Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: The Official TFF "what are you listening to?" thread

Re: The Official TFF "what are you listening to?" thread

I know there are a lot of McCartney fans on this forum. I also know there are a lot of Clapton fans here. I don't know if this has been posted before, but here's a live tribute to George Harrison featuring them both. Gotta love how Paul starts out playing ukulele and transitions to guitar. And the vocal harmony between the two is astounding!

(By the way, can someone identify the Strat Eric is playing?)

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    (By the way, can someone identify the Strat Eric is playing?)
    I believe it’s part of a series of custom-painted Strats that Clapton had commissioned from New York graffiti artist John “Crash” Matos. Here’s the page on its sister guitar from Clapton’s recent Six-String Stories book on the guitars and amps that Clapton has auctioned off to fund his Crossroads rehab facility. Let me know if the text is legible; if not I can photograph both pages separately:

Last edited by Ed Driscoll; 01-09-2022 at 09:39 PM.

I believe you are right, Ed. The guitar Eric is playing appears to be "Crash 1," the first in the series you referenced (the image you posted is Crash 2, I think).

Striving to be ordinary

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I believe you are right, Ed. The guitar Eric is playing appears to be "Crash 1," the first in the series you referenced (the image you posted is Crash 2, I think).

Right -- I embedded this link in the post, but it may not be visible as a URL: https://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/20...hocasters.html

Evidently, Clapton chose not to auction off "Crash 1."

I had thought his wife got him the firstCrash but can’t find proof. Did read it and a buddy of mine also read it. Still, no proof.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I'm a great fan of Elvis Costello and was probably one of the first people in Nashville who knew who he was and listened to him. And Nick Lowe. Love that stuff. Not a big fan of the farfistula organs on his things, but the songs are good enough that I don't really care. My daughter and I saw him in Memphis. Fantastic show. No pretention, just rock and a couple of ballads. High energy 90 minutes and out.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

phantomman reminded me of this great album, and this is one of my favorite tracks. The Stones rock hard here.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I've been on a soft-pop kick of late and today I listened to some England Dan & John Ford Coley, Firefall, and Orleans.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I've been on a soft-pop kick of late and today I listened to some England Dan & John Ford Coley, Firefall, and Orleans.
    Great harmonies, melodies, and musicians.

One After 909 and I've Got a Feeling . Lennon wrote 909 before they hit the fame train. This is an indication of how hard they rocked.

Looks and sounds as fresh as the day it was recorded!

It's amazing what Peter Jackson did to the original film. I'm fairly into the Giles Martin remix of the album. Now Let it Be is in my top 3 Beatles albums.

__________________________________________________ ________________

I've been listening to this because it was in my 3 fave songs of 71. The purchase of it, James Taylor's "You've Got a Friend" and McCartney's "Uncle Albert" were tough on a 9 yr old's budget. Records, books, and guitars are my weaknesses and are still tough on the wallet.

As I usually do when times are tough, I'm listening to a lot of Dead stuff, mostly played by Dead and Company. John really does a special job there, without disrespecting Jerry at all.

Looks and sounds as fresh as the day it was recorded!
    Roger, I was so thrilled by this doc I even wept at some point, and trust me, I'm emotional but I'm not of the weeping kind.

Donavon frankenreiter. Live in studio (Hawaii)

Bass Talk Live podcast.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I've recently uploaded my computer's music library, 7.8 days, just under 80 GB, all ripped Apple lossless, to my iCloud account. Now I can access any of my 210 CDs on my cellphone. My 'radio station' selection has been utterly amazing since. I've got about another 30 plus CDs that are waiting to be ripped, when I find them. There may be even more. I hadn't ripped much of anything since the Superdrive in my oldest Mac mini died quite some time ago.

While I like the UI of Spotify better, I've been managing just fine with my Apple Music player. I may be giving Spotify the heave-ho and save the 9.99 a month
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

TFF Stage Crew

I've been digging DEEP into the Skynyrd vault since watching a documentary on the band. Video of full concerts can be found on YouTube. Ed King was a brilliant guitarist

Out of nowhere, the inspiration to listen to some days-gone-by guitar work by a couple of past masters hit.

Craig Chaquico cut his teeth playing with Jefferson Starship, starting at age 15. Russ Freeman was the guiding force behind the ultra-popular pop-jazz group, The Rippingtons. Together, they cut a single CD together, From The Redwoods to the Rockies. Some very tasty guitar playing...

Striving to be ordinary

TFF Stage Crew

The first of four parts:

the first two Aerosmith albums

almost too much adrenaline for the stopped up traffic we were having. Did everybody decide to leave their house today for the first time in months and forget how to drive?

I've been listening to a CD compilation of big-band tunes from the early/mid '40s which I inherited from my late father (I had given it to him as a Father's Day gift some thirty years ago). The arrangements by Glen Miller, Artie Shaw, Bennie Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, etc are amazing -- rich, harmonious, and quite detailed even given the fact that recording equipment back then was so rudimentary. The thrilling rumble of a horn section that's "in the pocket" is simply incredible and it helps me picture my Dad a young Army aviator battling the Axis forces from his B-25 then unwinding from a mission in some quonset hut with a few cold brews

Hand salute, Dad......you did it right!

Recently discovered a bad ass funky Polish bassist, Kinga Głyk

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Did everybody forget how to drive?
    Fixed it for you.
    and the answer is yes.
    I've been convinced for a while that if there's a type of weather we haven't seen in a while, people forget how to drive in it. Rain after a dry spell. First snow of the season. Dry roads after a rainy streak. Warm weather after cold. You get the picture.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    Recently discovered a bad ass funky Polish bassist, Kinga Głyk

That was a blast

Live at Leeds - "My Generation"

listening to 461 Ocean Boulevard for the first time in a long time. Now I remember why I used to listen to this all the time. The only thing is I prefer Bob Marley's "I shot the Sheriff".

I forgot how good this album was. There may be a song or two from there I can play passably. Bringing it back into rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    listening to 461 Ocean Boulevard for the first time in a long time. Now I remember why I used to listen to this all the time. The only thing is I prefer Bob Marley's "I shot the Sheriff".

I forgot how good this album was. There may be a song or two from there I can play passably. Bringing it back into rotation.

One of the driving factors leading me to buy my new 12-string was "Let It Rain." I know the song is really an overdub and not a true 12-string tune, but in my head it's the perfect fit.
    Striving to be ordinary

I've been listening to Bernie Marsden, Billy Gibbons, Warren Haynes and Levon Helm.

I've been listening to a CD compilation of big-band tunes from the early/mid '40s which I inherited from my late father (I had given it to him as a Father's Day gift some thirty years ago). The arrangements by Glen Miller, Artie Shaw, Bennie Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, etc are amazing -- rich, harmonious, and quite detailed even given the fact that recording equipment back then was so rudimentary. The thrilling rumble of a horn section that's "in the pocket" is simply incredible and it helps me picture my Dad a young Army aviator battling the Axis forces from his B-25 then unwinding from a mission in some quonset hut with a few cold brews

Excellent post. Your father was the man, a hero.

I love music from that era and before. I inherited a great collection of 78 rpms from someone who bought them during the day. Heavy discs, they still play well. Skips are rare, and the crackles are minimal.

Finding all of the different live versions of my favorite Rory song:

Otherwise I've been searching up any obscure New Wave of British Heavy Metal gems that I can find from '78-'83.

Great music and great story. My grandfather (dad's step-dad) flew several positions in B-25s in the Pacific. I'll join you in a toast to all of them!

Thanks, Cossack! My Dad flew with the 490th Bomb Squadron in Burma -- one of the forgotten theaters of WWII. He was an armorer-gunner, responsible for cleaning, maintaining, and loading all of his ship's guns (about fourteen of them) plus loading and fusing the bombs.

Thanks, Cossack! My Dad flew with the 490th Bomb Squadron in Burma -- one of the forgotten theaters of WWII. He was an armorer-gunner, responsible for cleaning, maintaining, and loading all of his ship's guns (about fourteen of them) plus loading and fusing the bombs.
    Well, I don't want to hijack a thread about music with family war stories, but I'll make one more comment to say my Grandfather was not far away in the CBI theater. I don't know if he was ever in Burma, but it's possible since he was in China for much of the war and also in India. I've always found Burma in WWII to be one of the most interesting areas to study. We lost my Great-Grandfather on my Mom's side in the fighting around Myitkyina with Merrill's Marauder's. He was a liaison with the Chinese troops there, who were our allies.

It was quite a time, both horrifying and heroic, and one worth remembering. It's great that we have the music from then to give us one more connection to the time and to the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack View Post
    Well, I don't want to hijack a thread about music with family war stories, but I'll make one more comment to say my Grandfather was not far away in the CBI theater. I don't know if he was ever in Burma, but it's possible since he was in China for much of the war and also in India. I've always found Burma in WWII to be one of the most interesting areas to study. We lost my Great-Grandfather on my Mom's side in the fighting around Myitkyina with Merrill's Marauder's. He was a liaison with the Chinese troops there, who were our allies.

It was quite a time, both horrifying and heroic, and one worth remembering. It's great that we have the music from then to give us one more connection to the time and to the people.
    There's a bridge a few miles from my house dedicated to Merrill's Marauders. The commander, Frank Merrill, became New Hampshire's Commissioner of Highways after he retired from the Army.

Great music and great story. My grandfather (dad's step-dad) flew several positions in B-25s in the Pacific. I'll join you in a toast to all of them!
    Well, I guess I can join you in military-related family pride. My great-uncle, who was my father's best friend, was a Field Artillery officer in the Brazilian Army during WWII. He was trained in Fort Sill, Oklahoma.

Btw I really like Rory Gallagher too, Cossack!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcane View Post
    Well, I guess I can join you in military-related family pride. My great-uncle, who was my father's best friend, was a Field Artillery officer in the Brazilian Army during WWII. He was trained in Fort Sill, Oklahoma.

Btw I really like Rory Gallagher too, Cossack!
    Rory's my favorite. Here's the third of the three live versions of the song I've been able to find. It's really fun (at least I think so) to compare his fills and solos from each performance. No two are the same:

I think a lot people in the US and Europe forget about Brazil's allied contribution in WWII. There's an article about the Brazilian Expeditionary force in Italy in the most recent American Rifleman magazine.

Rory's my favorite. Here's the third of the three live versions of the song I've been able to find. It's really fun (at least I think so) to compare his fills and solos from each performance. No two are the same:

I think a lot people in the US and Europe forget about Brazil's allied contribution in WWII. There's an article about the Brazilian Expeditionary force in Italy in the most recent American Rifleman magazine.

Yes, and also, the largest American air base outside of the US territory was set in Brazil (Natal, RN).

How about this one, Old Stummer:

Just heard Bridge of Sighs, and it was so fantastic. I'd forgotten how good it was.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    How about this one, Old Stummer:

Just heard Bridge of Sighs, and it was so fantastic. I'd forgotten how good it was.
    👍

Just for grins & giggles...

Striving to be ordinary