Thread: SF Pro reverb

Forum Member

SF Pro reverb

I have a SF Pro Reverb Combo. mid-late 70's. Owner was installing new 6L6's and broke a guide pin, but installed the tube at least one hole off....fire! Had to replace the socket and resistors..did a cap job...now this Pro has a power supply like all older Fenders....2-80uf at 350v, 3-20uf a 450....then there are 2-100uf@100v. I cannot find a schematic that matches this amp with this ps..
    Anyone out there crossed paths with one of these?
    The voltages ck good on the power tubes. Cathode, plate etc...
    I have the amp back to working but you have to turn the channel volume, either one, to at least 5+ and the master volume to at least 5 as well to hear it. Not loud at all.
    Also the output xformer shows signs of high heat and some wax dripped onto the chassis.
    Could the output xformer be weakened by the tube being installed wrong and causing this fire?
    Any ideas please help.
    Thanks
    Tubedude1

Re: SF Pro reverb

I'm not an amp tech by any stretch of the imagination but I think you might be right about the output transformer being toasted. Originality is nice but once the integrity has been compromised you might as well replace the transformer otherwise it isn't doing the amp much good. Better to have it healthy and robust.

Check out the output transformer diagnostics on the amp debugging pages on geofex.com. Actually, check all of the amp debugging pages to rule out everything.

Forum Member

I really appreciate the help you guys. I think it's the transformer as well and will go to the geo site.
    I have always talked with Patrick a Mercury Magnetics about transformers. There is no place in Oklahoma that can test amp transformers.
    I think I will have the owner ship it to them and go from there.
    Thanks again guys.
    Ron