Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Re: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Sweetwater has great customer service. I've bought guitars and amps from them and cheaper gear too, and they're prompt and get the orders right. They accept returns if things aren't right, no problem.
    And they include a small bag of candy with every order!

Sweetwater has great customer service. I've bought guitars and amps from them and cheaper gear too, and they're prompt and get the orders right. They accept returns if things aren't right, no problem.
    I definitely know where to buy from during this crazy time, now. I was having all sorts of hell getting things here in a decent amount of time from any other music store website. Even the mom n pop places were quoting super extended shipping times.

Thank you, Sweetwater! Grant even called me a few minutes after the order went through to let me know they were working on getting it out the door asap. Sweet! Talk about surprised!

Currently looking for a notched straightedge so I can check my necks before I level and crown some frets.

Edit: just picked up a notched straight edge for $20. That's a hell of a lot better than the $103! that StewMac wants. This one is supposed to be flat to within 1 thou(.001") so we'll see. I believe it also comes with a fret rocker that's flat to 2 tenths(.0002"). Also supposed to be 2 inches longer than the StewMac version so it covers the entire neck.

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...aightedge.html

Vs

https://neckcheckguitar.com/fender/
    Last edited by WoundUp; 04-23-2020 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    I won an Ebay auction on an EH Soul Food today.
    I'm had my eye on it for a while, and with the Premier Guitar article about Klons and Klones kicked it up further. Listening to the clips online, the J Rockett Archer sounded the best (and the Ikon version sounds like I'd like it even more) but for a cost / benefit analysis, the SF sounds like it'll work fine to check sounds with. If I want to upgrade, I can likely turn the SF around for about what I paid for it.
    Looking forward to it getting here within the week or so to dig into it.
    I was looking at the Ikon Archer the other day. Wanted to buy it but hitting the limits of my spending budget at the moment so I gotta hold off.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I was looking at the Ikon Archer the other day. Wanted to buy it but hitting the limits of my spending budget at the moment so I gotta hold off.
    If the SF does even close to what I think it will, I'll probably move that along and go for an Ikon.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

health department of Kansas City MO just shut down Guitar Center's main warehouse. I got my headphones just in time.

non-essential business? no players on the board of health, obviously

neglected to mention I got these from ebay, I said in the sunday post that one fell apart the first time i unplugged it. As a result I probably left one of my first less than enthused reviews including pictures.

they were only 6 or 7 dollars free ship. Guess you can't expect Mogami quality at that price point

I got most of my stuff. Still waiting on 2 different Duane Allman shirts and my notched straightedge.

Got my Hercules Auto Grip wall hangers on Saturday. I absolutely love these things. The auto grip system is great! Especially for kids like my 9 yr old nephew. He can't knock his guitars off the wall if he's playing a little rough. That's how these hangers came about. My sister asked me to find a couple for him and wanted to know if I needed any. Heck yea I did! Lol. So I bought 4 and split the cost with her.

All I need now is a nice big Duane Allman poster to go on the wall between my 2 guitars and I'll be set. I've basically got one guitar at each end of the wall with a big, empty space in the middle. Perfect size for a poster or nice print.

Maybe this one

Or

Last edited by WoundUp; 04-29-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Just bought 2 of these, which are memorabilia from the actual 50th Anniversary show in NYC back in March. One for me and one for my Dad, who introduced me to the Allman Brothers and gave me Howard Duane Allmans middle name.

I won't repeat what I paid for them lol. They were quite expensive for t-shirts but I do not care. I'm just stoked that I was able to buy them. I figured I'd lost my shot since they only sold them at a NYC pop-up shop in the days before the show.

Might get this one next lol

Last edited by WoundUp; 04-29-2020 at 12:39 PM.

I bought an 8 pack of colored 1/4" TRS 1.5' patch cables. I have a ton of TS cables but not TRS.

have to figure out how many rack unit spaces I need to have a working setup on my workbench. So far I'm up to 6 RU but I'm thinking of a channel strip (or 2) and an outboard EQ of some sort. i don't know their sizes yet but I'm thinking 2RUs each. Then I should consider a power conditioner/distributor to plug everything into and control via outboard switches for sequenced start up. While I'm sure there are infinite choices I don't know if there are standard sizes like 10, 14, 16 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    If the SF does even close to what I think it will, I'll probably move that along and go for an Ikon.
    And go figure. I was trolling Ebay the other day, threw out a bid on an Ikon.... and won it by accident.
    I haven't even received the SF yet.
    I got a big load of crap from SWMBO on the SF showing on the bank account - not sure how and if I can get this past her.
    Holding off till I play with the SF a bit before I pay (sorry to the seller...) then I'll make the payment.

Quote Originally Posted by WoundUp View Post
    Might get this one next lol

LOL! I should get that one to hang next to my Anna Calvi quote!

I was looking for a rack unit for my workbench so I can set my rack mountable gear up. The cost and the bulk of the majority of them wasn't terribly comforting. Then I realized that they make studio rack spaces. But again they were pretty expensive and the lower priced stuff had rather poor reviews in terms of quality. Then I saw this and realized it was what I really need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm thinking of putting it on the little shelf unit to the right of my bench. It's 18.25 inches wide and the rack is 19. I may have to top the shelf unit with a board so the rack isn't teetering on the edges

Next on the agenda, a sequence outlet power conditioner of some kind, I want one switch to turn everything on from the powered monitors, to the preamp and compressor, to any receiver, tape deck, CD player etc. There's some ungodly expensive boxes out there but there's no way I'm spending 4 digits on this.

I'm going to bend things a bit to post this here, but I'll try.

I'm planning on having a NMSD in the future. I've decided to turn my gararge into a music studio. Sound proofed. Flooring.

So what have I bought so far to get the studio started?

My house. I've paid off my mortgage. I never thought I'd own it. I thought I would die still owing a lot on it. Now I have something to leave my kids.

I am not bragging, and I hope you all won't take it that way. I'm really excited. Already a pretty place, I can turn it into something really beautiful.. It's my other hobby now.

When I get the studio finished in a few years, anybody want to come to rural West Tennessee and do some heavy jamming? Ha ha ha
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I'm going to bend things a bit to post this here, but I'll try.

I'm planning on having a NMSD in the future. I've decided to turn my gararge into a music studio. Sound proofed. Flooring.

So what have I bought so far to get the studio started?

My house. I've paid off my mortgage. I never thought I'd own it. I thought I would die still owing a lot on it. Now I have something to leave my kids.

I am not bragging, and I hope you all won't take it that way. I'm really excited. Already a pretty place, I can turn it into something really beautiful.. It's my other hobby now.

When I get the studio finished in a few years, anybody want to come to rural West Tennessee and do some heavy jamming? Ha ha ha
    dude, check out home recording dot com they have a forum about studio building. There's a guy who just finished (well, almost) a major studio build. He started his post from the day he met with the contractor, had to go to the city hall for the permits, the variance hearings, etc, the ground breaking, the construction. Great read, almost 30 pages over a 6 month span.

Now, I'm not going to lie to you or try to discourage you, just want to throw out a question or two. As far as soundproofing goes, are you trying to avoid bothering the neighbors or are you trying to get major record label level of silence from intrusion of outside sound? Because that costs as much as a house in an expensive part of the country. If you're fairly far from the nearest neighbor i.e. more than 300 feet, then you can go for sound dampening at a more reasonable albeit not inexpensive rate. But if they're within spitting distance then it becomes way more problematic.

Color me jealous because I sooo want to have a music room that isn't a glorified closet.

dude, check out home recording dot com they have a forum about studio building. There's a guy who just finished (well, almost) a major studio build. He started his post from the day he met with the contractor, had to go to the city hall for the permits, the variance hearings, etc, the ground breaking, the construction. Great read, almost 30 pages over a 6 month span.

Now, I'm not going to lie to you or try to discourage you, just want to throw out a question or two. As far as soundproofing goes, are you trying to avoid bothering the neighbors or are you trying to get major record label level of silence from intrusion of outside sound? Because that costs as much as a house in an expensive part of the country. If you're fairly far from the nearest neighbor i.e. more than 300 feet, then you can go for sound dampening at a more reasonable albeit not inexpensive rate. But if they're within spitting distance then it becomes way more problematic.

Color me jealous because I sooo want to have a music room that isn't a glorified closet.
    Dan, I need to soundproof because of the neighbors, but I'd also like to have a place to record. It will be a while before I even start on my plans. When I do start, I'll be begging for ideas and advice here. Thanks.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

GC had an 8 switched outlet power supply controller. Each outlet has its own switch on the front of the unit. It's not a conditioner or surge protector but I like it better than a power bar. No more reaching around behind units to find their power switch. They have it in stock and I'm picking it up today via contactless curbside pickup.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/America...73887986599.gc

TFF Stage Crew

Guitar related? Hmm. Guitar-adjacent, maybe. Some juicy, 80s-analog sweetness for the studio.

Forum Member

Awesome!

I always hoped to come up with a Hammond B3.

JUST BECAUSE.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Awesome!

JUST BECAUSE.

oh hells yes. Impractical beyond belief, makes a 100 watt full stack look like a grab and go mini combo by comparison but the sound, the tones

my aunt paid 20 dollars to have hers taken away, two weeks before I asked my dad if she still had it. Not that we could ever have had it brought to our house but a boy can dream, can't he?

In the land of settling for mid-range Korg Kriss Kross 88 key synth / organ / piano, etc, I get pretty close to a B3, but of course, close but not IT. I have an expression pedal for it, but connecting it is a weird process involving inexplicable cables and programming. I'll get a wild hair and fix it up one day.

Apparently, the Korg has a function which would allow me to play my guitar through it and apply the leslie effect to it, but that's even more involved.

Now that I've disparaged it, I have to admit it's a great keyboard. The different pianos are excellent and so close to the originals.

Awesome!

JUST BECAUSE.

I have a 1960s Hammond L100 tone wheel organ that you can have for free!

I bought some UK made Amperex 12AX7 NOS tubes. I have some new (as in unused) rack gear purchased in 2018 or 2019 that have tube circuits that benefit from better tubes and now everything is coming together.

ooh, that reminds me, I need to go get the boxes of cables out of storage so I can hook everything up, and then take inventory of what I need (if any) to finish the job.

So the SF finally got here the other day - after sitting in a USPS facility for the better part of a week
    Been playing a bit with it - and for most amps it sounds great - (why on earth did I not like the Klon back when???)
    It doesn't work as well with distortion channels on those amps, and decent on the clean channels, but it sounds great with the single channel amps, even those with a boost on it...
    Gonna stick with this for a bit - I think the Ikon is a bit smoother sounding, but I kinda like the raggedy-ness for now.
    Maybe I'll even go with a KTR...A place near me gets them every so often - I'll have to look into it.

boughtt a used Dunlop Echoplex EP103 Preamp.

this showed up Tuesday, I bought it Sunday evening, actually Monday morning at 1:45 and less than 36 hours later it arrived. Good packing job.

Squier CV50 Stratocaster. I'm guessing it weighs a little over 7 and a quarter pounds.

the bridge is decked flat on the body but it tuned up well and played decent. I'm going to take it apart and give it a good cleaning, polish the frets, float the bridge, do a setup. For now it will sit, it had to take a number, there's plenty in front of it.

2014, same year as a CV60 I had bought body and neck separate and assembled. i sold that guitar assembled.

Have you ever been stimulated? Well, I ha-a-a-ave, now let me prove it to you. eeeeoooouuuunawnownuahoooooo

Awesome!

JUST BECAUSE.

Yes!

I ordered a Demon Tube Screamer TS808/TS9 combo clone with both circuits on a toggle switch for $25 shipped. Supposed to be here within 3 weeks. Coming straight from China. Watching all of the youtube reviews of it, everyone seemed extremely pleased with it. Especially for $25 so I figured wth. Why not?

Also had to reorder a cable from MF after it disappeared after leaving UPS in Carrollton, TX 7 days ago. This is a trip that usually takes 12 hours to travel the 200 miles and get scanned at the destination facility. I originally ordered it May 3. It got to Carrollton on the 7th and left on the 8th, never to be seen again.

So I got in touch with MF to see if they would contact UPS or something and they went ahead and refunded the order, but I still needed it. So I ordered another one.

Ordered a Guitar Madness 59'er bridge pickup that got here a couple of days ago, also. Got a bunch of single, EB .009" strings coming from Strings By Mail, as well. Maybe something else I'm forgetting.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

With the change in Ash availability, I ordered 2 bodies: an Ash Strat and an Ash Tele
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    With the change in Ash availability, I ordered 2 bodies: an Ash Strat and an Ash Tele

If I can ask, where are you getting them from?

And do you buy them already finished, or do you do that yourself?

I've always wanted to do a build and will do one some day.

If I can ask, where are you getting them from?

And do you buy them already finished, or do you do that yourself?

I've always wanted to do a build and will do one some day.
    I got them from Warmoth. A bit pricer but much higher quality.

The Strat will be unfinished as I will send it to a specific person for their Mary Kaye finish which is the best I have seen.
    The Tele is actually Roasted Ash and Warmoth will finish in a transparent Amber. Already have the neck for the Tele, also from W, and all Brazilian Ebony neck that’s already set up. Already have pups as well, some original Zhangbucker Paul Bunyan’s.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    I got them from Warmoth. A bit pricer but much higher quality.

The Strat will be unfinished as I will send it to a specific person for their Mary Kaye finish which is the best I have seen.
    The Tele is actually Roasted Ash and Warmoth will finish in a transparent Amber. Already have the neck for the Tele, also from W, and all Brazilian Ebony neck that’s already set up. Already have pups as well, some original Zhangbucker Paul Bunyan’s.
    i hope you'll share photos of these as you build them. They both sound great.

Yes, but it will be a while before they are complete. They are not budgeted for. But I had to strike while the iron is hot.

Neither Guitar will be normal.
    The Strat in MK. This won’t be your moms Mary Kaye. It will have a Gold non fine tuner floyd, partially scalloped neck. It’s initial setup for pups is all BL. L500 L and L280s. Pickguard will be a clear that I backpaint gold. Think MK Strat meets YJM Strat, meets hair rock, meets White Falcon.

The Tele will also sport a clear guard backpainted gold, but with black hardware. The bridge pup was the 2nd Paul Bunyan ever wound, and the first with a tap to vintage specs. The neck mirrors it. So 4 way switch to allow series as well with p/p pots to tap the pups to vintage specs.
    Last edited by blackonblack; 05-15-2020 at 02:29 PM. Reason: More info
    Mark

do pre-orders count? Just, um, asking for a friend

I haven't been participating in this thread lately, but received a few items on Friday. I ordered a used Fulltone Full-Drive 1 pedal. I had been interested in trying one out since they came out and Fulltone pedals are a good deal used. I'm not a big Tube Screamer/SD-1 guy, but there's a time and a place.
    Right after I ordered that, Kap'n told me about the DOD 250 being on sale for $45 so I ordered one. While I was on their site, I saw the DOD 201 Phasor on sale for $45 as well so I ordered it. Three pedals for well under $200.

The Full-Drive sounded a little flat at first. Then I had an opportunity to turn up my amp and it came to life. I prefer the King of Tone and Prince of Tone overall, but the FD1 is fatter sounding which is nice further up the neck. Sometimes you want your overdrive to sound natural (KoT/PoT), sometimes oyu want it to sound fat.

The DOD 250 sounds kinda ratty/splatty as an OD pedal. It works best as an always on clean boost to fatten your sound slightly. It's like corn starch- not good by itself, but if your gravy is a little thin...

The DOD 201 is a nice, plain phaser. I didn't have a phaser at all and I like 2-stage phasers so it was a no brainer at $45. My wife is going to get sick of hearing me play "Sweet Jane"!

sort of guitar-related. I was going to get a can of Ocean Turquoise Metallic nitrocellulose for an eventual guitar body project. As luck would have it the shop sold their last can and couldn't fill my order until they got some more. There was some strange reason like some sort of global health issue going on that caused that to not happen as they expected. I wonder what it was. Anyway then it occurred to me, I have an unfinished bass neck that I'd really like to get into action. I contacted the shop and proposed swapping my OTM order for a medium tint clear nitrocellulose and it arrived Friday.

the CV50 Esquire arrived Monday just before noon time. I brought it downstairs and unpacked it right away. Very impressive packing from the factory and the Sweetwater box effectively made it triple boxed.

I'm surprised at how good the set up was out of the box. I tuned it up and it was ready to go. Bright and loud, nice feeling neck, edges feel rolled, fret ends are nice and smooth. I'll be polishing the frets as soon as I find my tape dispenser.

It's heavier than my CV50 tele by an ounce or so, reading 8.6 on the bathroom scale. It's not really noticeable. I did a quick recording with it, doing 3 tracks with all three position of the pickup tone switch. I didn't mess around with the tone or volume controls yet. They feel nice and solid.

I need to track down my guitar tools and get them in a place where I can access them at will. That'll be my goal before any more purchases. I've got 3 new to me (2 new, 1 used) guitars that need their full physicals.

And I've got to get an amp unpacked. I need to hear my new gitfiddles and pedals that I've bought in the air, not just in my DAW.

When you buy a new guitar for use in your main playing room (living room, in this case), it's nice to have a stand you can put it on when not playing. Something small that doesn't require setup. And can fit into a gig bag if necessary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    When you buy a new guitar for use in your main playing room (living room, in this case), it's nice to have a stand you can put it on when not playing. Something small that doesn't require setup. And can fit into a gig bag if necessary

wish I could see what this is, I need a small stand or two to put by my work bench. I have the traditional metal tubular frame types which kind of take up a lot of real estate in tight spaces.

wish I could see what this is, I need a small stand or two to put by my work bench. I have the traditional metal tubular frame types which kind of take up a lot of real estate in tight spaces.
    Can you not see the image, or is it just not clear enough? I can take a photo of it and post later (my phone is in use right now), if that will help.

It doesn't show, jjst that little block that shows up when the image link doesn't work.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Can you not see the image, or is it just not clear enough? I can take a photo of it and post later (my phone is in use right now), if that will help.
    Tried to fix it for you, but couldn't.

It's an https image, so Sweetwater might not be allowing crossposting of their images. However, when I tried to open the image in my browser, it was "unreadable." Sorry!