Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official TFF "what are you listening to?" thread

Re: The Official TFF "what are you listening to?" thread

Wow. Up until today, I never knew the host of players who contributed to Jimi Hendrix's "Electric Ladyland." AXStv today aired on its "Classic Albums" show a 1997 episode covering this seminal and ground-breaking album. People like Dave Mason, Jack Casady (one of my favorite bass players - holding a very nifty Gibson bass), Al Kooper, Steve Winwood, and of course Noel Redding, Mitch Mitchell, and a flurry of sound/recording engineers and studio musicians, managers, etc.

My vinyl copy of Electric Ladyland was purchased in Germany when it first came out. It did not contain any credits, liner notes or identifying data. It simply had a cover, a rear cover and an overleaf.

Having seen the video, I have a new appreciation of the items and techniques used (a kazoo? Really?). The sound engineers isolating different parts of different tracks also reveals some of the intricacies not always apparent. So, I'm giving it another listen. With new ears.

one of my favorite hendrix album. There's a bunch of songs together (4) that just by themselves would make a wonderful suite

Rainy Day, Dream Away
    1983 (a merman I turn to be)
    Moon, turn the tides, gently gently away
    Still Raining, Still Dreaming

Forum Member

Forum Member

Just listened to Talking Heads albums: 77, More Songs, and Remain in Light. What a tight band.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Wow. Up until today, I never knew the host of players who contributed to Jimi Hendrix's "Electric Ladyland." AXStv today aired on its "Classic Albums" show a 1997 episode covering this seminal and ground-breaking album. People like Dave Mason, Jack Casady (one of my favorite bass players - holding a very nifty Gibson bass), Al Kooper, Steve Winwood, and of course Noel Redding, Mitch Mitchell, and a flurry of sound/recording engineers and studio musicians, managers, etc.

My vinyl copy of Electric Ladyland was purchased in Germany when it first came out. It did not contain any credits, liner notes or identifying data. It simply had a cover, a rear cover and an overleaf.

Having seen the video, I have a new appreciation of the items and techniques used (a kazoo? Really?). The sound engineers isolating different parts of different tracks also reveals some of the intricacies not always apparent. So, I'm giving it another listen. With new ears.

Forum Member

I like that album.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Forum Member

Forum Member

Do yourself a favor, get the Live at the Fillmore East on vintage vinyl. Night and day between that and any digital or remastered version. There's a particular warmth and feeling of a live space on those two LPs that got lost on CD. The drums fit into the mix so much better in analog and you don't get that digital "sizzle" on the cymbals.

One of the best live recorded albums ever IMHO.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Forum Member

This again. Damn good.

One of the bright lights of modern technological living is the ability to see concert videos in the comfort of one's home. And if you have decent tv/audio equipment, the experience can be quite enjoyable.

I was watching the Cream reunion concert at Royal Albert Hall in 2005. I had forgotten how individually talented the three were. Particularly Ginger Baker. Time, and the notion that he was a product of methedrine addiction replaced the real ability with the sticks. His rendition of "Toad" was brilliant!

(Incidentally, I watch these videos on AXS TV. If it's available through your content provider, you might look into it).

I'm currently watching The Who performing Tommy at the Royal Albert Hall in 2017. The soundtrack can be found here:

I so wanted to see that tour but the tickets, ai yi yi. didn't have enough organs to spare to buy one

Forum Member

Been reading Elvis Costello's autobiography Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink. It's got me listening to a lot of his stuff. I've always been a fan and hope to see him in Memphis on November 19.

My faves aren't necessarily in agreement with the critics, but I love and have been listening to the first album, Armed Forces, Spike, Imperial Bedroom, Mighty Like a Rose, and When I was Cruel.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Forum Member

Forum Member

Forum Member

I was listening to a radio station a couple years ago when they played this killer song and of course didn't identify it. I looked up the station's playlist when I got home and found it was a nugent tune. for the life of me I can't remember which one. it definitely wasn't one of his hits, it was one of those good deep tracks but dang if I can figure out which one. I just spent the better part of an hour looking at track listings and googling lyrics but nothing seemed to strike me.

Forum Member

Vinnie Paul, RIP brother.

You have an admirably varied and eclectic choice in music, @mikesr1963. I don't particularly care for some of your tastes, but I'm not one to judge. My own tastes would probably have people scratching their heads in wonder and confusion. Much of my listening these days is not from my collection of the past 60 years, but from online streaming audio. Kind of hard to post specific references, therefore.

I will say that I've been enjoying the weekly broadcasts (first over terrestrial airwaves, then on the Internet) for nearly 40 years. Sundays are free, but I pay to have the ability to listen anytime to any program.

https://www.hos.com

There is a weekly program, "Night Tides," that originates out of KCUR-FM 89.3, Kansas City. It's a Public Radio station, and the entire four-hour program of the past week is available on the web. It's a great, eclectic mix of jazz, ambient, electronic and new age. You never know what the hostess, Renée Blanche is going to play next.

Forum Member

Post number 100.

Forum Member

You have an admirably varied and eclectic choice in music, @mikesr1963. I don't particularly care for some of your tastes, but I'm not one to judge. My own tastes would probably have people scratching their heads in wonder and confusion. Much of my listening these days is not from my collection of the past 60 years, but from online streaming audio. Kind of hard to post specific references, therefore.

I will say that I've been enjoying the weekly broadcasts (first over terrestrial airwaves, then on the Internet) for nearly 40 years. Sundays are free, but I pay to have the ability to listen anytime to any program.

https://www.hos.com
    Thank you sir, I'll check out the link. My listening habits were instilled before I was a teenager and I've just never gone in another direction. Can't explain it. All my friends from my teen years listened to the radio and recorded the Top 40 each week on cassette tape and I just never got into it. My ear always lean on guitar heavy and or bands with gun slinger lead guitarists. While friends would be spending their money on a variety of things for me I was looking for that next album. With that I listened to them front to back always and if another song came on after a certain tune or was out of order it just seemed weird. OCD maybe. I load everything into iTunes or if I buy from Amazon or iTunes I burn a back up cd. With that bit of weirdness out there my favorite way to listen is still via cd on my stereo a full cd at a time. Or if I'm somewhere I have to use my phone it's the same thing from first song to last and I guess I've been doing that for about 40 years myself. Damn I'm old. Guess one day someone will stick their head in my little home office/studio and scream turn that damn music down and realize holy cow, he's dead. Rock on brother.

"he went out the way he wanted"

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post
    My listening habits were instilled before I was a teenager and I've just never gone in another direction. Can't explain it. All my friends from my teen years listened to the radio and recorded the Top 40 each week on cassette tape and I just never got into it. My ear always lean on guitar heavy and or bands with gun slinger lead guitarists.
    I put my listening habits into two general categories:

1. Your aforementioned "guitar heavy" tunes, with a major emphasis on "British invasion/San Francisco 60's-70's" sound
    2. 1990's and later "tech/ambient/electronic/chill." If there's guitar work in it, more the better.

Most of my collection for #1 is on vinyl. CDs comprise the most of #2

And having discovered a seemingly endless well of streaming audio, I listen a lot through my Apple TV, iPhone, satellite radio, and more.

There almost no time I don't have some sort of audio playing. It keeps me company.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post
    By the way, the first song on this album has the greatest guitar tone ever recorded.

Man, I don't know what Jorma and the rest of the crew used to record this, but this album has some GREAT tele-like tones!

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Man, I don't know what Jorma and the rest of the crew used to record this, but this album has some GREAT tele-like tones!

Interesting, as Jorma plays Martins exclusively for acoustic, and Gibsons for electric.

http://jormakaukonen.com/gear.php

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    This is a cd I stumbled upon looking at something else and the cover art caught my eye. So I thought ok, I'll listen to a sample and BAM!!! That sound, then I had to have it.

Forum Member