Page 27 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,080 of 1791

Thread: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Re: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

I've had SD Antiquities before and liked them a lot. I still haven't tried any of their single coils as a replacement. I've probably had one guitar that came with some variant of theirs but being the gear slut I was, it's lost in a maze of faces

I know a Lonestar strat i had used a SD Pearly Gates humbucker in the bridge but I think the other pickups were Fenders.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Well, it was a Christmas gift from my daughter. We finally got to spend time together. It's a leather strap with my name on one side, and lyrics from one of my tunes on the other.

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Well, it was a Christmas gift from my daughter. We finally got to spend time together. It's a leather strap with my name on one side, and lyrics from one of my tunes on the other.

That's a fantastic gift! Great lyrics, too!

Well, I think that is the sweetest guitar related gift I have ever seen. I love those lyrics too. How beautiful of your daughter. Without a doubt you are a loved and lovable dad.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Well, I think that is the sweetest guitar related gift I have ever seen. I love those lyrics too. How beautiful of your daughter. Without a doubt you are a loved and lovable dad.
    Last year she took a sound file of another song and had this print made of the audio file...

I had hoped to record that song in the next batch, but the guy I was working with died just about two years ago and that stopped the project from going forward.

Here's the whole tune. It's actually a keyboard song, rather than guitar. I tend to have more musical tunes when written on a keyboard, and more lyrical when I write with a guitar.

The Songs You Sing
    ©2003 Words & Music by: Nick Caruso

1. I long to hear your voice call my name
    I wish you would dance to the tunes I play
    I want my songs to be the ones you sing
    More than my life you mean everything.
    More than my songs you mean everything

The rhythm of the music… fills out the melody
    But without the voice of your love there's no harmony

2. The beat of the music, the beat of your heart
    The challenge of turning sounds into art
    The gift of my love is the music I bring
    More than my life you mean everything. More than my songs you mean everything

A gift is nothing, if you don't share.
    It tarnishes quickly, if you don't care

3. So sing my songs softly, or sing them out strong
    I wrote them for you so you can't sing them wrong
    I only hope you'll join me as I sing
    More than my life you mean everything.
    More than my songs you mean everything

So join with me now, let us sing a duet
    Blend our voices together; you'll have no regrets

4. So sing my songs softly, or sing them out strong
    I wrote them for you so you can't sing them wrong
    I want my songs to be the ones you sing
    More than my songs you mean everything. More than my life you mean everything
    More than my songs...you mean everything.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Nice nice lyrics, Nick.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

It's a keeper. So, apparently, is your daughter!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

going to try one more peg winder before I give up on the tuners on my JB BB Les Paul Custom.

Ernie Ball Peg Winder Plus.

One of the pickmakers I've collected a few of, Stoneman Picks, has a presale going on with a new line of titanium picks he's worked out.Put in the order the other day for a couple of those.
    It'll be a month or two before they come in, but I have enough others of various materials that I think I can get by.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I've noticed that during winter my hands get much drier than they do in warmer times. I'm no rocket surgeon, but this tells me the humidity in my house is less now than earlier. Since I now have some pretty nice guitars (and a custom guitar being - slowly - built), I figured I'd best look into humidifier systems for my guitars. A whole-house system is prohibitive, so Humidipaks or the like would be the best starting point.

I was reading reviews and I came across a patent-pending, American made wood instrument humidifier called the PET-1 . The simple explanation is that you soak it in water for 25 minutes, let it sit for 10, wipe it dry and drop it in the sound hole (yes, it's for THAT kind of guitar). That's it! You can even play the instrument with the humidifier inside (I'll reserve judgment on that until I've tried it). But the manufacturer GUARANTEES that it won't leak, and it will retain moisture for up to five times longer than traditional in-the-soundhole humidifiers. Just to be cautious, I'm going to try it with my nifty little Gretsch Jim Dandy beater first!

Striving to be ordinary

Sometimes I go overboard (with 30+ guitars, that might be obvious!). I'm feeling like I should have been wearing a 'kick me' sign for so many years because I never bothered to consider the environment where I keep my guitars. But the past couple of years I've become painfully aware that it gets DRY in my house, and I've now had more than one guitar that suffered from getting too dry. As you can see from my post above, I bought a guitar dehumidifier and in only two days, I can say: Wow! I packed my little Gretsch away for a couple of days with it, and today found that it really had shown a benefit. The frets aren't as sharp as they seemed to be before. And that's after only two days! So, I bought another, this time a Music Nomad Soundhole "Humitar." I had to buy distilled water for it, but one gallon should last me a year. After a good soaking, it's sitting in my Big Baby Taylor-e (one of the guitars that really took a drying-out brunt). I also bought a hygrometer to put in my guitar room. And sure enough, it's showing a relative humidity of 27%-35%. Waaay too low! So, I'm buying a room humidifier since many of my solid bodies sit in stands, and not in cases (if I put them in cases I'd play them even less than I do now).

Striving to be ordinary

Make sure to test the hygrometer. They are often very inaccurate. I use an offset of +16 points with one of mine. I think I use +11 with the other (I wrote it on them). You can find the instructions on cigar sites.

It sometimes takes a longer time to get small items than it does large ones. Today, I received my long-awaited "period correct" control knobs for my 1957 Gibson ES-225. I had to buy four, but I'll just add the extras to my hoard of stuff. I also got a box from Sweetwater containing a couple more humidifiers (I'm testing to see which I like best) and another hygrometer. This one says to set it to a "known" rH reading. I guess I have to follow @Don's advice and check out some cigar sites.

Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    It sometimes takes a longer time to get small items than it does large ones. Today, I received my long-awaited "period correct" control knobs for my 1957 Gibson ES-225. I had to buy four, but I'll just add the extras to my hoard of stuff. I also got a box from Sweetwater containing a couple more humidifiers (I'm testing to see which I like best) and another hygrometer. This one says to set it to a "known" rH reading. I guess I have to follow @Don's advice and check out some cigar sites.

My '59 ES-225TD had replacement knobs on it when I bought it. I replaced them with some mildly aged knobs that were a little more authentic looking than Gibson knobs. I can't remember the brand. I' might've bought them for RS Guitarworks.

Roadrunner Avenue II gig bag for my CV70 Strat. Used 20 dollar certificate from previous purchases.

took a look at CL today. JCM2000 DSL 401 combo. The owner has had it for 21 years, used it for about 10-20 hours and the rest of the time it has sat in his closet. I had one of these, loved it until after it got damaged. The pots are mounted on the circuit board, one got broken off and after the repair the amp was never the same. I've been jonesing for something in the Marshall flavor. The Green channel and the Yellow channels are quite serviceable, the Red channel, meh. Going to check it out tomorrow.

The DSL401 is a fun amp. I've had a couple. I like the OD1 (yellow) mode with a Boss SD-1. Make sure you get a chance to run it up good and hot. These had repairable heat related issues. The issues were partially corrected later (2003 and later?), but the amp gets tamed a bit. Also, don't pay too much for it- you can get these cheap.

4 sets of GHS boomers. 9ers

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    The DSL401 is a fun amp. I've had a couple. I like the OD1 (yellow) mode with a Boss SD-1. Make sure you get a chance to run it up good and hot. These had repairable heat related issues. The issues were partially corrected later (2003 and later?), but the amp gets tamed a bit. Also, don't pay too much for it- you can get these cheap.
    He gave me a good price, I looked on Reverb and people are asking 250-350 more than his price. Most of those are resellers, this is the original owner. It's an early one but so was mine. I almost called it off but then I decided that if it's a good one, I'll be glad I did it. The least expensive new Marshall I'd consider is well over a thousand dollars more, and I'm already familiar with the amp.

I bought a Ditto looper pedal. I figured it’d be something to practice with. An interesting side affect is that you can learn about your amps with it. For instance, I played a rhythm pattern and had the loop play it through the Dr. Z Nova. Then I played lead through the Mesa Mark V:25 and was able to dial in a cool tone on the Mesa. When I played the loop through the Mesa, I could hear how strident the OD channel sounds for rhythm playing- it’d be better to use an OD pedal for dirty rhythm and the amp’s OD channel for leads.

It also shows how sloppy I am. I recorded a simple 12 bar blues. You could hear me playing more lightly at the beginning of the loop and getting into it, playing harder at the end of the loop. Then the loop ends and I’m playing more lightly. I have absolutely zero experience at being recorded while I play and it shows. I suppose that’s another use for the pedal. Not bad for under $100.
    Last edited by Don; 03-14-2021 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Font color

Got a nice deal

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Got a nice deal

I've had a few of these. It's a fun pedal and they're very fairly priced.

Haven't pulled the trigger - but looking at a couple of martins. Haven't narrowed it down yet.

Missed a good deal on a local used M36 in great condition. looking at a few others......waiting for the right one to tell me so.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    Haven't pulled the trigger - but looking at a couple of martins. Haven't narrowed it down yet.

Missed a good deal on a local used M36 in great condition. looking at a few others......waiting for the right one to tell me so.
    There's been a few Martins recently on Musician's Friend's deal of the day, including the M36. |Can't tell if they'll go back on again, but it might be worth watching.

For me, the titanium picks from StoneWorks picks came in the other day, |I've been playing with them a bunch.
    They're taking a bit of getting used to but I'm liking them. I got one in 1mm and one in 1.5mm. There's a big difference between the two.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I just found out that Fender stopped selling 358 Extra Heavy guitar picks! I buy them in packs of 76 and they last for a few years. I'm down to my last dozen or so.

I bought some D'Andrea Pro Plec 358 pics. They're nice. A little stiffer and warmer sounding that the 358 Extra heavy, but...

...they taste awful!

6 sets of D'addario 10s for the strats.

I bought a Schwinn so that I will live long enough to use what I bought in the last 48 months.

I bought a Schwinn so that I will live long enough to use what I bought in the last 48 months.
    You'll play better being in better health!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    You'll play better being in better health!
    Thank you. I'm going there. No cigarettes in almost two months.

Thank you. I'm going there. No cigarettes in almost two months.
    Good on you! I'd say the worst is behind you.
    Striving to be ordinary

Good on you! I'd say the worst is behind you.

Thank you, Fred. I appreciate the encouragement.

I needed a new set of acoustic strings, so while I was ordering, came across this nifty little guitar maintenance/repair kit. Now I can't make excuses for not checking neck relief.

Striving to be ordinary

Picked up a new soldering iron tip cleaner thing with the brass mesh stuff in it. I only use my soldering iron for guitar stuff at this point so it's for guitar lol.

Also picked up a Behringer noise gate pedal, NR300?, from Sweetwater for $24.99 so it looks like they increased the price by $5 since last time I looked at them a few weeks ago. Also still waiting on the EQ pedal I ordered in January. They still haven't gotten any in stock.

I think that's it though I feel like I'm forgetting something.

How much did those Gibson knobs run you if you don't mind me asking? I was looking for knob pointers and theirs were outrageously priced so I figured I'd ask about the knobs. The issue I ran into with the pointers is that all of the aftermarket pointers are wayyyy too fat and don't look like the stock ones. I know people can't see 95% of it when it's installed but still.

I've been looking for knobs that look like what came on my guitar but that seems impossible. They're gold tophats but the plastic has a dark tint to it, giving them an old, vintage look.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

These might be what you're looking for......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rel...UAAOSwqOFbxN~c
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I get most of my knobs and hardware from Philadelphia Luthier. They have a great selection and some of the knobs they offer are better looking (to me, anyway) than what Gibson offers.

Gold bell knobs with embossed numbers-

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...set-of-4-gold/

I like the pointers that aren't real sharp-

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...cators-nickel/

Reflector knobs that don't have the spun look that recent Gibson knobs have-

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...r-us-set-of-4/

This afternoon I scored a near-mint (9.5/10.0) original Victoria Luggage cover for a blackface Fender Vibrolux Reverb Amp. It was a bit pricey but I have so little in the amp itself that I felt comfortable in splurging a bit. It should arrive around the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    This afternoon I scored a near-mint (9.5/10.0) original Victoria Luggage cover for a blackface Fender Vibrolux Reverb Amp. It was a bit pricey but I have so little in the amp itself that I felt comfortable in splurging a bit. It should arrive around the end of the month.
    That's awesome! I have the original cover for my '66 Vibrolux Reverb. It's gotten pretty haggard since I bought the amp back around 1990. I don't even dare unfold it anymore, let alone use it!

The original cover for my '68 Deluxe Reverb is like that -- someone with *serious* sewing skills might fix it but on the whole it's pretty much a write-off. I bought a repro (contemporary Fender) for it just to keep the amp protected during transit but I remain on the lookout for a genuine VL cover.

A pack of fresh celluloid heavies

The Small Stone arrived.