Page 16 of 45 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Re: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    are Suhr and Fender necks interchangeable?
    I dont believe so.

I actually would want to use a Suhr body anyway due to the way the back of the body where it meets the neck is shaped. the only thing I dont like about them is the use of the 2 point trem; when I sold my first one, I didnt realize how much of what I didnt like about the sound (it was too focused, too much fundamental, etc) came from that. The second one I had bought a DGT and figured I would play that for a while (it was the first time I had tried anything other than a strat as my "main" guitar and it worked ok until it didnt).

Forum Member

Bought a Live Wire 10 foot cable with a straight and 90 degree end. Going to put another 90 degree end on the other end. Bought a bag of .38 picks for my nylon thread guitar.

Bought a nice wide L&M rawhide strap for my Jazz Bass. Now, I have a leather strap for each of my guitars. I'm a little ocd about things like that. If two guitars have leather straps, I can't let a nylon strap stay on the third. I've got 9 guitars and basses. I won't need to buy another strap until years from now when I get myself a Ric 330.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I know it's a stretch, since it's technically not guitar-related, but I bought for my granddaughter a ukulele chord cheat sheet (I may use it as well).

so if I guessed correctly, the strings of an ukulele are G-C-E-A ?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

so if I guessed correctly, the strings of an ukulele are G-C-E-A ?
    Yes, but more accurately you would want to write it as gCEA, as the fourth string is higher than the third and second (pressing the string on the 2nd fret results in the same A note as the first string). This is called re-entrant tuning. It's possible to use a thicker string and drop the note an octave, resulting in your GCEA.

Baritone ukuleles are often tuned the same as the high four strings on a guitar: DGBE.

There is also slack-key tuning: GCEG, and "English" tuning: ADF#B (which is just standard tuning raised a whole note. This was popular in the 1920s era).

took a while to get here but worth it (ngl it's kind of weird not having the guitar shipped overnight but I guess for what I paid I shouldnt complain)

sorry for the crappy cell phone pick, it was well after 830 when it got delivered so no sunlight, so not even gonna bother to pull out the SLR. I might Wednesday though if people are interested in higher res shots.

I will say, I hope the person who sold this had a good reason because this is unironically one of the 3 or 4 best sounding new strats I've heard, and the only thing that doesnt have Fender on the headstock that I think sounded better was the Lentz I used to own. It doesn't *quite* match up to the two FCS guitars Ive managed to pick out but those two guitars are uniquely good ones anyway. This beats the pants off a lot of them, all while feeling like a toy and costing me all of 1200 dollars.

I won't vote you off the island if you took nice pics of it

well um, so...

not sure how to say this...

but I saw an unbelievably smoking deal on a Silver Sky and as I looked at this particular guitar's neck with it's very, very flat sawn neck, I just couldn't help it. yes Im still on the list for a pink one with 2020 revisions (new neck carve maybe? slight changes to paint formula), but it could easily be May or even later before it finally shows up and that's assuming zero delays (it's already been pushed back a month). at the price I paid for this, I can live with having two. pictured below (and yes all SS have a scarf joint headstock). I will report back on how it compares to the 65 AVRI, which are both going for that same era of sound.

I won't vote you off the island if you took nice pics of it
    Ive lost my slr battery charger. Im on the hunt now that the sun is back out.

a likely story, teh old battery charger's missing. Where's your redundant backup? You should have at least 7 battery chargers, like me. Er ... well, I have 3 and one's on my computer so that's limited in location. But I don't know where they all are after the move. Another 10 days or so I hope to be totally done with the old house and can begin on my apartment.

I take a silver sky is a strat shaped object, correct?

a likely story, teh old battery charger's missing. Where's your redundant backup? You should have at least 7 battery chargers, like me. Er ... well, I have 3 and one's on my computer so that's limited in location. But I don't know where they all are after the move. Another 10 days or so I hope to be totally done with the old house and can begin on my apartment.
    I had two batteries and 1 charger. this camera is >12 years old at this point, it's a minor miracle it still works at all.

anyway I just bought another one off amazon :shrug:

all the redundancy is in the cameras I actually care about; my film ones. I unironically have 7 OM bodies; all 1s and 2s, and I even have a few old mercury batteries which I think were made illegal before I was born.

I take a silver sky is a strat shaped object, correct?
    you said it. not me.

there's enough vitriol over this guitar to make holiday family political arguments look tame

i know nothing about controversy about that guitar. I've got enough other stuff to worry about. Like keeping myself from buying yet more guitars when I will need to cull some for lack of room, or keep them in storage for a year. Or worse, buying more cabinets and amps and microphones when I can't even play without being a nuisance.

I just bought a lefty, made in Germany, Hofner 500/1 in Euroburst. I've posted pics in the Basses section. I'll be selling my Hofner Contemporary now. Very chuffed to get a real, German one.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

veddy noice, I went over there to check it out.

awaiting shipping notification ...

Silver Sky first impressions:

Good:
    • Plays very well (not Suhr/Anderson level but quite good)
    • Sustain is ridiculous
    • Very light weight
    • Paint color is very complex, fretboard nice and dark so overall a nice looking instrument
    • Neck shape is great, body cutouts really good
    • Pickups very clear, but with good harmonic content
    • Tuning stability and intonation are spot on
    • fretwork

Bad:
    • The knobs and especially selector switches would have been unacceptable at 500 dollars, at street price theyre basically a joke
    • bass lacks compared to really good strats. not so bad like some of the really modern guitars Ive played that are all high end but very noticeable when directly comparing to other guitars
    • overall plastic quality is low for PRS, should have just made the guitar 50 bucks more IMO

Overall:
    This is a reasonable guitar for the money I paid (1600 total). I would say if you were looking for something that offered modern playability without so much modern sound, this is a good choice. Maybe a step towards vintage from Suhr (which you guys all know Im a big fan of). A lot of people supposedly in the know say it sounds dead on to a certain era of old strats. Well I tracked one down over the weekend and yeah no not really. Dont believe everything you read on the internet.

I think my 65 AVRI sounds better for sure, and I think Suhrs are a noticeable step up in playability, so this guitar sits in a weird space for me personally. I dont dislike it, and Im going to keep it because I like it for the price. But this is the end of my experimenting with cheaper guitars. I see now, in retrospect, that I should have just stuck with FCS guitars. Really I just think if you want a nice strat just buy a Fender Custom Shop :shrug: I mean I'll never buy a Fender amp or pedal but when you find a good FCS guitar it just doesn't really get better than that, IMO.
    Last edited by redisburning; 03-03-2020 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks for the report, redisburning. I've been so curious about those guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Thanks for the report, redisburning. I've been so curious about those guitars.
    well I hope it helps push your curiosity in the right direction (whichever that is).

the guitar is neither the best thing ever nor the worst. it's a good guitar that's probably priced just right with the usual discount (should be between 2000-2100 for a non-demo based on what I was quoted and what my midnight rose preorder was). at this price, frankly, you don't have a ton of options anymore, but you do have some good ones. I would recommend playing one and seeing if you like it, because if you do I don't think you would feel like you overpaid for the guitar at all. Especially compared to new Fender production guitar prices.

it's ABSOLUTELY a strat. that's really just all there is to it, IMO. it sounds a lot more like a strat to me than any two-point equipped Fender. it just doesnt quite do what the best Fenders do.

this guitar vs an American Original is a hard call. I dont know if you could get an American Original 60s for what I paid for this Silver Sky (normally it'd be a bit cheaper, I think). I'm not sure what I would choose between the two; probably the Silver Sky. I will say that if it doesnt sound quite as good, it definitely is more suitable to gigging with the locking tuners (and the good kind that make a string change quicker) and the big strap buttons.

it's all plusses and minuses, I suppose. I think the guitar gets *most* of it right and just falls short on plastics. the sound is what it is; not 100% to my preference (but it might be to yours). frustratingly, while I think the SS is a better guitar than my 65 AVRI all things considered, in the end I evaluate these things based on how they sound unless the playability is dog **** and that's not the case so I tend to gravitate towards the guitars I think sound better at the cost of pretty much everything else.

Im rambling so the tl;dr is if you can swing 2 grand for a strat IMO you're probably better off finding a few more dollars and getting a Fender Custom Shop reissue.

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    Im rambling so the tl;dr is if you can swing 2 grand for a strat IMO you're probably better off finding a few more dollars and getting a Fender Custom Shop reissue.
    I'd like a FCS, but I'm going to wait until I can afford to have them make one for me. I want a Dave Gilmour, un-relic'd Strat, which isn't offered in a lefty.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I'd like a FCS, but I'm going to wait until I can afford to have them make one for me. I want a Dave Gilmour, un-relic'd Strat, which isn't offered in a lefty.
    that's a serious up-charge and definitely not worth it IMO.

if you can't get a nice teambuilt that speaks to you and is part of a regular run, which is a reasonable price, I would go talk to Chris Kroenline at K-Line. bet you'd come out under FCS prices anyway. I like his guitars a lot but he tends to do big necks and I just haven't seen the one that speaks to me and Im rarely into "build me a guitar to my perfect specs" because Ive had much better luck just looking for guitars that speak to me and they share little in common.

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    that's a serious up-charge and definitely not worth it IMO.

if you can't get a nice teambuilt that speaks to you and is part of a regular run, which is a reasonable price, I would go talk to Chris Kroenline at K-Line. bet you'd come out under FCS prices anyway. I like his guitars a lot but he tends to do big necks and I just haven't seen the one that speaks to me and Im rarely into "build me a guitar to my perfect specs" because Ive had much better luck just looking for guitars that speak to me and they share little in common.
    You're right. Thanks.

I forgot to mention that I received a set of Mojotone Clone P90 pickups for my Guild Blues 90. They sound great! Wat better than the original Duncan Hot neck/Custom bridge set. They're less warm and muddy. More dirt and grit. I had a Duncan Antiquity in the neck, but an Antiquity bridge P90 was not going to fit correctly due to the guitar's neck angle. It's close, but I think I like the Mojotone neck P90 better. It's a little more articulate.

The only drawback is the pickups are metric so not just any cover will fit and the covers that come with them are a little darker than the originals. They look good on this guitar, though.

The Steinberger showed up today and it is pretty cool. I need to do some adjusting to it and all my tools are packed away ... somewhere. Also I realized that apart from my DAW's tuner, I don't have a decent hardware tuner left. My old Sabine bit the dust after one too many tumble to the floor, both of my beloved Korg DT-1 (the cassette tape sized portable ones, not the rack unit) are now dead.

So I decided to get that Sonic Research ST-300 from Ishibashi Music of Japan. Don't know when it's going to get here but I just learned today that we are going to do yet more work at the house and that will probably drag out through the month of March so it's going to be a while before I'm fully free to devote time to the unpacking and final disposition of placement of furniture and fixtures.

Oh, and I just received an Ashbass FUZZbrite. It sounds awesome, just look away when you've got the back off to install the battery!

Update on the Silver Sky.

The guitar had come with pure Nickel Strings on it, clearly Fender brand. I threw those out and put Curt Mangan nickel wound 10s on the guitar.

I have revised my opinion; I think it is a *very* good sounding guitar. It's competitive with Fenders, and that's not faint praise AT ALL from me. I am also very, very pleased with how resonant and light the guitar is; it's noticeably lighter than the 65 AVRI and more in line with some of the ash strats Ive had though it does have more material removed.

The plastics still suck though.

I leave tomorrow for my annual Florida trip. Not wanting to find myself with a broken string like I did in January, I went and bought a set of replacement strings to carry in my gig bag. I wanted D'Addario Custom Lights (.011-.052) but the store was out of them. So, I bought a set of Elixirs.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

This should be arriving Wed. I don’t have a dread, I wanted forward shifted bracing, but can’t justify the coin for a Martin. So and heard really good reviews on it.
    https://www.alvarezguitars.com/guitar/md60ebg/
    Mark

I don't know if you'd consider it "guitar-related", but I just received a Leader LBO-508A Dual-Trace oscilloscope. I bought an LBO-508 a while ago and only one channel worked. The seller gave me a partial refund and I used it the way it was. This scope is in much better shape than the other one. I'm looking forward to putting both channels to use.

Their pic, not mine-

that looks like something from my friend's dad's lab. The guy was an engineer for Raytheon. He had some serious kit in that basement.

awesome, just got an email from Ishibashi Japan. They had said a few days ago that my tuner would be shipped to the international shipping store of their chain and that it would be there in about 2 weeks. No problem, I wasn't in a huge rush. Tonight I get an email saying tracking has been added to my shipment and it's on the way. Cool.

BTW - My Steinberger Spirit

Forum Member

New bridge for my Epiphone Les Paul Jr that you can intonate. Adjustment screws are fine threaded and operate smooth. Anchor bolts screw into the Epiphone anchors and the bridge fits so as to remove a lot of the tilt the Epiphone stock bridge has. The nickel finish looks good on the guitar too. Not bad for $14.

Last edited by mikesr1963; 03-09-2020 at 07:26 PM.

yes, I did. First time getting anything from them I think, too.

waiting on my tuner from the land of the rising sun, it was shipped on the 7th, wonder how long it will take to get here.

Forum Member

Nice! I would recommend getting that attachment for the upper end which lets you use regular strings.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    A must have... And... Get the Steinberger part...
    what part is that?

TFF Stage Crew

Oh man that blue is niiiiice!

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Nice! I would recommend getting that attachment for the upper end which lets you use regular strings.
    Steinberger Single Ball String Adaptor (#STADG06)
    Well dang, didn't even know that was a thing. I already dropped mine off to my setup guy with a fresh set of D'addario "s" strings that I had to order from Amazon. I'll definitely grab that part so I can use my usual strings from here on.

i'm looking around to find out where to buy one, fell into youtube rabbit hole and only just now extricated myself. Amazon seemed the most expensive and all the reviews were in Japanese. Still looking.

Steinberger Single Ball String Adaptor (#STADG06)
    did you get one yet? I'm seeing two very different looking parts coming up under the same search.

I know the sky is falling and I probably shouldn't spend money on luxuries, but I just bought a new Mesa/Boogie Mark Five:25 1x10" combo! It sounds great. Nice cleans. Boogie OD. Surprisingly "big" sound. I'm taking it to rehearsal tonight.

Oh, and I played a PRS Silver Sky through it. What an awesome "Strat"!

Here's a bad pic of it next to my Mojotone Champ clone. The Champ clone is slightly oversized.