Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Re: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    When you buy a new guitar for use in your main playing room (living room, in this case), it's nice to have a stand you can put it on when not playing. Something small that doesn't require setup. And can fit into a gig bag if necessary

That's a very portable looking stand! The forward sections fold up as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    That's a very portable looking stand! The forward sections fold up as well?
    Yep. The whole thing folds small enough to fit into a gig bag. It's adjustable to the depth of the guitar's body, too.

When you buy a new guitar for use in your main playing room (living room, in this case), it's nice to have a stand you can put it on when not playing. Something small that doesn't require setup. And can fit into a gig bag if necessary

I'm assuming it's one of the A frame types but which one, can you post a copy of the link (in lieu of trying to show image?)
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I'm assuming it's one of the A frame types but which one, can you post a copy of the link (in lieu of trying to show image?)
    I am happy to oblige: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...y-guitar-stand

That's a sturdy looking stand. i have a lot of stands or I'd look for some of those.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Last guitar related thing I bought was a bass...in February! A Sterling by MusicMan StingRay 5. Pretty good bass for the price. Using it for my hard rock/industrial recording project. Needed the low B for a bunch of stuff.

But bought more recording gear in the last year than guitars. Two new interfaces, a whack of mics, a mini MIDI controller keyboard, a new Mac laptop for mobile recording, headphone amp.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    Last guitar related thing I bought was a bass...in February! A Sterling by MusicMan StingRay 5. Pretty good bass for the price. Using it for my hard rock/industrial recording project. Needed the low B for a bunch of stuff.

But bought more recording gear in the last year than guitars. Two new interfaces, a whack of mics, a mini MIDI controller keyboard, a new Mac laptop for mobile recording, headphone amp.

I like that color. I like MusicMan StingRays and have been wanting a 4 string for a while. The used ones don't last long and you have to move fast.

that was one of the ones I was looking at. Should be here by Monday.

I like that color. I like MusicMan StingRays and have been wanting a 4 string for a while. The used ones don't last long and you have to move fast.

That picture is a bit misleading - on mine, the colour is less transparent, flatter/less glossy, and you can't see the grain through it. It's a looker!

I bought a cable that will allow me to get the Rick O Sound out of my 4001. I pursued one of the original Rick O Sound sets but lost interest and forgot about it. I'm a member of the Rickresource forum, and a lot of folks are using a stereo plug / two mono female plugs cable. I hadn't realized it was this simple. I've had this bass since 1978, and I've never used the Rick O Sound.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

The cheapest guitar-related purchase ever! When I took a spill on (off?) my bike last weekend, I bruised my picking/strumming hand thumb. Since I'm currently on a Robert Johnson kick, I bought a set of thumb picks.

a few things, one more computer related but tangential to guitar

A Peter Florance TE59 bridge pickup, it will either go in the incipient tele build or maybe the Esquire (but I want to hear its pickup before I decide)

a couple of headphone stands. I didn't realize but the new phones I bought weeks ago is the exact same as one I bought a couple years back so each computer has a set and I also have a dedicated mixing set for the audio interface. Now all three devices can be used to listen to stuff on the spot, no more "where's the damn phones and/or adaptor plug?" no more being lazy and not listening to stuff because the phones are at the other machine. and are hanging safely out of the way.

compressed air to clean out my computers and get them working with me and my music endeavors more smoothly. Hopefully I can hobble along on the old machines for a while yet before needing to replace them.

*edit* I keep forgetting about the guitar strings that are taking 9 days to get here and then I still have to drive to the store to pick them up curbside.
    Last edited by DanTheBluesMan; 06-10-2020 at 04:25 PM.

Strymon El Capistan delay

Strymon Lex rotary pedal.

Boss RC-3 Looper

Going to sell my like new because I've only used it for about 2 hours total Deja Vibe; I mistakingly thought I could get rotary sounds out of it. If a buddy of mine doesn't want it, I'll list it in the proper thread.

He's a pedal freak; I call him a pedalphile.
    Last edited by ch willie; 06-18-2020 at 02:28 AM.

A workbench pad and neck cawl (Stew Mac). tired of chasing my guitars over a slippery towel. they arrived today. now to find my string changing tools and get to work. them frets aren't going to polish themselves.

I am a sucker for mini-amplifiers as well as Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day. Wanting something I could transport to play both my acoustic as well as electric guitars, when the SDOD offered this at 60% off, I couldn't resist (NOT the actual photo -- I've unpacked it, but my phone is in use right now so I'm using a stock image instead).

Specs
    :

• Power: 8W
    • Eight preamp modes: Clean, Blues, Crunch, British, Classic, Solo, Metal, Flat (for acoustic guitars)
    • Speaker: 1x6.5"
    • Controls: preamp select, 3-band EQ, gain, volume, FX select, delay/reverb level, tap tempo
    • Six built-in digital effects: chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, delay, reverb
    • Aux. input
    • Mixer/headphone output
    • Built-in tuner
    • Battery or adapter powered (adapter included)

Only thing I can say is that I got a couple cables today.
    Kiddo was yanking on one of mine the other day and broke the solder joints right apart.
    I was on Amazon anyways and grabbed a couple right-angle ones for a decent price.
    We'll see how they hold up - seem to sound pretty good in the 30 seconds of playing I got.
    Also got Leonard Cohen's posthumous released album (CD) Thanks for the Dance.
    Vocals recorded not long before he passed, with instrumentation provided by long time band members and corrdinated by his son.
    Only listened to the first few songs, but they're right up there with his best.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Man, I love Leonard Cohen, but I really need to dig into his music and get to know it better. He was a great writer. I heard something of his recently, and I stopped what I was doing to listen to the lyrics. I wouldn't call him a poet--poets often spread out their meaning in layers of pastry icing. Cohen knows his poetry, but his lyrics are straightforward and without needless ornamentation. He's authentic.

Don't burn me: I love poetry, and I read it for pleasure--when it's really good.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Man, I love Leonard Cohen, but I really need to dig into his music and get to know it better. He was a great writer. I heard something of his recently, and I stopped what I was doing to listen to the lyrics. I wouldn't call him a poet--poets often spread out their meaning in layers of pastry icing. Cohen knows his poetry, but his lyrics are straightforward and without needless ornamentation. He's authentic.

Don't burn me: I love poetry, and I read it for pleasure--when it's really good.
    I hear what you're saying - though Cohen considered himself a poet first and foremost.
    I think his stuff is pretty deep - he's not covering what he's saying in metaphors and so forth as with most - but many of his works can be taken multiple ways.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    I hear what you're saying - though Cohen considered himself a poet first and foremost.
    I think his stuff is pretty deep - he's not covering what he's saying in metaphors and so forth as with most - but many of his works can be taken multiple ways.
    Right, he was a poet in his way, an excellent one. I should have made my meaning clearer--a lot of writers who consider themselves poets are really just playing games with words. Not Cohen. I was trying to distinguish him from that kind of songwriter poet.

The thread title is guitar-RELATED, so...

On a whim, and because I want to show my granddaughter I've got some chops if she lets me teach her ukulele...

70s Tape Echo unit! Co-worker had one sitting around he wasn't going to use...got it for the cost of shipping: $38!

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

NT, Yes, I've seen it on the other thread. That is an amazing find for $38. Ha ha what a deal!

Figured it would get more views over here. :)
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Had to find an "E" tuner for my wife's 70's Gibson SB bass. They are asking crazy prices on the bay, (I guess they tend to break!) E-mailed all the tuner folks, Gotoh was the only supplier that was a close match, I got one yesterday. I have to open up the hole in the headstock, (old nut is .470, new is .545), but it should be serviceable!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Had to find an "E" tuner for my wife's 70's Gibson SB bass. They are asking crazy prices on the bay, (I guess they tend to break!) E-mailed all the tuner folks, Gotoh was the only supplier that was a close match, I got one yesterday. I have to open up the hole in the headstock, (old nut is .470, new is .545), but it should be serviceable!
    I did not know that about the E tuners. I wonder why is that? How crazy were the prices?

I think I need to start going to meetings. Details to follow

Forum Member

There have been a few a little less, but this is ridiculous!
    I bought 1 new Gotoh for about $15 shipped.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-196...AAAOSw6Ode83Hr

Currently she has the Gibson, and a headless electric, and an acoustic AE, (which she really likes). But she likes the Gibson action, so I took it to Russell to restring it, and set it up, just took a while to find a usable tuner!
    I started refurbing a PJ style bass a few years ago, but got hung up on the finishing, (I tried to cover enamel with polyurethane!) After a couple of tries, I put the thing aside until now. Gonna try enamel clear, it will just have to do!
    Last edited by Bill Moore; 06-24-2020 at 01:36 PM.

Well, that escalated quickly.

we'll see if they've lied to me again. "On vehicle out for delivery". I had something a few weeks ago when I saw that on a Monday and it didn't show up until Wednesday or Thursday.

TFF Stage Crew

MXR Micro amp arrived today. Great little pedal for setting my studio amps to their sweet spot and then kicking on the Micro Amp to hit the front end a little harder. Very happy with the results.

During the month of July, I'll be finishing up the rack-o-amps in the studio. Right now I have a Budda Superdrive 80, a Marshall 1987x, and a Fender '68 Custom DR (in a MojoTone head-enclosure). On it's way is a 100W Marshall Silver Jubilee (which I'm SO jazzed about), and, in later July, a Vox AC15CH. By later July, I'll also hopefully have a KHE ACS 8x4, which is a custom switcher box to route all of the amp heads to the "cabinet-shed" in the other room. If not selected, all the amps see a dummy-load so there's no issues.

I will obviously post pics when it's all done.

Forum Member

Forum Member

19:1 Tuners

Forum Member

Nickle plated intonatable bridge

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    MXR Micro amp arrived today. Great little pedal for setting my studio amps to their sweet spot and then kicking on the Micro Amp to hit the front end a little harder. Very happy with the results.

During the month of July, I'll be finishing up the rack-o-amps in the studio. Right now I have a Budda Superdrive 80, a Marshall 1987x, and a Fender '68 Custom DR (in a MojoTone head-enclosure). On it's way is a 100W Marshall Silver Jubilee (which I'm SO jazzed about), and, in later July, a Vox AC15CH. By later July, I'll also hopefully have a KHE ACS 8x4, which is a custom switcher box to route all of the amp heads to the "cabinet-shed" in the other room. If not selected, all the amps see a dummy-load so there's no issues.

I will obviously post pics when it's all done.
    I have one of those Micro Amps in my wishlist, only reason I didn't get it yet was I ran across another similar pre amp type pedal at a good price

You'll be able to heat your house next winter with all those amps

Quote Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post
    So what's the verdict on this thing? I had my eyes on one for a while - then found an EH Soul Food on Ebay.
    I saw a review on this in Premier Guitar a couple months ago - What do you think about it?

TFF Stage Crew

You'll be able to heat your house next winter with all those amps

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    So what's the verdict on this thing? I had my eyes on one for a while - then found an EH Soul Food on Ebay.
    I saw a review on this in Premier Guitar a couple months ago - What do you think about it?
    I saw the Premier Guitar review today that compared it with the Klon and a number of other clones that was biased because it was not American made. The PG video did not show all what the pedal does and only did limited adjustments. They mentioned other points in the article but didn't show it in the video. The PG video mentioned that it must be cheap parts shoved into such a small case and didn't consider they advance in technology that makes these part smaller now than the antiquated Klon. Also, Klon isn't digital, making it an easy circuit to reproduce. They talk down about the build quality and it's a very solid pedal and take that smack at the build quality simply because it's small in size. If you look into the Klon enclosure, which they show a photo of, it's almost empty

Check out the JHS Youtube channel where Josh educates everyone on the ever changing world of guitar pedal making and production. Josh doesn't bad mouth any manufacture and no matter how inexpensive he gives credit where it's due. Informative and up front and I'm posting one of his video's below about pedal myths.

As for my opinion it's fantastic but I've never tried to get a Klon sound on my rig. In watching Josh's videos a couple of them talk about how you would use a Klon/Klon clone for better sounds and he made me curious. I did search for clone and the NUX came up and after watching several comparison videos of the different clones I with with the NUX. I use it most of the time with a TS 808 circuit and the Boss SD1 and it's killer. I do use it alone too and it's sounds great on my gear.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=mikesr1963;643383]I saw the Premier Guitar review today that compared it with the Klon and a number of other clones that was biased because it was not American made. The PG video did not show all what the pedal does and only did limited adjustments. They mentioned other points in the article but didn't show it in the video. The PG video mentioned that it must be cheap parts shoved into such a small case and didn't consider they advance in technology that makes these part smaller now than the antiquated Klon. Also, Klon isn't digital, making it an easy circuit to reproduce. They talk down about the build quality and it's a very solid pedal and take that smack at the build quality simply because it's small in size. If you look into the Klon enclosure, which they show a photo of, it's almost empty

Check out the JHS Youtube channel where Josh educates everyone on the ever changing world of guitar pedal making and production. Josh doesn't bad mouth any manufacture and no matter how inexpensive he gives credit where it's due. Informative and up front and I'm posting one of his video's below about pedal myths.

As for my opinion it's fantastic but I've never tried to get a Klon sound on my rig. In watching Josh's videos a couple of them talk about how you would use a Klon/Klon clone for better sounds and he made me curious. I did search for clone and the NUX came up and after watching several comparison videos of the different clones I with with the NUX. I use it most of the time with a TS 808 circuit and the Boss SD1 and it's killer. I do use it alone too and it's sounds great on my gear.

Well, that escalated quickly.

we'll see if they've lied to me again. "On vehicle out for delivery". I had something a few weeks ago when I saw that on a Monday and it didn't show up until Wednesday or Thursday.
    My neighbor is a supervisor for UPS and he tells me they are going nuts right now. He spends all his time renting box trailers so they can store in-transit packages long enough to process them. Between the two depots he is responsible for, they have 40 full trailers waiting to get processed.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Denon Bluetooth receiver for my rack. Cool to play decent quality music through my rack.

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Denon Bluetooth receiver for my rack. Cool to play decent quality music through my rack.

now that sounds neat. You can play your phone through it, yes? Does it have a USB port to charge said phone?