Thread: 1st fret problem

Forum Member

1st fret problem

hi,i struggle with the f chord with the index finger,both e strings[especially the high]on my tele.I have 4 other guitars-sg,330,sheraton,12 fret no name, that are a breeze to play. I asked my friend who sets lots of guitars up etc and he said to just play the bloody thing haha,now,i can totally see/respect his opinion but its doin my head in[the tele,not him], i try more pressure,less pressure,roll index,thumb adjust,wrist angle,tight against fret,in the middle-5/10 the e string dont play right,back to other guitars-piss easy f! Gotta be the nut or something right?

Re: 1st fret problem

You said frets 5-10 the E string is sitting on the fret? Then you need more relief. Try setting up your Tele to Fender specs, and see if that helps

Also, is the fretboard 7.25 or 9.5" radius on the Tele? You didn't specify, but you're comparing it to Gibson 12" fretboards. Seems like you're used to those.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Hi,the radius is 7.25" c shape, the strings if anything are too high on first fret,like i have to press down too hard or something,just on fret 1-the rest of the guitar plays easy,cheers

Well, from reading your first post, it sounds like you need to setup the guitar. From what you've said, the strings are too high at the first fret, and low in the middle of the neck? No mention of up higher.

Again, I'd recommend you setup your guitar to Fender specs. If anything, the 7.25" radius neck should be EASIER to play chords on than your other guitars. Leo went with that radius as it's the natural curve of our fingers.

Try this experiment: Relax. Put your arms down with your hands by your side. Relax some more. Freeze your hands as they naturally hang. Freeze your hands as they are. Now examine what your hands look like. Your fingers naturally curve in a rested state, and it's close to 7.25" radius

Forum Member

just re-read my first post,it's a bit hard to follow in bits-guess i was in a rush,when i said in the middle,i meant in the middle of 1st fret as oppesed to tight up to saddle,just giving e.g.s of what i've tried[wrist adjust,thumb posistion]etc,the 5/10 meant 5 times outta 10[not frets 5-10],sorry for the confusion and ta for ya reply mate

No worries buddy. Still, sounds like a setup issue. It shouldn't be THAT hard to play, or so different from your other guitars that you're spending this much time and effort playing it

What happens when you move the F chord up to the 3rd fret? Do you still have the same problem?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

sounds like the nut needs to be reslotted, which is part of a good setup. I can do truss rod adjustments, saddle adjustments, shim the neck when the saddle adjustment won't do the trick (obviously on bolt neck guitars, not set necks or acoustics). I can radius the saddles as well to match the fingerboard. Filing the nut ... don't have the files and don't do it enough to justify buying them. That's pretty much a one time deal until you've leveled and crowned your frets a time or three. Which I've never had done to a guitar since I've never owned one long enough to need a fret job. If I were going to be doing set ups on new builds or taking in repairs for paying customers then I would spend the money on the files.

There are some neck makers who won't even put a nut on for you because they insist it should be done when the guitar is built and set up for the first time. Or they will install the nut unslotted. That's how important they consider the setup to be.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    What happens when you move the F chord up to the 3rd fret? Do you still have the same problem?
    no,easy as anything,just the f,cheers