Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official TFF "what are you listening to?" thread

Forum Member

Re: The Official TFF "what are you listening to?" thread

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post
    what amazing albums these two you posted are.

I'm revisiting another one of those bands I really glommed onto back when, that nobody else ever gave two hoots about. "She Comes In Colors" is one of those songs deep in my repertoire that I've started playing again. The harpsichord solo is a no-go, but I'm finding ways to fill in that bridge with guitar riffs of a sort...

I tend to go in cycles when it comes to my listening habits. I have nearly every album in their catalog, including the rare, out-of-print At Peace.

Forum Member

Listening to an audiobook right now on Audible.

'Please Be With Me: A Song For My Father, Duane Allman' written & narrated by his daughter, Galadrielle Allman. It is superb!

Admittedly, just catching up.
    Joe Venuti, and George Barnes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe1khLGIDOo
    I love Rock 'n Roll, but sometimes jazz is good for the soul too.

Listening to Allman Bros at Woodstock '94. I had no idea Derek Trucks played Woodstock at freakin 15 yrs old! Wow! You can see him out there with signature ponytail and backwards Braves hat

I was 13 yrs old when Woodstock' 94 happened and yet this is the first time I've ever taken time to watch any of it.

That's good stuff, WoundUP. I don't think I ever watched any of it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

"Bop 'Till You Drop"- Ry Cooder

Supposedly the first digitally recorded commercial album. My favorite song on it? "Don't Mess Up a Good Thing"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExuqsRMMoy4

vinyl

Tonight it's Fillmore West '71. Just got done with SRV, Jimmie V, some Eric Gales, and Gary Clark Jr.

It seems to me some guitarists don't get the recognition I think they deserve.

Jeff Beck's 2016 Loud Hailer. I like it better than many of Beck's records of the 2000s. He blends the traditional with a modern edge. Blues based. Really enjoying it.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

An urge hit me to dig into my vinyl because I wanted to hear "Road Ladies."

Love that album, OS. I'm a Zappa fan. Joe's Garage and Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life are tied for faves.

I'm listening to the Byrds 5th Dimension. I love that album and it's been decades since I've listened to it. Great guitar work. Their spin on psychedelia is still straightforward, and they're unmistakably the guitar and vocal group we love.

It's a Rickenbacker lover's heaven.

listening to my music room mac mini playing iTunes Genius mix. At the moment "Jesus Just Left Chicago" is playing.

More on this in another thread
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Going baccccck to the late 70s and early 80s tonight for punk and new wave. Had to listen to this goodie.

I just put together one hell of a playlist on Spotify. Great songs with killer riffs by contemporary guitar players that kick ass.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5L...RLOfM4qVGBVMEQ

I love the classics but it’s good to listen to fresh material too.

Having just read Clapton's autobiography, I realized I hadn't listened to anything by him in ages.

OS, From the Cradle is one of my favorite Clapton albums: I'm a big fan, and I've got to read that autobio. I have Philip Norman's bio of him in my near-term reading list. Anyway, I know it's blasphemy, but I'm not really into blues. And yet, I love this album. I have to say with blasphemy that i prefer the ways that rock of the 60s and 70s interpreted the blues to people like Muddy Water and earlier blues stars.

I've been listening to my 2nd fave George album, Extra Texture. The critics absolutely burned him for this one. Even Beatles-friendly critics still lambast this album. Fuck the critics, right? If I like it, it's good.

I saw Clapton during the From The Cradle tour. Paid 125 dollars for a seat against the back wall of the balcony of the old Worcester Centrum. I got the ticket after first hearing that EC died along with SRV, then an hour later the DJ corrected the news and said EC was not on the chopper. I vowed to see him ASAP no matter the cost. Still the most I've ever paid for a ticket and that was, what?, 1990-ish. I had a job, and rolled in credit card debt up to my eyeballs but I was going to see him.

I left the show walking on air. My date, however, wasn't happy. She said: "I thought he'd play his song Tears In Heaven"

"I told you, it was going to be absolutely nothing but blues, why did you think he was going to play that song?"

"Because it's like his biggest hit?"

sigh.

I saw Clapton in concert in 1974 at the Capital Centre in Landover, Maryland. -NOT- a venue for concerts, in my opinion (saw Joan Baez and Pink Floyd there too, just to give you a range of types). This was shortly after he'd released 461 Ocean Blvd. And, after he'd kicked his heroin addiction.

It was LOUD. Too loud, if you ask me. Not the loudest concert I've ever heard (Humble Pie has that "honor"), but in a cavernous arena such as the Cap Centre, with sounds echoing all over the place, the overall sound was muddy. Not to mention Clapton was moving into his "sideman" role, and so he wasn't the center solo performer many (yours truly included) hoped he'd be.

Still, I'm glad to have him on the list of artists I've seen.

I saw Clapton during either the Slowhand or Backless tour. I thought it was a great concert at the time. But I went to see him on the tour for Reptile, and I had the greatest time. Enjoyed every moment of that show. Köln / Cologne, around 20 years ago--cant believe that. The mx was perfect, and Clapton and his band were on fire. He began with a substantial acoustic set and then switched to the Strat and wailed. If you listen to the One More Car, One More rider, you get a sense of the live show at that time.

Doyle Bramhall Jr opened for him and alienated the entire office by trying to hard to be Jimi Hendrix, everything from the clothes to hunching the guitar and all the gestures. The full arena were shouting in German for him to stop playing, chanting over and over. He didn't understand and thought they were encouraging him. I hated his performance, but i didn't join in the chant. Geesh.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I saw Clapton during either the Slowhand or Backless tour. I thought it was a great concert at the time. But I went to see him on the tour for Reptile, and I had the greatest time. Enjoyed every moment of that show. Köln / Cologne, around 20 years ago--cant believe that. The mx was perfect, and Clapton and his band were on fire. He began with a substantial acoustic set and then switched to the Strat and wailed. If you listen to the One More Car, One More rider, you get a sense of the live show at that time.

Doyle Bramhall Jr opened for him and alienated the entire office by trying to hard to be Jimi Hendrix, everything from the clothes to hunching the guitar and all the gestures. The full arena were shouting in German for him to stop playing, chanting over and over. He didn't understand and thought they were encouraging him. I hated his performance, but i didn't join in the chant. Geesh.
    German audiences are like that. If they don't like a performer/performance, they don't hold back. Whistling there (at least when I was there) was NOT a sign of approval, but of dislike. I saw many concerts in Munich, but one of the best -- Santana -- was opened by (and it was so bad I'm surprised I even remember the name) a group named for its singer: Karen Dalton. Holy Shiite, what an awful pairing. The audience hated her so much she quit after three songs!

German audiences are much different from audiences here, for sure. I've played gigs where people let their hair down and enjoyed themselves like I'm used to in America, and then I've encountered the rather stiff and formal German audience. They're both good audiences; they just enjoy things differently. And that's okay. You get used to it, and you learn to work both kinds of audiences.

I saw Tull on the American leg of this tour.

Ian Anderson is a real performer, great musician, and songwriter / composer.

Tull is one of my favorite bands. I listened to them a lot when I was young and still spin their records occasionally.

Having exhausted my interest in binge-watching TV, I decided to see what YouTube might have with Eric Clapton. Surprisingly, I found the 17 February, 2020 Tribute to Ginger Baker concert in its entirety. Lots of Cream songs, guest stars, and yes, at times, Eric's still got it!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Having exhausted my interest in binge-watching TV, I decided to see what YouTube might have with Eric Clapton. Surprisingly, I found the 17 February, 2020 Tribute to Ginger Baker concert in its entirety. Lots of Cream songs, guest stars, and yes, at times, Eric's still got it!

I'll have to see if I can get that to play on my living room TV, it might be tonight's entertainment.

Clapton is great about showcasing other writers and musicians. His covers of JJ Cale songs and act of keeping Cale in the public eye did a lot to keep money rolling in for him. He's very generous about other musicians when he discusses them, and he's modest about his playing in a way that ought to teach us all humility. If that man is humble, what should a player like me be but humble about my skills.

I'm going to watch this too. I guess you can tell that I'm a huge Clapton fan. Even though I'd been a big fan since I was 12, his resurgence in the late 80s was very important to me and my musical development.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Clapton is great about showcasing other writers and musicians. His covers of JJ Cale songs and act of keeping Cale in the public eye did a lot to keep money rolling in for him. He's very generous about other musicians when he discusses them, and he's modest about his playing in a way that ought to teach us all humility. If that man is humble, what should a player like me be but humble about my skills.

I'm going to watch this too. I guess you can tell that I'm a huge Clapton fan. Even though I'd been a big fan since I was 12, his resurgence in the late 80s was very important to me and my musical development.
    I read somewhere not long ago someone deriding Clapton for "playing the same old licks" and proclaiming him over the hill, with lots of other "better" guitar players to listen to.

"Better," maybe. But Clapton never wanted to be a star. He wanted to be a blues guitar player. Eighteen Grammies, the only three-time inductee into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and "21 studio albums, 26 singles, 18
    compilations, 14 live albums and six soundtrack albums as a solo artist and scores of collaborations on records with other artists" (Wikipedia) later, he's probably been the most influential guitar player of the past 50 years. At 75, and still touring, Clapton can afford to be "playing the same old licks." After all, those licks probably inspired more guitar players than either Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughn (both of whom he regarded as "better").

I would argue that his playing style was still changing until maybe recently, but he's still playing hot licks, and I don't think his playing is static. For me Journeyman, 24 Nights, and From the Cradle saw him playing just as well as during the Cream and Derek years, but very differently. His sound evolved too. I love the Soldano years and even after that, when he went back to Twins, he's evolved. He's not resting on his laurels now. 24 Nights is my second fave album of his, Derek the first.

I started listening to Rush before the All the World's a Stage live album. I don't listen to them all the time, but sometimes I enjoy them, especially tracks that radio hasn't played to death.

i dig this song and vid.

I still have a turntable. It's not as nice as my Dual 1219 or my B&O Beogram, but it works when I want to pull out some old vinyl. I bought this in Vienna Austria even though I'd never heard of the band (back then, you could listen on headphones to entire albums, if you wanted, before buying). Some killer blues licks. Front and reverse. Note that the band name differs from front to back!

Climax Blues Band--great stuff that I haven't listened to in decades.

I have an old, original iPod Touch that's been roosting in the console of my dinosaur burner, which hasn't seen much use since I got my little electric (and even less with the lockdown). I brought it in to power up the battery. Wound up connecting it to my stereo and have been playing it on shuffle. Some good and old tunes that I loaded on it lo, those many years ago. Among the stuff that has cropped up...

I love Mehldau's covers.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

America sort of lost interest in Joe Cocker in the 90s and 00s, I think, while Europe still revered him and played his new stuff on the radio and TV.

He was a fine singer to the end. I loved Joe Cocker.

This is a great film, and the guy doesn't hit one bad note. Not one.

had a sudden hankering to hear this album's title song and listening to the whole thing. Dang they were so good. You could tell they were beginning to get cynical and hardened as rock stars but the fire was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    had a sudden hankering to hear this album's title song and listening to the whole thing. Dang they were so good. You could tell they were beginning to get cynical and hardened as rock stars but the fire was still there.

The critics generally say that this is a weak album, but you know what: screw the critics because this album rocks.

I have a love / hate relationship with Skynyrd: I hate the South they often portray (my South is a very different experience and just as "Southern" as theirs). I also am sick to death of Gimme Three Steps and many of the songs that are absolutely played to death by bar bands and on the radio. If I hear Sweet Home Alabama one more time, I'm joining what's left of the Manson family.

Apart from that, I love the band, and I still listen to the albums. Their songwriting skills were formidable. They weren't just dialing it in. Street Survivors--there are some real leaps there in terms of the complexity of the music and vocals.

No matter how burned out I am on their "hits", I am amazed that whenever you play their stuff in bars, folks get all kinds of excited. They do indeed call out for "Freebird" and with no irony.