Thread: Pearly Gates?

Pearly Gates?

Any of you ever use a Pearly Gates, bridge, neck, or both?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Pearly Gates?

I had a Lone Star Strat that had a PG in the bridge. Wish it was after I learned how to set pickup heights, tone controls and dial in the amp better. I was still in my everything on 10, never put a screwdriver to the guitar phase back then. I probably kept that strat the longest of my fender gear slutting days.

I've had several in different guitars, does a nice overwound but not too overwound tone. I personally have gotten into vintage output HB's, more to my liking.

What are you wanting to put one in?
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I'm thinking someday of getting a Warmoth chambered Tele body, and I want something with a bit of kick. I have Alnico IIs on my Les Paul, Nocasters on the Tele, and 57/62s on one Strat--all wonderful. Think I might go for something hotter IF I get a Warmoth body.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

IME, you don't want to go too hot in a hollow guitar, they mush out and are midrange heavy if you're not careful. The PG is probably fine, right on the edge. I would use an HB with A4 or A5 mags, nothing A2.

The mushyness can be a problem. I've also considered Duncan custom P90s. Are P90s a good choice on a heavily chambered body?

The mush comes from too much midrange and not enough treble, which are common symptoms of "overwound" pups. I think, and this is just personally, it's easier to add the "grit" and "drive" with a pedal or on the amp.

Like I said, I think the PG will be fine, but I wouldn't go hotter than that. JMO

I'm all for throwing hot pups in guitars, just never had luck doing it with hollows. They seem to be midrange heavy to start with, especially when amplified. I had good results with lower wound pickups. As.counter intuitive as it sounds, the lower winds seem to have more low end to the tone. Too "hot" and all I hear is midrange, and not just in hollows. I want a 335 or Tele Thinline to sound sorta like an acoustic with a notched midrange. That's why I said A4 or A5 for mags.

Gotcha. Thanks as always!

Yeah man! And remember, this is just one es opinion

A valued opinion, however much of a Dumbass it comes from and goes to...

If I make this build, I want it to have good warm sounds but just a little kick, especially on the bridge pup. I'm not married to the Pearly Gates and am open to suggestions. How would Gibson mini-humbuckers sound in a chambered Tele body? I saw Nancy Wilson of Heart playing a Tele with minis, and it rocked.

I think Mini HB's are rad! Kinda like a P90 but but fatter. Though expensive, WRHB's are super killer! And they'd be correct for certain Thinline Teles

WRHBs?

I heard Nancy Wilson playing a Tele with a mini-hum in the neck. The Tele looked cool and sounded great.

Wide range humbucker

Like the old Fender hbs on the deluxe? I've thought of those too. Are the ones made today any good?

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Like the old Fender hbs on the deluxe? I've thought of those too. Are the ones made today any good?
    Telenators. The best WRHB's I've ever played. The new Fender ones look like WRHBs, but the sound is ... lacking. That is, unless they've done something better in the last few years. Been a few since I played any stock Fenders WRHBs.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Supposedly the new Fender's are better, or so I've read. I haven't tried the Telenator's, but if the dudes from Sonic Youth play them? Then I figure they're pretty awesome. Those guys are crazy about their gear, and own a lot of guitars with WRHB's in them.

Fender doesn't seem to sell them outright. On the Warmoth you can get them--don't quite understand that...

Same as I bought a pup from a Squier 50's Classic Vibe Tele, brand new... IDK But an A3 slightly overwound pup for $25? Heck yeah I'm going to try it!!! Got it from Angela Instruments. Check them out

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    Same as I bought a pup from a Squier 50's Classic Vibe Tele, brand new... IDK But an A3 slightly overwound pup for $25? Heck yeah I'm going to try it!!! Got it from Angela Instruments. Check them out
    Thanks. Will do so!

when I built my Esquire partscaster, I liked the pickup in my CV50 so much that I found one for 30 bucks and put that in. I restored the Esquire body back to stock when I sold it and I still have the pickup ... I think. I better check my bag of parts. Someday I'm building a nice light nitro body tele with a rosewood fingerboard neck and I've got the parts ready for it.