Thread: Flat Wounds on a Tele?

Flat Wounds on a Tele?

Anyone use flat wounds? Results?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Flat Wounds on a Tele?

strictly anecdotal. I put some on the first rosewood fingerboard CVC neck I had on my CV50 tele (avatar). Loved them. Then it started getting weirdly buzzy and hard to tune. Truss rod was maxed out and I could not adjust the relief. Now that particular neck had never needed an adjustment before the flat wounds and i don't know what happened. I did read that apparently flats have more tension than regular strings.

I ended up getting another neck whose truss rod definitely does work but I have not put flats on it, yet. I'm a little gun shy at the moment because necks aren't cheap and finding a rosewood fingerboard that I like (dark and even) is really difficult. I've tried a couple of replacement necks from Fender but the rosewood on them was fugly as heck and i sent them back. At this time, I won't be using any flats

Adding a washer behind the adjustment nut will sometimes allow you to adjust the relief more, read an article by Dan Erlewine from StewMac about it.

I've only ever played flats on a bass, for Jazz band. I don't particularly like that tone, but others seem to do ok with it. But yeah, they're higher tension than the same size roundwound.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Could flats do damage to my Rick bass neck? Had them on about 3 years and was considering putting them on the Hofner.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

If not adjusted properly, yeah that's a possibility. I wouldn't worry too much. Sir Paul didn't GAF in the old days and his basses seem to have lasted just fine... 😎

it's definitely a jazzy sound. more mids and bass less treble.

my willingness to put them on a guitar would have a lot to do with the neck. if you have a big boat neck tele like a Nocaster or something ultra stable (like a Suhr roasted maple quartersawn) then it should be fine.

I dont personally think a tele needs them; rolling the tone off to half on the neck tends to get the sound I associate with flatwound strings. that's my personally favorite tele tone.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Adding a washer behind the adjustment nut will sometimes allow you to adjust the relief more, read an article by Dan Erlewine from StewMac about it.

I've only ever played flats on a bass, for Jazz band. I don't particularly like that tone, but others seem to do ok with it. But yeah, they're higher tension than the same size roundwound.
    I watched a video about that but it was a heel adjust neck not a headstock adjust neck.

Well I thank you for the info. I never realized flats created more tension. I keep learning here all the time. Cheers!

I use GHS Nickle Rockers on all my lectrics they are semi flat love the mellow tone... Give um a try..

TFF Stage Crew

I have them on my California Fat Tele--it is currently my primary guitar for our jazz sets because it sounds better and more authentic than the semi-hollows I've had. No tuning or neck issues thus far, although I use the lightest flat set I can find that still has a wound G.

Chucko--sent you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I watched a video about that but it was a heel adjust neck not a headstock adjust neck.

I think it's still possible to do? I might be wrong though, but you might as well try? I think even a super thin washer might help. I've never experienced bottoming out on the truss rod. So I'm only repeating what I've read and been told.

Best of luck to you amigo! 👍

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    I think it's still possible to do? I might be wrong though, but you might as well try? I think even a super thin washer might help. I've never experienced bottoming out on the truss rod. So I'm only repeating what I've read and been told.

Best of luck to you amigo! 👍
    The other option is that Stew-Mac sells a die that will go down the hole and allow you to extend the threads. But a washer is fine.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    I have them on my California Fat Tele--it is currently my primary guitar for our jazz sets because it sounds better and more authentic than the semi-hollows I've had. No tuning or neck issues thus far, although I use the lightest flat set I can find that still has a wound G.

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Anecdotal, having never put flats on a tele...

Had a set of stainless flats on my #1 Precision for 20 years before taking them off.

Granted I installed the EMG's on the same day - KahWhump.

Have a Taylor 810 that got fed a steady diet of .15 flatties for years - channeled Lowell with ease.

Now I'm squirming like a toad...

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?