Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Re: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

I bought a small pack of #8 1-1/4" flat head wood screws to install my old Schaller Straplocks on my Les Paul so I can use my favorite old strap. $1.25. I turned down the head of the screw so it'll fit in the Straplock (I drilled out the screw hole in the Strat lock years ago).

Do Schaller Straplocks still say Made in W. Germany on them?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I bought a small pack of #8 1-1/4" flat head wood screws to install my old Schaller Straplocks on my Les Paul so I can use my favorite old strap. $1.25. I turned down the head of the screw so it'll fit in the Straplock (I drilled out the screw hole in the Strat lock years ago).

Do Schaller Straplocks still say Made in W. Germany on them?
    I stopped buying the Schallers and started buying the Grover versions (same thing) from Stewmac. I had too many Schallers with distortion on the buttons that made it very hard to use the straps. No problems with the Grovers.

Also:

MojoAxe sells the correct screws for a Gibson which fit the buttons. Also they sell the buttons weathered and new.

Man, I've dropped guitars on those Schallers. Any dirt gets in there or the nickel plating starts to flake off and it's disaster time. I'd think twice. The old Grolsch washers have never let me down, and they're certainly fun to collect!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I stopped buying the Schallers and started buying the Grover versions (same thing) from Stewmac. I had too many Schallers with distortion on the buttons that made it very hard to use the straps. No problems with the Grovers.

I stopped buying the Schallers about 20 years ago.
    I use a Grolsch washer with my ES-335 and ES-225 to keep the strap closer to the guitar. I don't use any Straplocks with my Fender style guitars.
    These were from my parts drawer.

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    MojoAxe sells the correct screws for a Gibson which fit the buttons. Also they sell the buttons weathered and new.

They do, but I'm a DIY kinda guy (and it was $1.25). I chuck the screw in a drill and run the head on a grinding wheel until it fits (it looks exactly like theirs when it's done).

Either way, it beats the heck out of using toothpicks! Les Pauls have a plastic bushing in that hole and I I don't like the idea of using toothpicks there.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Man, I've dropped guitars on those Schallers. Any dirt gets in there or the nickel plating starts to flake off and it's disaster time. I'd think twice. The old Grolsch washers have never let me down, and they're certainly fun to collect!
    I've never had a problem with them going back to at least 1990. But then I don't put the miles on them that you probably do. Also, due to concerns others have brought up, I check them closely and often.

As I mentioned in my other post, I use Grolsch washers (real Grolsch washers, not the ones that Fender sells) with some other guitars and actually prefer them. I went with the Schallers on this guitar because they were already on an old strap that I really like and the holes on the strap were hogged out to fit them.

OK, but using Schallers on a Les Paul is really asking for it. They'll wear faster due to the weight and we all know what happens when you drop a Lester.

That must be one sexy strap!
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I just learned about, and downloaded the FREE MuseScore program (Windows, macOS, Linux). This program purports to enable the user to create a complete musical score with all notation, lyrics, time and key signatures, etc. It does not include the actual chord diagrams for guitar, but does provide for naming chords above the staff, including proper special characters (i.e., sharps, flats, sevenths, etc.).

So, much as I do with everything that interests me, I gather small (!) collections of things. In this case, software. I purchased Songs Pro (Mac) and Neck Diagrams (Mac), which are handy for creating chord and solo diagrams, but take time to complete. I'm real interested in seeing how well MuseScore makes it possible to create a song from scratch. All this with the goal of making it easier for me to play along with the band.

Does anyone else use software of this sort? What do you use, and why?

what does it do, transcribe what you're playing into notation?

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    what does it do, transcribe what you're playing into notation?
    I'm not sure. There's MIDI input, and it reads XML files as well as letting you input notes via keyboard shortcuts. I just downloaded it and haven't played with it, yet. But it's open source freeware and from what I've seen, is pretty nice if it suits your purpose.

My purpose is to enter songs by measure and place chords where needed. The sheet music I was given to work with this past week was just words and chords, no beats. I play better when I can visualize the songs by measure (using D.S. al Coda, chorus, verse, etc.).

I use the Fender rubber washers... I never had any problems with them...
    I don't use and won't use schaller strap locks..
    JMHO...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I don't see how that would make any difference. If the spring does not work and the nut is loose maybe.

Because my dream of being a gigging musician is becoming a reality, I find I need the right tools (for me) to help me learn the pieces we'll be playing. Since I self-taught myself using chord diagrams, I still find them the easiest way to learn a song. So, today I'm receiving from Amazon this amazing ( ) chord diagram stamp and ink pad.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077RC5ZR1

Just got it:

Sounds KILLER for bluesy tones! I love the Strat's midrange with this pedal.

Forum Member

Live Wire 16g cab cable and another bass player for my band. Found poor Duff today on the last chance cart for $5.

I just received a set of lightly used Duncan Seth Lovers for my Les Paul. I'll probably install them this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I just received a set of lightly used Duncan Seth Lovers for my Les Paul. I'll probably install them this weekend.
    Great pickups!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

never tried any seths, wanted to.

no inclination to change my les paul. it was just the way i wanted it bone stock. haven't changed anything but the strings since I got it almost 7 years ago. wow. can't believe it's been that long. new record for a gibson for me

Forum Member

Last week Musician's Friend had the French Toast Octave Distortion pedal on sale for $25. I watched several samples on YouTube and it was much more fuzz than distortion and so I got one. It's what I was looking for to use with my P90 and single coil guitars. It's great with a dark sounding amp but you'll want to stay away if you're using bright amps.

got it delivered in the last 48 hours, does that count? Presonus Studio 1810. It will wait until the music room revamp is completed before I unpack it so I won't have any reviews for a while yet.

Does it count if it cost nothing?

My guitar teacher wants me to record myself playing backing tracks so I can accompany myself. I bought the Apogee ONE for iPad and Mac a couple of years ago but never got around to installing it. So this weekend I installed it by downloading Apogee's "Maestro" software on my Mac. I then downloaded the latest version of Garageband. ONE is the hardware interface and Garageband is the DAW. I keep thinking I have it all correctly wired, but when I hit the record button, nothing gets recorded.

Oh well, I'll keep pressing on...

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Does it count if it cost nothing?

My guitar teacher wants me to record myself playing backing tracks so I can accompany myself. I bought the Apogee ONE for iPad and Mac a couple of years ago but never got around to installing it. So this weekend I installed it by downloading Apogee's "Maestro" software on my Mac. I then downloaded the latest version of Garageband. ONE is the hardware interface and Garageband is the DAW. I keep thinking I have it all correctly wired, but when I hit the record button, nothing gets recorded.

Oh well, I'll keep pressing on...
    if you are using USB to connect ONE, go to Preferences in GarageBand, select Audio/midi, go to 'input' and click the down arrow. It should show "ONE" and "built-in", select ONE.

When you open/create new project, select which input if you have multiple channels (2 with the Apogee, right?). I usually use input 1 ( I have 4 with my Behringer UMC404HD).

Hope that helps, if you need more I don't mind helping. I've been mucking around with GarageBand for a few years now and can muddle my way around in a somewhat cognizant fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    if you are using USB to connect ONE, go to Preferences in GarageBand, select Audio/midi, go to 'input' and click the down arrow. It should show "ONE" and "built-in", select ONE.

When you open/create new project, select which input if you have multiple channels (2 with the Apogee, right?). I usually use input 1 ( I have 4 with my Behringer UMC404HD).

Hope that helps, if you need more I don't mind helping. I've been mucking around with GarageBand for a few years now and can muddle my way around in a somewhat cognizant fashion.
    Thanks, Dan! As I read it, the ONE has two inputs. The first is a microphone - either the built-in or your own that gets plugged in via the break-out cable, and input 2 is always an instrument, the other side of the break-out cable. It is into this that I'm plugging my guitar. Is this not correct?

Do repair parts for someone else's amplifier? I have a tremolo roach, a few resistors and some tubes coming for a client's '66 Vibrolux Reverb. I like working on this amp because it's exactly the same as mine- when I compare them and find a weakness in one amp, I can sometimes detect and correct it based on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Thanks, Dan! As I read it, the ONE has two inputs. The first is a microphone - either the built-in or your own that gets plugged in via the break-out cable, and input 2 is always an instrument, the other side of the break-out cable. It is into this that I'm plugging my guitar. Is this not correct?
    yes. you just have to make sure that the "inputs" as being seen by GarageBand are all set to the same. The ONE plugs into the computer via USB, GarageBand will be looking for it. It won't select it automatically, you have to tell it to. Then when you open a new file, you have to arm the track and tell it which input from the ONE to accept signal from. Again, not automatic. Unless everything is all on the first input. I have 4 inputs on my UMC. I currently have 2 guitars plugged in. When I switch guitars, the track I'm recording to has to be told which input from the UMC I am using. In this case I have my Tele on input one and Strat on input two. I like using the strat for rhythm and the tele for lead. I open a new file, tell the track I'm using input two (strat), record. Then I select a new track and select input one (tele) and record my next part. Depending on what I'm doing, I sometimes go 3, 4, 6 tracks. The limit appears to be on how many plug-ins I can use and still keep all the tracks going. If I'm using a lot of plug-ins, I usually crap out around 4 tracks. If I'm going light on processing I can do more.

Forum Member

Mike where did you get the guitar dudes? What are they called? Where can i find them? They are great!

I think a new guitar is guitar-related enough...

TFF Stage Crew

Work in progress:

What's old: OCD, Wah, TC Corona, GigRig "Humdinger" (underneath)

What's new: GigRig G2 switching system, Mad Professor Twimble, Vertex Dynamic Distortion, TC Polytune 3, MXR "script" Phase 90, Strymon Timeline.

The TC Corona will soon be replaced by a Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl, and, in a month or so, I'll add either a Chase Bliss Gravitas (trem) or Mini Vent 2 rotary pedal.

I've wanted to do the giant, switching-system pedalboard for awhile, so I figure it was time to dive in.

The whole thing goes via the Humdinger into a wet/dry rig with my '68 Custom DR and Vox AC-15.

Two books of manuscript paper. Each page has staff, tab and charts. I can now put all my confusion on a single page!

(My guitar instructor told me to get some).

ordered it monday, got it today

Yamaha LS6 A.R.E. Concert in natural torrified spruce, just unpacked it 45 minutes ago. It's a cannon of a guitar. I need to get some pics of it if not tonight then tomorrow

overdosing on Smarties™ right now

I went to the guitar show in Marlboro, MA today and picked up an older THD Hot Plate and a Barber Half Gainer, both at decent prices.

I just tried the Hot Plate with my Twinmaster and it sounds great! I think it'll get the job done.

I tried the Half Gainer at the show through a Boogie Fillmore. I liked them both! The Half Gainer sounds good with a clean amp. That's something that I've been looking for.

I stripped a gear in my logic section of my brain last week and bought (on installment payments) a pair of Avantone Pro CK-1 small diameter mics before the promotional rate ended. I've been wanting a pair of SDC for a while and frankly won't be able to buy them anytime soon. It was pretty much buy them now or never get them. I've had an X-Y mic bar for a long time waiting to be used and now that I finally have an acoustic worth recording felt the time was right.

Yes I know, I owe pics. I'll get to them eventually.

I bought a Demeter Tremulator at a guitar show yesterday. It's to replace my Voodoo Lab Tremolo, which I love, but has hyper sensitive intensity and speed controls. We'll see how it compares.

I also received tubes and capacitors for a friend's 1994 Blues Deluxe. It's long overdue for maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post
    Last week Musician's Friend had the French Toast Octave Distortion pedal on sale for $25. I watched several samples on YouTube and it was much more fuzz than distortion and so I got one. It's what I was looking for to use with my P90 and single coil guitars. It's great with a dark sounding amp but you'll want to stay away if you're using bright amps.

I really dig the retro design on those Danelectros, Mike! I own an old Daddy-O overdrive and it's one of the best dirt pedals I've ever had! I like it so much I still keep the original box and manual! Bought it back when I didn't even play live, and through the years I played many great sounding gigs with it. Works wonders with a tube amp.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    I picked up one these On-Stage RS7705 Pro Tiltback Amp Stands... GREAT stand!

Kenny, I got one of those too, very good for those small venues where you don't really have a decent place to set up the amp near the power sources. I keep mine in the car trunk, just in case.

Forum Member

Picked this up at Goodwill cheap and it has a great light relic and I didn't have to anything in that area. Had a lot more mojo (dirt, dust, stickers) on it before I shoveled it off. Took it apart, cleaned, tightened, adjusted, polished, and put back together. Frets were actually blue/green with places that looked like rust but when I was done they really look brand new.

I started learning to play bass about 10 years ago with a 15 watt amp and it just wasn't loud enough to keep my interest. I sold all that for what I paid and moved on, but really liked it. Anyway moving forward I want to record some stuff and so want put bass on it as well so I placed a couple of low ball bids on Goodwill and actually won both bass guitars and I'll post the other later when I've cleaned it up.

nice. what's the nut width?

Forum Member

UPS came. My flanger pedal developed a static issue a while back and I've been listening and comparing for a couple of months since my Ibanez pedal it's replacing isn't made anymore. I've also been watching and listening and reading about the Boss Waze Dimension DC-2W too and had it in the cart a couple of times ready to buy but chickened out. One video mentioned a clone and I checked it out and decided to get it, the TC electronic 3rd Dimension Chorus. Again, being a non-professional musician meant I would never spend for the traditional green box. After watching Morty's Music do a review of the TO808 beside the Tubescreamer, and a couple other videos with similar results, I said what the heck, I'm drop $19 on a Behringer. Anyway, the black Friday sales really helped too.

^^^ I've got probably 4-5 Behringer pedals and they've all been good pedals considering the ridiculously low prices. I just make sure not to stomp on 'em too hard. On my board right now are the EQ700 7-band graphic equalizer and EM600 Echo Machine pedal. No doubt the TO800 is a decent clone.

Forum Member

]UPDATE Part 1:

I've had these pedals in my MF wish list for a good while now. The flanger because my beloved Ibanez CF7 developed a crackle even when not engaged. I damn near cried. The 3rd Dimension pedal I bought after watching many videos on the Boss WAZA DC2W and I mean it was in the shopping cart several times. I just couldn't pull the trigger on a single pedal over $200. Then watching one review someone mentioned a clone; I searched and found the 3rd Dimension and both were $20 off last week. Then after the review of the TO800 at Morty Music, I said what the hell for $19 it's worth a try.

Forum Member

UPDATE Part 2:

TO800: Worth every penny. A fantastic sounding pedal. I'm stunned it sounds so good. I love metal and it's not metal, but I also love Blackberry Smoke, SRV and ZZ Top and it's definitely all of that. The Flanger and the 800 came out of the box with the dials and noon and without touching the knobs it's a perfect Heart's Barracuda.

The 3rd Dimension is awesome and I'm thrilled with the way it sounds too. I got that because I found where SRV recorded Couldn't Stand the Weather, and while working with David Bowie was introduced the Boss unit and then went back and used it on CStW.

Funny thing on the TC pedals even though they have those buttons that look like they make that hard click sound; well then don't. It's a soft on and off. The 800 on the other hand I would think it would be a soft on and off like a Boss pedal; well it's not, it actually clicks.

Forum Member

UPDATE Part 3:

You can't hear a click at the foot switch on the TC pedals, but you can hear a tick from the amp when they are engaged. Funny enough I have a Mojomojo pedal that has the normal switch and makes no clicking sound through the amp when engaged.

On the 800, if I were going to use it on a gigging pedal board it would need another housing over it to protect it to include the cables going into and out of it. If you were to transfer the components to another housing you would want to swap the pots, input and output, and the on and off switch for more sturdy components. The other two are like tanks.