off so the strings were biased to the bass side - quick easy fix and a good bargaining chip- random pickup heights) I had to sort out they're really nice. Swiss-Army S-Styles is how I describe them.

Chuck

Found some "permanent" label material which makes nice labels for my guitar cases, so I don't have to play "Guess the Case" any more... Laminate material over teh label to keep the ink from rubbing off.

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Found some "permanent" label material which makes nice labels for my guitar cases, so I don't have to play "Guess the Case" any more... Laminate material over teh label to keep the ink from rubbing off.

While I’m not as hi tech, glad to see I’m not the only one who marks cases. Was using painters tape and a sharpee, now using luggage tags. Mucho better for soft cases.

iE I have the same identical soft case for 4 basses. Never want to grab the wrong one. P Bass with flats, P bass with rounds, J bass with wounds, Fretless J bass with tapes. Only the flat P and tape Fretless J can even come close to filling the same role LOL
    Mark

I received a 12" baffle for my Mojotone Princeton Reverb clone. I built this amp over 10 years ago and have always wanted to try a 12" speaker in it. I had a great sounding Eminence GA10-SC64 in it. I replaced that with a GA-SC64 that I bought when I was trying to make a Mesa Fillmore 25 work for me. It sounds great. Fatter, more sparkle, more 3D sounding. It's not noticeably louder. It still sounds like a Princeton Reverb, but with a touch of Deluxe Reverb thrown in. The still only weighs just over 30 pounds so it's still super portable.

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post

This is a timely post for me, as I've been thinking of doing the same thing. Sometimes I'll open a case just to be "surprised" by what's in it, just thinking to swap one guitar for another. On the other hand, sometimes when I'm looking for a specific guitar, it's a guessing game. Solidbody cases and acoustic dreadnought cases all look the same, so without a label, it's hard to remember which is which.

Did you buy blank labels and print out your own photos/names?
    Striving to be ordinary