Thread: The Erin Go Bragh Thread For Sunday March 17, 2024

The Erin Go Bragh Thread For Sunday March 17, 2024

Yes, it's St. Patrick's Day. There's a smidgeon of Irish in my blood from my mother's side, so I'll go along with the crowd and be wearin' o' the green today (but somewhere I read that the Irish actually favor orange. Go figure).

I'll be having corned beef with my daughter's family this evening. Until then, it's a usual Sunday for me. Almost. I spent a few hours yesterday spreading mulch, pulling weeds, trimming bushes and getting the yard cleaned up for the season. Ouch. My back is not going to want me to go out for a long walk today!

And, in a stroke of good thinking, I ordered some electric outlet adapters for my upcoming trip. In just over a week I'll be heading off to Oz (and New Zealand) for the month of April. They use an entirely different plug type there, so now I have a complete set. Now, the challenge is to pack well.

But that's for another day. Today, it's time to chill and enjoy the Irish!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Erin Go Bragh Thread For Sunday March 17, 2024

Good morning all! Spring hit for a day or two - actually hit 70 the other day. My brotehr turned 69 on Thursday and my grandson turned 18. Gave him a Squier Strat for a birthday present (and a new gaming chair, as well). He's a great kid and really wants to learn guitar. He already taught himself piano and does pretty well on that. Busy week scheduled - lots of meetings... but that's the fun part of my job.

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I can’t believe how fast the days are passing by since I retired eleven years ago. I also can’t believe the number of my old friends and bandmates that have passed and are no longer with us…sucks to get old.

OS, I believe I read somewhere that the Irish Catholics wear the green and Irish Protestants color is orange because of William of Orange, the Protestant king who overthrew Roman Catholic King James II.

Hope all have a great day!

Thanks, Laker. I think I'll cover all the bases today by wearing a green shirt and running shoes that have orange trim.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

and yet another St Paddy's day and I ain't got a stitch of green to wear. Green is just a color that doesn't work well for me, don't know why.

Going to my friend's house today where his Spanish wife will cook the best corned beef and cabbage. My parents, god bless them, didn't cook it very well, boiling the ever living crap out of it. One day, many years ago I went over my friends' house and she was all excited to tell me that she made corned beef and cabbage for me. I tried my best to feign delight, thinking "oh no, she doesn't know I hate it". Well, it was delicious and I've been able to enjoy it ever since. Turns out it was pretty much my parents overcooking it. I've had quite palatable CB&C at restaurants, I would never have ordered it previously due to childhood trauma.

Another staple was cod fish cakes, which stunk even worse than the overdone CB&C. I've yet to encounter anybody who even bothered to make it. I wonder if it were something from Pittsburgh where my dad was born.

Weather looks decent for driving early this evening, yay for small favors. I'm trying to decide which guitar to bring. The acoustic that I haven't played in a year or go electric? I'm almost afraid to open the acoustic case.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Yesterday was busy doing taxes (the tax man is getting me this year). I knew it, but it was a touch worse than I anticipated. It’s OK, having my best friend who is an exceptional CPA look at where I’m at. Did church this am. Just dropping off a bookcase into storage as I need it out of the shed. Easier access to the push mower as next week we start mowing.

Going to do about an hours work today ( did 2 yesterday) and pay some bills. Then I have a toss up, either restring the Guild jumbo or go on a search for the pickups I bought years ago for a Tele build. Haven’t run across them yet.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    ... go on a search for the pickups I bought years ago for a Tele build. Haven’t run across them yet.
    That reminds me. I was thinking I need to buy a new pickup for the mini P bass I'm working on. At first I thought I'd steal the pickup from a VM P bass body I have (and should be getting it ready to sell) but was wondering if it would be worth it to buy rather than take less for the body. Then I remembered I have a full P-bass wiring harness, with a Fender Vintage '57 pickup and real CTS pots and Orange drop cap. YES, no need to buy anything.

If I can find it, of course is the caveat.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Well I ended up doing either. Ended up on a bunch of errands.

I'd really like to find those Tele pups and get this thing together.
    Mark

I'd like to Erin go bragh-less.

That's all I got...
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.