Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I joined the club

I joined the club

Well, not quite yet, but my AmEx has been charged already.

Ordered a '61 Reissue Gibson SG.

Pics will be taken, and posted as soon as this humbucker laden beast gets here.

Re: I joined the club

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

You'll love it. That's the same guitar as the 2013 Standard (I have one) and it's the kind of guitar you know you're going to keep from Day 1. Congrats!

Ha ha ha congrats! The greatest champion of the American Std Strat has found his way to the dark side!

Seriously, man, that guitar my just grab and addict you. That's happened to me with my Les Paul. Still love my AmStds, but that LP....

I can't wait to see pics--OF YOU PLAYING IT!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Will be arranged!!

Btw I don't understand why people still haven't come up with a vibrola that doesn't require new holes

I forget who makes it, but there's some product that allows you to put on a Bigsby without new holes.

Anyone know it or use it?
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

It's called a Stetsbar.

https://stetsbar.com/hard.tail.html

The Stetsbar looks good. This one is made only for the B5 Bigsby, and I think it's the one I saw a few years ago:

http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-v5-ST.php

I miss my SG, sounded great but I couldn't get it to hold tuning... And I tried everything!!! I think mine had an unstable neck?
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I could never keep my Les Paul Faded tuned; my Traditional stays in tune beautifully. From what I've heard and read, Gibsons are notorious for it.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

For the vibrato with no holes, also check out the LesTrem II
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    I miss my SG, sounded great but I couldn't get it to hold tuning... And I tried everything!!! I think mine had an unstable neck?
    it's a bit inherent to the design. the size of and way the neck is set, the headstock angle, etc.

the first thing to do if you're having any tuning stability issues is to check the nut and saddles for anything like a burr. after that, lubricate the nut and saddles (I recommend Big Bends). then, should you continue to have issues, you can go up a string gage to 11s. failing that, get a new nut fitted and filed.

that's about all you can do, but very few SGs cannot be made to stay in tune reasonably well. but, an SG will never hold tune like a Suhr Modern or Anderson Drop Trop, so set expectations accordingly.

Ok, here she is:

It came with all the paperwork, both Gibson's and the importing company's.

Came in the right case and box.

Gave it a quick string change and cleaned the frets and nickel parts with Fast Fret.

It's very beautifully finished and since it's a 2012, it already started to get real aged; it looks yellower and more light briwn than it shows in the pictures. The binding is cream colored (aged) and the bridge and pup covers have begun to get some slight tarnish (which I like, it looks better). The fingerboard is baked maple.

Tuners are Kluson:

And here's a couple of pics of what's under the hood:

P.S. Now I need a fringed buckskin jacket and to grow a mustache
    Last edited by S. Cane; 01-03-2017 at 02:34 PM.

Lovely axe! Can't wait to see what you think once you play it in the band.

I was just working out with my own SG this morning. Aren't they wonderful?? Congrats!

The finish on that guitar looks like a matte finish on unfilled mahogany in the pics. So it's not Heritage Cherry? What's the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    I was just working out with my own SG this morning. Aren't they wonderful?? Congrats!

The finish on that guitar looks like a matte finish on unfilled mahogany in the pics. So it's not Heritage Cherry? What's the deal?

You're right, the finish is "worn brown". It kinda looks like a cherry finish that has faded to brown.

Neat guitar! I like SGs, Juniors and Telecasters with satin unfilled finishes. I like Les Paul Standards and Strats with shiny finishes.

Very nice Sergio.

I'm looking foreword to a gig report.
    What happend?

TFF Stage Crew

Nice!

Whee! Sergío's gonna be rockin' 'n' crunchin'! HNGD!

Man, talk about crunch! These 57s are KILLER, they give me a very creamy crunch/distortion.

I love the 57s. Came on my Traditional, and I've put em on other guitars to bring them to life. They can be warm, sweet, or stinging.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I love the 57s. Came on my Traditional, and I've put em on other guitars to bring them to life. They can be warm, sweet, or stinging.
    I had them in an ES-135. Sounded great!

I have "zebra-coil” ’57 Classic™ humbuckers on my SGs, which according to Gibson, gives "a blend of vintage warmth and contemporary articulation." Whatever that means. They sound pretty good to these incompetent ears, anyway.

People diss the 57 and Burstbuckers, I think they're great! As good as an Antiquity or something of that ilk? No, but they're great nonetheless.

You play out with that thing yet?

Quote Originally Posted by redisburning View Post
    the first thing to do if you're having any tuning stability issues is to check the nut and saddles for anything like a burr. after that, lubricate the nut and saddles (I recommend Big Bends). then, should you continue to have issues, you can go up a string gage to 11s. failing that, get a new nut fitted and filed...
    Did all that, even put Sperzels on it. Think I just had one with a bum neck, I've had other guitars that wouldn't hold tune either.

People diss the 57 and Burstbuckers, I think they're great! As good as an Antiquity or something of that ilk? No, but they're great nonetheless.

You play out with that thing yet?
    I really like the 57 classics, especially the early ones. The tide has risen on those I think. Tom Holmes did a great job with them.

I found BB1 and 2 too spikey and a bit unsophisticated. Gibson's new custombuckers are really nice though, just a tad dark for my taste (same with 57s). ultimately found the right balance in an A4 aftermarket.

Did all that, even put Sperzels on it. Think I just had one with a bum neck, I've had other guitars that wouldn't hold tune either.
    Bummer.

I have a colleague going through that issue with a bigsby equipped guitar. I've been going through all the steps with him and it's made some improvement but I think either that thing is coming off or the guitar is getting sold. Sometimes you just can't beat physics.

Exactly! I have a DeArmond M75T that stays in tune beautifully! Modded Bigsby clone, roller bridge, reworked nut and Sperzels. If you're friend really wants a Bigsby, they're worth modding, but it's a bit of work. Nothing too bad but still some effort. Email me if you're interested

FWIW I have a set of early 2002 57 Classics that are very good.

They do so many things well and nothing wrong.

The only reason they aren't currently in a guitar is that I'm slowly moving to a higher gain on most of what I do.

I've been thinking of using them in a new tele style build.
    What happend?

Well, a brief update.

I have sad news and good news.

The sad news: A couple of days after I unboxed the SG I noticed a hairthin crack in the fretboard, cruising through an inlay and under a fret. It was probably quite tight at first and I didn't look closely enough to see it (or maybe temperature/humidity made it open up a little bit and then I saw it).

The good news: I reached the Gibson dealer and returned the guitar. They sent me a brand new one and it'll be here by tomorrow or so.

Frustrating, but these are the hazards of buying guitars online.

Anyway, I gotta praise Fender's and Gibson's customer service and warranty. Folks were very professional and polite throughout all the process.

The new SG arrived this afternoon.

Gave it the usual setup, lowered the bridge and action a tad to suit my taste, and gave it fresh strings:

The bad side: the one I returned looked better: the scale was darker, resembling rosewood, and it had cream Kluson tuners. This one has a fair scale (baked maple in 61 reissues) and greenish Gibson Deluxe tuners.

The good side: this one actually sounds better through my amps, especially the Orange.

Oh, and it came with a Canadian made case, it feels slightly better than the Costa Rican one that came with the first guitar.

About the scale: do y'all think I could do something to darken it a bit? Like conditioning it with lemon oil?

first time I've heard the fretboard called 'the scale'

I almost thought it a mocha colored rosewood until you said it was maple. I have no idea about the finish if it has one, rosewood doesn't. Typically maple needs a finish or it will turn gray. No a clue as to how roasted maple behaves. Now I did not stay at a Holiday Express Inn last night but I would think that if there is a finish on the maple, treatments to darken it won't stick. If it is naked wood then it might be a different story.

Oh, and congratulations on the SG. I like them a lot and would dearly love to get another someday

It's probably not really correct. I made that mistake because in Portuguese we call it that way (a escala), it means both things, the scale and the fretboard itself.

Baked maple fretboards are unfinished just like rosewood ones

Serge, that's a fine looking guitar, lighter scala or not. It sounds good, and that's the key. It'll be a different monster from your Strat, especially with your band. It'll ride a different place in the mix, so it may take a couple of practices for you to dial in your favorite tones. It's a really handsome guitar.

Bore oil (or Fret Doctor) might darken that though I have no experience with that type of fretboard. In any case, it's a cool guitar!

Nice guitar, Sérgio!

I'm the very last person to know doodly-squat about fine guitars, much less woodworking, so please disregard anything I say if someone contradicts me.

I have heard it said that lemon oil only works temporarily.

So there.

From everything I've read, lemon oil will darken it for a time, and maybe that's a good thing to do to a fb anyway?

Frankly, I wouldn't sweat the lighter rosewood board. It looks great, and you may start to even like it.

Lemon oil is scented mineral oil.

A luthier I respect recommends linseed oil for unfinished fret boards...don't pickle it..wipe it on and wipe it off.

Take care, stay well.
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.