Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

Re: What Have You Bought Guitar-Related In The Past 48 Hours?

this showed up 48 hours after I ordered it

I was set to do a bunch of tracks with it and probably go well into the wee hours but my cat was wiser than I and demanded that I stop and give him attention. he probably knew I'd be going at it for hours and getting up late thus delaying his breakfast

2020 Epiphone Les Paul Custom 8 lbs 11 oz, great deal with hardshell case.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    now that sounds neat. You can play your phone through it, yes? Does it have a USB port to charge said phone?
    It is a nice piece of equipment. I have a ton of music on my phone and can play it through the receiver. It does not have a USB port, but since the range is supposed to be close to 100 feet, that isn't an issue for me. It was a "phone" deal at Sweetwater, and by buying a demo, I got it for even cheaper.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

It was supposed to arrive on Friday, but package delivery seems to be a bit out of sorts these days. In any event, I wrote before that I'm going to give my granddaughter the Kala ukulele I bought last winter, to replace the POS I got her as a Christmas gift. So, to replace my Kala, I bought this Lohanu single cutaway uke with built-in electronics. Came with a gig bag, tuner, replacement strings, picks and free lessons (I think).

TFF Stage Crew

TruGlide.

I saw this little guy on a Tim Pierce video on YouTube, did a search for it, and ordered one. There's no drilling, etc. It's held in place by the tuners, and it takes away that sharp break-angle between the nut and the tuners on Les Pauls and acoustics. The idea is that tuning stability will increase, both during tuning up and during playing. I did a string change and popped it on, then played for about a half hour. After the strings settled in, I was really impressed with the results. No more constantly retuning (esp. the G string) while playing. Very clever!

Last edited by pc; 03-11-2021 at 01:19 PM.

that looks pretty cool and it makes sense. It also keeps the strings evenly spaced through their entire path bridge to tuners. How close the A string came to the E tuner used to irk me about 3 on a side headstocks.

I just ordered one for my Les Paul.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I have 4 Gibson style guitars that could benefit from this. Will be watching for reports on it.

Forum Member

You'll need a new nut. You can see the nut was cut for the slant of the strings. The new device is causing a pinch on the a thru b strings.

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    TruGlide.

I saw this little guy on a Tim Pierce video on YouTube, did a search for it, and ordered one. There's no drilling, etc. It's held in place by the tuners, and it takes away that sharp break-angle between the nut and the tuners on Les Pauls and acoustics. The idea is that tuning stability will increase, both during tuning up and during playing. I did a string change and popped it on, then played for about a half hour. After the strings settled in, I was really impressed with the results. No more constantly retuning (esp. the G string) while playing. Very clever!

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post
    You'll need a new nut. You can see the nut was cut for the slant of the strings. The new device is causing a pinch on the a thru b strings.
    I can see what you see in the photo on the D string, but none of the others. Playing the guitar, there's no issue so far, and I played for another couple hours today with no tuning issues at all. If it becomes a problem, I'll update the thread.

TFF Stage Crew

A baker's rack.

Yes, a baker's rack is guitar-related, if you put a bunch of amp heads on it!

Soon to have that empty shelf filled with the Marshall Silver Jubilee.

Well hell, PC, it works!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

well, this is a little embarrassing. I had purchased (99% sure) a Dunlop EP101 preamp pedal. I wanted the preamp specifically, not the delay and it was a good price. I got my shipment, opened the box saw the Dunlop package and put it away. I didn't have an amp to try it with (still packed away).

Last night, I had an itch to play and track. "Hmm, I should try that preamp before I buy a Micro amp." I open the Dunlop package and there is an EP103 Echoplex delay, not the preamp I was expecting.

I have no freaking idea where I bought this. It's not in the order history of any of my online stores or eBay or Amazon. The best I can figure is a 70 dollar PayPal charge some time early May, but it's some forum member's name on an account and not his screen name. I had cleared out all my PMs, conversations, whatevers a few weeks ago. All my communications with previous sellers are gone.

Huh, I was planning on either a Catalinabread Echorec or Talisman pedal and holding off until I get an amp up and running again.

It's not just the delay that I go, this thing is mint, as in dead mint, NIB mint. I may have been the first person to take it out of the box. Maybe I will get the Micro Amp after all

TFF Stage Crew

Marshall 2555 100-watt Silver Jubilee just arrived from the Great White North. I've been playing it all afternoon.

It definitely has similarities to the 1987x Plexi reissue, but, with the diode clipping thing gives it that thick, 80s "rawk" thing that resonates with my teen years. I love it. Being able to crank it up to 11 is delicious, since my amp cab is in that "amp shed" in a separate room and I'm only hearing the miked sound (SM57 and Royer 121) through my studio monitors without melting my face off.

LOVE it.

sweet !!

PC, I had a giggle about the 80s rawk thing because of nostalgia.

My gear is so much a product of my age and what I grew up on and was influenced by.

I had a great Marshall halfstack--can't remember the model, but it was a flagship and had separate eqs on all four channels-- but it didn't sound like anything that I grew up on, so I didn't value it, sold it and have never regretted selling it. Someone is using it now and getting the greatest tones. Just not for me.

I'm glad you got your new Marshall. It feels great to be able to reproduce sounds that you've loved since you were young.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    PC, I had a giggle about the 80s rawk thing because of nostalgia.

My gear is so much a product of my age and what I grew up on and was influenced by.

I had a great Marshall halfstack--can't remember the model, but it was a flagship and had separate eqs on all four channels-- but it didn't sound like anything that I grew up on, so I didn't value it, sold it and have never regretted selling it. Someone is using it now and getting the greatest tones. Just not for me.

I'm glad you got your new Marshall. It feels great to be able to reproduce sounds that you've loved since you were young.
    You are spot on, and, in my gigging and gear-buying life, it has been the source of a lot of friction. I started playing in cover bands in the 80s, when pop music was either super-compressed and chorused clean tones, or full-on Marshall stack, arena-rock sounds. And, in fact, a lot of the big songs of that area had both: Uber-clean rhythm, then a HUGE solo tone.

Ever since, I bought gear that basically tried to emulate a person having a Strat into a clean amp for rhythm, that somehow morphs into a dual-humbucker guitar into a cranked Marshall for leads, then instantly back again. It has been... challenging.

Yes, yes, the well-rehearsed pat response is, get a guitar, amp and overdrive pedal that you like, and play with the feeling of those other players, rather than needing to copy the sound. I agree, and I try to do that. In my little project studio, though, my goal was to have every major flavor of amp and guitar so as to get any sound that I (or a client) might want on a track. For me, one of those flavors had to be 80s rawk. Because... RAWK!

For many years, I wanted to sound exactly like this one or that one. Still true about my 4001 and McCartney. But over time, it became more about whatever I'm writing and recording. I don't want one of my songs to sound like I'm a Clapton clone (if I were anywhere as good as Clapton, which I'm not).

That sort of thing was more important to me because of playing in cover bands and trying to "play it like the record".

It's nice to be able to reproduce the sounds of other artists, and sometimes that can work according to what you're playing.

As time has gone by, it's become more about using the geet that's right for my songs, and often, that means sounding nothing like my heroes' tones. When it does, I'm glad to have the option.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    For many years, I wanted to sound exactly like this one or that one. Still true about my 4001 and McCartney. But over time, it became more about whatever I'm writing and recording. I don't want one of my songs to sound like I'm a Clapton clone (if I were anywhere as good as Clapton, which I'm not).

That sort of thing was more important to me because of playing in cover bands and trying to "play it like the record".

It's nice to be able to reproduce the sounds of other artists, and sometimes that can work according to what you're playing.

As time has gone by, it's become more about using the geet that's right for my songs, and often, that means sounding nothing like my heroes' tones. When it does, I'm glad to have the option.
    x1000. Totally agree.

@DanTheBluesMan isn't the only gear slut here! Just delivered by the brown truck:

Martin OMC 15ME Streetmaster acoustic electric in Weathered Red.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    @DanTheBluesMan isn't the only gear slut here! Just delivered by the brown truck:

Martin OMC 15ME Streetmaster acoustic electric in Weathered Red.

I've had the regular finish, non-cutaway Martin 000-15M for a few years and it's been a great guitar! The tone is really "woody". You can't hear the metallic sound of the strings as much as on other acoustic guitars, yet it's not dull sounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I've had the regular finish, non-cutaway Martin 000-15M for a few years and it's been a great guitar! The tone is really "woody". You can't hear the metallic sound of the strings as much as on other acoustic guitars, yet it's not dull sounding.
    That's what they say about mahogany; Taylor and Martin (and others, I'm sure) make mahogany-bodied guitars specifically for their "warmer" tones. I'm letting it sit to acclimate, but I tuned it and played on it for a few minutes, and my first impression: great strumming guitar, not so great as a finger-picker.

Of course, by my user handle here, I guess you can tell what my focus is

Out for delivery, a 32' ultra wide monitor for my Macbook. I plan to set it up this week and record a song I've written. I'll also have to figure out Logic and some functions on my Korg Kross keyboard. Really excited about this.

bought a couple of Tungsram 12AX7 tubes for my Princeton Reverb.

After 4 months or so, the tuner on the high e string on one of my Silvertones finally broke yesterday so I ordered a new set of locking tuners to replace the o cheap, import tuners that are on it. When I got the guitar, the previous owner attempted to string the G in the high e slot, and tune it to e, and the tuner couldn't handle it. It was fairly bent, leaning at like a 20 degree angle. So I attempted to stand it up straight and use it as is. Well it finally gave up the ghost yesterday and broke completely.

Im just not sure which guitar to put the tuners on. Both Silvertones use the inexpensive, Squier-style tuners so I can either replace the set that includes the one that broke or I could replace the other set with no broke tuners and use one of those take-offs to replace the broken tuner on the other guitar.

I think I'll end up putting them on the guitar with unbroken tuners and swapping one of the take-offs onto the guitar with the broken tuner. I play the guitar with unbroken tuner a lot more than the other so it would make sense.

Not guitar related, but music-related. My old Roland XP50 bit the dust so I got this delivered yesterday. Roland VR-09B performance keyboard. I like it because it uses knobs and buttons for most controls instead of menu-driven controls. It's amazing how good it sounds.

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

GJ, I wish I'd seen this before I bought my Korg Kross 88. Its menus are not user friendly. Great sounding keyboard, but I love how your keyboard makes it so easy to set up things.

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    Not guitar related, but music-related. My old Roland XP50 bit the dust so I got this delivered yesterday. Roland VR-09B performance keyboard. I like it because it uses knobs and buttons for most controls instead of menu-driven controls. It's amazing how good it sounds.

I like that. Does it do MIDI stuff, too? I know so little about MIDI and my DAW has so much I'm not tapping the potential of. I'm getting to the point where I'd like to be able to put some non-guitar stuff into my recordings.

holy smokes, listening to a demo video of that keyboard. seriously impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I like that. Does it do MIDI stuff, too? I know so little about MIDI and my DAW has so much I'm not tapping the potential of. I'm getting to the point where I'd like to be able to put some non-guitar stuff into my recordings.
    It does do MIDI, too. I haven't begun to tap into that yet, but I have a lot of stuff I've written and saved as MIDI files. It will be great if I can play it all on this.

Quote Originally Posted by WoundUp View Post
    After 4 months or so, the tuner on the high e string on one of my Silvertones finally broke yesterday so I ordered a new set of locking tuners to replace the o cheap, import tuners that are on it. When I got the guitar, the previous owner attempted to string the G in the high e slot, and tune it to e, and the tuner couldn't handle it. It was fairly bent, leaning at like a 20 degree angle. So I attempted to stand it up straight and use it as is. Well it finally gave up the ghost yesterday and broke completely.

Im just not sure which guitar to put the tuners on. Both Silvertones use the inexpensive, Squier-style tuners so I can either replace the set that includes the one that broke or I could replace the other set with no broke tuners and use one of those take-offs to replace the broken tuner on the other guitar.

I think I'll end up putting them on the guitar with unbroken tuners and swapping one of the take-offs onto the guitar with the broken tuner. I play the guitar with unbroken tuner a lot more than the other so it would make sense.
    Ordered a 2nd set of locking tuners lol. So that solves that problem. Tuners on both guitars will be replaced now. Expecting delivery Sunday & Monday. Bought some inexpensive ones from Musiclily so we'll see how they work. If they don't, then back they go.

sort of music-related. I got a call from the car audio place that the kenwood cd-deck I wanted to get has come in. They were originally saying maybe Sept or Oct. They had exactly one come in today and I got the call. Having it put in on Monday. It's been about 2 years since I could play CDs in my car. This new deck will have a USB port on the front so I can plug my iPhone into it. I have Spotify and I'm so pysched to be getting this. Just in time for my next road trip to the mountains for an appointment on Tuesday.

Kenwood kcd-x304

I think I'm doing it backwards! I sold my 1980 Hamer Sunburst on Sunday and my Les Paul today. On the other hand, I ordered a new Heritage H-535.

Pictures (and review) when you get it!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I'm really interested in hearing about it too. I've looked at the H-535s online, but I've never heard one.

I'm curious, too. The biggest knock I've heard against Heritages were the solidbodies ran on the heavy side, no idea about the semi hollow bodies.

didn't you just get that kramer recently?

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

I have a Heritage 530 which is great. Much nicer than a Casino, and certainly as nice as an ES330
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    I have a Heritage 530 which is great. Much nicer than a Casino, and certainly as nice as an ES330
    Could you post a photo of it? I'd love to see it.

Forum Member

Nice one, Mike--what do you think about it?

Putting up a new shower curtain and getting some bathroom mats--I've waited too long to throw away the ones in my bathroom now.

I just got a Beatles Yellow Submarine Songtrack shower curtain and the mats will be here soon. I figured, why the fuck not? I needed the things anyway. The Beatles ones are no more expensive than a cheap set from Big Lots. Looks pretty cool too!