Thread: Tell me about your reverb pedal:

TFF Stage Crew

Tell me about your reverb pedal:

Who has reverb pedals & what are they? Cool features? Problems? Recommendations?
    thx

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Tell me about your reverb pedal:

I'm currently running a two-amp, wet/dry thing where the "wet" side was going through a delay (MXR Carbon Copy) and reverb (TC Hall of Fame). I was a big fan of the HOF pedal. I recently got a taste for flange though, and pulled the HOF off and replaced it with an MXR Micro-Flanger, using the reverb on the "wet" amp instead. If I had room on my board though, I'd put the HOF back on.

If I'm not effecting the guitar in post, or not using the Fuchs on board spring (which is spectacular, BTW), I really like having the wide choice of digital reverbs in my Line 6 M13.

When I'm not using the spring reverb in one of my amps, I'm using a Catlinbread Topanga. It's pretty cool though I'm not sure if I'm in love with it yet. It's a little more of a hard core simulation of an outboard reverb tank than I need. I just need a bit of reverb most of the time.
    I used a Malekko Spring before the Topanga and felt that it sounded more like a slapback echo. Nice sounding, just not very reverb-like.
    Last edited by Don; 12-31-2016 at 08:51 AM.

TFF Stage Crew

I've heard good things about the HOF.
    DANG the Topanga is pricey! ~$200, looks like

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    I've heard good things about the HOF.
    DANG the Topanga is pricey! ~$200, looks like
    I bought my Topanga used for about half that.

I've considered the HOF. Sounds like a good pedal.

one of the guys I play with uses a Mr. Springy - it sounds great. I can't tell you much beyond that though.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I bought my Topanga used for about half that.

I've considered the HOF. Sounds like a good pedal.
    I'm going to look into both of these

This was a very satisfying purchase:

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

TFF Stage Crew

lol! My youngest son just came home w/a brand-new FRV-1 last night! What a GREAT sounding pedal. Not many options or features, but heck, when you've got good Fender-style reverb, who needs much else? I'm really tempted to snag one but I'd like to see what settings/sounds are available from the Topanga & the HOF

I have a Fender Mustang II v.2 amp, which has among its models a Fender '65 Twin Reverb. I have the DLY/RVB dial set to "C1," which effectively turns it into a '65 Spring Reverb.

Does that count?

(Ducking and running -- Happy New Year, folks!)

I own two HOFs. One on my main pedal board and one on my acoustic board. Simple to use and sounds really good.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I really only use reverb for Surf stuff anymore, and if I do I use my Fender spring unit. My general rule is: one guitar, use reverb. More than that, don't use it.

When I play out now doing classic rock I generally rely on delay. I find it cuts through the mix better than 'verb, and I have two settings - one to wet the signal for reverb and another to add tails for solos. Helps with the stage volume immensely, whereas I find reverb can be a "volume escalation enabler." The tails add the "huge" to the sound at audience friendly volume. It sounds a little whacky by itself but in the context of a mix it's really luscious.

Reverb, OTOH, tends to muddy up the waters and make it hard for the guitar to cut through the mix.

So for playing rock, between a chorus and delay I have all I need and a reverb is superfluous.

YMMV,

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    lol! My youngest son just came home w/a brand-new FRV-1 last night! What a GREAT sounding pedal. Not many options or features, but heck, when you've got good Fender-style reverb, who needs much else? I'm really tempted to snag one but I'd like to see what settings/sounds are available from the Topanga & the HOF
    Right! The FRV-1 is the perfect complement to the tweeds. Straight and to the point for me.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

I have a couple of amps with reverb, a few without.

I'm of the personal opinion Tweed Fenders and Marshalls do not need light reverb.

For bigger reverbs, I have an Eventide Space on my pedalboard. I really like their Hall setting and when I think "big" reverb I'm thinking Leixcon PCM units.

Only drawback for me is that it's not precisely a straightforward pedal to use. I have a Strymon Timeline and almost wish I had gotten a Big Sky instead, as Strymon is much easier to get worked out. I do think the Eventide reverb sounds better though. At least it's easy to adjust the pre-delay; this is the one setting I will never again buy a reverb unit without. It's super critical to me as I had a different reverb before that sounded awesome but just got out of control at any higher settings. Being able to dial back the predelay and up the mix a bit is a lot more convenient to me.

Yeah, for me if using reverb I need to be able to control the wet/dry mix. Most amps are way to wet to be useful.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim