Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A 2017 HP SG with a few modifications...

Re: A 2017 HP SG with a few modifications...

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    That was my recently purchased 1983 DC150. I cleaned out some duplicate pics and deleted the wrong ones!

Fixed it!

http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...ghlight=carvin
    Thanks for posting, Don. I thought that '08 looked familiar... LP Forum? Those are simply beautiful guitars. Love the ebony boards, 24 frets and M-22 pups. Those guitars look very versatile with the phase/ split switching. I've never played one before but I'd guess that they sound pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

There's another one that just fills me with awe: Little Feat. The combination of Kenny Gradney (bass) and the late Richie Hayward (drums) is/was the anchor that held that jam band together for over 40 years. Hayward's drum tech, Gabe Ford (guitarist Robben Ford's nephew) has taken over the sticks and has been more than capable in that regard.
    I may just have to give Little Feat another listen. I never really got into them much but it was only because there were so many other bands that held my interest back in the day. Who knows? I might discover that I missed out on a great band. Glad you mentioned them.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    In my last band, we worked up "Thank You." Dusty's work is so basic, and yet it grooves. Our bassist decided he didn't want to play the song because the bass was "boring". I argued that it grooved and that when played tightly with the drums, there was nothing boring about it. I lost that argument. I've heard the same said about Bill Wyman's playing, but again, it grooves, and it, with Charlie's tight playing, allowed Keef, Brian, Mick T, and then Ron more freedom. There's nothing "simple" about that kind of playing, and it takes talent to tap into that.
    I think where people miss the intricacies of this type of playing is that on the surface it seems simplistic. Yes, there's not a lot of notes being played. But they're all the RIGHT notes, and they're played with perfectly executed precision. THAT is what a well written part is! It's not 6 million notes getting from point A to B. Not that there's anything wrong with a flurry of activity, but that's a completely different style!

Sounds like you maybe handled that situation better than I would have!!! LOL I taught "Mexican Blackbird" to the guitar player in one of my bands... And let's just say that I wasn't very diplomatic in my instruction... But, like we've been talking about, it's the notes you DON'T play that makes the song. We did however get it together, and that song went over GREAT the next time we played it. Probably helped that we were in a dive cowboy bar. Coors Light and Jack Daniels!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Sorry to have derailed the thread.... But "Mexican Blackbird" is a perfect example of how it's done!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    I think where people miss the intricacies of this type of playing is that on the surface it seems simplistic. Yes, there's not a lot of notes being played. But they're all the RIGHT notes, and they're played with perfectly executed precision. THAT is what a well written part is! It's not 6 million notes getting from point A to B. Not that there's anything wrong with a flurry of activity, but that's a completely different style!

Sounds like you maybe handled that situation better than I would have!!! LOL I taught "Mexican Blackbird" to the guitar player in one of my bands... And let's just say that I wasn't very diplomatic in my instruction... But, like we've been talking about, it's the notes you DON'T play that makes the song. We did however get it together, and that song went over GREAT the next time we played it. Probably helped that we were in a dive cowboy bar. Coors Light and Jack Daniels!
    I feel the same way about a lot of songs.. Asleep In The Desert, Watermelon In Easter Hay ( before the leads lol), Shine On You Crazy Diamond, and many of Carlos Santana's songs.. Europa, Moonflower, etc..

Sorry to have derailed the thread.... But "Mexican Blackbird" is a perfect example of how it's done!
    Not at all. I've always favored roads that take you through several different towns along the way haha. How easily one topic turns to another.

Exactly why I like the "looseness" of this forum. Thanks, HPD!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Exactly why I like the "looseness" of this forum. Thanks, HPD!
    Always, Willie! Agreed.

I'm usually always the one getting off track... LOL Kinda can't help it, we start talking gear and it sparks a memory. But, I enjoy reading about others' experiences since the gear is just part of the equation. I've learned a lot from everyone on here and had some good laughs

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    I'm usually always the one getting off track... LOL Kinda can't help it, we start talking gear and it sparks a memory. But, I enjoy reading about others' experiences since the gear is just part of the equation. I've learned a lot from everyone on here and had some good laughs
    It happens quite a bit on the Jeep forum that I moderate. Understandable when you have different minds thinking about different things lol. We're very lax about it as long as it's not in one of the tech sub-forums. Some people are fairly OCD about hijacks/ derailments but there's really no need to be unless it involves trolling, bullying, etc. I know that this forum isn't particularly busy but I genuinely dig the vibe here and you guys are very cool and interesting. I'm still learning about so many things and I'm glad to be part of it all as well.

I feel the same way, and why I like this place so much. People post, we talk like human beings, go off on tangents, and then end up learning cool stuff.

Forum Member

Really nice work! Huge difference! Enjoyed the entire thread! A good read! And a future reference! Thanks for sharing all!