Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,320 of 1791

Thread: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Re: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I've got an old Pioneer SX-750 from 1978 in my toy room. It's wired to a pair of Bose 301's along with a graphic equalizer and a dBX unit. A few of the receiver's front panel lights are burnt out but it still kicks pretty good for 44-Y/O piece of gear.
    Lol, I have that exact same receiver that I bought in New Orleans in 1978. Now it's just used to power a couple of Radio Shack speakers for my wife's TV setup. It was my main rig for many years, and moved with me from state to state over a dozen times in the early years.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top

Exciting purchase. Speed knobs for my 83 Ibanez Artist.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

just got incentive to sell something, waiting for more details.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Because I intend to use it for recording and broadcasting, I couldn't resist Musician's Friend's SDOD and purchased this Marantz Turret system. This is likely a discontinued product, as I cannot find it on Marantz's web site, yet all the reviews I read give it the highest ratings. I know the Marantz name going back to my high school and college days as a manufacturer of high-end audio equipment. Well, since it's 1/3 off, I thought why not? The other gear I purchased recently hasn't even been unpacked, so if I need to start mixing and matching, I'm good to go.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

appreciate the link, because that thing was in "what am I looking at" territory for me.

let us know if it's really just plug and play, sure seems like a pretty intuitive format. If you are going to interact with other players via internet, this seems a little more stable than a hand held cell phone.

*edit* aw, crap. It was 179 last night and now it's 290. Shoulda woulda coulda. But it didn't exactly garner lots of praise in the reviews I've read. Yes, grain of salt and all that. I'm not a professional so it might be ok for me. But it has me thinking. If I can get my buddy Dave to get a similar setup, we could work on stuff without having to travel back and forth, convenient for the winter months.

Well, got them for free and not exactly 48 hours ago, but these are the two new mics I got to review.

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

TFF Stage Crew

Nice!

9V batteries count

hopefully they're here today.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    9V batteries count

hopefully they're here today.

What will you power with them? Pedals?

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    What will you power with them? Pedals?
    that, and our smoke alarms

mostly I wanted to power my tuner

This just arrived today. At $99 on J. Rockett's site, I couldn't resist.

It sounds nice and fat. Very dirty- kinda old school Boogie-like, but it doesn't clean up well from the guitar. It's a lot of fun for $99 plus tax.

Well, I have patiently. Been waiting.....watching....looking.....like a sniper waiting for one high profile target. Epiphone pr-350/SR. had one since about 2001 and started looking about 10 years ago. Solid rosewood sides back.....solid top. I found a 2000 in what appears to be unplayed condition. Unmolested if you will. I will throw a pic up later of the two side by side. This one is like brand new and much lighter than the 20 year old I had on hand. It will be getting bone nut and saddle along with a good dressing.
    Last edited by FrankJohnson; 02-02-2022 at 01:38 PM.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Look forward to it, Kenny

Kent Armstrong USA pickguard-mounted, floating 12 pole pickup for my Eastman archtop. The stock pickup is just clanky and nowhere near as sweet and warm as the guitar is acoustically.

https://youtu.be/dfuyFBITVfA<a href="https://youtu.be/dfuyFBITVfA">
    Last edited by ch willie; 01-27-2022 at 08:16 AM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Not a done deal yet, but I put in a pre-order for for a Monty's Greeny set of PAF pickups. They got me when I was vulnerable, watching hockey, reading about David Ortiz's induction into the Baseball HOF (I was born a Red Sox fan.) I read a Google news feed about the Greeny set. The first batch was sold out, of course. I decided to look for their website and lo, they had 3 openings left for pre-order on the next batch.

I ain't so good on pounds to dollar conversion, but I figured these were going to cost me a pretty penny. I was not wrong. However, I have a long standing relationship with Peter Green going way back to the very early '70s, when nobody but guitar players knew who he was. It was recognizing one of his songs on the radio that got me introduced to some local mainstays in the blues scene, the older brothers of a bass player I knew back in the day when we were hanging out on his parents' porch one summer evening. This was long before Stevie Nicks and Christie McVie were part of Fleetwood Mac.

If this happens, I'm just going to have to figure out which LP shaped object to put them in

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    Well, I have patiently. Even waiting.....watching....looking.....like a sniper waiting for one high profile target. Epiphone pr-350/SR. had one since about 2001 and started looking about 10 years ago. Solid rosewood sides back.....solid top. I found ab2000 on what appears to be unplanned condition. Unmolested if you will. I will throw a pic up later of the two side by side. This one is like brand new and much lighter than the 20 year old I had on hand. It will be getting bone nut and saddle along with a good dressing.
    I hate typing on my phone. Sorry for all of that mess.......

so I picked up this Epiphone PR-350/SR and LOVE it. Has to make the trip to local guy for install of fishman and new bone nut/saddle. I do a barely passable job on these - he is pro and has tools to do it all right, including the fret level/dress etc.

I just re-did the saddle in my Martin M36 - I had taken the other down too far and when I did the replacement, It had an improper contour and I couldn't correct it. I am in that "no mans land" of I want it a little lower, but have to be very cautious to not take this one too far also. I also need to file the comp at the B a little.

Picked up a Fishman Artist acoustic amp - and LOVE it. One of the guys I play with has one and I was enamored with it. SO easy to put in the PA with great sound and no feedback. I was amazed at how BIG it sounds in such a small package.
    Kenny Belmont

10 packs of strings and some extra single strings.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb in Blonde....and yes the reverb isnt as good as a spring reverb, but the amp sounds like a typical deluxe to my ears, and once the band kicks in everyone elses... ;)

Exchanged my Dunlop ‘78 Badass Distortion for a DOD Gunslinger.

I never really liked the ‘78 as much as I expected I would. It sounds thin and shrill no matter how I set it.

As far as I’ve read, the Gunslinger delivers a more “tube like” distortion.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Not bought or delivered, but installed within 48 hrs.
    9 guitar hangers. Used 8. Will see about getting a hosted pic so I can post. 7 across the back wall of the office. 1 on a short side wall next to a closet.
    Mark

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Not a purchase but today I received a parcel from our esteemed moderator "cogs" whom it's been my honor to help out on a few occasions. Enclosed was a beautiful set of Kluson vintage-spec tuners, a most gracious expression of friendship and gratitude. I think he's tacitly egging me on to build that '54 Strat clone in Desert Sand......

Thanks, Robert!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

New audio interface ordered and should be delivered today. Unpacked my Dynaudio BM5A monitors. The office/music room is coming along.
    Mark

A new board/bag.

I just couldn’t leave the Fulltone Deja Vibe that Willie so kindly sent me out of my chain, and it doesn’t take batteries so I got back to power supplies. Needed more board room, so…

3 pack of EB Super Slinkies to tide me over until I get to searching the myriad boxes in the basement. I was stringing a project with the last pack of strings and one of them failed to wind properly. But it's going to be a week before they get here so I went to GC this morning and lo, they had .016 plain available as singles (I somehow managed to pooch a G string)

While I was there, I spied a Victoria 35310. I've been wanting to try one of these forever. Great sounding amp, used a thin line Squier Tele that was in much better nick than the Fender Tele that was more than 3x as much money. That thing had fret sprout of a medically dangerous level.

The amp is still on 30 day police hold until March 11th, just came in yesterday. 1699 is probably not a horrible price but still a lot of dosh. I have far more than enough credit on my GC card to buy it, and that nice Squier, too. But then I would still need a Marshall type amp, I already have Fender amps.

Even though the worst of winter is over (I hope), I've been keeping myself warm by layering. I found out that a long out-of-stock sweatshirt is now available, so I ordered one. Arrived moments ago.

Striving to be ordinary

Recieved my 5e3 built into a Hot Rod Dlx housing where the amp had coughed its last breath. Used Power Transformer was a Merc. Mag. from a doner who had used the amp for other things. Kit was mostly a weber, and will be modded with a master vol in the near future. Pics will follow at some point.
    Kenny Belmont

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    A new board/bag.

I just couldn’t leave the Fulltone Deja Vibe that Willie so kindly sent me out of my chain, and it doesn’t take batteries so I got back to power supplies. Needed more board room, so…

Good to see you using a power supply, even if its only out of necessity, lol
    Seriously though- if you are at all like me, you're going to be won over by the convenience & hassle-free nature of the thing. A good friend of mine still uses batteries every gig, & even goes so far as to chain his pedals together with pigtail 1/4" jacks like its 1982. Since his batteries never tell him when they are about to fail, it usually happens at a gig. Unplugging & moving around all his gear causes stress on the connectors, so then they become weak & are also prone to failure. This makes him a generally angry guy
    Lol
    Next up: GeorgeL cables

Stringjoy just announced a new "uncoated coated" acoustic guitar string called "Foxwoods" that they claim don't at all like coated strings, and have a long life (which Stringjoy is known for). I ordered a set of 13-56s to put on my Taylor, since I'm currently running 12-54 on it (which sound great!) and Taylor actually ships that guitar with Elixir Phosphor Bronze Mediums, which is a 13-56 set. I also ordered a set of Naturals in 12-54 for my Jim Dandy, since it's nearing time for a change on that little marvel as well.

Striving to be ordinary

Two micro headphone amps--Blackstar Bass and the Fender Mustang Micro. I haven't given the Fender a go yet. Had some time on the Blackstar. It's got rhythm loops, and I love being able to jam AND work on timing. I'll write a proper review about the Fender, which is supposed to be the angels' tits.

Didn't actually buy it - got it for free to review... It;'s a great sounding mic with very little coloration.

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

I went 'all in' on Fender amps:
    Rumble Studio 40
    Mustang LT25
    Mustang LT50
    Mustang Micro

I had to trade/sell my heavier amps because of a bad back, but I needed to replace them with stuff that sounds good. I got turned on to the Fender Mustang series when I purchased the Mustang Micro. It sounded so good I decided to look at the LT amps. I already had the old Rumble 40 and decided to upgrade to the Studio version.

I have several different applications (bass, guitar, and pedal steel) and this 'suite' of Fender amps covers them all, and stays below my self-imposed 20 lb. limit on gear.

Just got this small PA/Acoustic amp to review for Amazon. Battery operated with multiple inputs (including 48v mics). I'll be testing it out during the next couple days, but it looks pretty cool. oh... and here is a link to the actual page.
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08YD9DB4D

lotta knobs for a busker box

wonder how well it works

Looks kinda cool (and what a sweet gig: reviewing for Amazon!). 120 watts in a portable package, which also provides 48v phantom power for condenser microphones. Let us know what you think!

ETA: I don't like the battery-only power. A DC adapter capability would be nice.
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Looks kinda cool (and what a sweet gig: reviewing for Amazon!). 120 watts in a portable package, which also provides 48v phantom power for condenser microphones. Let us know what you think!

ETA: I don't like the battery-only power. A DC adapter capability would be nice.
    The charging adapter can stay plugged in. I will give it a test in the next day or two. Working late tonight... plus most of my acoustics have active pickups and I leave the batteries out so I have to get one set up to test... although my Hummingbird has a passive pickup - maybe I can run that through its paces...

I bought an Eminence GA-SC64 to put in my Mesa Fillmore 25 combo. Though I've liked the Mesa Branded Celestion C90 in my 6L6 powered Mesa amps (a Mark IIB and an Express 5:50), I did not like it in the 6V6 powered Fillmore. It sounded kind of generic or "clinical", especially with a Strat. I like the GA-SC64. It's a little "stringier" sounding and can get a little dirty on its own. The amp now has a kind of Boogie Mark I vibe in the clean and Hi gain modes.

Forum Member

Only guitar related as you generally have one for accompaniment.
    My beautiful bride has been talking about a Banjo, and I found a deal on one!

Well, I did it. All the dominoes fell in line and so when I picked up my Taylor GS Mini from the repair shop, I checked to see if they still had the Taylor Builders Edition 652ce on hand. They did. I played it again briefly, and the guy said if I was interested he'd see what kind of price he could give me. Since I had to cross the state line, I asked him if they shipped the guitar, would I have to pay sales tax? No, was the reply.

Considering sales tax would have run me another $250, the $50 I'd pay in shipping was quite the acceptable trade-off. Then, they knocked $375 off the price, so how could I resist? They're throwing in a fresh restring, setup and and Taylor's HSC, and it will be knocking on my door Tuesday. Pics to come!
    Striving to be ordinary

In hockey I think they call that a "hat trick".

Congratulations!

It's here! Delivered this morning by FedEx (signature required). Since it was shipped from just 35 miles away, I didn't think I needed to let it sit overnight, so after an hour or so, I opened it up. And here it is!

Striving to be ordinary

Stunningly gorgeous!