Thread: Uni-Vibes and Like Pedals

Uni-Vibes and Like Pedals

As regular readers probably know, I'm currently on a Robin Trower kick. I've been attempting to learn a number of his songs, and have even purchased a Fulltone Robin Trower Overdrive (RTO) pedal. Since I have modeling amps, I can get close to getting the Trower sound, but running the RTO through a basic, clean model to my ears sounds best.

Doing some research on Trower, I learned that early on he started using a Uni-Vibe. Hendrix also made use of this accident of technology, so I've been looking into Uni-Vibe and Uni-Vibe clones. For those who are more knowledgeable in matters such as this (that means everyone), am I pursuing a dead end? In other words, does the RTO encompass the same effect(s) as a Uni-Vibe?

One pedal that came to my attention was an
    Earthquaker "The Depths Optical Vibe Machine." The description of it is pretty sexy, but I have no way to compare it to the RTO, which came out in 2008. Obviously, the Uni-Vibe goes back a lot further.

Can anyone shed some light on the pros and cons of adding The Depths to my existing RTO (and filling in the last space in my pedalboard)?

Re: Uni-Vibes and Like Pedals

If I'm not mistaken, the RTO is simply an overdrive pedal- no added swirly sounds or other effects. Is this correct?

The Uni-Vibe is a phaser that uses a flashing lamp and four photocells to create a trippy, off balance swirl. The idea was to emulate a rotating speaker cabinet (which it did poorly).

I use a Fulltone Mini Dejavibe which I bought used for about $125.

I highly recommend the Fulltone pedal.

For me EQD never seems to 100% nail the sounds. They always sound good but just not there. They do a bit better with their fuzzes I just always feel like they pick something kind of weird and do it in a pedestrian way (btw their offshoot OBNE is the exact opposite making trippy af reverbs and delays). The Fulltone is a bigger pedal, runs on higher voltage but IMO captures that sound better as a result of not compromising on those two things. Fulltone build quality is also a bit better than EQD (especially the casing, which is bomb proof on the Fulltones and only OK on EQD).

Effectrode makes a really nice one if you want to spend a lot.

The Fulltone is RAD!!! It'll totally nail that tone. My friend had one for a couple years and let me borrow it. Running that into the 20 watt Plexi clone I had was about as close as I'd ever get to sounding like Mr Trower.

No experience with the EQD, so I can't comment on that.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Based on the responses received so far, I went and ordered a Fulltone MDV3 (Mini DejáVibe 3). Since Mike Fuller made the Robin Trower Overdrive for the man himself, I would think Fulltone's product would be appropriate enough. What do you think?

TFF Stage Crew

I'd bet that's probably REALLY expensive, but if he made stuff for Trower then & don't think you can get closer than that w/out physically stealing Robin's own pedals.
    I've aways dug that effect & have had many types. The only think that even came close to an actual Uni-Vibe for me was a red Dunlop Rotovibe.
    But Uni-Vibes aren't relatively expensive these days. Why not just pick one up?

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    I'd bet that's probably REALLY expensive, but if he made stuff for Trower then & don't think you can get closer than that w/out physically stealing Robin's own pedals.
    I've aways dug that effect & have had many types. The only think that even came close to an actual Uni-Vibe for me was a red Dunlop Rotovibe.
    But Uni-Vibes aren't relatively expensive these days. Why not just pick one up?
    fulltone is very reasonable priced (as is EQD, which was also mentiond).

as to why you'd get one over a vintage unit; build quality, component conformance (the parts today are significantly less susceptible to drift) and it's all wrapped up in one unit.

The Fulltone site has a video of Trower playing "Bridge of Sighs" and a few audio samples of the Trower sound with the MDV-3. And a person on another forum said they saw Trower in concert and he was using one. That's good enough for me!

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    fulltone is very reasonable priced (as is EQD, which was also mentiond).

as to why you'd get one over a vintage unit; build quality, component conformance (the parts today are significantly less susceptible to drift) and it's all wrapped up in one unit.
    I wasn't thinking about a vintage one. The Uni-Vibe has been reissued by Dunlop. It's still a two piece unit but the layout is a little different. On the used market they're about $150 - $200. I used to own one, & they look & work great. Stainless steel box & expression pedal. Very chewy sound.

I'm developing a very bad habit. Maybe I can chalk it up to a failing memory...

That habit is browsing through the web, and coming across something I've been looking for/at on eBay. A super-low price with no bids on the item is just an invitation to just toss out a bid, thinking I'll lose the auction for certain.

And then, continuing my shopping, purchasing the same/similar item elsewhere, forgetting about my eBay bid. And then winning the auction.

Can anyone say "Gibson SG?" I thought you could.

Well, I did it again. I saw on eBay an Earthquaker Devices The Depths pedal and casually placed a bid on it. Then, a little later on, I purchased a Fulltone MDV-3 Mini DejaVibe.

An hour or so later, I received a notice informing me that I'd won the eBay auction.

So, now I'm getting two new pedals.

At least they aren't exactly the same (can you say Gibson SG? I thought you could).

TFF Stage Crew

lol
    I got my '03 Les Paul R7 that way. I bid low & promptly forgot about it. I never imagined I would win!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I'm developing a very bad habit. Maybe I can chalk it up to a failing memory...

That habit is browsing through the web, and coming across something I've been looking for/at on eBay. A super-low price with no bids on the item is just an invitation to just toss out a bid, thinking I'll lose the auction for certain.

And then, continuing my shopping, purchasing the same/similar item elsewhere, forgetting about my eBay bid. And then winning the auction.

Can anyone say "Gibson SG?" I thought you could.

Well, I did it again. I saw on eBay an Earthquaker Devices The Depths pedal and casually placed a bid on it. Then, a little later on, I purchased a Fulltone MDV-3 Mini DejaVibe.

An hour or so later, I received a notice informing me that I'd won the eBay auction.

So, now I'm getting two new pedals.

At least they aren't exactly the same (can you say Gibson SG? I thought you could).

I'm interested in hearing how the two compare. It looks like the Depths has more flexibility.

Forum Member

The Deja Vibe really nails Trower's tone. I have an older one from the mid 90s. As mentioned, with the Depths it's difficult to get the same sound as the Univibe/Deja Vibe, which is probably a dealbreaker.

I have a Danelectro Cool Cat Vibe. Less than $50 new, but Idon't think they make them anymore. It took me a long time to get it dialed in but I really like it now.
    Last edited by JeffL; 05-07-2017 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffL View Post
    I have a Danelectro Cat Vibe. Less than $50 new, but Idon't think they make them anymore. It took me a long to get it dialed in but I really like it now.
    Hello, Jeff! Welcome to the forum!

I am a Danelectro fan too. I played a lot of gigs with my Daddy-O, it's inexpensive and underrated, but has quite a wide palette of cool drives!

I have the 600ms delay, and it sounds awesome! The build quality isn't the best on the Dannelectro pedals, but some of them sound really good.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Not sure if this is even warranted since I have no current experience with any particular vibe pedals but for my Trower sound, I use a combination of effects... normally not all of these at once lol, but anyway... depends on the song. I will say that I'm always chasing tone but other than that, I'm able to get some nice Trower-ish sounds with this chain. If OP or anyone has any questions about what I'm doing, just holler!

amp - Flux Effects Liquid Ambiance polyphonic reverb - Behringer Echo Machine - Behringer Vintage Delay - Boss Chorus Ensemble - MXR Phase 95 / EHX Bad Stone phaser - Mod Tone Harmonic Tremor - Behringer 7-band EQ - TC Electronics Mojo Mojo OD - Boss Blues Driver OD - Dunlop Cry Baby 95Q - guitar

I have a Danelectro Cat Vibe. Less than $50 new, but Idon't think they make them anymore. It took me a long to get it dialed in but I really like it now.
    Hey, btw are you from Brazil?! I hadn't noticed your avatar, that's a Rock in Rio tee!

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Hey, btw are you from Brazil?! I hadn't noticed your avatar, that's a Rock in Rio tee!
    No, I'm from Toronto Canada, the shirt was a gift.

No, I'm from Toronto Canada, the shirt was a gift.

Oh cool!