Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: The Official TFF "what are you listening to?" thread

Re: The Official TFF "what are you listening to?" thread

He is an undersung hero, OS. I never think of him when guitarists are mentioned, and yet some of his playing is so well known that we hum it without realizing it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I’m relistening, for the 1,376th time, to London Calling by The Clash. That was my album pick as Patreon “producer” of a rock podcast I listen to (and hosted by friends). The format is a short interview about why I chose this album as a classic, followed by the hosts dissecting the album track by track from musical, production, historical and contextual perspectives. Then I come back and to let them know what my mix tape selections would be and we chat about that.

I always knew it was an eclectic mix of styles and cultural references but really listening closely with a critical ear, man, all the guitar playing on that album can only be described as chaotic! Bass and drums are tight and on more than occasion, the bass is the melody instrument!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    I’m relistening, for the 1,376th time, to London Calling by The Clash. That was my album pick as Patreon “producer” of a rock podcast I listen to (and hosted by friends). The format is a short interview about why I chose this album as a classic, followed by the hosts dissecting the album track by track from musical, production, historical and contextual perspectives. Then I come back and to let them know what my mix tape selections would be and we chat about that.

I always knew it was an eclectic mix of styles and cultural references but really listening closely with a critical ear, man, all the guitar playing on that album can only be described as chaotic! Bass and drums are tight and on more than occasion, the bass is the melody instrument!
    London Calling is a masterpiece. Def my fave album of theirs, London Calling also my fave song of theirs. Joe and the boys understood that a good song is dynamic and builds and builds. It is masterfully written, masterfully played.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

An Internet disruption becomes a thing of delight, as I turn to my album/CD collection for sound to fill my home during a "wintery mix" outside. Regular readers may know that I have some very eclectic tastes in music. One of the artists I have a fondness for, and many albums to prove it, is the relatively unknown British act, Jade Warrior. With seemingly as many membership changes as recorded albums (16, according to AllMusic), Jade Warrior's music is as distinctive as it is difficult to classify.

I am listening to their 1994 release, Distant Echoes. Here is the AllMusic review:

First released in 1995 on the Red Hot label, Distant Echoes was the second and last album of a brief Jade Warrior comeback. The CD was soon deleted, but Blueprint reissued it with new artwork in 2001. The previous album, Breathing the Storm, was a serene but slightly flavorless collection of ambient instrumental tracks. Distant Echoes remains in the instrumental new-age-meets-prog-rock realm, but it leans more toward progressive rock overall. The trio of Jon Field (flutes, EWI), Colin Henson (guitars), and Dave Sturt (fretless bass) is augmented by a host of guests, including a choir, a drummer, percussionists, saxophonists, and ex-King Crimson violinist David Cross. The sound palette is richer and has more punch. Henson's electric guitar was almost unheard on the previous album, while it gets more attention here. Exotic influences (mostly Arabic) appear here and there, spicing up the sound. "Night of the Shamen" constitutes a highlight, as does "Into the Sunlight," the two most progressive pieces of the set. Old fans of Jade Warrior will find themselves in more familiar territory with this less ethereal, more visceral album. Recommended.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I enjoyed playing "Light My Fire" back in the day. I've liked a couple of the covers as much as the original and for the first time today, I love José Feliciano's and Ritchie Haven's versions, especially José's This is another one to add to the list.

The combination of weather, my desire to get out and get exercise (accompanied by music) and using a long idled iPod has me listening to stuff I haven't heard in ages. There's a reason I put this stuff on the iPod, after all...

Some early Savoy Brown stuff has been hitting my eardrums. Songs from A Step Further and Raw Sienna. I wonder if, in today's hyper-charged climate, they would be "canceled" for lyrics like these:

I'm tired of being a fool
    And my mind going from hot to cool
    And trying to conform to others ideas
    And someone else's rules

The life I'm living ain't mine
    I'm supposed to feel that's fine
    I didn't make the world I'm living in
    And I ain't gonna toe the line

I'm tired of trying to be something I know ain't me
    I'm tired of living up to what people expect me to be
    You know some people are different
    Now ain't that a crying shame
    Now wouldn't be a real drag if we were all the same

And I'm not going to try to please
    Eyes that just don't see
    If I get myself together
    You'll have the blues not me

I'm tired of trying to be something I know ain't me
    I'm tired of living up to what people expect me to be
    You know some people are different
    Now ain't that a crying shame
    Now wouldn't be a real drag if we were all the same

And I'm not going to try to please
    Eyes that just don't see
    If I get myself together

Striving to be ordinary

...for a bit of a change of pace. Which of these is your favorite?

Striving to be ordinary

Not playing this game. Each is unique and wonderful, and I can’t choose. I’m partial to Joe Pass, George Benson, Wes Montgomery usually but all of this is good.

I took advantage of the pre-ballgame weather today and went to pull weeds in my back yard. As I sometimes do, I took my 1st gen iPod touch (circa 2007) that I once loaded up with a lot of my (now old) music library. It's always fun to hear stuff I haven't listened to in a while, and on random play, I never know what's next (yeah, Free Bird came up, and you know - I listened to the whole thing!).

Since this is a Fender forum, I thought I'd mention two players I heard. If you want some definitive Stratocaster "quack," the late Paul Barrere (d. 2019) of Little Feat gives a sterling example on "On Your Way Down," the Alan Tousaint number they played live on "Waiting For Columbus." But what really came to mind was an artist I've liked for nearly 30 years. He doesn't get a lot of notice, and plays mostly in my dad's adopted (retirement) home town, Sarasota, Florida. He's released nine CDs, and gives lie to the idea you can't play jazz on a Stratocaster. I guess you'd call it "smooth jazz," but Kicklighter can light up a Strat! Here he is playing his composition Without You live.

Striving to be ordinary

Buckethead - Relaxing Mix. My favorite is the second song in this compilation, called Track 1 from the album Pike #78. It's got a blues vibe to it.

Edit: below is track 1 from his album Pike #78. It seems Brian Carroll aka Buckethead has released over 300 albums since 2011. Over 300! I had no idea he did anything other than shred until a few days ago so I've been finding all sorts of good stuff from him.

Last edited by WoundUp; 04-23-2021 at 09:35 PM.

Another sleepless night... You'd think after 6 years, 9 months and 24 days, I'd be use to it but I'm not...

Lately I've had Ronnie Montrose's debut album Montrose in my CD player. I find it hard to wrap my head around that it's from 1973. It would not have sounded out of place 10 plus years later. They were quite influential upon many up and coming bands who began 80s hard metal and hair bands.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Some albums seem to float in and out of my consciousness from time to time. Jefferson Airplane's Volunteers is one such. Sometimes it's the title track, sometimes it's Jorma Kaukonen's rendition of the traditional Good Shepherd, or David Crosby's Wooden Ships. Released in November, 1969, this album seemed to be anthemic for the closeout of the decade.

(I have the original vinyl of this. I found it humorous even then that the insert with the song lyrics replaced the "F" word with "Fred").

Striving to be ordinary

Buckethead - Pike 78 - Track 1

I get emotional every time I hear it, knowing why it was written. I can't help but think of my own daughter, who I buried in 2014, when I hear it.

This week, it's been:

Klaatu's Magentalane. It's not their best, but it's still fun to listen to.

King Crimson, various. I love the Greg Lake albums, but the Wetton albums as well. And Fripp is a hero. I absolutely love the videos he's doing with Toyah. His guitar sounds like shit, but it's so much fun.

I've listened to a lot of the old masters this week--Beethoven, Grieg, Debussy, Satie, and a playlist of female composers.

Haven't been able to keep The Black Keys' newest album off since they released it on Apple Music.

This is a hell of a no-bullshit rock album.

I'm getting used to listening to music again without headphones. Yesterday I had Spotify on. I played Aerosmith's "Get Your Wings" album and then let it go into radio mode based on the album. That was fun

Karl Goldmark today. Great composer from the late 1800s, one of my fave times in orchestral music. "In Italien" is a good intro to his work.

Fripp's weekend vids with Toyah have become faves.

So I've been listening to a lot of King Crimson and Fripp's solo stuff.

I've always loved the music, but now, I'm becoming fairly obsessed with Fripp's playing. Why did I never dig him before so much? The guy is one of the most brilliant rock guitarists ever.

Today, I've listened to Court of the Crimson King and Red--both fantastic albums.

Recently discovered these guys from North Carolina. They sound really cool, remind me a lot of the early Rolling Stones stuff.4

One of my favorite Buckethead songs, from Pike 13...written for his ailing father years ago, before he passed away.

Rest in Peace Thomas Manley Carroll.

Thank you for raising such an amazing, artistic, creative human being, sir.

And one of 2 albums written after he passed away.

Pike 150(For my father, Thomas Manley Carroll)

1. Heaven is Your Home

2. Always Watching

Since I can only post 2 vids per reply, here's the 3rd

Pike 78 Track 1. Pike 78 was written right after Buckets Dad passed away.

Pike 78 Track 1 is from 1 of the 2 special albums he released with no artwork, no name, no track listing and no song names. Both released after the death of his parents at separate times.

Pike 78 Track 01 is my absolute favorite song by Bucket. It makes me think of my daughter, who I miss dearly. She'd be turning 9 this year. Instead, I get to have the anniversary of her passing each year on July 1...

Please don't text and drive. Please. Had my ex learned that, our daughter would still be here today.

And one from his earliest albums, Giant Robot

Mrs Beasley

Wednesday was Charlie Watt's 80th birthday. I listened to The Rolling Stones on Spotify.

Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post

Good pick! Principato is a local (to me) guy, and has been a fixture around this neck of the woods for decades! He's received over 20 Wammys (Washington Area Music Awards), has endorsement deals with Fender, Seymour Duncan and others. And is relatively unknown outside the area.

For those unfamiliar with Tom Principato, perhaps this tidbit from
    Wikipedia might whet your appetite: He "was initially inspired by the music of Roy Buchanan, Chet Atkins, and Danny Gatton.[1] However, a life changing moment occurred when he was still a teenager. Principato remembered "seeing B.B. King for three shows a night, three nights in a row, in 1969 at The Cellar Door
    club."

Striving to be ordinary

Listening to Scorpions "World Wide Live". Apart from a couple of their radio hits, I really know little of their stuff. I'm really impressed with how good this album is. Band hitting on all cylinders in their prime. They were a band that just wasn't on my radar at the time.

talk about jumping all over the place

after the german rock, I listened to Mozart Symphonies 35-41 by the Academy at St Martins In The Fields with Sir Neville Marriner. Probably my favorite classical recording of all time. Especially the third section of Symphony 39, menuetto allegretto.

Then i finished off the night by listening to Physical Graffiti by Led Zeppelin. I made it as far as Kashmir before I dropped off to slumber .

I mentioned earlier that I have some "legacy" iPods that I've used for running, and back when car audio was lacking, so today I pulled one out that a long time ago I had loaded with the Billboard to 100 Hits of a number of my favorite years. Today I was out getting my exercise, listening to the likes of Minnie Ripperton, Three Dog Night, Peter & Gordon and a lot of throwbacks, and then on came a song that had that unmistakable Tele twang.

You know, we don't have a lot of (admitted) country players here, but I don't care what kind of music you're playing when you play crazy (I mean that in a good way) Telecaster!

It's funny, because I recently got a good dose of Toby Keith's melancholy "Happy Birthday America" and now up pops an older Toby Keith song, "How Do You Like Me Now?" I don't know who plays the lead, but if it isn't a crazy Tele, it's a pretty good imitation!

Striving to be ordinary

Not this second, but |I got my copy of the Peter Green Tribute concert from last year yesterday.
    I've already listened through twice, and it's great. Amazing all the top artists that came out for it.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    Not this second, but |I got my copy of the Peter Green Tribute concert from last year yesterday.
    I've already listened through twice, and it's great. Amazing all the top artists that came out for it.
    I'm going to have to check that out. I got a tribute album years ago called Rattlesnake Shake that I liked a lot. A live album would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I'm going to have to check that out. I got a tribute album years ago called Rattlesnake Shake that I liked a lot. A live album would be awesome.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

an Aerosmith album played on Spotify seeded a radio playlist that included "Stone Cold" by Rainbow and "Perfect Strangers". Pursuit of those lead to me listening to their respective albums, neither of which I own.

One thing I'll say for Spotify, I get to listen to stuff I don't own ... yet. I'm listening to the studio version of Astronomy by Blue Oyster Cult. I've only known the live version, on a cassette somewhere.

I love my Spotify. I’m going through an orchestral music phase. Spotify has it. I started listening to Wagner’s Ring cycle. Sibelius? Bruckner? Tchaikovsky? Prokofiev? Obscure female composers? Spotify has it. To be fair to performers and writers, I’d pay more. Of course, by now, Beethoven doesn’t give a fahk.

Hulu has a new original series airing, "McCartney 3, 2, 1" and I watched the first episode this evening. It's both fascinating and, I think, pointless at times.

Heralded by Hulu as McCartney sitting down with producer Rick Rubin and discussing in intimate detail some of the aspects of his 50+ year career, Sir Paul reveals some little-known historical tidbits, such as what inspired the name "Sgt. Pepper," allowing a guest musician (Eric Clapton) into the studio, and some of the interplay between Paul and John.

Perhaps my comment about it being pointless is overly harsh. It's part of Paul's biography, running in six parts, and I don't expect it to be anything more than additional entertainment and info about one of the legends of the music industry.

https://www.hulu.com
    Striving to be ordinary

Huge Macca fan, and I don’t expect to learn anything new. McC has settled on a narrative of his life and tells the same tales with the same pauses and has done for some time. I’d rather see interviews with him about his life and music now as he faces the final stretch. I’m probably one of only a few who want that. And there are plenty of casual fans who know little of his story. I’ll watch it because I like him and owe him a lot for the pleasure I’ve had as a musician and listener.

Been listening non stop to "Songs for groovy children", a collection of Jimi Hendrix's 69-70 New Year's performances.

I've always preferred Jimi's studio albums, never really liked his live performances as he'd too often rush and make a big mess out of the song.

But this is a collection of GREAT live songs that are simply perfect Jimi stuff.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I've always preferred Jimi's studio albums, never really liked his live performances as he'd too often rush and make a big mess out of the song.
    ......And his guitar was seldom in tune.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    ......And his guitar was seldom in tune.
    Yeah, that too. But I really like his studio albums and this collection is definitely worth a listen

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

HIs studio work was pure genius, none better. Probably because he was sober and studio time cost $$$.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."