Thread: Singing Praises for the Ugly Prom Date

Singing Praises for the Ugly Prom Date

Well....not really ugly, but not a cork-sniffers dream date or even consideration....

2012 Traditional LP--baked maple or laminated fretboard, lower priced, "only" an AA top, later, less sought after 57s. Ought to throw it away....

But IT'S A KILLER.

Last night, played a small gig and put the LP to use. It sounded so beautiful all night that I wanted to hug it and buy it a shake at the diner. To my ear, it had the absolute ideal Les Paul cream and crunch.

It was one of those times when you stand there and think, "This sound is perfect. I couldn't ask for better."

Sometimes, as much as you know that not all guitars have to cost a fortune to sound perfect, you internalize the idioms in the air. It's great when you're jarred out of that sludge of pre-conceived ideas by a guitar that can rip off your head or dig into your heart. Just one of those nights of perfect sound.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Singing Praises for the Ugly Prom Date

Yeah man!!! I used to be a real jerk about guitar specs... I simply don't care anymore!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

The feeling we all chase for. When I was a long-distance runner, there were times when during a run the thought would come to me, "I can do this all day."

It's one of the reasons I play guitar. Even if no one ever hears me, there are times when it all sounds "just right."

Good one, congrats!

For a cycling/motorcycle analogy, I call that "being one with the bike" - didn't matter if it was a beater or a carbon fibre missile.

Even though I still have a bit of bent to sniff the cork once in a while, I'm starting to listen with my ears instead of my eyes...

I've loved this guitar all along, became my main guitar, pushing the Tele back a notch.

Last night, it just had that quintessential thing about Les Pauls that I love.

Granted, my fave players and their Les Paul sounds: Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Duane Allman. When I talk about ideal LP sounds, these are what I mean.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Well....not really ugly, but not a cork-sniffers dream date or even consideration....

2012 Traditional LP--baked maple or laminated fretboard, lower priced, "only" an AA top, later, less sought after 57s. Ought to throw it away....

But IT'S A KILLER.
    Pics?

Nice! I'm not a fan of bursts, but yours is a very clean looking model. I was first struck by the "wrong" orientation of the Les Paul signature, but then I realized I was looking at a left-handed guitar. I didn't know Gibson reversed the direction of the signature when they switched hands, but it makes sense. New info for me...

Sir, that is no ugly prom date.

It's backwards, but that isn't a problem.

A right fine and pretty girl.

Just flip her over and dance to the left.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

I've loved this guitar all along, became my main guitar, pushing the Tele back a notch.
    Oh no you didn't just type that! LOL

I love a good Lester like someone said above listen don't just look...

Quote Originally Posted by CoyotesGator View Post
    Sir, that is no ugly prom date.

It's backwards, but that isn't a problem.

A right fine and pretty girl.

Just flip her over and dance to the left.

And so I do...

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Oh no you didn't just type that! LOL

I love a good Lester like someone said above listen don't just look...

I feel guilty about saying it. I love my Tele no less; I just love the Paul more (at the moment). I do go for whatever guitar is best for the job, but when it's been a toss up, I've gone to the Lester.

TFF Stage Crew

Until recently my R7 Blacktop Les Paul has been my main guitar at gigs. Total "plain jane", but what a sound!

I love blacktop LPs.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Nice! I'm not a fan of bursts, but yours is a very clean looking model. I was first struck by the "wrong" orientation of the Les Paul signature, but then I realized I was looking at a left-handed guitar. I didn't know Gibson reversed the direction of the signature when they switched hands, but it makes sense. New info for me...
    Someone else knows more than me, but I believe I've seen backwards sigs on a few models along the way. I've owned two Gibson Les Pauls, both with the signature readable left to right.

I have a set of '57 Classics that I am tempted to throw in this:

Another plain jane, '76 LP Deluxe, but has been my favorite LP yet..and I have R7s, R8s..etc..
    Those are 70's Dimarzios, a Super D and PAF.

I had T Tops in it too at one time, just wondering how my 57 Classic set would sound, they KILLED in my SG.

Kris, that one reminds me of George Harrison's "Lucy."

Such a beautiful Les Paul. By the way, did you have to rout for the Dimarzios? A buddy of mine has a 70s LP with them, and I think he had to rout out room for them.

I've been using 57s for years, and I love them. I've put them in some stinky guitars and made them sound much better. I like the Alnico II's full bodied clean sounds, and for OD, either the amp or a pedal can take me there.

Thanks!
    It was done before I got it, probably not soon after it was new!

It had a different..very yellow and worn set of Super Ds in it..I put this cleaner set in with the neck PAF.

I will probably drop that set in this weekend..I did install 500K pots..will try them with that, but if too bright, I will re-install the original 300Ks.
    It will look a lil something like this (when it had T Tops)

So I did some work this weekend..57s are in..and they REALLY work in this LP!! Because my 74 JMP is such a gainy beast, lower output pickups seem to work better.

I threw these Black Beauties in while I was there and did the 50's wiring. (vol pots are new 500Ks, original week 46 of '75 tone pots.

There you go! Glad they're working for you.

Another vote for 57 classics, they do nothing wrong.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Thanks guys!
    They really benefit from 500K post IMO.

This thread's title always gets me!

I was/am quite the shy guy around the ladies, so back in high school I had no date for the prom. My best friend's date had a friend who said she'd double with us, so I now had a date.

Turns out my date was drop-dead gorgeous! I was flabbergasted. And, of course, I did all the proper things: tuxedo, corsage, etc. It was a nice prom, but that was it. I never saw her again.

**I** was the ugly prom date!

Old Strummer--I was also the ugly prom date. Actually, I'm a bit ashamed that I used such a title. Trying to be funny but it's offensive, I s'pose.

I really don't think I'd be much happier with a more expensive Les Paul. I don't doubt that the historics are better in many ways, but my Trad is good enough for me, and the audiences seem to think it sounds all right.

Old Strummer--I was also the ugly prom date. Actually, I'm a bit ashamed that I used such a title. Trying to be funny but it's offensive, I s'pose.

I really don't think I'd be much happier with a more expensive Les Paul. I don't doubt that the historics are better in many ways, but my Trad is good enough for me, and the audiences seem to think it sounds all right.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but personally, I wasn't offended (I refuse to be offended by most things these days). Actually, I never thought of it until I saw the title, and then I had to laugh with the realization that I was indeed, the ugly prom date. At least when compared to a cover-girl gorgeous woman!

As for "better in many ways," deep down I think the best guitar for any player is the one that makes them sound the way they desire. I admit to buying guitars because I like the way they look, but each one I own has its own characteristics. When I pick up my Taylor acoustic, I play acoustic guitar (songs) that I think I play best on an acoustic guitar. I like playing clean with my Strats (although I'm getting used to an overdrive pedal). Telecasters I play for the twang factor. When I want dirt, I play an SG. I gave up on trying to find "the one" guitar that would fulfill my musical dreams. I find that too limiting.

OS, I feel privileged to be on this forum with you. Love your spirit and enthusiasm for guitars. Wish we could have a jam.