Thread: What happened to Stratocaster Prices?

What happened to Stratocaster Prices?

Holy crap. I finally got one guitar too many and I'm tripping over them so I decided to put a really, really nice USA Strat on Craigslist. Nobody will touch them now for anything over $500. WTF?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Re: What happened to Stratocaster Prices?

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Holy crap. I finally got one guitar too many and I'm tripping over them so I decided to put a really, really nice USA Strat on Craigslist. Nobody will touch them now for anything over $500. WTF?
    I wish that would happen to USA Jazz Basses...... (at least while I am looking for THAT one)
    everynow and then one show up - but not often.

I sell a little on CL, and find it to be a lot like fly fishing. All in the timing of the cast, and landing it in front of the right fish.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    They're more highly valued on other online places such as ebay.

CL is a total dice roll. Patience is the key and refresh your listing every 48 hours but don't be that guy who just re-list without deleting the previous. There's a pink strat on NH CL that's been there for months. I just checked he has 17 ads going back a month and a half.

BTW - some guy had a New Monsters of Rock "limited edition" for 100,000 dollars.

yeaaaahh, I'm going to pass on that great deal, mm'kay?

I'm leery of buying on Craigslist. Maybe if there was a drop-dead-can't-live-without-it item (not just guitars) I might consider it. But most of the ads I see have poor quality pics and lackluster descriptions.

On the other hand, I've had terrific success/luck buying on Reverb. What I look at there seems to be offered by knowledgeable people. I bought my Custom Shop Robin Trower Strat from a seller, who was willing to negotiate, and we both were happy with the deal!

I've got my Blizzie Strat on CL, Facebook, and Reverb. Patience is key for a lefty like me.

I've sold most guitars to international buyers. It takes a while, but they have to pay so much for an American Strat at home that a good used Strat between 500-700 is a bargain.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I think there are just too many out there. It's kind of the universal standard electric guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I've got my Blizzie Strat on CL, Facebook, and Reverb. Patience is key for a lefty like me.

I've sold most guitars to international buyers. It takes a while, but they have to pay so much for an American Strat at home that a good used Strat between 500-700 is a bargain.

Tell me about it. That's why I own and play ordinary models, they cost premium prices here.

CL SUCKS!!! It's nothing more than a glorified want ads. I refuse to even look at stuff for sale. Seems like a bunch of idiots who either want WAY too much for BS gear, or can't take decent pictures or explain what they have.

I've been buying off of Reverb. Seems to me like what eBay SHOULD be. Just wait it out man, no need to get boned over a nice guitar
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Very hard to sell on CL! Everybody wants everything for free. On the other hand, I love buying on CL. Good stuff cheap. Seems like I'm part of the problem...

Better of selling on Reverb though, as a buyer, the prices are inflated.

Yeah, it's all YOUR fault, Don. You're one of THEM. Expect stuff for cheap but when it comes time to sell, suddenly it's 'rare, one of a kind, worth its weight in gold' types

Well, some dude drove in form out of town and paid me six and a half.

Last year I got good money off of Craigslist for a car. I guess it still works.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I definitely agree with the consensus about CL as well as Reverb. I genuinely trust Reverb in every regard and I like that you can get a good idea of what gear is actually worth before buying/ selling but it seems that the market is just saturated with certain models. So many brand-new Strat clones and variations out there which doesn't help if you're trying to get a decent price. Definitely a buyers market these days.

Maybe irrelevant to the discussion but:

Couple years ago I purchased a gorgeous custom Redwood enclosed Marshall MG100DFX 2x12 half-stack on Reverb. It hadn't been adequately packaged, causing one of the Vintage 30s to break free and just demolish the cab from the inside out. Shipper had clearly stated their return policy but for whatever reason decided that they didn't want to refund the full amount paid + return shipping. I opened up a dispute through Reverb and had it settled in my favor. Took a couple weeks but I was reimbursed in full. Had I bought this amp/cab through Craigslist, there's no doubt that it would have not gone so well. Apologies to OP for the off-topic content but I just wanted to share.

I just sold an amp on Reverb probably made it too good a deal with free shipping and it sold faster than I expected. Turns out I asked the same for the amp as I paid and the shipping was almost exactly the same. Did I lose money on the deal? Depends. I didn't have to put up with tire kickers and lowballers and I had money in hand (well, in paypay) less than a week after placing the ad. It wasn't meant to be an investment, it was going to be a surprise gift if the intended recipient were to actually show real interest in playing. 4 years later it might as well go to someone who will play it. I hope they enjoy the amp, I liked it when I had one years ago and that was why I sought it out. A beginner player could cover a lot of ground with it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I just sold an amp on Reverb probably made it too good a deal with free shipping and it sold faster than I expected. Turns out I asked the same for the amp as I paid and the shipping was almost exactly the same. Did I lose money on the deal? Depends. I didn't have to put up with tire kickers and lowballers and I had money in hand (well, in paypay) less than a week after placing the ad. It wasn't meant to be an investment, it was going to be a surprise gift if the intended recipient were to actually show real interest in playing. 4 years later it might as well go to someone who will play it. I hope they enjoy the amp, I liked it when I had one years ago and that was why I sought it out. A beginner player could cover a lot of ground with it.
    Yeah but the ebay fees are ridiculous.
    Last edited by Felton; 10-25-2021 at 01:00 PM.