Thread: Help me ID this pickup

Help me ID this pickup

This pickup was installed in my 1964 Epiphone Olympic when I bought it. The seller told me who he thought the maker was though I have my doubts. It's now installed in my USACG Blackguard style guitar and sounds great.

Judging by these two pics, do you have any idea who the maker is?

Re: Help me ID this pickup

What's the DC ohms? Nothing really stands out to me construction wise as to point to a particular builder.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

6.9K.

I don't know if you can tell in the pic, but the fiber bobbin material is bulged a little where the magnets push through and it flairs a little- the top is bowed up a little towards the ends.

Last edited by Don; 05-06-2017 at 12:49 PM.

Most of them do that, it's from the pressure of the wire on the underside of the bobbin. Also, the other bulging is from not chamfering the magnets. All standard stuff for a "vintage correct" pup.

There's usually markings on the baseplate from the manufacturer. So I'd guess it might be a real Fender RI? I forgot what you told me it was supposedly, but do remember you said it sounds great. And as you know, I'm of the camp of "if it sounds good, then it is good". BTW, 7k seems to be the perfect middle ground of "twang" and "balls", especially if it's A5 mags.

It sounds great. It's about the same output as the Fralin Blues Special that I had in the guitar but is a tad brighter and more articulate. The seller believed that it had A3 mags.

Don,

looks like it might be a Duncan Antiquity.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Dude, I just noticed that you're using flat head screws!!! I LOVE the way they look on a Tele!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Dude, I just noticed that you're using flat head screws!!! I LOVE the way they look on a Tele!
    Oh man... x2/ x2. Good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Good eye Chuck. I think I got most of the screws from Angela. I originally wired it like an original Broadcaster too. I liked it but later wired it like a '50s Gibson per Fezz's diagram. This is an awesome guitar! 6-1/2 pounds of Tele goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Don,

looks like it might be a Duncan Antiquity.
    Possibly, though the more I look around, the more I think it might be a regular Fender '52 reissue pickup. Regardless, it sounds great!

I bought a set off Reverb, specifically for Snakehead Teles. That way I didn't have to trim down the neck screws as the body is only 1.5".

I too stick with a "modern" type wiring, but it's my own little tweak that I came up with. Nothing crazy, I feed the tone pot from the input of the volume and run the cap on lug 1 to the back of that pot. I've tried others but this works best for me