Thread: Live Sound - ???

Live Sound - ???

So -
    Who here is gigging -

what are you using for live sound?

Who is absolute that they will only use old school analog mixers

Who is up for new digital mixers

anyone using powered speakers and what are they?

I am curious -
    I found that many venues believe it or not don't want you to take off peoples faces and it took a little bit to learn where that point was.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Re: Live Sound - ???

i think you and I have chatted back and forth on this, but I'll recap for this thread.

Currently running a Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 (non AI), 2 x E-V ZLX15P mains and 3 x Mackie TH12 monitors. Have had this setup for about a year now and 25+ gigs (mostly bar gigs, but a couple of outdoor gigs where supplemented with subs). 5 piece country band - three vocalists, two acoustic guitars, one electric, one bass and full drums. I do sound from stage and play bass. I'm a stickler for manageable stage volume and even the bigger venues we play don't want us to play at top volume, so clarity on stage and in the audience and a quality mix is my goal each and every time.

BUT! The SL16.4.2 has been losing its lustre with me as I have had back luck with the SL remote app on my iPad. Since it's a non-AI board, I need to run the board to laptop (macbook pro) via Firewire and then run a WiFi router from the laptop. And at least once a night the whole thing bricks and mixer becomes unresponsive. As long as I don't hook the board up to the laptop, I'm OK, but that defeats the purpose of being able to multi-track record and do the remote mixing. Its not a small or particularly light mixer for what it is and we also run a 25' stage box/snake to the board doesn't need to be right on top of us on stage. I also bought this with the intention of using it at home, but I have an 8 input MOTU rack mounted interface that has been working really well for me to this point, so the SL is a bit redundant.

So, I picked up a Behringer XR16 stage box mixer to see how that works. The wireless capabilities are much superior to my particular Presonsus (don't need a laptop and *could* go without a router as it has its own WiFi access point built in). I don't care much for the Behringer XR Air app, but it works fine. Had one gig where feedback went haywire and froze the app. Don't want that to happen again. At least with the Presonsus, you can always reach over and grab the faders for mains or monitors and avoid all kinds of grief.

So - I'm on the verge of looking at a high quality smaller form factor analog board and doing away with the whole digital thing. If I was *only* doing sound, I'd definitely hang on to the Presonus, but since I'm doing sound and playing, I need something simpler/smaller/lighter, more bullet proof and more idiot proof that what I have right now!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    i think you and I have chatted back and forth on this, but I'll recap for this thread.

So, I picked up a Behringer XR16 stage box mixer to see how that works. The wireless capabilities are much superior to my particular Presonsus (don't need a laptop and *could* go without a router as it has its own WiFi access point built in). I don't care much for the Behringer XR Air app, but it works fine. Had one gig where feedback went haywire and froze the app. Don't want that to happen again. At least with the Presonsus, you can always reach over and grab the faders for mains or monitors and avoid all kinds of grief.
    I had something similar happen last year - I am two years into the XR18 - do about 60-70 sound jobs and 50-60 gigs a year with it.

I found that using the laptop (PC) is my personal pref becasue it is what I am used to. I do have a droid tablet, and it works well.
    my feedback catastrophe was an outside job, and the effects started to feedback, I had hit mute JUST as a popup window came up, and I couldn't close it or move it - I was pissed! It was RIGHT on top of the effects faders/mutes. I had to run to the sidesatege laptop to hit mute - and no one was there yet - what a comedy of errors. Good thing it was still pretty empty at the venue, and early in the show - second song. I was really disheartened - but swore I would not let it happen again. I had an IT friend show me how to disable all the popups/warnings/messages etc..... THAT has never happened again.

Since using an external 2.4/5 ghz router - I don't have dropouts. It doesn't freeze or brick on me. I dont' mind the behringer software- I have gotten used to it for the most part. I run Blues jams at the venue I work sound at so I get to run like 4-5-6 "bands" through a night - so I got A LOT of practice and saved a LOT of settings. I use it to run sound for my band, and another I play part time with as a fill in. You have a more elaborate setup than I do - band wise. For shows, I have had horn sections, multi percussionists, acoustics, electrics, stand up bass, keys, multi vocals, even a hurdy gurdy once. I actually rack mounted the XR18 - mostly to protect is, but also so I could carry mics/cables for my band gigs, and make it easy.
    Kenny Belmont

Usually we use house sound, this weekend the girl running sound was about 20 but wow was she great. Cute too! Had mics and mixes done in 15 minutes and it sounded great.

When we use our own sound I've got a rack with a conditioner and lights, effect unit (digital), two Crowns and an 8 channel mixer. We use a sub mix on the kit - kick, snare and overhead. Got the Yamaha subs that have the pole mounts for the mains, and then Yamaha mains. On a small venue we'll ditch the subs and use stands for the mains. Floor wedges for monitors and they're a hodgepodge off stuff collected over the years. Mostly Shure mics and then the obligatory plastic bins of cables and extension cords. Mic stands and that's about it.

We have a truss if we do lights. It's all LED (Best thing ever, no more schwetty balls onstage!) and has a smoke box and some laser light show stuff. Amazing how good and cheap that stuff is getting. No more pars made out of coffee cans, dropping and losing the gels in the snow while you carry them.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I gig all the time but we mostly use the house sound.

When the house doesn't provide it, our bassist does it with his own gear, but we only used it once and I never really cared about his stuff, but I'll look and tell you.

All I take is my guitar of choice, the amp, my pedal gear and my Shure SM57 for the amp.

I'm pretty ignorant about live sound. When there's no house sound, our singer has a PA. I bring a couple of guitars, pedalboard, amp and my Sennheiser e906.

its funny how many people just show up and play - and have no idea how to set up or even eq their own systems, etc.

I have a free ap on my phone - an RTA program - so I can ring out monitors quick and easy - and use that sometimes, when there is an annoying vocal harshness or feedback/ring in teh mains or monitors - and help a few people out from time to time when they are live. its funny - some people are insulted when you point out the feedback or ring and tell them right where it is while most will thank you for the help.

I play part time in a band and do thier sound. I get paid for both - and one of the guys complained that I was getting more than him to the band leader. The band leader told him to be quiet so I didn't charge him more! (thought that was funny - since I only charge a portion of what I normally charge for sound alone)
    Kenny Belmont

I've had to struggle my entire musical life with bands that don't understand that vocals have to be out front and the instruments need to ride in different places across the spectrum. I can just imagine your frustrations, Kenny.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

TFF Stage Crew

Our band uses a digital system by Mackie. An iPad nests into the "mixing board" and handles all the digital I/O. Each of us has In-Ear monitors and an app on our phones where we can set our own monitor mix for them. There's also a master mode on the app where anyone (usually our percussionist since he can leave the stage easier) can wander out into the room and tweak levels for the FOH.

TBH it's really freakin' cool and I dig it, but I confess I usually don't wear my IEMs, preferring to hear the stage volume of my amps and the drums together. Plus the horn section stands right behind me and I love to hear them blaring at me "live" rather than in headphones. I don't hear as much of the vocals and keyboards that way, but it's just my preference.

My hearing will certainly suffer as a result (and probably already has), but, hey. It's only rock & roll and I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    My hearing will certainly suffer as a result (and probably already has), but, hey. It's only rock & roll and I like it.
    hahahaha >:^{I)>
    I have still never used IEM - and would love to try it.
    that said - I would definately miss the connection, but maybe not the extra eqpt (monitors, etc) .

I think the mackie (1608?) is really similar to he XR18. I just don't give the guys access, I can usually set them up, ring it out and they are generally happy. One guitar JUST switched from his flip phone last month - that is as TECHY as we gets
    Kenny Belmont

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    One guitar JUST switched from his flip phone last month - that is as TECHY as we gets

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I've had to struggle my entire musical life with bands that don't understand that vocals have to be out front and the instruments need to ride in different places across the spectrum. I can just imagine your frustrations, Kenny.
    Its funny- I don't get too frustrated - I make them sound good - PA wise...... these guys just don't get it - but the band leader does. Somehow - I think the listeners do too
    Kenny Belmont