Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official TFF "what are you listening to?" thread

Re: The Official TFF "what are you listening to?" thread

I believe this came from a charity show. I remember Sheryl Crow on it as well--about the time she was dating Clapton or had left him for Dwight Yoakam. I can't remember the context or the other artists, but I remember it was a pretty cool event. There was a CD and probably a DVD or VHS.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

[QUOTE=OldStrummer;644289]Just when you think you've seen (heard) it all, something comes along to surprise you. I know this clip isn't new, but it is to me. Who'd have thought Eric Clapton and Luciano Pavarotti...?

Thanks, OS never saw that before.

Other seemingly odd pairings:

Roy Clark and Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown.

Robert Plant and Allison Krauss.

Around 74 or 75, when I was in 7th grade, I went to a small town school that designated a smoking area for students. Can you believe that?

So when it got cold, my buddy and I would go to my Dad's truck (my brother drove us to school in it). We'd get in and smoke Marlboros while listening to music. I remember this being one of the albums we listened to.

This is the track everyone knows, but the album is a fantastic rock album. "Hard rock," if we still use that term

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

there was a live album by Uriah Heep from '73 that I listened to a lot. Had a live version of 'Easy Living' which was a minor hit for them. It's been an awful long time since I've listened to that, probably 40 years. I might check Spotify later
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Uriah Heep was one of the acts that performed at the 2nd Annual British Rock Meeting, May 20-22, 1972. It was supposed to be kind of a European version of Woodstock. There was one held a year before, in two different cities with the bands switching cities, but this was one location -- and a last-minute one, at that. I went with several of my college friends from Munich (about a four hour drive), having missed Woodstock. For years, I had the sticker on my guitar case! :)

Some of the setlists (including Uriah Heep's)
    here.

Pink Floyd played at midnight, and sent rockets over the crowd. Talk about psychedelic! Humble Pie was the loudest act I've ever heard -- even outdoors, they could be heard across the water (the festival was on an island in Germersheim). Rory Gallagher, The Kinks, Osibisa, Wishbone Ash, and more.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

You got to see some great bands there OS.

I hadn't listened to Uriah Heap, except for hearing "Stealin" occasionally, since the 70s. I was impressed with just how good this stuff is.

[QUOTE=vinyl;644298]
    Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Just when you think you've seen (heard) it all, something comes along to surprise you. I know this clip isn't new, but it is to me. Who'd have thought Eric Clapton and Luciano Pavarotti...?
    Didn't Pavarotti collaborate with Santana? I think it was on the followup to Supernatural. Or was that Placido Domingo?
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

It's sad to read day after day how the plandemic is affecting so many. Restaurants and businesses closing down, or drastically changing their hours or practices. So, it's a bit of a comfort for me to be listening to a weekly "radio" program that I've been tuning in to for thirty years! Music From the Hearts of Space began as a local broadcast in the San Francisco area in 1973, and went national on Public Radio in 1983, with the same producer and host. Today, it's an Internet streaming service. I've been a subscriber for years, and everyone can listen to the Sunday program free.

This week's program is appropriately titled for this forum, "Six-String Universe." This post was inspired by one of our newest members,
    @vanhaye, who made his intro here with a very tasty piece of playing. Some of the artists featured on the program are names some of you may be familiar with: Alex de Grassi, Michael Manring, and Mathew Montfort. This is an hour of what host Stephen Davis quotes John Fahey. "American primitive" guitar. Not all guitar playing is rock, jazz, country or blues...
    Striving to be ordinary

Earlier today I checked out The Caddilac Three's latest album, Tabasco and sweet tea. Very good.Also checked ourlt Joe Bonamassa's Royal Tea but didn't like it much.

I'm not truly a country music fan; these days it's more "pop" music than what it used to be.

However, I have this album by Dwight Yoakum, which has two outstanding tracks on it, in my opinion. This one is is just great songwriting even if it doesn't feature sparkling guitar playing. The other track I love is A Thousand Miles from Nowhere. I'm adding both to my "bedroom soloist" repertoire!

Striving to be ordinary

Oh, heck. This one has some of that great "Tele Twang." I couldn't help but add it!

Striving to be ordinary

Isn't that Pete Anderson on that song and album? He is a Tele master with one of my fave Tele twang tones ever.

I've been listening to a lot of stuff, but lately I've been listening to the posthumous hit by Toots and the Maytals. Such a great song.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Isn't that Pete Anderson on that song and album? He is a Tele master with one of my fave Tele twang tones ever.

I've been listening to a lot of stuff, but lately I've been listening to the posthumous hit by Toots and the Maytals. Such a great song.
    Good ear, @ch_willie! Anderson even produced the album!
    Striving to be ordinary

My music randomizer today chose an album I haven't listened to in ages. A nice change from rock-n-blues, country and jazz, the Mellotron-infused mysticism of The Moody Blues just washed over me as I drove to and from the next town for lunch.

Those of us who were exposed to piano lessons at an early age may remember that "Every Good Boy Deserves Favo[u]r" is the acronym we learned to memorized the lines on the Treble clef.
    Striving to be ordinary

I recently added that and four or five other Moody Blues albums to my Spotify playlist called "great rock". I've been a fan since I was a teen. Hayward and Lodge's Blue Guitar is one of my favorite songs (in a playlist of my "obsessions")

Old Strummer

It's no secret that I'm a Pink Floyd fan, and I know that you love atmospheric music. I was just listening to Gilmour's last full solo album, and I thought of you because I think you'll like some of the tunes, and I think you'll enjoy hearing the simple things Dave does on the guitar but which gain importance to the song's dominant mood.

Old Strummer

It's no secret that I'm a Pink Floyd fan, and I know that you love atmospheric music. I was just listening to Gilmour's last full solo album, and I thought of you because I think you'll like some of the tunes, and I think you'll enjoy hearing the simple things Dave does on the guitar but which gain importance to the song's dominant mood.
    Which album is that, Willie? I heard he'd released a new Live At Pompeii -- 45 years after the original Pink Floyd movie (which was great, btw), but I don't think that's the one to which you are referring.
    Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Which album is that, Willie? I heard he'd released a new Live At Pompeii -- 45 years after the original Pink Floyd movie (which was great, btw), but I don't think that's the one to which you are referring.
    I think it’s called Rattle That Lock. That’s the title of a song too.

I love holiday songs from many cultures, religions, non-secular, etc. I found this one for Hanukkah. Lots of fun, great vocals.

Earlier, in the Sunday thread, I mentioned waking up from a dream where I'd been listening to "Parchman Farm" as recorded by Blue Cheer (listed as "Parchment Farm" on their Vincebus Eruptum album). I don't own that album, but I have three others, so the one I chose to put on the turntable to day was the "New Improved" Blue Cheer 12" album.

Blue Cheer may be best described as "300-watt Marshall stacks and lots of hair." Their early albums weren't as artistic as they were LOUD. Starting as a "power trio," Blue Cheer was one of those bands (MC5 was another) that eschewed intricate musical passages in favor of raw power and sound. Some have credited the band with being one of the originators of the "heavy metal" sound.

Striving to be ordinary

Been listening to a lot of 'The Black Keys' albums. I really like how these guys make authentic fuzzy rock n roll without faking it.

Every year I approach Christmas differently. Some years I'm all in the spirit and others I just can't get up for. This year, I hung a wreath, put lights in the windows, sent out cards early, and did all the things appropriate for the season. But until today, I didn't fire up the CD player and listen to Christmas music (disclaimer: I've been practicing Christmas music on the guitar a lot!). Today, it was time. A couple of my favorites, but not nearly as well-known as some others (like Mannheim Steamroller, etc.):

Striving to be ordinary

what was that heavy metal holiday super group that usually tours (but obviously not this year). It would be a who's who of elite players. Can't remember who it was, maybe that was Mannheim Steamroller?

Mannheim Steamroller "owns" the title of "heavy" Christmas music, in my opinion. But they mixed it up with some very delicate, medieval tunes including penny whistles and the like.

The other that I'm aware of is the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Both have their adherents (side note: I took my daughter to see Mannheim Steamroller in a Christmas concert when she was eight years old. I loved it. She fell asleep! )
    Striving to be ordinary

thank you, TSO was the one I was trying to think of. The lady who cuts my hair is a fan of them and tries to see them every year when they come to NH.

Before there were "shredder" guitar players, there were some who could "turn it up a notch" when the music called for it. Remember, Eric Clapton was known as "Slowhand" at one time.

One of these lightning-fingered guitarists was the largely overlooked, Alvin Lee. Best known for his blistering performance at Woodstock, and the woefully poor (by Alvin's own reckoning) "I'd Love to Change the World" - the only song that gets airplay on "classic rock" stations - Alvin was a fine guitar player and covered a wide variety of musical styles, from jazz to hip-hop. On my walk in the cold, but sunny afternoon weather today, I had my old iPod Touch in my pocket, set to random. Up popped this song from his SAGuitar album.

Striving to be ordinary

The "other side" of my musical life is experiencing the low-key, "ambient" style of music (there is some fabulous guitar work in this genre that I am at complete loss trying to replicate!). When I'm working (I'm in the computer field), I typically have some playing as sort of background music.

There is an ongoing (well, postponed for 2020; you know why) concert series held in Philadelphia, PA., USA every year called "The Gatherings." It started in 2000, and in 2001, a then local-to-me musician named Kit Watkins performed a couple of sets there, which were recorded and put on a new medium known as MP3. I have two MP3 CDs of his sets there. Kit Watkins, like many in this genre, started out as a rock musician. He belonged to the bands Happy The Man and Camel before going solo.

This morning, I was listening to Set 2 of his Gatherings concert. While I have a CD copy, I happily found it available as a free download from the
    Internet Archive!

Striving to be ordinary

I first got into 10cc when I was 13 and heard "Mandy" on the radio. I was the only one in my school who listened to them, and I've never met another fan of the group, never. I've listened to them so much that my ears know the track listing. Often when I hear other performers' songs, I hear bits of 10cc's music.

This is a rocking tune. My fave album of theirs is "How Dare You," but this song is from "Deceptive Bends". Great band, great songwriters, great musicians. Original stuff, unique. They're in my top 10.

I may have mentioned that I have one of the original Apple iPod touch devices, which makes it probably 12-13 years old. Normally, it hides in my "big" car, and so rarely gets played. Recently, I brought it into the house to make sure it was charged, and today I went out for my daily exercise and decided to listen to tunes on it instead of my phone or a newer device. Did I mention I haven't added any new content to it in years...?

Set to random play, it's a delight to hear tunes that have long passed the time of regular airplay. And remember when you had full album-side tracks?

Not the best-ever song done by any of the assembled musicians, in my opinion, but sometimes the sum is greater than the parts:

Striving to be ordinary

Got a deluxe CD 2-disc version of Led Zeppelin I. There's some bass stuff on there I'm trying to cop the tone of. Excellent remaster.

got a similar version of Led Zeppelin III on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Got a deluxe CD 2-disc version of Led Zeppelin I. There's some bass stuff on there I'm trying to cop the tone of. Excellent remaster.

got a similar version of Led Zeppelin III on the way.
    Nice, if you're like me, you forget about them thar nu-fangled thangs, but you can hear JPJ's isolated bass on YouTube. Ought to make it easier to figure out how to dial in some of those sounds.

I’ll finally admit it: I hate going to bars for live music. I might think differently if every boring band was fronted by these two.

Even without listening I'd say they were appropriately named.
    Striving to be ordinary

Forum Member

I’ll finally admit it: I hate going to bars for live music. I might think differently if every boring band was fronted by these two.

Funny, I play in bars all the time but like you, I don't really like going to bars to watch bands. I love live music but I much prefer to watch other people's bands in festivals and motorcycle club clubhouses (I am lucky to be friends with two or three of them, having played guitar for them and getting to know the guys).

Forum Member

Back in the 80's my wife's little sister came back home, and we put a country group together. There was a lot of construction going on at the mines here and in Arizona, so plenty of venues. We played as often as we wanted, and were even told we would be playing at Mikes Bar on New Years. I told him I would get back the next week, he said "no, you guys are playing here". I said OK, but would talk to the rest of the band for price, (figuring maybe $750), he said "I'll give whatever you want". When we finished the night, Mike handed me $1000, I told him it was too much. He made me look in his office, that little bar with 2 registers had been dumping bills on his desk to make room, and they were overflowing to the floor! He said it was the best NY he had in years.
    There is a lot to be said of playing in a band with 3 pretty girls up front who can play, and sing!

Bill, truth is, guys like seeing women sing for bar bands. Easier to get jobs because of it.

I'm revisiting "Os Mutantes", one of the first great 60s Brazilian rock bands. Their guitarist, Sérgio Dias, is a genius. Their 2006 concert in London (already with some different musicians and a different female singer) was really something. This is one of their original hits, sung in English in London, at the Barbican theatre, and Sérgio does some GREAT soloing in an incidental mashup with "While my guitar gently weeps".

This is great stuff. Really enjoyed it.

One of my all-time favorite pieces of guitar work: a blistering-but-tasteful solo by then 19 year-old Craig Chaquico, with some terrific wah pedal work. A name not usually mentioned when the "greats" of that SF scene are brought up (Garcia, Kaukonen - who both played on this album as well), Chaquico went on to become a founding member of Jefferson Starship, and had a successful solo career after.

Striving to be ordinary