Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Have You Not Bought Guitar-Related in the Last 48 Hours

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

What Have You Not Bought Guitar-Related in the Last 48 Hours

As a sister thread.

Chose not to buy a 70s Gibson J-200 (Tough I have always wanted one). Had a coupon from MF/GC and it was there used. Minimal pics and descriptions. I don’t need it. And I still have to write a check for a neck reset and a new bridge on an early 70s D-28 I acquired last year.
    Mark

Re: What Have You Not Bought Guitar-Related in the Last 48 Hours

I chose not to buy this 12-string bass, though I want it want it want it. Aural images of Cheap Trick's Tom Petersson in my head. Love Dug's playing as well.

Last edited by ch willie; 02-09-2024 at 07:43 PM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I like this thread idea!

TFF Stage Crew

I almost bought a used DRRI at Guitar Center yesterday. I just went in to pick up a single string (I swear!) & saw an American Original '50s Strat that needed playing. I plugged it into the Deluxe & was way more impressed w/the Amp than the guitar.
    Cooler heads prevailed

I was offered a really cool handmade Sea Glass Route6 guitar in exchange for my Z Wreck Jr. As much as I liked it, I already have a chambered mahogany body/maple top/P90 guitar and I passed on it. Then I found a cash buyer for the amp the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I was offered a really cool handmade Sea Glass Route6 guitar in exchange for my Z Wreck Jr. As much as I liked it, I already have a chambered mahogany body/maple top/P90 guitar and I passed on it. Then I found a cash buyer for the amp the next day.
    I wouldn't say no to the Sea Glass. Those are some really nice guitars.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    I wouldn't say no to the Sea Glass. Those are some really nice guitars.
    Hmmm, no binding, no fret nibs, look pretty cheaply made to me. Don't even undercut the fret tangs. What's the attraction?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I like this thread idea!
    So do I.

Well, I ws tempted to pull the trigger on a used Gibson SG special, there's something about that stripped down piece of growling evil that attracts me, but after some meditation I figured that I don't really need it.

My Rickenbacker barks pretty loud and doesn't quack as a strat does (the peculiar Rick 'Jangle' is entirely different), so it's the tool for when I want to play something less elegant and glassy.

Let go Sergio. I got a SG Special towards the end of last year. Fills a great niche and is a joy to play. Can’t believe I waited so long to get one.

I got it with the idea of a dedicated slide guitar. Nope I like it as is. Will dedicate my 79 LP to slide.
    Mark

As we were just talking P90 guitars, my other is a Heritage 530 (equivalent to a ES330).
    Well got tempted the other day by a 1958 Gibson ES 330. Local to me. Just turn away, turn away.
    Mark

Now that it's no longer a Stupid Deal of the Day I can breathe easier. Musician's Friend was offering a PRS SE P50E Sitka Spruce-Maple Parlor Acoustic-Electric Guitar for nearly 50% off. I'd have a hard time justifying spending $899 for one, but they were offering it for $499. Whew. Dodged another bullet!

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I saw that as well as was tempted. I resisted.
    Mark

Dang it! Stupid Deal of the Day has me clenching my fists and biting my lip as I lock away my credit cards. A VOX battery-powered amp with 33 built-in rhythm patterns and a 40+ second looper function? Powered (and charged, I gather) by USB. At this price, I suspect they won't last long.

Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Dang it! Stupid Deal of the Day has me clenching my fists and biting my lip as I lock away my credit cards. A VOX battery-powered amp with 33 built-in rhythm patterns and a 40+ second looper function? Powered (and charged, I gather) by USB. At this price, I suspect they won't last long.

That's a good price for what it is. I also did NOT buy it though it is a tempting thing. And it's only tempting to me because of the rhythm patterns. I have my AC30 all tube in the living room already. It would be stupid of me to get one of those. These days, I'm smart about purchases: $100+ equals bread, milk, coffee, and a few other items at the grocers. I like groceries more than rhythm patterns on an amp.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Surf Green Strat with a maple neck and white pickguard.
    I've wanted one all my life, but I already have too many guitars and arthritis is swiftly stealing my mojo!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I stepped away on a reasonable deal on a maple Guild Jumbo. I can get it later. Paid for the D28 work so music funds are spent.

That maple Guild Jumbo covers the Gibby SJ200 itch at a lesser price. A maple jumbo completes the acoustic collection, well except for a metal body resonator.
    Mark

A Korina V because everyone who say's they'll sell one gets cold feet.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Actually, I think I’m caving in and getting the Guild Jumbo.
    Mark

heh, I got a PM at TGP from a guy who saw that I wrote about wanting a GVCG tele and he was asking if I'd be interested. Of course I am but I am absolutely not in a position to get one, not without selling either my R0 (not happening) or the CS '56 Strat. The latter for a GVCG? Very tempting but also not realistic. Mostly because it would take a while to sell at an amount that would get me close to the GVCG.

Then I'd still need to get a Strat. Nah. Been through this rodeo enough times to know when you get a great one, hang the fuck onto it and don't chase something else. A great Tele will come around at the right time, it just isn't now.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Been through this rodeo enough times to know when you get a great one, hang the fuck onto it and don't chase something else.

You're learning.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I'm going to add to this thread because I actually thought about it for a minute.

I was at 7 C Music in St. Petersburg, Florida, killing time and picked up a Martin GPC 2XE RW and was surprised at how nicely it played and sounded. Sporting a spruce top with rosewood HPL back and sides, this is a low-end, eco-friendly Martin with a "select hardwood" neck and something called Granadillo as the fingerboard and bridge. No binding, a simple rosette and dot inlays. I played some high-end Martins, Taylors (7 C is owned and operated by Dave Hosler, who was a Taylor VP and designed the Expression System electronics for the company before going solo, which is why they feature a lot of acoustic Taylors), and a Gibson L-5, some of which were outstanding and some were actually less viable than the GPC.

So, I didn't buy the Martin, but I thought about it. So I think it fits here.

Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    You're learning.
    And funny thing is, as you progress as a player, your criteria for "a keeper' will change as your ability changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    And funny thing is, as you progress as a player, your criteria for "a keeper' will change as your ability changes.
    Word!

Well I caved, especially when my wife last night said why isn't it here. I said I decided against it. She SAID I should.
    So I did.

Guild Maple Jumbo 6 string in route.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    That also depends on what you will or won't accept in a guitar and what kind of sound you can get from it. My Martin 12 string has a neck that's too wide for my hands, but I figure that's the price to pay for an acoustic 12 string. I've never played one that was any different in that respect. So, it's a keeper if I want a 12 string acoustic. My Les Paul is heavy, and as much as I wish it were as light as a chambered one, it sounds good and feels good--it's a keeper.

Maybe it's because I'm a lefty and accept a guitar if it looks good to me, plays well, and sounds great. I have unloaded guitars that were great for someone else but didn't play well for me or didn't sound the way I wanted. I think I've been incredibly lucky too. Lefties don't usually have the luxury of try before you buy. I've been playing since 1976, and I'm all right. Any player worth a piss is always progressing.

I went to Sam Ash in New Haven CT yesterday to see what the BIG Going Out of Business Sale was all about.

Bought nothing! I don't need anything. Even at sale prices...
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

TFF Stage Crew

Another day has passed & I STILL haven't bought an HX Stomp. It's not like I want one; I haven't had good luck with modelers & multi-effects. But I feel like I should at least try one out from a utilitarian standpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Another day has passed & I STILL haven't bought an HX Stomp. It's not like I want one; I haven't had good luck with modelers & multi-effects. But I feel like I should at least try one out from a utilitarian standpoint
    Have you tried any of the more recent POD products? I really loved my POD HD500X. Then Line 6 decided not to update the Mac interface, and it's useless to me now. I was pretty impressed with the sounds I got.

I have a couple Helix LT units that sound quite good. Not Fractal good, but easily good enough for the venues I play. Not to mention 2 of the venues have these as house systems. Transports easier than the Fractal unit.

Just finished a guitar gig with one earlier today and have another in a short bit. Using the house unit so load in/out is quick and easy. Loaded my patches onto the house units back when I got my 1st one.

I tend to keep one unit in my house and the other in my truck for as needed. IE: I have a single site with 2 venues. One of the venues has on for guitar and one for bass. The other only has 1 for guitar.

I got a situation where I had to play 3 venues at 2 different sites on the same day. That’s why I got the second one. It was over back to back days, so being old I wanted to minimize load ins/outs.
    Mark

Couple of things. First was amplifier feet. I'm going to sell the DSL 201 which has only 2 feet on it. I could purloin the feet from the DSL 401 and put the new ones in it.

Second was a set of LaBella Deep Talkin' 760FM-P flat wound strings specifically made for the Squier mini P bass. Put them on last night and initial impression is favorable, as in very favorable. But then I liked flats on a P bass anyway.

Having a hard time keeping raging GAS in check. Need to make money somehow.

Wrong Thread.

Once again, Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day has me on the edge of my seat. I know it's not for everybody, but I like Breedlove guitars and the smaller ones are, IMO, hidden gems among the acoustic set. At $249.00, the Breedlove Discovery S CE Red cedar-African Mahogany Companion Acoustic-Electric Guitar Edge Burst (why do they insist on these terribly long names?) has me slapping my hand away from my wallet.

I'm sure it will be sold out soon, so all I have to do is stay away from the site for a bit...

Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I'm sure it will be sold out soon, so all I have to do is stay away from the site for a bit...
    It sure is purdy......

Six hours later and it's still up on SDOD...
    Striving to be ordinary

Well if it’s any consolation, I had a beautiful off shore Breedlove jumbo. The thing was always tight feeling and sounding. The top would never hit that point of nirvana. Sure play it harder, it went instantly from tight to nasty overdriven top sounding like a cedar top played aggressively by a metal thrash guitarist.

It went bye bye.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    It sure is purdy......

I think it's purdy too .........

Oops.
    Last edited by Sparky2; 03-19-2024 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Didn't mean to revive a very old thread, sorry.
    Am I alone in this?
    Am I alone?

It's wonderful having a destination while you're out sightseeing. Today, in Wellington, New Zealand, I went on hunt for a guitar store and wound up finding THREE of them! I managed to get out of buying anything by saying I was looking for a Maton Tommy Emmanuel model; no one in New Zealand has them, I'm told.

But I did find one store that carried Taylors and they had one of every model (I think) GS Mini. The Koa model was ugly, but since I already have one, I passed on that. I sat and played a "vintage burst" I hadn't seen before, and like every GS Mini I've played, found it positively delightful. But I didn't buy it because I have a GS Mini. Still, I satisfied my need to play for a brief time.

Saturday I fly to Sydney, Australia for the second leg of my trip. The guitar guys here in NZ say there are guitar store on every corner in Melbourne (where I head after Sydney) and that by law, each is required to have a Tommy Emmanuel Maton hanging in their shop. OK, so I know that's baloney, but I feel confident that before I return home, I will have had a chance to not buy a Maton Tommy Emmanuel.
    Striving to be ordinary

I just barely said 'no' to a set of Mackie CR3. They were 22 dollars off. But apparently dropping my left Eris 3.5 'fixed' the intermittent issue it had been not working every time I played something.

I was poking around on Facebook market place this morning and saw a Gibson Lab Series L5 amp for $300.
    I was tempted to inquire about it... but didn't.
    I know that's the amp that BB King used most of the time, at least later on. And no one could ever accuse him of having bad sound.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.