Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official TFF "what are you listening to?" thread

The Official TFF "what are you listening to?" thread

Having known two great bands recommended by Melody and Dirtdog, I thought I'd open a thread just for sharing the music we're currently into listening.

To keep things interesting, let's play it as a game. Everytime you listen to something that really pleases you, be it old or new, share it here! Don't let the thread sink!

The last band I had on my car stereo was The Black Keys:

Re: The Official TFF "what are you listening to?" thread

Mingo Fishtrap

Some obscure band's rock ballad, but I'm pretty sure if you strip it back it's Pachelbel's Cannon in D, as are most of them.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

The Magpie Salute "Omission". Cool song! I'm going to get the album.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    The Magpie Salute "Omission". Cool song! I'm going to get the album.
    Is that Rich Robinson of Black Crowe's new band?

Quote Originally Posted by Ayns View Post
    Yep. And Marc Ford and more. They sound good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg9FGe5pWFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdCAGlj_jR0

The second video is what's drawing me to these guys. I was influenced by Clapton to pick the guitar back up in the late '70s, not because of Cream or any early lead guitar solo prowess, but mostly because of Delaney & Bonnie & Friends. I wanted to play music like that.
    Last edited by Don; 05-31-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Well, due to another thread, I'm listening right now to Blackberry Smoke on YouTube.

I listen a lot to BBC radio 2 and radio 6, and to classical music (lately Dvorak and Mozart) and rock from the 50s-70s. I really like Todd Rundgren's newest album. And of course, the 50th anniversary edition of Sgt. Pepper. It's my favorite album of all time. Getting ready to listen to it in the middle of my living room. I've not yet put on the sessions, but today, if I can find time, I'm going to listen to the surround mix. Y'all know I'm a Beatles freak, but their music speaks to me. Yeah, I'm stuck in the 60s and 70s.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I listen a lot to BBC radio 2 and radio 6, and to classical music (lately Dvorak and Mozart) and rock from the 50s-70s. I really like Todd Rundgren's newest album. And of course, the 50th anniversary edition of Sgt. Pepper. It's my favorite album of all time. Getting ready to listen to it in the middle of my living room. I've not yet put on the sessions, but today, if I can find time, I'm going to listen to the surround mix. Y'all know I'm a Beatles freak, but their music speaks to me. Yeah, I'm stuck in the 60s and 70s.
    Nothing wrong with being stuck in the 60s and 70s, if you ask me. At my part-time job (retail), when I'm in charge, I let Spotify churn out a whole set full of throwback stuff. It makes the hours on the floor a whole lot nicer!

Went back and am listening to The Foo Fighters catalog, I've always loved their style of Power Pop Rock (or whatever you want to call it). I've always been a huge Dave Grohl fan, I like his music, singing and guitar work. Not a "guitar hero" but is one of my guitar heroes.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Warren's silde,Woody on bass, Greg's vocal's oh my what a great tune from a great CD...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_1hbSWTqlw

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Nothing wrong with being stuck in the 60s and 70s, if you ask me. At my part-time job (retail), when I'm in charge, I let Spotify churn out a whole set full of throwback stuff. It makes the hours on the floor a whole lot nicer!
    That it does. I'm really digging mid- to late-fifties rock and roll and early sixties R&B.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Since I've been working with Charlie Karp I've started listening to a couple albums he did. His "Charlie Karp and the Namedroppers" has some nice tunes on it (he was so excited to tell me that Felix Cavaliere sang backup on one of the tunes) and his work with Danny Kortchmar (Slo Leak) is a bit eclectic, but damn fine guitar playing.

I was really flattered last week when he told me he'd like to write some tunes together...
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

What somebody posted on the other site. I almost wonder if it was one I was at...

<span style="color:#00ff00;"><font size="3"><span style="font-family:comic sans ms;">

Quote Originally Posted by Ayns View Post
    I had to look that up, but it would appear to be so! I'm gonna have to check that out....

Today I played a hell of a lot of blues rhythm for a jam I'm gonna play tomorrow.

Listened a lot to Billy Gibbons' jam on "live from Daryl's house". Definitely worth seeing/listening

Speaking of modern good stuff, I just came across these guys, never heard of them before

Btw they do a great job with those SGs

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Some obscure band's rock ballad, but I'm pretty sure if you strip it back it's Pachelbel's Cannon in D, as are most of them.
    or Janacek's Symphonietta

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Right now I am going CRAZY with this. Actually it's not by the 70s real band Stillwater, these songs were written by Peter Frampton and Nancy Wilson for the fictional homonimous band that appears in Almost Famous.

Man, this song rocks. I listened to it on youtube, then picked up the strat and cranked up the amp, threw the opening riff (did it by ear, just let the music flow from the guitar and the distortion do the rest), man, I was in another dimension...
    Last edited by S. Cane; 10-09-2017 at 06:07 AM.

For whatever reason, I'm listening/watching a lot of Metallica on youtube. This one in particular has my attention right now. Fly on the wall video from the recording of Hardwired....To Self Destruct. Kind of difficult to watch given all the jumping around in time, but the song writing process is really interesting. I can sit through about 20 minutes at a time... I've laid down a bunch of riffs that were inspired by this video.

Funny thing is I've never been much of a Metallica fan and never been a metal guy despite coming of age in the '80s. I guess there's just something compelling about a bunch of guys in their 50s laying down heavy stuff like this.

Well, you caught me. I'm listening to Robin Trower again! Stuff from his "Something's About to Change" album.

I'm packing for a business trip. Not wanting to switch on the TV, I opened my music chest and grabbed a cassette (yes, I have cassettes -- and a B&O system that has a cassette player!) and popped it in. Acoustic Alchemy's Red Dust and Spanish Lace, from 1987.

Forum Member

I found these guys on a sidebar a while back whilst listening to somebody else's favorites. I love their sound.

Right now I'm revisiting Blondie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Right now I'm revisiting Blondie.
    Funny you should mention that. There's a commercial for Swiffer cleaning products that uses Blondie's "One Way Or Another". I actually like that song and a couple others, I even looked up the lyrics and listened to a youtube of the song on my phone. Got me thinking about tunes from those days.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Funny you should mention that. There's a commercial for Swiffer cleaning products that uses Blondie's "One Way Or Another". I actually like that song and a couple others, I even looked up the lyrics and listened to a youtube of the song on my phone. Got me thinking about tunes from those days.
    I don't believe in coincidences or anything, my friend. TFF is indeed a magical place! And synergy happens here

Lots of ELO, anything by Diana Krall

I've tried to listen to the Black Keys but can't get past the drumming. It's - not-so-good.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Lots of ELO, anything by Diana Krall

I've tried to listen to the Black Keys but can't get past the drumming. It's - not-so-good.
    I like them, they make some good straight forward rock, everything pretty simple, and that suits my style of playing.

Edit: btw I woke up in a more country/blues mood, so just downloaded this from iTunes:

Last edited by S. Cane; 11-05-2017 at 07:15 AM.

I'm unable to link any youtube videos/ songs directly into my posts. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I am happy to report that I have not turned on the TV set once this entire weekend! Rather, I've been pulling out random (I mean that literally - I avert my eyes and pull one from my collection) CDs and playing them while I read. Right now, I have Flesh & Bone's (Peter Kater, Chris White, Glen Velez, Bobby Read, David Darling) "Skeleton Woman" spinning.

One of the things that listening to a multitude of genres, styles and instruments has re-taught me is that I can only play the music that's within me. I will never be a Jeff Beck or a Jeff Pearce. I can only be myself.

I'm going to unwrap one of my combo amps, plug in a guitar and start experimenting again. That's what's been missing since I moved to my new home.

new albums by Julien Baker, Kaleida, Big KRIT and Jessie Ware are hype.

I've been tiptoeing through my cassette (remember them?) collection. I just got finished listening to Bob James' "Grand Piano Canyon," the forerunner and inspiration for the jazz supergroup, Fourplay.

Just stumbled onto these guys. They just recently did a KEXP show. I follow that channel on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter View Post
    never heard of this. I like it!

I have a new Robin Trower favorite, "Sea of Love."

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    never heard of this. I like it!
    Really glad you enjoyed it! I hope that everyone checks it out. It's quite a groovy little track and I'd love to hear what others think about it! I've been listening to everything posted in this thread and I have to say that I like it all for one reason or another... the making of hardwired included ( of course, I was a bit of a metal-head back in the day lol).

Okay... Not sure how this will go over lol but I hope that anyone that hasn't checked out these guys will do so now... some super sweet brass funk!

[QUOTE=HighPlainsDrifter;630511]Really glad you enjoyed it! I hope that everyone checks it out. It's quite a groovy little track and I'd love to hear what others think about it! I've been listening to everything posted in this thread and I have to say that I like it all for one reason or another... the making of hardwired included ( of course, I was a bit of a metal-head back in the day lol).

Okay... Not sure how this will go over lol but I hope that anyone that hasn't checked out these guys will do so now... some super sweet brass funk!

That's pretty awesome. NPR tiny desk is one of my favourite channels, alongside KEXP and Premier Guitar's Rig Rundown.

I've been grooving to these guys as well:

warning - a bit NSFW lyrical content