Thread: Tap, tap, tap... Is this thing on?

Tap, tap, tap... Is this thing on?

It's gotten mighty quiet around here. I hope that's because everyone is out creating new riffs, buying guitars, building amps, and just enjoying life in general...

I just got done with a 30 minute improvisational orgasm on my new Stratocaster. Man, this thing SINGS. I couldn't begin to tell you what I played; it wasn't rock, it wasn't blues, it wasn't jazz, it wasn't folk. I was just making up rhythm and chords as I went along. I used minor 9ths, 11ths, sevenths, open strings, harmonics, and just played. It was WONDERFUL!

For me, this is what playing guitar is all about. Nobody but me heard it, and no one ever will, since I didn't record it and I doubt seriously that I could recreate it. And that's just fine with me. I let my muse guide me, and my soul created the music.

Yeah, it's too early to post this as a Sunday wake-up message, but right now, I'm feeling, "What the heck?"

Re: Tap, tap, tap... Is this thing on?

in order for a forum to be active, you have to get something out after you put your time and effort in.

thing is, several of the last people who have asked for advice have gotten very low quality responses, so why bother?

I mean if I asked a question about a guitar, an amp or something like that and all I got were responses by people that had never even seen one I'd quit asking.

because the Sunday threads dont revolve around any actual knowledge but instead a loose feeling of camaraderie, at least that survives in some small fashion.

"low quality responses"

I understand where that's coming from, but I don't know, man, people do the best they can to give advice here. The responses may not meet your approval. I'm sure there are more technical and knowledge-driven fora out there. Maybe they give better responses.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Yeah, we're still here!

Actually I'm always here reading.

Haven't posted much content lately because like you said, things are kinda slow in here.

Nevertheless, TFF remains my favorite forum, so I stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    "low quality responses"

I understand where that's coming from, but I don't know, man, people do the best they can to give advice here. The responses may not meet your approval. I'm sure there are more technical and knowledge-driven fora out there. Maybe they give better responses.

I agree.

One of the things that make me like this place is that the feedback is often of very good quality, and troll-free (not so much lately, though).

Lots of us Troglodytes still hanging out, we only come out at night though.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I've been busy dealing with the wife's fall from sobriety. she has been getting worse, culminating in a ride in the ambulance (in restraints) and a night in the emergency room (blood alcohol level of .426). I'm at my wits end - don't know what to do next.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Holy shit gibsonjunkie.

Stay strong.

My thoughts are with you.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Yeah man, hang on and stay strong!

GJ, Dam bro sorry to read that.. Be easy!

TFF Stage Crew

GJ... sorry man. That is so rough. My thoughts are with you.

Damn Nick. Anything I can do let me know. In the meantime hang in there brother.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Sorry to hear that!

I can understand how that can jam up your life, man. My mom was doing a lot of drinking up until a couple years ago. Since she's stopped driving it's been a lot less frequent but she's still in denial that there was a problem. Now it's "My kids won't let me drink." I live in fear that she'll find a source to bring it to her and we'd be on that awful rollercoaster ride again. Good luck, bro.

GJ - I understand the struggle - you know my best thoughts to you always brother
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

And if we can be of any kind of help, please let us know, brother!

Sometimes, the best thing a guitar forum can do is be a place where we players can support each other.

All best, guys. I'm sorry to hear of the struggles.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I've been busy dealing with the wife's fall from sobriety. she has been getting worse, culminating in a ride in the ambulance (in restraints) and a night in the emergency room (blood alcohol level of .426). I'm at my wits end - don't know what to do next.

Wow, I've been there, man. One of the worst kinds of nightmare imaginable. For what it's worth, I've found a men's Al-Anon group that is a terrific bunch of guys. Not a guitar collector among them, but several car collectors.

Make the time to find one. You won't regret it.

You see, guys? This is one of the strongest reasons for us all to keep this place going.

this is basically a forum of good men. And we're meant to be good and to do good to each other when in need.

Believe me, this is rare nowadays.

You guys are great! They let her out yesterday - she convinced them she was fine and it had been just a slip-up. I argued with the doctor - told him she was a pathological liar about her drinking and that this level of drama was a weekly event. It didn't matter - they sent her home. She didn't seem to realize or acknowledge her problem or just how "F"d up she was. Heck, there was a gunshot victim high on PCP there Saturday night that was less trouble than she was. Oh and I've tried Al-Anon a couple times - I have yet to find a group I'm comfortable with; but I'll keep looking.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Thinking good mojo for you GJ.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.

You guys are great! They let her out yesterday - she convinced them she was fine and it had been just a slip-up. I argued with the doctor - told him she was a pathological liar about her drinking and that this level of drama was a weekly event. It didn't matter - they sent her home. She didn't seem to realize or acknowledge her problem or just how "F"d up she was. Heck, there was a gunshot victim high on PCP there Saturday night that was less trouble than she was. Oh and I've tried Al-Anon a couple times - I have yet to find a group I'm comfortable with; but I'll keep looking.
    I don't know that anyone is truly comfortable with these groups at the beginning. After all, it's not a place one expects to be, wants to be, or ever dreamed of being. And yet, here you are.

My late wife died from alcoholism. Events leading up to her death are too bitter and painful to recount here. So, I'll just repeat my commiseration with you, offer you whatever strength and hope I can, and pray you manage to get through it all in one piece.
    Keep at it, my friend.

Zombie revival? No new posts here in a couple of days.

I haven't posted because I have no new guitar-related material to ask or tell about. In fact, work has had me not playing much the past couple of days, and all I've been doing is watering the humidifier.

Tonight is open mic night. I'll go and eat dinner, but I have nothing to perform. I have been working on some new material, but it's not ready for public release.

Anyone else?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Reach out anytime my friend. I'm no expert, but I have witnessed the disease and lost someone I loved dearly over it. I'll just listen.
    So sorry to see all her hard work go sideways.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

More ears here. Lot's of GJ love in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by S. Cane View Post
    You see, guys? This is one of the strongest reasons for us all to keep this place going.

this is basically a forum of good men. And we're meant to be good and to do good to each other when in need.

Believe me, this is rare nowadays.
    One of the things that might help here, is the ability to post images directly from our own computers/phones.
    Whenever I want to post a series of photos to show a build sequence, I have to find a hosting site, upload the whole thing, and then post a link from the hosting site to TFF.

Posting links to memes and and videos is one thing, but there are people here who actually do things instead borrowing and passing along the ideas and words of others.
    I guess some of us are just Old School in the way we go about things. Like, building guitars, fixing things, putting the phone down for several hours a day and getting things accomplished.
    Is that who we are? I don't post many photos of my work because, after I've done the work, I don't want the additional work of having to uplaod it, link it and share it. Other sites allow you to simply paste your photos into the dialogue box.

Straighten me out if I'm wrong about this.

Forum Member

Even after doing all that, my pics are only seen by some, not all.
    I suspect it would take a complete restructure to bring this forum's format into the 21st century!

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    One of the things that might help here, is the ability to post images directly from our own computers/phones.
    Whenever I want to post a series of photos to show a build sequence, I have to find a hosting site, upload the whole thing, and then post a link from the hosting site to TFF.

Posting links to memes and and videos is one thing, but there are people here who actually do things instead borrowing and passing along the ideas and words of others.
    I guess some of us are just Old School in the way we go about things. Like, building guitars, fixing things, putting the phone down for several hours a day and getting things accomplished.
    Is that who we are? I don't post many photos of my work because, after I've done the work, I don't want the additional work of having to uplaod it, link it and share it. Other sites allow you to simply paste your photos into the dialogue box.

Straighten me out if I'm wrong about this.
    That [U]would [U] be helpful Bob! I learned a lot here - and started playing shortly before joining up in 04. I Can't thank the folks enough for all I learned. I can almost tune my bass ALL BY MYSELF now!!!
    That said........ The things I want to share, don't seem to hold much interest here and I hadn't posted much for quite a while. Like everyone else, I have had a lot of family, health and other issues as well. I may even retire from work in the next couple of years if I make it that far!

I had a couple of cool things added to the eqpt list sort of recently and like you mentioned, had some issue getting pics or any video in easily. Had a LOT of gig video with a LOT of different players that no one could see. Did sound for quite a few really good shows that no one could see. Had a chance to work with Paul Nelson recently, and some other folks, and would love to show this to ya'll! more in your area, had a chance to work with Scott Spray, Debbie Davies and Duke too.

Playing and theory........ repair and diagnostics, general discussion - and camaraderie - all in good spirit here!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I have a build going on that's coming out really nice so far. My first set-neck Les Paul copy. Agree it would be great to post pictures directly. I can post up vids to YouTube but that's a lot of hassle just for funzies.

The last couple years have brought much change in the Junkie household. The Mrs. lost her 33 year-old daughter to alcohol related heart disease right around when COVID first hit. She made a decison at that time to quit drinking and God bless her, she's been stone cold sober since. She had to work on it, and a ot of things contributed to her success, but she's been amazing these last 2 1/2 years. Thanks for all your support. There were a lot of times when I was sure she'd end up dead or we'd be divorced, but we made it to the other side and life has never been better.

That's great news, GJ! Many of us have followed your progress in this, and your recap is a real joy to read. All to often, situations like this don't end well. I'm sorry about your wife's loss.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I went through this same alcohol thing with someone I loved dearly. All I could do was watch it disintegrate.

I eventually wrote a song about it. But it's not a disparaging song. It recognizes the situation, the love for each other, and the ensuing tragedy that resulted from it.
    As the lyrics say, "I'll love her til the day I die," I will, and hold that out as hope that she finds herself before it's too late.

It's my effort at putting a non accusatory spin on this problem. Maybe one day, if she stops being angry with me the song will find it's mark and be helpful to her.

https://soundcloud.com/bikeshots/song-for-lea

The last few years have been hard on a lot of people - kids, too. The psychological damage of remote school is more prevalent than people may think, but for adults it wasn't easy either.

I had to transition to work-from-home which was a blessing in a lot of ways, but it's not as easy of a transition as it sounds. Add COVID, divorce, custody battle, etc., and it was a perfect storm for falling into unhealthy states.

I never had anxiety issues before, but now it's a mess. The world is solely on my shoulders and my teenage daughters both have things they need to repair - one with PTSD and one with Bipolar-depressive diagnosis.

Words hurt people. We're making progress though and the toxicity is out of our lives (I have the house and the kids). It is getting better every day.

So, GJ, sometimes it's a day-to-day thing and sometimes an hour-to-hour thing. Get the help you and the missus needs and start working it. It takes time but progress can happen.

It's been a long 4 years in the NTBG household.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

The last couple years have brought much change in the Junkie household. The Mrs. lost her 33 year-old daughter to alcohol related heart disease right around when COVID first hit. She made a decison at that time to quit drinking and God bless her, she's been stone cold sober since. She had to work on it, and a ot of things contributed to her success, but she's been amazing these last 2 1/2 years. Thanks for all your support. There were a lot of times when I was sure she'd end up dead or we'd be divorced, but we made it to the other side and life has never been better.
    Excellent update from you GJ!

I hope that this new year brings continued success for your mrs.