Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
Results 961 to 1,000 of 1791

Thread: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Re: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

It's been mentioned in another thread, but recent additions to my harvest are the new "Silent Cable" from KLŌS and one of their branded guitar straps. The cable was introduced (as were their guitars, originally) via a kickstarter project on indiegogo.com and is now shipping. It can be ordered directly through KLŌS as well.

Please note: I receive no compensation from KLŌS, despite being accepted as a "brand ambassador." I really do like their products, which is why I agreed to become an "influencer."

Last edited by OldStrummer; 12-29-2020 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to add image
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I just ordered three sets of medium gage stainless roundwound strings from Lakland for my Deluxe 55-94 Lakland 5 string.

Replacement batteries for the UPS in my studio. The old ones gave up the ghost.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    Replacement batteries for the UPS in my studio. The old ones gave up the ghost.
    I have found UPS batteries extremely difficult to locate. What brand UPS/batteries are you using?
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    It's been mentioned in another thread, but recent additions to my harvest are the new "Silent Cable" from KLŌS and one of their branded guitar straps. The cable was introduced (as were their guitars, originally) via a kickstarter project on indiegogo.com and is now shipping. It can be ordered directly through KLŌS as well.

Please note: I receive no compensation from KLŌS, despite being accepted as a "brand ambassador." I really do like their products, which is why I agreed to become an "influencer."

finally got the kinks out of my reward situation and my cable should be here by Saturday. Woot !!
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I had some tools for my workbench. And I got in parts for two projects.

AmPro Jazz tuners for a maple fretboard neck.

A left handed Strat harness with upgraded electronics. I'm still waiting for Seymour Duncan SSLs to come in for this Strat project.

-----------
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I just received a bunch of parts from Digi-Key.

I'm going to build a device similar to Soldano's Soundman Eliminator. It's a small Hammond box with a potentiometer and knob, input and output jacks, a switch, and optional battery, LED and resistor. It's placed in the serial effects loop of an amp and used to attenuate the overall volume. When bypassed, it's bypassed and you get a perceived boost (that's the "Soundman Eliminator" part).

I was reading a discussion on another forum about the volume level of the Mesa/Boogie Mark Five:25 and that lead me to experiment with an inline volume box that I had previously made for a really hot harmonica mic. I kinda liked the results- being able to adjust the volume of both channels of the amp at once (the channels each have their own master), plus it can increase the amount of drive produced (I think the transistors in the GEQ get overdriven when the channel masters are turned up). I figured I'd add the ability to switch it out and have the amp get louder on demand.

This is not a traditional guitar amplifier "attenuator" that you place between the power amp and speakers. It is in the circuit before the power amp and does not allow you to get more so called "power tube" distortion or allow you to distort the phase inverter.

Unfortunately, I can't built it yet- I'm waiting from the 3PDT from TubeDepot, who appear to be a Digi-Key supplier now.

My Klos silent cable arrived! I started a thread about it in the Sound Check pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I just ordered three sets of medium gage stainless roundwound strings from Lakland for my Deluxe 55-94 Lakland 5 string.
    Just received the strings so tomorrow I strip the strings off the Lakland, clean everything, a little guitar polish, and then restring with neck adjustment and reset intonation.

I love playing this bass going on 22 years now.

I also bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 gen 3. Some friends a I are trying to use JamKazam. My Apogee Jam 96k wasn't working. This seems to work well, though I haven't had a chance to use it with the band yet.
    The XLR out and speaker shut of switch on the Mesa Mark Five:25 allow me to plug in just like I normally do.
    The guitarist in a band I used to be in loves it and has been jamming with people from all over the world for the past several months.

last year I had asked Sweetwater to notify me when their next batch of CV70 SW exclusive Stratocasters were in. I was interested in a sapphire blue, mostly because they didn't have any black ones with maple fingerboards.

Turns out they also got some vintage white CV70 SW exclusives in as well. One of them was a nice light 7 lbs 1 oz.

I went back and forth, trying to decide which one I wanted when the white one disappeared from the "compare all 4" page. My rep isn't in today so I took a chance with a random associate. Aaron didn't let me down and I was able to track down the 'missing' guitar by its serial number that I memorized. Got it into the cart (again) and checked out before it disappeared again.

Should be here by Friday. Going to sell the CV50 Stratocaster I got last year if this passes muster. From here on, it has to be one in, one out due to space limitation.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    last year I had asked Sweetwater to notify me when their next batch of CV70 SW exclusive Stratocasters were in. I was interested in a sapphire blue, mostly because they didn't have any black ones with maple fingerboards.

Turns out they also got some vintage white CV70 SW exclusives in as well. One of them was a nice light 7 lbs 1 oz.

I went back and forth, trying to decide which one I wanted when the white one disappeared from the "compare all 4" page. My rep isn't in today so I took a chance with a random associate. Aaron didn't let me down and I was able to track down the 'missing' guitar by its serial number that I memorized. Got it into the cart (again) and checked out before it disappeared again.

Should be here by Friday. Going to sell the CV50 Stratocaster I got last year if this passes muster. From here on, it has to be one in, one out due to space limitation.
    That's exciting. I'm looking forward to your review.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I'm looking forward to your review as well. And if you decide to keep it, how and where you sell the other one.
    Striving to be ordinary

Ugh. They used Fedex Home Delivery, no tracking number. I can't tell where it is right now. first world problems, I know

TFF Stage Crew

Dunlop Mini-wah. "Totes adorbs," as the kids say. Needed a bit more room on the big pedalboard, and this fits the bill. Sounds just like its daddy.

Ugh. They used Fedex Home Delivery, no tracking number. I can't tell where it is right now. first world problems, I know
    never mind, a tracking number showed up finally. From talking to the random associate, I learned that they are falling down busy over there. But all things considered, I got taken care of pretty well.

never mind, a tracking number showed up finally. From talking to the random associate, I learned that they are falling down busy over there. But all things considered, I got taken care of pretty well.
    I ordered a Duncan SSL pup set from Sweetwater, and it's been either lost or log-jammed. A second order--same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I ordered a Duncan SSL pup set from Sweetwater, and it's been either lost or log-jammed. A second order--same thing.
    sent PM

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I’ve taken my first steps down the 5E3 road and it will be like few other tweed Deluxe clones in that it will be assembled primarily with US-made NOS parts. If the names “Drake”, “Elco”, “Cinch”, “Amphenol”, “Dakaware”, and “Littlefuse” are unfamiliar it’s because these companies shuttered their doors decades ago or sold their souls (and names) to off-shore consortiums that now build cheap imitations. But the parts they once made in America were the finest available and Leo chose them for their performance, durability, and reliability. Thus, these are the components I’ll be using to recreate Fender’s iconic amp of the ‘50s. The lacquered tweed cabinet I bought is the best repro I’ve ever seen and it will house a vintage Jensen P12Q from 1959 as per the original design. Fellow forum member Bill Moore will be handling the construction of the turret-type circuit board which will be populated by a mix of old and new: carbon-comp Allen/Bradley resistors and Jupiter tone caps for the pre-amp, F&T electrolytics and metal-oxide resistors in the power supply, filter array, and cathode-bypass circuits. Forum member Greg Williams kindly provided an authentic reproduction tube chart and the tubes themselves will be carefully-chosen NOS types with a 5751 likely for the V1 position. I’m still waiting for many parts to arrive (some from as far away as Australia) but I’ll try to post periodic sitreps as the build progresses. As many know, I’m not really a big fan of the tweed era but my large collection of Fenders really demands something from the age of tail fins, malt shops, and poodle skirts. And I’ve felt more than a little pressure from my friends (you know who you are!) to plug such a significant hole. I hope my machinations will accomplish that.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Damn good to see you again, Roger!

Forum Member

I did treat myself to a Christmas present, been wanting another Tele since I sold my last one!
    I made several trades starting with a SS Peavey amp, but I did have to add $135 to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    I did treat myself to a Christmas present, been wanting another Tele since I sold my last one!
    I made several trades starting with a SS Peavey amp, but I did have to add $135 to buy it.

I love Teles with maple fretboards!

nice tele, looks like a white bar on a black background in a white circle

The trapeze tailpiece and bracket I ordered for my Rickenbacker arrived today. Now I feel much more confident about taking this guitar on the road more often.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I’ve taken my first steps down the 5E3 road and it will be like few other tweed Deluxe clones in that it will be assembled primarily with US-made NOS parts. If the names “Drake”, “Elco”, “Cinch”, “Amphenol”, “Dakaware”, and “Littlefuse” are unfamiliar it’s because these companies shuttered their doors decades ago or sold their souls (and names) to off-shore consortiums that now build cheap imitations. But the parts they once made in America were the finest available and Leo chose them for their performance, durability, and reliability. Thus, these are the components I’ll be using to recreate Fender’s iconic amp of the ‘50s. The lacquered tweed cabinet I bought is the best repro I’ve ever seen and it will house a vintage Jensen P12Q from 1959 as per the original design. Fellow forum member Bill Moore will be handling the construction of the turret-type circuit board which will be populated by a mix of old and new: carbon-comp Allen/Bradley resistors and Jupiter tone caps for the pre-amp, F&T electrolytics and metal-oxide resistors in the power supply, filter array, and cathode-bypass circuits. Forum member Greg Williams kindly provided an authentic reproduction tube chart and the tubes themselves will be carefully-chosen NOS types with a 5751 likely for the V1 position. I’m still waiting for many parts to arrive (some from as far away as Australia) but I’ll try to post periodic sitreps as the build progresses. As many know, I’m not really a big fan of the tweed era but my large collection of Fenders really demands something from the age of tail fins, malt shops, and poodle skirts. And I’ve felt more than a little pressure from my friends (you know who you are!) to plug such a significant hole. I hope my machinations will accomplish that.
    Looking forward to your posts about this project. I'm glad you've decided to expand your collection rather than reduce it.

I'm even more glad that you've decided to post here again. I can't think of anyone who knows more about Fender than you do.

I'm a big fan of tail fins, malt shops and poodle skirts, especially tail fins. Love cars of the late 50's. Love cars of the 60's too.

'59 Edsel? Did a minor restoration. My grandfather's legacy. He also owned a '57 t-bird. He saved family peace by selling it before he passed. Everybody wanted it, and he knew it, so he sold it to keep peace in the family.

Many here love guitars, amps, and cars of the 50's and 60's.

I'm looking forward to the results. I look at putting together guitars and amps like I do cooking- I really enjoy using really great ingredients! Even little details, like the correct fuse holder and knobs. After I finished my 5F1 clone, my stepfather gave me an ancient rheostat that he pulled out of something and it had the correct chicken head knob for an old Fender amp. I was proud to use it.

I just bought an old Dakaware knob for a project and realized that it was for a 1/4" "D" shaft rather than a round shaft. I decided to make the hole round with my Dremel and it was a pleasure when the hard material ground nicely and turned to fine dust rather than a gummy plasticy mess.

I was following the progress (several times an hour, it seems ) and thought "yeah, looks like Sunday or Monday). Yet today it hit the distribution center at 6:02. At 6:36 it's on a truck out for delivery.

sounds like it went from truck to truck direct. Poor thing will probably be cold as hell. Going to have to wait before I open it up. Nah, finish checking is all the rage amongst the kids these days

safely ensconced in my nice warm apartment, 23 hours to go.

cue the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers "The Waiting"

what a drag. It's going back. Maybe an exchange, we'll see. Posted in Stratocaster forum.

Bought a pair of studio/DJ Headphones to practice quietly, a Switchcraft long 3 way switch with ivory tip and deep shouldered nut for a Les Paul, a D'addario latching circuit breaker cable and D'addario XLR8 string lube & cleaner, and a set of Les Paul knob pointers. Possibly something else I can't recall at the moment.

The headphones came in today and work great. They have a coiled cord, also. So they don't get tangled up at all. Waiting on the rest.

Got some more stuff lol. I think I'm addicted to buying little things from Amazon lol. I constantly buy stuff thats $5-15 but it's actual stuff I need or things that I'll use to make current jobs easier, such as the wrench I just bought that's supposed to be able to to tighten the round, knurled nut on Les Paul 3 way switches.

So I bought the wrench and a new 40w Weller soldering iron kit. Part # SP40NKUS. You can get just the soldering iron, part# SP40NUS($15 on Amazon)

https://www.weller-tools.com/profess...ryday/SP40NKUS

let us know how that solder iron works, I might like to replace my ancient Radio Shack relic.

pics when available good sir.

May need to call on you for advice. Tried to get in touch a while back - do you still have my email?
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    pics when available good sir.

May need to call on you for advice. Tried to get in touch a while back - do you still have my email?
    E-mail me and I'll try to help.

A couple of months ago my sister came to visit and I gifted her my 90's Sigma SDR28H 6-string acoustic guitar and case, and my Epiphone P100-12 12-string guitar with case. She and her roommate were in the market for acoustic guitars and since I have over 30 electric guitars, I didn't think I'd miss them too much.

Then a couple of weekends ago, I realized that I DID miss them and went on a buying spree, all within 48 hour's time. First, I bought an Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE Acoustic-Electric 6-string in Vintage Sunburst from Musician's Friend and a cool Journeyman dreadnought case for it from Amazon. Then next I worked with my Sweetwater sales engineer on a deal for a Takamine GJ72CE 12-string Jumbo acoustic in Brown Sunburst with a factory Takamine case.

To top it all off, I bought an Ibanez M522S F-style mandolin in Brown Sunburst from American Musical Supply and another Gator Journeyman case for it from Amazon.

I've been playing the guitars pretty much non-stop since, though the mandolin is going to need a pro set-up before I can really dig into it.

Its going to take a short while for my bank account to recover but it was all well worth it!
    Born in Fullerton, California in 1952

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    To top it all off, I bought an Ibanez M522S F-style mandolin in Brown Sunburst
    Can't play Steve Earle's "Copperhead Road" without a mandolin.....

I learned a few things from Charlie dontcha know, you better stay away from Copperhead Road.

I'd like a mandolin just to play Bruce Hornsby's Mandolin Rain. Do you know Chris Thiel? He's such a great player and took over the Garrison Keillor.

I bought some DR Sunbeams for my AmPro Jazz, and for the fretless AmStd, Labella Deep Talkin flats. I like them a lot and have them on my Höfner.

let us know how that solder iron works, I might like to replace my ancient Radio Shack relic.
    It works great! It's a medium duty with nice, heavy tips. 3 different sizes. Gets hot much quicker than the Weller 25w and the butane soldering iron I have and it gets hotter, also. I installed a new output jack with it today.

Part # SP40NKUS for $24 @ Amazon(20 at Lowes) is the kit with a small stand, 3 tips, a small amount of solder and a tool to help you solder? It's a poking/holding down-type tool.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3SG7F0..._3g0bGbQXVAK57

Part # SP40NUS for $15 is just the soldering iron, the largest chisel tip, and the stand.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3SG6UQ..._je0bGbWNHH6D6

Post just delivered some digital calipers.

My sister up in Oregon has been after me for several years now to build a guitar decoration for her rec room so I decided to use up some of my accumulated surplus Strat parts to humor her. I found a decent Allparts Strat neck a couple of nights ago on Ebay and grabbed it for a virtual song. Though it's intended mission will be that of a "wall hanger", the guitar will be fully functional and playable. Most of the parts are MIM leftovers and the body is an alder '57 style in Taos Turquoise. I'm sure she'll love it.