Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,040 of 1791

Thread: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Re: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Great idea for decoration, pm, and you put those MIM parts to good use. Very cool gift.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

I just ordered an Allan/Heyboer output transformer for my '67 Bandmaster.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Great idea for decoration, pm, and you put those MIM parts to good use. Very cool gift.
    To further personalize this gift I ordered a neck plate stamped with a legitimate Strat serial number that corresponds to her birthday, "61659". It translates to the middle of year group 1961 which the guitar will sorta resemble.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I just picked up a 1983 Marshall JCM 800 4010 50 watt master volume 1x12" combo! It appears to be all original except for tubes. It needs a tune up, but it sounds like rock 'n roll!

Solid score, Don!

I started mocking up my 5E3 project amp this evening -- speaker installed, jacks, knobs, switches, etc mounted on the top panel, tube sockets fitted to the bottom, etc. Looks like everything is going to work as planned.

Nice one, Don!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ordered a few more things.

-A couple of A2 humbucker magnets from Philadelphia Luthier Tools to modify my pickups.

-2 more shouldered deep round nuts for a Les Paul switch.

-A correct poker chip for a Les Paul with gold writing instead of black like what comes on most imports

-A magnet polarity tester from PLT

The wrench I ordered from MusicNomad last time works great. It can remove knobs, tighten round nuts, & tighten hex nuts. It can even tighten pots without removing the knobs. Used the soldering iron I bought to fix a cable that had loose connections. It's so much easier to solder with this new iron. The 25w I had was too small and the 125w gun was too much, even though I've used it multiple times to wire something in my guitar(and it never even degaussed my pickups lol)

I plan on swapping the A5 magnets in my humbuckers for the A2's that are on the way at some point. I'm not in a hurry to get it done because I've never done it so I'm a little hesitant to pull the pickups, remove the covers and swap the magnets. Then solder thr covers back on.

My biggest hang up is the cover at the end. I'm worried about getting it too hot and melting a bobbin or something. I guess I could test heat a bad humbucker and see how much heat it takes before the bobbin starts to melt so I know how far I can go. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by WoundUp View Post
    Ordered a few more things.

My biggest hang up is the cover at the end. I'm worried about getting it too hot and melting a bobbin or something. I guess I could test heat a bad humbucker and see how much heat it takes before the bobbin starts to melt so I know how far I can go. Lol
    I wouldn't worry too much about soldering the cover on, it goes pretty quickly and the base plate will absorb the heat and not melt the bobbin. But practicing on a dead (or unwanted humbucker) isn't a bad idea. You can scratch a small contact patch on the base plate and a corresponding patch on the inside of the cover and the solder will flow more easily. I do the same when soldering wires to the back of a pot. Nothing fancy, a file, sandpaper, even a screwdriver in a pinch. Doesn't have to be big, an 8th of an inch works. If you have a clamp that's even better

Also, if you are reusing a pickup cover that was previously unsoldered, file or sand down the old solder point. It can be sharp and pointy and possibly tear the wire of the coil when trying to put the cover on.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I bought a new nut for the righty Jazz neck that my son and I worked on to convert to lefty. I also got an instrument with aligator clips and a magnifying glass that holds down the wires while you solder, and it has a magnifying glass. It's a well made, heavy and durable for the size.

Having to hold the wire with my fingers while soldering has kept me from doing my own soldering for years.

Another guitar stand. I've gotten to really like the compact, folding stands that don't use a neck support. Just prop your guitar on the stand and the body rests against the (rubber) pad. Easy, light, portable and convenient $20 with freeshipping.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I picked up a Strymon Iridium amp modeller and cab IR pedal. I was thinking of getting a Helix Stomp but was looking at getting away from button pressing and software menus just to play guitar. I wanted a desktop form factor to plug into my DAW for recording and proper dials and switches for physical control (like an amp). So no Line6, no Kemper, etc etc.

I’m pretty pleased so far. The Marshall settings are great. Perfect Malcolm Young tone right out of the box (using my PRS SE Singlecut). I played along with the entire Back in Black album yesterday afternoon. I’m still working out how to use the Vox “chime”’settings. Not a tone set I have a lot of familiarity with. The Fender Blackface/Tweed “round” settings need a bit more work from my end to figure out. Even with my Tele and Gretsch 6120, the tones come across as a little “boxy”. Apparently the three tone controls work differently for each amp/cab combo, and even do different things across their respective frequency spectrums. So a little more experimenting and RTFMing is required. I think it’s a good addition so far.

I’ve used it mostly with my Senn HD600 headphones, so it should be a fairly true representation of the units output. Next up will spend some time recording and some playing through my studio reference monitors.

Solid 7/10 for value so far.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Another guitar stand. I've gotten to really like the compact, folding stands that don't use a neck support. Just prop your guitar on the stand and the body rests against the (rubber) pad. Easy, light, portable and convenient $20 with freeshipping.

got a link to that? I like that style now, too. I got one from MF or Zzounds, but it's a plastic-y affair that doesn't feel terribly solid.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    I picked up a Strymon Iridium amp modeller and cab IR pedal. I was thinking of getting a Helix Stomp but was looking at getting away from button pressing and software menus just to play guitar. I wanted a desktop form factor to plug into my DAW for recording and proper dials and switches for physical control (like an amp). So no Line6, no Kemper, etc etc.

I’m pretty pleased so far. The Marshall settings are great. Perfect Malcolm Young tone right out of the box (using my PRS SE Singlecut). I played along with the entire Back in Black album yesterday afternoon. I’m still working out how to use the Vox “chime”’settings. Not a tone set I have a lot of familiarity with. The Fender Blackface/Tweed “round” settings need a bit more work from my end to figure out. Even with my Tele and Gretsch 6120, the tones come across as a little “boxy”. Apparently the three tone controls work differently for each amp/cab combo, and even do different things across their respective frequency spectrums. So a little more experimenting and RTFMing is required. I think it’s a good addition so far.

I’ve used it mostly with my Senn HD600 headphones, so it should be a fairly true representation of the units output. Next up will spend some time recording and some playing through my studio reference monitors.

Solid 7/10 for value so far.
    Does it have any silver face fender settings? I was (still am) thinking of getting one. Perhaps next time I see it on SW with a 48 month financing I'll grab it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    got a link to that? I like that style now, too. I got one from MF or Zzounds, but it's a plastic-y affair that doesn't feel terribly solid.
    I found it on eBay. There are others, and some in colors, but they run a buck or two more. I'll probably buy another when I re-arrange some furniture.

Here's the link.
    Striving to be ordinary

Does it have any silver face fender settings? I was (still am) thinking of getting one. Perhaps next time I see it on SW with a 48 month financing I'll grab it.
    I don’t see anything explicit for silverface settings - only blackface deluxe reverb and tweed settings. I wonder, though, if you couldn’t get close?

I kept finding a lot of contraindication for silicon and nitrocellulose lacquer. Granted, only three of my guitars have that (the two Gibson Custom Shop and the MJT Strat body) but that has me a little concerned. I can always drape a cloth over the contact points. I just wish it was easier to get a consensus on what the deal with silicon and nitro is. I spent 45 minutes looking and I'm not a whole lot clearer about it than before I began.

hello everyone - i'm new here, and i thought this would be a good place to make my first comment. on sunday i ordered 3 pots, a 5-way, and a cap for a '91 AVRI Strat i recently bought (it came with EMGs). as soon as the parts arrive, i can install the 57/62 pickups (that i ordered last week) and it'll be just a little closer to stock, and hopefully it'll sound great.

Should you find those 57/62's a little too timid, give the Fat '50s a try -- a slightly hotter wind with a bit more grunt in the mids.

Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Should you find those 57/62's a little too timid, give the Fat '50s a try -- a slightly hotter wind with a bit more grunt in the mids.

Welcome to the forum.
    thank you! i have seen the Fat 50s, but i didn't really know how they differed. thanks for the info! i've got a few different Strats with various sets - TX Specials, Fralin Vintage Hot, Suhr V60LP, etc. and to me, they all sound really good! i got the 57/62 set because i figured they were close to what originally came with it, but i'm always interested in trying different stuff. :^)

There's nothing at all wrong with the 57/62's, nothing at all. The Fat 50's merely put a little more "meat on the bone" especially when using a vintage low-powered amp such as a Princeton Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, or Vibrolux Reverb.

I've got 57/62s on my Strat, and I like them a lot, but they are tame. Phantomman is absolutely rights about the Fat 50s. Great pickups. I've bought a second Strat for hotter pups, Duncan Quarter Pounds. If I only had one Strat, I might consider the Fat 50s. You can't lose with those.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I've got 57/62s on my Strat, and I like them a lot, but they are tame. Phantomman is absolutely rights about the Fat 50s. Great pickups. I've bought a second Strat for hotter pups, Duncan Quarter Pounds. If I only had one Strat, I might consider the Fat 50s. You can't lose with those.
    thanks, guys! i can dig.... i think a set of Fat 50s will be my next purchase. i just have to figure out where to put 'em! man, it's great to talk "gear" like this!

Put the Fat 50's in your AVRI and use the 57/62's for a subsequent project or as trading material. A set of CS69's fell into my lap as the result of a trade so I installed them in my MIJ Strat 12-string. The 69's are relatively low-gain pickups but for my specific mission they worked out great, certainly better-sounding than the OEM ceramic junk it came with.

1998 G&L USA Legacy HH (Thursday)
    2004 50th Anniversary Strat (Today)

Cheers

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by anchorsaweigh View Post
    1998 G&L USA Legacy HH (Thursday)
    2004 50th Anniversary Strat (Today)

Cheers

Bob
    Wheeee! A buying spree! You sound like me.

PIcs? I too, have a 50th Anniversary Strat in Aztec Gold. It even has provenance!

And, welcome!
    Striving to be ordinary

I picked up a couple of vintage tube shields for the pre-amp sockets of my 5E3 clone project. I'm currently hunting down a proper gray power cable with molded plug for it. Thus far, everything in it is NOS USA-made. Slow going but it's coming along.

Since buying my first Strat in the mid '80s I've wanted to put a Tele bridge pickup in the bridge position. I mentioned it to the guys at a local music store back then and they said it was a bad idea. I didn't even know it had been done before then.

Nowadays, they make pickups that go for that sound and are a direct fit. I know it won't make my Strat sound as awesome as a Telecaster , but hope it'll fatten up the bridge position a little.

This is going in the MIM Classic '70s Reissue.

interesting. Does it go in without a cover like a Tele bridge? I've wondered about that, too.

I got a Peter Florance bridge pickup, a TE60 I think. I was thinking about putting it in the Esquire but ... not until I start playing through amps again. I'm getting nice sounds through my DAW, audio interface and headphones, but nothing beats a guitar straight into a tube amp for telling you the real story, no matter how much the Helix, Kemper et al folks say otherwise.

Holy crap, I just realized I went past the anniversary of packing my amps for the move. It's been over a year since I've played plugged in (for real.)

interesting. Does it go in without a cover like a Tele bridge? I've wondered about that, too.

I got a Peter Florance bridge pickup, a TE60 I think. I was thinking about putting it in the Esquire but ... not until I start playing through amps again. I'm getting nice sounds through my DAW, audio interface and headphones, but nothing beats a guitar straight into a tube amp for telling you the real story, no matter how much the Helix, Kemper et al folks say otherwise.

Holy crap, I just realized I went past the anniversary of packing my amps for the move. It's been over a year since I've played plugged in (for real.)
    No cover on this pickup. The top bobbin piece is white.

I can't imagine not playing through an amp for a year! It's the carrot that gets me through the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I can't imagine not playing through an amp for a year! It's the carrot that gets me through the day!
    I'm not going to kid you, this has been a very trying year. Moving. finding out how miserably unsoundproof this place is. covid shutdown. selling the house. Having the nephew living with us. elections crap. getting hurt, sick and hurt again. my mom passing.

To quote Grand Funk Railroad "Gotta find me a better day."

I didn't realize how difficult it is to find reverse taper pots for leftiies. I found a few, some way too expensive, others "out of stock". I get sick of having righty pots on some, lefty pots on others, so I bought a lefty harness from Starr. I actually wanted to do all the wiring myself but when you can't find the parts, basta!

Raw Vintage trem springs for my new strat.

Forum Member

I had never thought about it before, but audio pots can't be just wired backwards because of the taper! I guess I've not seen any, what do the manufacturers do when they build lefty guitars?
    Here's one source:
    https://guitarelectronics.com/cts-25...lume-tone-pot/
    https://guitarelectronics.com/cts-50...lume-tone-pot/

Raw Vintage trem springs for my new strat.
    I put a set in my Strat a while ago and really like them! I was using 3 of the springs that came with my Callaham bridge and replaced them with all 5 of the Raw Vintage springs and barely had to adjust the claw for the same setup. I'm using 0.009 to 0.042" strings with the bridge floating 0.045" off the top of the guitar. It feels really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I had never thought about it before, but audio pots can't be just wired backwards because of the taper! I guess I've not seen any, what do the manufacturers do when they build lefty guitars?
    Here's one source:
    https://guitarelectronics.com/cts-25...lume-tone-pot/
    https://guitarelectronics.com/cts-50...lume-tone-pot/
    Yes, Bill, thanks. The 250s are not in stock and don't have a buy button. I was looking for those. I saw the 500s, and great to know they have those.

Well, straight from the factory, some of my American Fenders have had reverse pots, and some had righties. Same thing with Gibsons. I'm grateful to the companies that I was able to get such great instruments--are lefty pots a lot to ask for? Maybe they have a hard time finding a supplier? Or maybe they just don't give a shit? Either way, it's aggravating. I might replace all the righty pots the gear that has them if I can find a decent source.

well, I finally broke down and bought some nut slot files for light gauge electric guitar strings. Based on recommendations, I also got some file backers to hold the three smaller files. I also got a 1/2" nut driver for control pot, tuner and output jack nuts.

I've got so many guitars now and I'm getting pickier about how well they play. With the recording that I'm doing, I need to have consistently tuned guitars so I can get a variety of sounds and have them sound right with each other. I particularly noticed this with a recording I did two years ago with a partsocaster I built and did some dubbing on with the strat I just got. Separately the guitars sounded ok, but when I tried to play the new guitar with the previous track, it was off. I spent hours trying to intonate the new guitar, with mixed results. The strings I could intonate correctly sounded fine with the previous recording. On a couple of the new guitar's strings, the saddles are maxed out and the fretted notes are still sharp. Either I work on the nut or I plug and re-drill the bridge plate holes. Hmm, which one should I do?

As if buying the JCM 800 two weeks ago wasn't enough!

I have some gear sale ads to write!

It ain't a guitar but it will be used with my guitar recordings

Akai Professional MPK mini MKII midi keyboard controller. As much as I adore the guitar, it isn't the only sound out there and I want to compose stuff much like what Vanhaye did with his Cracked Earth video posted recently. I also want to do more with drums than just copy and pasting loops.

one of these.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...idi-controller

Just picked up a brand new Seymour Duncan SH-1B '59 Model single conductor humbucker with nickel silver cover for a STEAL! I saved $40 off regular price on Reverb. I'm stoked! They had marked at $69 plus tax and $9 shipping and I had a '$10 off' credit I've been holding for like 8 or 10 months now. Man I can't wait to get this into my Indio Goldtop singlecut.

https://reverb.com/item/33370345-sey...oem-1c-braided

I've not heard their 59 pickup. I've had Seth Lover and JBs. I have SD Quarter Pounds in my Tele, and I'm putting together a strat that'll have SD SSL-5s.

In other words, I love SDs, and if that pickup is voiced for what you like to play, you'll be quite happy.