Thread: Classic 70s strat tone...

Classic 70s strat tone...

I love to dial in my own tones, and while watching some Deep Purple concerts I began to really like what I did in some of my gigs.

Too bad this one wasn't recorded on the board, the videos that people did with their cell phones are pretty noisy and of low fi, of course, but still, this little side-by-side amused me a lot, my strat was really cool sounding that night:

It really ain't the same thing when I play this song with a Gibson.

Re: Classic 70s strat tone...

Wait... Which was you and which was Deep Purple??

Nice! As a habitual tone-chaser, it always feels great to get it dialed in where you ( and others) think that it sounds right. I always enjoy listening to you jam. Thanks for posting.

Nicely done!

Noice. SOTW was big when I got my second bite by the guitar bug. The first was the Beatles in '64 but I was denied by my parents. Deep Purple (and Alice Cooper) rekindled that itch and I wanted a guitar with those three things on it like that long haired guy had. Problem was nobody was selling one for 100 dollars which was a king's ransom in my mind and as much as any used guitar was worth

I've wanted that tone for the longest time. when I finally got my first brand new strat in '74, I was so disappointed that my Princeton Reverb that I bought new the year before couldn't give me that sound. I bought distortion boxes and nope, still didn't get it. What killed me was I would go into music stores and plug strats into marshalls and dang it, no SOTW tone. WTF? What was I doing wrong?

One day I ventured into a new store and asked if it was ok if I plugged in to a marshall stack they had. I had my new '89 LP with me. I plugged in and barely cracked the volume on the amp so I wouldn't embarrass myself or bother anybody else in the store.

"Naw, man, you got to crank it if you want it to sound good."

"Huh? What do you mean? I don't want to bother anybody."

"Dude, it's rock and roll, it's supposed to be loud. You barely have the tubes working, they need to get some juice flowing through them to sound right. Turn it up and don't worry about how you play. You have to know how to play the amp, too. It's part of the sound equation."

I still sucked playing but the sound was much closer to what I wanted. That was an eye-opener for me. Too bad for my neighbors but it also forced me to concentrate more on my playing so that what I did broadcast out to the neighborhood wasn't just aimless wankery. Now it is directed wankery

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    "Dude, it's rock and roll, it's supposed to be loud. You barely have the tubes working, they need to get some juice flowing through them to sound right. Turn it up and don't worry about how you play. You have to know how to play the amp, too. It's part of the sound equation."

I have to say that this was a revelation for me, too. And not that long ago, either. There I was just noodling about on my Strat and Fender modeling amp when I thought, "What the hey? Let me just crank it up a bit." Zounds! What a different world. Most of the time I keep it under wraps, but now that I've moved into my new house, I might just get that urge again. Watch out, neighbors!

Hehehe tube amps are like that, they won't give you what you want unless you feed them VOLUME.