Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: The Official TFF "what are you listening to?" thread

Re: The Official TFF "what are you listening to?" thread

I love Band of Gypsys at the Fillmore. And I’m not a huge Jimi fan but sure do respect his playing and innovation.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I usually listen to jazz while working out. This album is particularly cool:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Aw...d_Jamal_album)

This guitarist’s playing was an equal to if not a greater influence on the British guitarists of the 60s and 70. We know Chuck Berry, Scotty Moore, Carl Perkins, Eddie Cochran, and Bo Diddly inspired many, but a constant among them is Hank.

Hank Marvin is the man!

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Got some ZZ Top going.
    RIP Dusty.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Lately I've been really into later Deep Purple and Rainbow. It feels like I've just discovered the song (and album) Perfect Strangers. If I'm not mistaken, 1984 would have been around when I started playing regularly again after a 5 year null period. I was into much mellower music at the time, Dire Straits and such. I had been disappointed in Deep Purple's output after Burn and pretty much stopped listening.

Spotify played a Deep Purple medley for me last night. Even the production values of the older stuff still stands up after all these years. I realized something about the studio version of Lazy that I had (probably subconsciously) been emulating about Blackmore's tracking multiple guitars. Calls and responses, one guitar starting a riff and another adding to it. I had done things like this in my experimenting with GarageBand and Logic Pro X. I don't know exactly how I was doing this, but there were some things that I listened to and i was like "That's me? Holy shit, it sounds like I actually know what I'm doing". Then the moment passes like lightning in a bottle
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

this could be a sign of end times, I'm listening to Guns and Roses "Use Your Illusion I" ... and I'm liking it.

I can see why this album was transformative in the era it came out in. This probably would have been my Deep Purple or Alice Cooper, whom I did not know contributed to this album.

I have a much younger brother, who grew up listening to them, I can just hear him say "told you so".

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    this could be a sign of end times, I'm listening to Guns and Roses "Use Your Illusion I" ... and I'm liking it.

I can see why this album was transformative in the era it came out in. This probably would have been my Deep Purple or Alice Cooper, whom I did not know contributed to this album.

I have a much younger brother, who grew up listening to them, I can just hear him say "told you so".
    I went out and bought those albums on release day - I think they were the first I got with my own money at the time of purchase.
    I was a huge GNR fan at the time, and though my opinions on Axl have changed (personality and voice,) those songs still mostly hold up.
    A friend of mine was saying tht they could have condensed the pair into one absolutley kick ass album - to me it's one and a half - there's a few songs that still feel like fillers to me. I haven't listened to them as a whole recently, but the songs do pop up on my running Ipod now and then, I've heard them all over the course of this summer.

I just can't keep this out of my playlist

I'm not sure why I overlooked this when it came out, but maybe it's because there have been so many Hendrix re-issues and re-masters, that I just ignored it. But looking into it, it sounds like it could be quite the listening experience!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Matteo Mancuso and his bandmates continue to blow my mind.

Here's a good example, but there are a lot more on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIWV...=RDMM&index=11

And while most of Matteo's stuff is fusion, he does occasionally like to mimic other players. Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj0BKBWl-W4
    Last edited by BobbyMac; 09-22-2021 at 07:06 AM.
    Born in Fullerton, California in 1952

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I'm not sure why I overlooked this when it came out, but maybe it's because there have been so many Hendrix re-issues and re-masters, that I just ignored it. But looking into it, it sounds like it could be quite the listening experience!

Surely the best live Hendrix stuff I’ve ever listened to

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Surely the best live Hendrix stuff I’ve ever listened to
    I saw Hendrix live at the Baltimore Civic Center on May16, 1969. For me, it would be hard to equal a live concert with a concert recording.

Still, it's all we have left...
    Striving to be ordinary

Pete Townshend's Lifehouse demos, which became the Who's Next album. The instrumental version of "Baba O'Riley" is incredible stuff for 1971:

Townshend's 1983 double-album collection of his demos, Scoop, was my gateway drug into home recording. I have a music store poster advertising it in the room outside my project studio:

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll View Post
    Pete Townshend's Lifehouse demos, which became the Who's Next album. The instrumental version of "Baba O'Riley" is incredible stuff for 1971:

Townshend's 1983 double-album collection of his demos, Scoop, was my gateway drug into home recording. I have a music store poster advertising it in the room outside my project studio:

Pretty cool. I dig the Abbey Road mug

With ticket in hand (actually, an e-ticket on my phone!), I'm primed to see Jim Messina in concert in just over a week. So, I've been working on a personal, solo version of Your Momma Don't Dance. Whenever I hear the word "Telecaster," Jim Messina comes to mind. I love the way he made that guitar sound!

Striving to be ordinary

A friend has been pestering me about giving The Who another try. I never really liked the band, though I don't dislike it either.

Live at Leeds was the first album I picked up to 'study'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    A friend has been pestering me about giving The Who another try. I never really liked the band, though I don't dislike it either.

Live at Leeds was the first album I picked up to 'study'.

From what I know of your tastes, Live at Leeds IZ the best one to begin with. After that, skip ahead to Who's Next.

Tommy is a fantastic album, but I don't think Roger D had really discovered his voice for it until they recorded the soundtrack for the movie. I'd recommend watching that movie with all the glory of a nice set of headphones and keep an open mind about the way the story is told. Then, listen to the soundtrack without the visuals.

John Entwistle's playing is enough to make me listen to anything they recorded.

I don't think I've ever heard a Who tribute band. In fact, I don't recall anyone do covers of Who songs. The closest I ever came was to try my hand at Pinball Wizard (and if I really had an interest in pursuing it, might be the only reason to look at getting a Pete Townshend Strat - with the acoustic/electric gimmickry). I didn't do well with it, and I don't think anyone who heard me particularly cared.

And this, I think, helps explain the Who: They are impossible to imitate or duplicate. I agree with Willie on Entwistle: I consider him and Jack Casady (Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna, etc.) to be the vanguard bass players - who brought the bass to center stage. I recall Townshend saying Entwistle was the Who's "lead guitar."

Keith Moon was an uncontrollable fury on drums. And elsewhere, from what I gather. Duplicating his performance would require equal shots of amphetamine and testosterone, as well as a mindset that was other-worldly. And Townshend? The creative spirit of the group, who could take them into realms previously uncharted (Tommy, Quadrophenia) and still keep their roots (Live at Leeds).

Who could be up to that challenge? (recursive pun not intended) I can understand not caring for them or their sound, but that's a personal taste. But there is no way I can see someone stepping up and trying mimic them.
    Striving to be ordinary

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

There may in fact be a mystique about The Who but there's really nothing very mysterious about their music. Even as far back as 1968 I played in bands that covered some of their early material such as "Can't Explain", "Substitute", and "I Can See For Miles". There's nothing really challenging about those arrangements, just straight up rock and roll. I'd stipulate that their post-Tommy era became somewhat problematic due to the heavy reliance on synths and (later) orchestral scoring but their early songs, especially those on "Live At Leeds" can be covered with relative authenticity.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    There may in fact be a mystique about The Who but there's really nothing very mysterious about their music. Even as far back as 1968 I played in bands that covered some of their early material such as "Can't Explain", "Substitute", and "I Can See For Miles". There's nothing really challenging about those arrangements, just straight up rock and roll. I'd stipulate that their post-Tommy era became somewhat problematic due to the heavy reliance on synths and (later) orchestral scoring but their early songs, especially those on "Live At Leeds" can be covered with relative authenticity.
    Agreed there. The music isn't complicated by any stretch - There's some odd chord voicings some places. The difficulty is replicating John and Keith's parts. Each of them were so far beyond what anyone else at the time was doing (with the possible exception of John Bonham on drums) that it's hard to get that feel, that groove down. You can play the notes, but it's not the same.
    To me, Entwistle was the greatest rock bass player of all time. Jack Bruce and Chris Squire are up there as well, but it's like OS said, John was the lead player.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    To me, Entwistle was the greatest rock bass player of all time. Jack Bruce and Chris Squire are up there as well, but it's like OS said, John was the lead player.
    +1!

To that list I'd add Roger Glover and Jack Cassidy.

What bands/artists do you like best? Either just to listen or to cover.

I'm preparing for another visit with my grandkids, so I'm rehearsing songs they can sing along with. This is a song I've liked since I first heard it in 1969. Arranged by Jim Pepper, a native American jazz musician, the song is reportedly a native American peyote ritual chant. Brewer and Shipley did a marvelous job with the round/counterpoint singing (it didn't hurt that Jerry Garcia played pedal steel on the recording). It's a very simple two chord chant (with a small bridge).

Striving to be ordinary

I thought I was the only Brewer & Shipley fan here......cool! I'd met Tom several times at a guitar shop in KCMO (Quigley's Music Store on Troost). He and Mike had a farm just east of Raytown and held monthly jamfests during the spring and summer months. I was honored to be invited a couple of times. Their first two albums are quite nice with "Rise Up (Easy Rider)" on the debut effort one of my favorites.

I thought I was the only Brewer & Shipley fan here......cool! I'd met Tom several times at a guitar shop in KCMO (Quigley's Music Store on Troost). He and Mike had a farm just east of Raytown and held monthly jamfests during the spring and summer months. I was honored to be invited a couple of times. Their first two albums are quite nice with "Rise Up (Easy Rider)" on the debut effort one of my favorites.

Right back atcha with the "only Brewer & Shipley fan!" LOL!

I am looking at the Brewer & Shipley Songbook I bought in the early 1970s ($3.95). Very little information on the publication other than it's Cimino Publishing. It's got 26 song arrangements, but not Witchi Tai To!

In my handwritten song repertoire book, I have Ruby On The Morning, Oh Mommy, Shake Off the Demon, and Song From Platte River as songs I could turn to when I just wanted some easy, free-wheelin' guitar music.

Striving to be ordinary

16 Tons

I heard a death-cowboy version by Country Bob and The Bloodfarmers when I asked Siri about that old chestnut. I was referencing it to my younger brother who had never heard of the song. It was freaking awesome.

Anyway, i'm listening to the original Merle Travis album tonight and my mind is being blown. Dark as a Dungeon. wow.

Anyone remember Tony Joe White? Perhaps best known for penning the song, "Rainy Night in Georgia," through a strange set of circumstances today, I felt like listening to a song of his I learned to play so many years ago (I've forgotten it, but it wouldn't be hard to pick up again). I love that Strat of his!

Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Anyone remember Tony Joe White? Perhaps best known for penning the song, "Rainy Night in Georgia," through a strange set of circumstances today, I felt like listening to a song of his I learned to play so many years ago (I've forgotten it, but it wouldn't be hard to pick up again). I love that Strat of his!

great tone. I didn’t know him. Will look into his albums

These guys.

Anton Brukner's 1st symphony because it's fun.

NEKTAR--How have I missed out on Nektar all these years? I'm hearing them for the first time, and I'm amazed. I felt the same way when I found out about Hawkwind. Excellent stuff.

I've been having fun building my own playlists on Spotify. I aim for about 40-60 minutes so I can set a sleep timer depending on how tired/late I go to bed. Love listening to tunes as I drift off. So much what I wished I could have done with a stereo back in the day.

I like a mix of stuff, and I bet I'm tying the algorithm at Spotify in knots as they try to figure out WTF am I doing.

Possibly inspired or motivated by the change in season and light, I've been rummaging through my old cassette tapes (remember those?). Lo and behold, I came across one I bought 25 years ago after hearing a program of his work. Arvo Pärt is an Estonian composer Allmusic calls, "One of the most important living composers of concert music." Hearts of Space says, "Part writes music rich with silence against the general turmoil and hubbub of the world. His constant desire is to express the mysterious, the numinous, and the unknowable. 'Time and timelessness are connected' he says. 'This instant and eternity are struggling within us. And this is the cause of all our obstinacy, our narrow mindedness, our faith, and our grief.'"

Subtle, sublime, and perfect for fading out a Sunday evening.

Striving to be ordinary

TFF Stage Crew

This is what I've been listening to. Brilliant stuff:

Much to my surprise, I learned today that Deep Purple has released a new album, Turning to Crime. Released November 26, 2021, this is another of the "pandemic-inspired" compilations put together in a band's studio. Featuring covers of some (IMO) legendary songs like Dixie Chicken, Oh Well, Watching the River Flow, Seven and Seven Is, and others, this is original members Ian Pace, Roger Glover, Ian Gillian from the original DP and assisted by long-time members Steven Morse (guitar) and Donald Airey (keyboards). I'll state outright that I don't think they surpass any of the original songs, but the overall feel is one of bandmates having a good time, and the sound quality is superb!

Striving to be ordinary

TFF Stage Crew

Pretty cool to hear Deep Purple doing Dixie Chicken

This is a great Deep Purple album. You can hear that they were having a blast. Seems so at least.

Taking my not-so-subtle hint, my daughter got me Eric Clapton's The Lady In The Balcony: The Lockdown Sessions CD. It's been a long time since I wrote a music review, and I'm not going to get into a lengthy one now, but here is my impression:

Craftsmen, when they master their craft, don't necessarily become artists. Artists don't always master their art. But when a craftsman becomes an artist, the result can be truly outstanding. At age 76, Clapton has arrived at the place where he, his craft and his art have all reached common ground. When his concert at the Royal Albert Hall was canceled due to the pandemic, he decided to record his band in the intimate setting of Cowdray House, in West Sussex, England. Accompanied by equally complete musicians Nathan East, Chris Stainton and Steve Gadd, the result is 17 tracks of listening pleasure. There is no pretense, only fluid, articulate musicianship, captured live as the four work through a variety of works - some Clapton classics (Layla, Bell Bottom Blues, Tears in Heaven) some traditional (Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out, Key to the Highway, Rock Me Baby), a couple of Peter Green numbers (Black Magic Woman, Man of the World) and some newer works.

Clapton no longer needs to prove anything. He seems to have reached a comfortable place in his career; he's won Grammys, made money, traveled the world, and has cemented his place in history. Therefore, one feels as if one is just sitting with old friends as they effortlessly turn out song after song, seemingly in total sync with each other. Stainton's keyboards add luster when needed, Clapton's fretwork is sublime, East can rumble or purr, and Gadd's light touch (brushes and fingers, mostly) all complement each other.

This is a CD that doesn't demand anything from the listener. But if one listens carefully, the masters' touches are ever-present. I like this CD!

I understand there is a DVD, too. I may just add that to my collection.

Striving to be ordinary

I'm glad EC has out a good album. He's almost bored me to death these last 15 years. I hate his fascination with JJ Cale, whose music puts me to sleep. I'd gladly take another Pilgrim or Reptile or Journeyman or FROM THE CRADLE.

I've been listening to so many things lately, getting heavy into them.

Mingus
    Dean Martin
    Symphony 2 by Anton Bruckner
    Johnny Smith
    Various double Bass concertos
    Beatles Super Deluxe edition of Let It Be
    George Michael-great writer and musician whose image has hurt our perception of him
    Loads of solo Beatles
    Jefferson Airplane

I ranked in the top 10% of Spotify listeners, time-wise, last year. I listen a lot, and i really listen and learn. Right now, I'm soaking up all the classical I can. I want to write a symphony before I die--true.

Yesterday I put on "Black Sabbath" from Black Sabbath's first album and had Spotify build a radio list from that. Some interesting choices came up. I may well have listened to my first Motorhead song ever and it was pretty freaking good. I sat with a guitar and played for about 90 minutes to whatever came on. Good way to get out of the usual riffs and whatnots I tend to devolve into.

I am, once again, revisiting the Dead, by way of Dead & Co.

No matter how many times I listen to Dead songs, I always find something fresh to make me happy.

You all might already know that my favorite Dead period is 72-74 but I am listening to Bobby’s rhythm and John Mayer’s soloing over Althea and man oh man. This is instant joy.