Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,480 of 1791

Thread: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Re: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    NGD! My last one! I promise!

As many of you know, I have a thing for travel guitars. I love my KLŌS - it's small, easy to play, and because it's carbon fiber, nearly indestructible. Best of all, it disassembles quickly and packs away easily, and re-assembles nearly as fast.

But the drawback is the sound is kind of "tinny." It works well as a hotel room practice guitar, but it has no pickup (a choice I regret making) and thus isn't really suitable for a performance guitar.

Then, I heard about the Furch Little Jane. Made in the Czech Republic, this guitar has a unique disassembly mechanism, is made of all wood, and packs away in its own back pack. It has a sound port that doubles as the neck storage when packed, and actually has a very rich sound, even though it's smaller than a standard guitar. Given that I'm now performing live, I thought this might be a good way to get around.

I love this.

I just picked up a Mini Maton for similar reasons. Today's tech makes these small scale guitars so lovely to have with you all the time but you can still have portable big sounds.

Thanks for sharing!
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Something so simple, but at the same time it means a lot.

Bought this microphone cover, as I am planning to record the vocals for the first song I wrote, and the foam is meant to reduce the obvious hygiene issues with rented studio microphones, and also help preventing lip shocks.

Forum Member

Also useful to reduce wind noise at outdoor gigs!

Quote Originally Posted by xxStonr View Post
    to the uninitiated, those look like fake calamari but oh, so useful for putting together a loaded pickguard.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I gave up on surgical tubing when I discovered what a gooey mess they become after twenty or thirty years.

I prefer coil springs for their durability.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I gave up on surgical tubing when I discovered what a gooey mess they become after twenty or thirty years.

I prefer coil springs for their durability.
    You just harvested them too early. You want to wait until they are completely scabbed over & desiccated so that they crumble into dust when you pinch them
    Lol
    I've used the latex type tubing for years. Only recently have I switched to a clear tubing that is a little more rigid but still has some give.

Ever seen a steel coil spring crumble?

TFF Stage Crew

Only a valve spring in my '86 Volvo 240. The technical term is "collapsed", lol

well, I can genuinely say I've never had a Stratocaster long enough that the endurance of the mechanism to raise and lower the pickup height was ever an issue. Even if I got a new one today, with the faux calamari, I probably wouldn't live long enough for it to be a problem. I can't see 84 or 94 year old me taking off a pickguard to tinker around with it. Sure, it would be great if I'm still that capable ... or alive even, I guess. So for now, squid leg ring fakes it will be

just a couple packs of strings. I've decided to restring the Epiphone LPC and put it up for sale. It seems as though it's 50/50 on whether people immediately change strings on a new purchase vs giving them a chance.

I have some guitars that still have their factory strings over a year later. Of course I'm not playing them every day for 4-5 hours. I've had Squiers with maple necks that turned my fingers black in 5 minutes, those got changed almost right away, with a good cleaning and fret polish. This Epiphone still has the original strings and I've played it a fair bit.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Something small. Got it the other day.
    Tap a String is the dealer. It’s a loop for guitar straps that locks onto the larger end pins on acoustics that plug through the end pin. With how oversized those end pins are, no need to wallow out the strap , plus it locks. Use them on every acoustic that you plug into the end pin on. (Yes I do have dedicated straps for each guitar)
    Mark

Spark Control. I actually prepaid for this when I ordered my Spark MINI, but it was backordered and arrived today. Spark Control is a foot pedal that provides wireless control from the Spark phone app to the amp, giving four pedals that can alter the program with hands-free operation. Per the Positive Grid web site:

Spark Control comes with 4 officially pre-programmed customizable scenarios that assign a combination of popular functions to each footswitch. Plus, save your favorite functions to 4 more of your own scenarios for easy access whenever you want to play.

Current functions include these, with more on the way!

Assign and change presets
    Assign and toggle effects
    Start, stop, and pause music / backing tracks and Smart Jam
    Control features in our Experience Jimi Hendrix™ expansion

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Incoming, should be here Wed. Squire CV 70s P Bass in black. Weight 7 lb 10 oz. also ordered some flats for it. This will be my flats dedicated bass.
    Mark

Forum Member

I bought the Fender MustangMicro. This thing is incredible. Best guitar gear I have bought in years. I can practice/play using headphones without driving my wife crazy (by repeating music segments until I get them right). I also figured out how to bluetooth into my laptop so my learning lessons come through the Micro. (I had to update the Micro firmware to allow for this). Thank you Fender.

The CV 70s PBass is here. Plays and sounds great. I’ll lose the strings tonight and transition it to flats. I may need another with rounds. The honeymoon playing for an hour or so was”why change it to flats?” Well because I need a flats bass.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by JEDPQ View Post
    I bought the Fender MustangMicro. This thing is incredible. Best guitar gear I have bought in years. I can practice/play using headphones without driving my wife crazy (by repeating music segments until I get them right). I also figured out how to bluetooth into my laptop so my learning lessons come through the Micro. (I had to update the Micro firmware to allow for this). Thank you Fender.

Thank you for posting this. I was thinking about getting a MustangMicro. Not because I worry about bothering anyone (I live alone), but sometimes not having to plug into an amp appeals to me. That you can also link to your computer is a real plus. I appreciate learning this. Welcome to TFF!
    Striving to be ordinary

I just got one of these. Since I damaged my finger last year I've had a really bad time trying to figure out how to hold a pic. I was really turned off by the price, but not being able to hold a guitar pick was really keeping me from playing. It's only been a day or two, but it allows me to pick very naturally and I've played more guitar in the last three days than I did in the last year and a half. For that it was worth it!

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07ZCJJKRG
    Last edited by gibsonjunkie; 08-25-2022 at 05:19 AM.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I just got one of these. Since I damaged my finger last year I've had a really bad time trying to figure out how to hold a pic. I was really turned off by the price, but not being able to hold a guitar pick was really keeping me from playing. It's only been a day or two, but it allows me to pick very naturally and I've played more guitar in the last three days than I did in the last year and a half. For that it was worth it!

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07ZCJJKRG
    That's very cool, GJ, thanks for posting this! While I don't have any finger/hand injuries (other than arthritic stiffness at times) I have trouble holding a pick too, which is why for the majority of my playing I've been doing without. Recently, I had a paper cut on the side of my thumb that affected the way I strum, so I forced myself to use a pick. Ugh. This might be an answer!
    Striving to be ordinary

Forum Member

$40 seems a little pricey, but I guess if you consider it as a prosthetic device, maybe it's cheap!

Forum Member

I picked this Thinline up for a "reasonable" price. I let myself buy a Squire Thinline last year, and even upgraded the pickups and pots, etc, but it was as heavy as my regular Tele!
    Came into some extra money so I spent some!

A classic, Bill.

I know you've been jonesin' for one for quite some time.

Congratulations!

Forum Member

It sounds fine, they claim they are "Vintage Style" pickups, seem well balanced. I will probably change the cap to .033, and install a 4 way switch. The "series" pickup sound is really full!

Fender Tremolo Arm Tension Springs

The last item in my Positive Grid Spark MINI order arrived today: The replacement/upgraded grill. Originally, I thought it would be more of a gimmick (it was a free add-on to my order) but I think I actually like it better than the original (which is on the left in the photo).

Striving to be ordinary

TFF Stage Crew

I can't believe I didn't know about these for many years. Now I don't like to be without them.
    Another little mod you can do is to install a small ball bearing along with the spring. I don't know how it works, but it seems to give just the right tension to the arm, & makes the motion a little smoother

It took me a looong time to figure out what I was supposed to do with that small spring I found in my Strat’s case when I purchased it.

Motivated by @gibsonjunkie's post, above, I took a leap and purchased one of those Pykmax devices. He said it's enabled him to play for hours, overcoming the damage he did to his strumming hand. I don't have physical damage to my hand, but I always seem to suffer "loose pick" syndrome when I play, so I've chosen to play without. Had it arrived before my unplugged performance last night (and given enough time to get used to it), I think it would be a great way to add projection to my acoustic playing in such a venue.

The pick holder doesn't have instructions. Instead, there's an exploded view on the back of the package detailing the parts, which include three extenders and two pick holders. The company claims 99% of all picks will work. Made in Israel, if anyone's interested. I like that, because not only is it NOT made in China, but I also have prior experience with Israeli technology, and can tell you those people are wicked smart!

Striving to be ordinary

Thanks to another post by S. Cane, I followed a link and plopped down a little coin, and today in my mailbox I found.

From the web site: This 3 DVD box set provides an almost six hour journey through the Rock ‘n Roll life and music of John Cipollina. The captivating one-hour re-mastered “Electric Guitarslinger” documentary, includes bits of rare concert footage of Quicksilver Messenger Service, Copperhead, Terry & The Pirates, Thunder & Lightning, Dinosaurs, The Grateful Dead, and Zero. "Recoil" features interviews with David Freiberg, Gary Duncan, Greg Elmore, Nick Gravenites, Jack Casady, Paul Kantner, Spencer Dryden, Jerry Garcia, Bill Graham, Barry Melton, Peter Albin, Nicky Hopkins, Greg Douglass, Merl Saunders, Dan Healy, Terry Dolan, Martin Fierro, Rocky Sullivan, Joel Selvin, Charlie Deal, Merrell Fankhauser, James "Hutch" Hutchinson, Michael Blair, Mario Cipollina and more. Also included are interviews with John Cipollina from 1984 and 1989.

The "Recoil" Concert DVD includes 19 songs (most of these songs are previously unreleased) performed by Quicksilver Messenger Service, Copperhead, Link Wray, Thunder & Lightning, Terry & The Pirates and Dinosaurs.

I count Quicksilver Messenger Service among the bands whose albums/CDs/tapes I would want with me on a desert isle.
    Striving to be ordinary

Well I liked the Squire CV 70s PBass so much with rounds, while the plan was for flats, I ordered another one :)
    Flats = Black
    Rounds = Brown
    Mark

I received two nearly identical Fulltone OCDs on Tuesday. They were supposed to be a v1.4 and v1.7 but are both v1.7. I always wanted to compare versions and grabbed a couple knowing people would get crazy with the recent rumors and the prices would go up. I figured I'd have no trouble selling the extra one.

Though the nominal component values are the same, the two pedals sound surprisingly different (I assume it's a matter of tolerances on the parts). One is a run of the mill sounding overdrive pedal. They other has more presence and "pop". It's a lot better sounding and can possibly compete with my 1986 Rat or Wampler Pantheon.

Keep the good one and broom the other.

I am surprised that there was such a significant sonic difference though.

I have seen two identical EHX Soul Foods sound quite different one from another.

I bought this little over-expensive doo-dad to help me hold guitar picks. Since I damaged my hand I've had trouble doing so and while the idea of spending $40 on this little piece of plastic was ludicrous, I've been desperate. It actually works pretty well and I've picked up my playing quite a bit over the last couple days.

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Squier Paranormal Jazz Bass '54

Arrives next week.
    Last edited by VibroCount; 09-13-2022 at 07:54 PM.
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

That's actually quite attractive. Hope it sounds and plays as nice as it looks.

Let's have a full report upon arrival.

yes, indeed, I would like to know how the two knobs work.

GAS has detected the presence of money from guitars sold. X-class flares are roiling my world. Not 1 but 3 things have caused permutations of desire. What little rational thought that maintains consciousness is wracked with scheming to acquire as many if not somehow all of them.

TL/DNR version - a bass guitar, a Marshall cabinet, and a Fender combo; all of which are on my bucket list. In terms of which I'll use most, reverse the order=combo>cab>bass guitar

Combo is 2 hours away, cab is 40 minutes away, bass guitar is in Chile. The first is a brick and mortar shop (that'll take trade ins). The other two are private sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    yes, indeed, I would like to know how the two knobs work.
    There are four knobs, two sets of two concentric knobs. The top chrome knob adjusts the volume of each pickup. The bottom outer black knob adjusts the tone of each pickup. The same as the '61 and early '62 J basses and the AVRI '62 Jazz Bass made in the late 1990s and few years of the 21st century.
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

the impending cessation of support for my iPhone SE (original generation 2016) has put a slight change in my plans. I still have guitars to sell so if any of the other items are still available, we can pursue them later.

I have a 4x12 cab, a second one is a luxury. I have a p-bass albeit a short scale. What I don't have is a large iron 6L6 4x10 Fender combo and this one is just like my old one and in excellent condition. I paid for it today and will pick it up next week. Fender Super, 2 channel, 60 watt 4x10.

it was like this one https://reverb.com/p/fender-super-am...ombo-1993-1995