Thread: Double Check Values!

Forum Member

Double Check Values!

Last year I built a DR clone, and wanted reverb on both channels. When I fired it up, I only had sound when the reverb level turned up. I looked and looked, but found nothing, and put it up for a while. I got it down recently, and once again, I found nothing wrong, until I discovered the 470K ohm resister in the reverb out, was really 470 ohm! I have always prided myself on knowing the color codes, and when younger used to "help" my uncle find the values he was needing.
    Even with reading glasses, I guess I'll have to start checking values with a meter!

Re: Double Check Values!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    Last year I built a DR clone, and wanted reverb on both channels. When I fired it up, I only had sound when the reverb level turned up. I looked and looked, but found nothing, and put it up for a while. I got it down recently, and once again, I found nothing wrong, until I discovered the 470K ohm resister in the reverb out, was really 470 ohm! I have always prided myself on knowing the color codes, and when younger used to "help" my uncle find the values he was needing.
    Even with reading glasses, I guess I'll have to start checking values with a meter!
    I always check values with a meter. I don't trust the vendors to mark them correctly.

I don't trust my eyes.

I put a meter on everything.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

I still have yet to learn the color codes... So I measure everything. 1K and 1M are the only ones I don't have to measure
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I use my old cardboard Radio Shack resistor code wheel when picking resistors out of the bin. Then I measure them.

Forum Member

I didn't know da colors meaned sumpin! I jes lick 'em and stick 'em! I picked da pretty ones...

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I use my old cardboard Radio Shack resistor code wheel when picking resistors out of the bin. Then I measure them.
    I keep mine pre sorted in a parts bin with little pull out drawers. They're also in those little baggies they come in, but I still check them with a meter.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

It used to be a game with me, and my uncle. He would be working on a project, and ask me to find a particular value. He would then start to tell me the colors, and I would say, "don't tell me, I know, I know".
    Maybe I had much better eyes in those years? I know the old carbon resistors were bigger, maybe the colors more vivid?