Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Re: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Scored a MEsa Subway ---- to go with my MEsa F30 -- and the rest of the mini wall of sound ---for get this
    175.00 !!!!!!!!!!!
    could use new tubes -- but otherwise works and sounds great!!!!!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

to paraphrase Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

"Whoa"

nice score, dude. Is there a story? Can I buy it from you
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by Volumeknob View Post
    Scored a MEsa Subway ---- to go with my MEsa F30 -- and the rest of the mini wall of sound ---for get this
    175.00 !!!!!!!!!!!
    could use new tubes -- but otherwise works and sounds great!!!!!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Dang! I've been wanting to try one of those. I currently have an early '80s Boogie MK IIB, a TA15 and an Express 5:25 and just sold a Studio 22 and have had several other Mesas. I'm thinking about selling the MK IIB and the Express and buying a Fillmore combo.

I just sold an amp and 7 pedal so I'm getting itchy!

lol-- not much of a story -- a friend who introduced me to my FIRST MEsa-- the F30-- (he got a Duel Rectifier and made me a deal) saw the Subway on CL. -- he couldnt take advantage of the score-- but passed ti to me and I made the deal----FAST!

only thing better than a mesa........................2 mesas!!! ;)

I wont sell the mesa--- I am taking offers on the VOX VT20X though ;)
    The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
    T. Roosevelt

it's getting closer !!

film at ... uh, whenever it gets here

Quote Originally Posted by Volumeknob View Post
    lol-- not much of a story -- a friend who introduced me to my FIRST MEsa-- the F30-- (he got a Duel Rectifier and made me a deal) saw the Subway on CL. -- he couldnt take advantage of the score-- but passed ti to me and I made the deal----FAST!

only thing better than a mesa........................2 mesas!!! ;)

I wont sell the mesa--- I am taking offers on the VOX VT20X though ;)
    Like I said, I'm thinking about selling a couple of my Mesas and buying a Fillmore, but the price is putting me off. $1600 and $1700 for the combos!

out for delivery

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    out for delivery

My favorite words!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    My favorite words!
    it's at the mall a mile from my house, but it will probably have 80 kajillion stops to make before it gets here. In some ways that truck locator feature is torture. So near yet so far.

*edit* now it's 6 blocks from my house. this was a mistake clicking on the 'watch the truck' link. burning splinters under me fingernails the wait is
    Last edited by DanTheBluesMan; 06-05-2019 at 09:43 AM.

Finally, it's here. 2018 VM Jazz bass with rosewood fingerboard. I wish it were a little darker but beggars can't be choosers

my poor digits. AH GOT BLISTERS ON ME FINGERS

I need to give it a set up, the A string is fairly sharp at the 12 fret and the E string looks too low. Anybody know how many thous of relief for a jazz bass?

Not too heavy, I need to find my scale and weigh it, bathroom scale says 8 pounds even.

Unfortunately my little Acoustic 260 mini stack doesn't seem to be in the best meddle. frying bacon sounds on the lower notes when they ring for a whole note. Not rattle but a sizzle sound. I highly doubt if it would be worth fixing so I'll probably need a new rig eventually. Not an immediate concern.

Congratulations, man. That's a fine looking bass.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

This arrived yesterday. A mice case to house my two Neat Microphones and a shock mount that works for either one. King Bee and Worker Bee!

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Killer eBay deal on a hardshell case for my Ibanez AF-75...brand new, $79 shipped:

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

2 packs of LaBella "Bender guitar strings"
    --never tried em heard good things-- will see....

oh --- and this (but it was more like a week ago) Warwick Corvette FRETLESS-- ebony board---- oh man its SOOOO smooth
    T. Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Finally, it's here. 2018 VM Jazz bass with rosewood fingerboard. I wish it were a little darker but beggars can't be choosers

my poor digits. AH GOT BLISTERS ON ME FINGERS

I need to give it a set up, the A string is fairly sharp at the 12 fret and the E string looks too low. Anybody know how many thous of relief for a jazz bass?

Not too heavy, I need to find my scale and weigh it, bathroom scale says 8 pounds even.

Unfortunately my little Acoustic 260 mini stack doesn't seem to be in the best meddle. frying bacon sounds on the lower notes when they ring for a whole note. Not rattle but a sizzle sound. I highly doubt if it would be worth fixing so I'll probably need a new rig eventually. Not an immediate concern.
    Congrats Dan that is a KILLER bass -- (I have one ) ever try flat wounds?
    also -- Hartke and peavey 60 wattish bass amps are reasonable used and get the job done for Home use-- just FYI

congrats again

OH and oil the Fretboard when you change strings it will darken a bit --- ;)
    T. Roosevelt

Low-balled a bid on eBay last week and no one else bid. $200 for this bad boy:

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

I guess this qualifies as guitar-related

2019 SG Standard. I wasn't guitar shopping, I went to check out a Black Star amp I was interested in, didn't find it. Found a Marshall Studio SV20C that floated my boat. Spied the SG when I was looking for a guitar to check the amp. Too high up to reach it so I settled for a tele down lower. I liked the amp but I wanted to hear it with humbuckers. Found a taller employee who handed the SG to me. The minute I put my hand on the neck it was like "ooo this is nice!"

An hour later someone asked "Liking that SG?" I did, a lot, but said there's no way I can buy it. They suggested applying for a store card so I said "oh, what the hey?" and tried it. I fully expected to be denied but he came back and said I was approved. I was stunned. Old Silver Tongue said not to forget about the 45 day return policy and by golly, I was sold. I mean, the guitar was sold.

I took it home (grabbed the shipping box, too, bonus). It came with a really nice gig bag. What a monster rock and roll machine this is. March 15, 2019 is the date on the inspection card. They even include a snapshot of it on the bench, which is a neat touch. I plan to oil the neck, polish the frets and change the strings, it doesn't really need a set up, I might massage and buff the edges of the nut once I'm past the 45 day return window.

oh, and pic or it didn't happen ( but it did, it did !!!)

Very nice!

I have two identical (except for color) SGs. I might have to pull one out and put on a Gibson hat for a bit. I'm already plunking away on a Les Paul, so why not?

Enjoy!

Forum Member

Its Been more than 48 hrs but I don't visit this forum a lot. I got last Thursday a Trio + band creator, it matches Bass and D.rum patterns to what you play into it. I guess its something like Band in a Box software I have never used that app. Has many different styles and embellishment choices,you have five different tracks for each song you create and you can play them back in any order you want as many bars for each track. Looper with over dub. save 11 songs on a SD card. Has an effects loop, a mixer out when used only pushes the Bass and Drums to whatever its going to, I use my Champion 20 for that. You can use the Head Phone out with its own vol control. And it came with the 3 button Foot switch.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Very nice!

I have two identical (except for color) SGs. I might have to pull one out and put on a Gibson hat for a bit. I'm already plunking away on a Les Paul, so why not?

Enjoy!
    thanks. I found my scale but the battery in my digital calipers is dead. It weighs 6 pounds 13.9 ounces. I recorded a test track with it today and did an overdub, too. This guitar loves being recorded. I had a '95 SG that gave me my best recorded tone on tape when I was using a Tascam 424.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

I’ve been busy and need to get a new photo host.
    So until then, I’ll just tell you:
    picked up 4 Gold Tone instruments: baritone acoustic, GT-750 banjitar, F-12 mando Guitar, and a Paul Beard Deluxe resontator. Also almost done building an acoustic specific board based around a T-Rex Soulmate Acoustic.

Also rebuilding my electric rig.
    Mark

I picked up an acoustic a couple of weeks ago. It was a Taylor 210e Just a basic dreadnaught, with nice electronics on board. Nice case. Had it set up and tweaked a smidge to my liking - and its a new old friend. I sold My Guild. It fit my had just right - but in 7 years I could never make it sound like I wanted. Played great - set up nice - just didn't give me what I was after.

A real pic may follow - but its this......

This one is not a higher end Taylor - but is a great utility level instrument. I came out of pocket $100 after selling the guild - so I can live with that. A friend got the Guild, and is ecstatic. That makes me happy.

Now...........to learn to play the dayum thing!
    The journey continues
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I started practicing with a band that plays 1/2 step down from standard tuning. I hate detuning my 5 string bass because it takes a complete setup of the instrument to flip between standard and modified tunings so, I ordered a Digi-Tech Drop pedal. A friend plays in two bands that play 1/2 step and full step altered tuning respectively and uses this pedal. I have heard it in action and am very impressed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I started practicing with a band that plays 1/2 step down from standard tuning. I hate detuning my 5 string bass because it takes a complete setup of the instrument to flip between standard and modified tunings so, I ordered a Digi-Tech Drop pedal. A friend plays in two bands that play 1/2 step and full step altered tuning respectively and uses this pedal. I have heard it in action and am very impressed with it.

Man, I need one of those. How expensive are they in the US?

As for me, nothing fancy, lately. I went to the local music shop and bought two sets of Daddarios for the electrics and one of Martin Strings for the acoustic...

I've been busy and also trying to tone down the purchases lately, but yesterday I did order some stuff from Stew Mac. I had previously bought a set of tape useful for working on the guitar neck by masking the fretboard. I just purchased the three roll dispenser because it was less than 20 bucks. I also purchased a set of bass nut files. The nut slots on my Squier VM Jazz are too shallow. Plus I have a bass build that the neck will almost assuredly need nut work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Man, I need one of those. How expensive are they in the US?

As for me, nothing fancy, lately. I went to the local music shop and bought two sets of Daddarios for the electrics and one of Martin Strings for the acoustic...
    I found a new one on EBay for $170.

I just installed a used Scumback M75-PVC speaker in my Twinmaster. I was looking to tame the amp a bit and get a less hard rocking, loud, mid-centric tone than the stock V30 provided (more Clapton/Green Bluesbreakers, less Slash). I tried a G12M Greenback out of my Avatar 2x12" cab and liked it though I felt like it could be even better.

The M75 is smoother and less "smeared" sounding than the Greenback. It's at least 3db lower in sensitivity than the V30. Between that and softer mids, it's noticeably less loud. I couldn't be in the same room with the amp cranked (no master) with the V30 without my attenuator set at -8db. Now I've got it set at -4db and it's not painful to even turn it off. But, most of all, it's a more pleasant tone for an old blues rocker like me.

I've got a Strymon Flint on the way. I bought it to try with the Dr. Z Cure. I'll let you know what I think of it when it gets here.

Also, I bought new filter caps for my Vibrolux Reverb (are filter caps "guitar-related) because I've had an intermittent 120 cycle hum issue for the past few weeks. The amp had been modified in 1991 and returned to stock about 10 years ago. I found that 2 of the filter caps dated to the restoration and 3 to the modification (it had the original filter caps until that time).

I say 'yes' to the filter caps being guitar related, unless you were a DJ or some other degenerate like that

My order from V-picks arrived today. I got a slide and 4 picks, mostly to use with the bass. I won't be playing today because my right pointer finger tip started feeling weird when I was doing some texting on my phone this morning. Then it started turning purple like a burst blood vessel. Last week I hurt my right ring finger on the middle section and had to ice it. I iced the fingertip today in a ice/salt water bath. Damn, that's cold

Hey, I won an EBay auction and picked up some George L plugs. I only needed 4 but picked up 16 for what I would have paid new for the 4

TFF Stage Crew

Twang a lang, baby. Mullen Discovery 3x5 pedal steel.

Forum Member

Welcome to the pedal steel club, PC!
    What tuning are you using?

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Welcome to the pedal steel club, PC!
    What tuning are you using?
    Thanks! I love it--so cool. I have a lot of woodshedding to do, but it's great.

E9 tuning. Still trying to figure out the knee levers. They don't appear to be in the "Emmons" setup, but I'm enough of a beginner that I have a lot to work on before that.

Forum Member

I'm still learning, not there yet, I can't seem to spend the time playing! You can go a long way, (on many tunes), with just the A+B pedals, and moving the bar.
    One of my customers came by the other day and was raving about the lap steel he had picked up. (He's a petty good guitar player). I asked him what his tuning was, he said, "just standard, it's what I know".
    Here's a lot of tuning info:

https://b0b.com/wp/copedents/e9th/
    Last edited by Bill Moore; 08-23-2019 at 01:13 PM.

That's so cool!

not in the last 48 hours, but last week I retrieved my old crap-tastic 12-string from my parents house.
    Needed a new set of strings, so off to the store I went.
    I've also been looking for a new strap for my MIM tele - I had a Dimarzio clip-lock thing on there I just didn't like.
    so I was trolling the strap racks and found a Levy's Vegan Leather one (what, is that genuine imitation Naugahyde there?) on clearance for $20, normally $45 or something.
    Grabbed it and a mix pack of picks - my other recent obsession - and headed out.
    The guy cashing me out commented that the strap was less than he'd paid for the same thing at store cost.
    Digging that strap, it matches the guitar a lot better now, and haven't yet gotten around to restringing the 12-er (I hate restringing - these are exponentially worse.)
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I’ve bought a couple old tube radios for the Wifey, not technically guitar gear, but they have tubes.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Not in the last 48 hours. I took off on a bucket list adventure and have been on it for the last 8 months. During that time haven't played much or read much in the way of guitar. But since being back the last month I've picked up a few things and have a project list to play with.

Found and bought a Xaviere ash body/maple neck tele with a mini humbucker in the neck position.

Paisley guitar case for it.

Enough strap buttons (only not the locks) for Dunlop Strap locks to install on 4 guitars. I have lots of straps with locks.

A black pickguard and back plate for a black fat-strat I have.

Several V-Picks from Vinnie SMith

Bought and read Texas Flood: The inside story of Stevie Ray Vaughan (Note if you're a fan, followed his career before and after he died and read SRV: Day by Day, Night After Night find a free copy to read somewhere because you're not going to learn anything. Just saying.)

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Here's a lot of tuning info:

https://b0b.com/wp/copedents/e9th/
    Whoa, that's great info! Thanks a ton!!

Nothing strictly music related but a couple of days ago I got myself a new Victorinox Swisschamp.

A great companion for musical road trips.

Last edited by S. Cane; 08-28-2019 at 08:21 AM.