Thread: anyone working on a project?

anyone working on a project?

i am currently working on two seperate projects.
    the first one is a tele. i bought a tele custom body off of warmoth and i'm gonna pull the neck and bridge off of my mim tele. then use some of my spare parts and pups. i've been needing a hardtail guitar with locking tuners for my alternate tunings. i used to have a tele custom clone, but it sucked. so i figured i should build a good one finally.

the second project is an electric 12 string. i'm using a jazzmaster body with a modded bridge, and an old fender twelve neck. i got the bug for a twelve string after playing several. i guess i just can't help myself.

so anyone else working on anything?
    Last edited by chuckocaster; 09-28-2003 at 05:40 PM.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

TFF Stage Crew
    Is that Fender 12 neck from an acoustic model? I passed on one of those guitars recently; it was a '67, I think, for $60. The only reason I wanted it was for the Klusons.
    I have a number of projects in the works that are stalled at present for one reason or another. Two rw board Strats, one maple neck Strat, a Tele, & a hollowbody "thing" that needs the neck pocket routed for a Fender style, & an LP Jr. still in the planning stage that may never get done. Sometimes I'll go out into the garasge & putter, but I make little headway.

yeah it was from the shenandoah. i paid a little more for it than 60. but it didn't have tuners. mine is a 68.

I'm building a USA Custom Guitars Tele clone. It's probably only been about 10 hours work, but between applying the finish and waiting for it to dry and waiting for parts to arrive it has taken about a month and a half.

It's a pretty traditional swamp ash, maple neck, early '50s style Tele. It weighs just under 6 pounds. I finished it in clear wipe on poly. I really wanted a woody feel.

I'm expecting the neck pickup to arrive today.
    The rest of the guitar is done.

I need to install the pickup, cut the nut and set it up and de-bug it.

I might finish it tonight!

I've already had my other Tele's neck on it and played it with just the bridge pickup and it sounds great.

I'm already thinking about my next project. Maybe a Mission Deluxe to play it through!

don,

that sounds real nice man. i have fallen back in love with teles. well i have been spending copious amounts of time on the telemodders website. so what are you using for a neck pup? i'm using a 72 tele custom syle body so i'm gonna use an old dimarzio 59 copy in the neck of mine. my mim was an esquire cause i pulled the neck pup out, personally, i never really liked the stock neck pup sound.

chuck

I spend a lot of time on the Telemodders website too.
    I'm 57strat there (Don was taken).

I've got a Duncan Vintage Tele in there now and a duncan Broadcaster in the bridge. I'm setting the guitar up with pretty stock type parts as a base line for possible future experiments. I had it routed for a middle Strat pickup as well which I may or may not install.

I just cut the nut last night. I just need to do some final setup and to install the string tree. I wanted to let the neck settle before adjusting the truss rod and the springs on my neck pickup are too short.

It sounds incredible through my Vibrolux Reverb. Incredible Tele tone.

I think I'm going to need a Strat like this too!

I'M (TRYING) to do a fiesta red tele CA series tele body w/ a MIM dark RW strat neck, vint bridge w/ brass barrels and am going 4 the 'esquire' thing....[btw, it's puuuurty]

i need to find those little resistors or caps, or whatever they are called

where can i get them?? radio shack??

it'll be my 2nd tele-o-strat...my other is a USA white blonde body, USA bridge, strat neck pup, lite RW strat neck...[it turned out realy sweet]
    Imanidiot.

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    Repainting may Jackson Strat.

&

Building a new road tele. Fender body, Warmoth neck, Wilkinson tele bridge, Texas Special bridge pup, 57/62 strat pup in the neck position, Schaller Mini's with a Hipshot Drop D.

&

Building a baritone tele. The body I cut myself. Warmoth Baritone neck. Have not decided on pups yet.

These have been all delayed cause I've been over run with repairs and mod’s. I'll get to my own guitars soon I hope:)

Greg

frank,

is that the body off the tele your were trying to sell over on the fdp a while back? cause i considered buying that for a while, but had other things to take care of money wise.

as for the caps, radio shack will have them. as for my esquire, i just wired a vol and tone and called it quits, i kept it real simple.

my projects arer about as far as i can get for now, cause i'm waiting for both of my bodies to show up. i'm getting real excited about rebuilding my tele, cause i had my buddy alan wind me up a custom tele bridge pup. it is his pre 55 pups that he makes, and those things are soooo sweet! i'm getting goosebumps right now thinking about it.

Originally posted by chuckocaster
    frank,

is that the body off the tele your were trying to sell over on the fdp a while back? cause i considered buying that for a while, but had other things to take care of money wise.

as for the caps, radio shack will have them. as for my esquire, i just wired a vol and tone and called it quits, i kept it real simple.

the white body...yes
    then i figured, why not TRY a tele/strat combo....so i got the strat neck, which had a lite RW board and that very white maple neck, and you should see (in my webshots page) how nice the lite neck went w/ the see-thru-white-blonde bod. then i got a CA series pickguard, a USA strat pup, and ...voila

or...do you mean the CA tele i was selling? I sold that complete, then appx 2 weeks later, i picked up another fiesta red body for my 2nd tele-o-strat

i also did the direct wiring (san caps), but figured i might as well wire it up right like an esquire

isn't it hard waiting for something in the mail? it's like watching a pot, boil. It never happens as you're watching it!:tw59
    Last edited by frank thomson; 10-01-2003 at 03:35 AM.
    Imanidiot.

yeah i was talking about the other tele, the complete one i guess. but, my tele body showed up in the mail today. so all i have to do now is paint the body, and install verything. bing bang boom, tele done.

Forum Member

USA Custom Guitars Project #2

I'm on my second USACG s type guitar. I'm tung oiling the body now (5th coat, natural tung oil) and the neck is on order. The body is alder and the neck is birdseye maple.

See link below for my first USA CG guitar project:

http://www.mycgiserver.com/~javacody/project/index.jsp

My next project is in the design phase. Its going to be a hollow carved top tele with a walnut body/flame walnut top and Indian rosewood tilt-back tele neck. I'm thinking 24 3/4" scale? P90 in bridge and PAF in neck.
    Last edited by javacody; 10-03-2003 at 08:57 PM.

i like the tung oil, it looks so natural. for a while there i thought about doing my new tele in oil, but then decided the peach would be cooler on this guitar. that looks real nice!

stroker.......i think p-90's would be puuurrrfect for your baritone....and brass barrels....

great :rolleyes: ,.... now I'm hard!
    Imanidiot.

frank i believe we think alike man, p90s get me in that soft spot. especially the duncan customs. those things fuckin scream!

I've got a really crappy old hohner or something that I'm trying to rebuild so that I have a guitar I can keep at work (I get bored at work!). It's got a plywood body, and a big headstock strat style maple board neck. It has really idiosycratic dimensions though and I've tried the neck on other bodies and it's tiny. I've put some diecast tuners on, and I've got some old ceramic pickups that I'll use although I'll need to get another one as one of them is broke! (i'm thinking about a P90 for the bridge)

The body is currently a textured white finish which I will sand back and respray black. I've got a mint green scratchplate which is far too good for the guitar but will go on anyway.

As far as the restoration goes, so far I have sanded back the neck, installed side dots (can you believe it didn't have any!) and refinished it in clear NC. The screw holes have been plugged with dowels and redrilled. The tuner holes have been reemed (i hate that word) to take the generic korean tuners and the tuners installed. The next step is the body refin which I have yet to begin.

As you can tell this is going to be a real custom shop beauty!! I have to stop every now and then to ask myself why I am putting this much effort into such a crappy guitar, but then I remind myself that my playing is a bunch of crap anyway and this is all I deserve!!
    More tea vicar?

My USA Custom Guitars T-style is finished.
    It's a great guitar. Nice tone and a beefy neck. It weighs less than 6 lbs.

I'll still be doing little things to it as I go. They're never really finished are they.

I replaced the .047 cap that I put in it with a .022. The tone control sounds way better now. Better wah-wah effect. I thought it would've been better with the .047 in it.

The caps I used are Sprague Orange Drops. I get them at Mouser Electronics.

I'd like to try different pickups in it. I may shield it eventually too.

I'll try to borrow my company's digital camera to post some pics.

don, i do the same thing. i use the.022 caps instead of higher values, even on bass.

"anyone working on a project?" Well, since you asked...

I bought a"Parts-o-Jazz" 62 replica with a screwed up neck for $140. Sold the neck on ebay for $90 and ordered a new one from Warmoth. It's been through an incarnation or two already, but as of now the Candy Apple Red paint on the body and headstock is drying. Here's a pic of the Tele I assembled earlier this summer (before the corn came down) as well as the Jazz in Daphne blue.

http://community.webshots.com/script...bumID=77834131

TFF Stage Crew
    A problem has been detected.

You do not appear to be the owner of this album.
    Make sure you are logged in.
    ???
    Last edited by Cogs; 10-07-2003 at 09:26 AM.

A problem has been detected.
    Damn! I hate when that happens!

just wanted to give an update on my tele project. at first i was going to paint it peach with a matching headstock. but do to a sudden drop of funds, and after seeing the guitar mocked up, i decided to tung oil it. the finish is all done now, and the guitar partly assembled, i'm just waiting for the bridge pup to arrive. man this thing is going to be sweet. and contrary to what i've read and heard about, the mim necks i have have been pretty darn good. granted not the best, but a great neck for the price. will post pics when completely done.

12'er is still on hold.

c-o-c, please explain the tung-oil process.

where'd you buy it?
    application?
    finishing?

thanks

btw, that peach idea still sounded sweet! mmmmm.....peach
    Imanidiot.

frank, it is pretty simple. all you need is a rag. first i clean the body with mineral sprirts, and let that dry. then with a clean clothe apply the tung oil. basically just put some on the cloth and rub it in. some people do one side at a time, allow that to dry, and then move to another side. i personally just do the whole guitar making sure i don't touch what i have already finished. then i hang the body by a coat hanger and let it dry. i do three coats and call it even.
    finishing it that way keeps the body vibrant, but the oil seals the wood from moisture. i learned how to tung oil in my high school wood shop. linseed oil can also be used, they are interchangeable. but i like how the tung oil looks, it darkens the wood slightly. you can also sand down and tung oil necks if desired. some people also use beeswax to shine up the finish. warwick basses use this method also. but i like it flat, so no wax for me.
    i believe tung oil can be purchased in any hardware store. it should be by the wood stains. i use the minwax brand, but they are really all the same.
    as for the peach, i'm gonna paint another tele that color. but i couldn't afford it at this point in time, and the tung oil was free, so do the math, hehehe. anyways, my peach tele has morphed a little. i'm gonna build a bigsby tele with bardens, bound body and headstock, and peach paint. that is gonna cost quite a bit, but a man can dream can't he?

i'll try to post some pics here pretty soon. i don't have a digital camera, so i'll have to scan.
    Last edited by chuckocaster; 10-10-2003 at 06:35 PM.

I GOTTA DO A SEARCH......b/c i sure as hell can't picture you doing that. when you totally sand a body smooth, and you rub a liquid on it, the hairs/fibres always rise up. at least in my world. i gotta do a search and try to see someone performing that technique. and in my mind, it's oil....when it dries , it's still oil....doesn;'t it get on your clothes? how does oil dry? i never saw oil totally dry.

i gotta be missing something..

btw, thanks for that peach tele visual....i was fine until you said you were gonna bind the headstock....then i had to change my pants!
    Imanidiot.

frank, i guess you better wash your pants. as for the tung oil, it is a lot like french polishing. like what they use on classical guitars. yeah the body is a little rough, unless you wax it. but no it doesn't bleed onto you. it soaks into the wood. do a search, i never have looked.

A comment Chuckocaster made on a thread of mine got me thinking, so I hit e-bay & got one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=47067

"The Ajaycaster"
    I think it may be good therapy to put a guitar together on my own. I've always wanted to.
    If it sucks, it didn't cost an arm and a leg. If it comes out okay(or as okay as it can be for the $$), and I have a good time with it, I'll work my way up to Warmoth-level stuff. Get around to learning how to solder, and the sky's the limit for pickup choices, eh?
    Last edited by ajay315; 10-11-2003 at 10:37 PM.

ajay that is great to hear man. that looks like a great place to start. i sometimes build some weird and odd ball stuff to keep myself amused, plus it is great experience. practice makes perfect!

ajay....

post your opinions of that guitar/material/package
    Imanidiot.

Forum Member
    I'm working on a slabside, double-bound, hollow Strat with F-hole. USA Custom guitars buiding the body, Warmoth necks (1 birdseye, one rosewood), Lace Sensor Hot Gold S/S/H with Chrome domes, Calaham hardware, Clapton Boost. You can take a peek over at my website at http://www.wizardsofaz.com/guitars/Masterbuilt.html

This will be my 6th custom built guitar. You can see the others at the site above.

Rick

those are some cool guitars man! i like what i see. i still need to post pics, i'll get to it someday.

frank, i just wanted to add to the soiling of pants. i just got off the phone today with the guy who is building my tele pup for me, and i scored a fender bigsby and bridge plate. so i think for now i'm gonna just use my mim body, route it out to make it a thinline, and then get the crazy peach machine rockin. i think the bardens will have to wait though, but i'll get them someday...need to order a neck first though. peace guys. talk to ya later.

yea, when the peach machine is done, you gotta send me some pix....that sounds absolutely delicious!

wiz....my puter is kinda f'd and everything looks like a stipple painting!
    Imanidiot.

Forum Member

projects? Oh yes...

Currently building a from scratch-build "Fenderbird" bass

meaning a non-reverse Thunderbird body and a P style neck.

Body is mahogany. Neck, rock maple, flatsawn, and fretboard is gonna be Pau Ferro (if I can find a planer to get the board dead flat) if not, some real nice old rose wood.

Also looking for some vintage T-bird pups to finish this off.

Also have a Vox Phantom bass project in stasis, until I finish the T-bird...

If anyone requires some real nice old old fretboard blanks in either rosewood or ebony (in the rough... 5/16 thick x 3" x 18")

I'm the guy to see on the cheap. Or a trade for a nice bi-flex bass neck trussrod will get you 2 blanks.

Peace out my building brothers...

I just finished testing some new pickups in my strat and moved them to my Squire Strat. I'm just about ready to completely rewire my Squire Strat. New pots, switch, cap, plus these hot new pickups I just put in it.

The next two projects are to install and test a "Chromacaster" modification.

Gives you all five standard switch positions plus seven way switching, bridge and neck in series, bridge and middle in series, bridge and neck out of phase, and bridge and middle out of phase.

Man, that's going to be confusing....

Next is a "Fat-O-Caster" modification. Gives you seven way switching plus neck and bridge in series.

This one I think will be easier for my brain to keep track of...

Opps wrong forum, but that's ok, you can put this suff in any Strat type of guitar...
    Last edited by photoweborama; 10-17-2003 at 10:50 AM.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

photoweborama, i have the fat o caster wiring in one of my strats, i really like it.

cool, I'll be looking forward to it that much more.

Thanks, I should get the mods on Tuesday.
    Photoweborama

The Fat-O-Caster is a pretty cool mod, and not real had to put in. Really fat sound in the series neck/bridge position. I like it.
    Photoweborama

The Fat-O-Caster...

Ok, I'm hooked. I can't live without the serial neck/bridge combo.

I'm going to have to put the Chromacaster mod in my #1 Strat now. It gives me the same Fat-O-Caster tone, with two different out of phase combos also.

This stuff is so obsessively addicting...

I CURSE that Deaf-Eddie for giving me these mods to test... I can't sleep thinking about how it's going to sound, and when can I find time to wire it in...
    Photoweborama