Thread: Maple Ric 4001

Maple Ric 4001

I've always had certain prejudices about the wood that goes into a guitar or bass. Maple neck? Wonderful. Maple body? Mmmmm

Then it hit me that my Ric is maple. I've had it since 1978 and because I wasn't into all that when I started out, I hadn't thought about the wood.

So maple--is it a good guitar wood too? Are there any normal run maple bodied guitars among the major manufacturers?

BTW, when I put in pups a few years ago, it was the first time I'd ever pulled off the pickguard. This is what I found:

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Maple Ric 4001

I've never played an all maple guitar. I imagine they're heavy in weight. Carvin (along with Rick) was known for their maple guitars and I've heard that they were quite bright sounding. My Carvins are mahogany and are warm sounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I've never played an all maple guitar. I imagine they're heavy in weight. Carvin (along with Rick) was known for their maple guitars and I've heard that they were quite bright sounding. My Carvins are mahogany and are warm sounding.
    do
    That treble growl is helped by the wood, I suppose. I do get some beautiful, warm bass sounds. But I have heard that maple is a bright six string wood.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Rivers Cuomo from Weezer used to play Maple Strats he built with Warmoth bodies. IDK if that's still the case?

I wouldn't really say Maple is "bright", I personally find it very even frequency wise. I think I read that's why the cap on a Les Paul is so thick? Every all Mahogany LP I've played or heard has been mid focused. While not a bad thing, it's just different. I find my Ric bass has a very solid fundamental tone with plenty of overtones. Whereas some other woods seem the other way. I think it also has to do with the pickups.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"