Thread: NGD - Classic Triple Play Tele

NGD - Classic Triple Play Tele

Fresh out of the box (and probably violating some sacrosanct rule about letting a guitar "acclimate" -- hey, I haven't played it, yet!). As promised, here are some pics. The "official" description:

Fender Custom Shop Master Builder Todd Krause has designed an unusual take on the Telecaster for the Classic Player series. The high-performance Classic Player Triple Tele rocks three slanted Nocaster single-coil bridge pickups for truly distinctive modern tone and the classic look of a black finish and pickguard paired with a one-piece maple neck/fingerboard.

Other features include a thick "C"-shaped neck profile, 9.5" fingerboard radius and 21 vintage-style frets, five-way Stratocaster-style switching, vintage-style string-through-body bridge with three brass saddles, special Custom Shop neck plate engraving and more. Deluxe gig bag included.

I haven't even taken the plastic off the pick guard. I did note that the black body is very quick to show fingerprints! My first non-MIA guitar. The quality looks pretty good. The truss rod isn't accessible from the headstock, but the fit and finish is very good. I can't judge the weight, but it seems heavier than my Magnificent Seven Light Ash Tele, but perhaps not as heavy as my 2006 60th Anniversary Diamond Edition Tele.

Re: NGD - Classic Triple Play Tele

If the truss rod isn't accessible from the headstock, why does it have the truss rod adjustment (with the walnut plug) at the headstock?

Very odd and pretty cool guitar, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    If the truss rod isn't accessible from the headstock, why does it have the truss rod adjustment (with the walnut plug) at the headstock?

Very odd and pretty cool guitar, BTW.
    Jim, I've already put the guitar back in its gig bag and box, so I can't photograph it, but I looked at the "plug" in the headstock, and it really just looks like a finely-shimmed piece of wood, fit and sanded to fill the hole. My understanding is that truss rod adjustments on this guitar are done through the heel of the neck. Which means removing the neck...

On the plus side, it seems to be very nicely set up (yes, I did break down and tune it and play a little). I thought the "Wide-C" neck might have been an issue, but it's only marginally wider than the Soft-V of my Strat. And very playable!

Here's a brief clip of Todd Krause talking about it:

Cool Guitar - can't wait to hear what you think of it!

I like unique pieces like that - very cool!

I have seen several headstock truss plugs - can't name them, and am not going to even try- no need to defend it - its how it was made.

When you get time - tell us more about it - the neck, the switching, the feel the sound!

Merry ho ho to you!!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    The truss rod isn't accessible from the headstock, but the fit and finish is very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    Jim, I've already put the guitar back in its gig bag and box, so I can't photograph it, but I looked at the "plug" in the headstock, and it really just looks like a finely-shimmed piece of wood, fit and sanded to fill the hole. My understanding is that truss rod adjustments on this guitar are done through the heel of the neck. Which means removing the neck...
    The walnut plug at the headstock and heel truss rod adjust are nostalgia things- the way Fender did it until the Bullet truss rod came along in the '70. Kinda hokey to still use it, the I selected it in the two necks that I had USACG make me.

It is a cool guitar. I'd like to hear how three Tele pickups arranged like that sound.

I love the looks of that Tele so much. I've never owned a black Fender, but I've considered getting a Tele or P Bass with a maple fretboard. The black pickguard on yours gives it a great look.

Yeah, I'm also interested in hearing about the arrangement of those pups and the effect it has.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I love the looks of that Tele so much. I've never owned a black Fender, but I've considered getting a Tele or P Bass with a maple fretboard. The black pickguard on yours gives it a great look.

Yeah, I'm also interested in hearing about the arrangement of those pups and the effect it has.
    Willie, my old friend Gary L. owns an MIJ P-Bass in black with a black guard, black pickups, and an unlined fretless maple board. Yowsah!! Prettiest bass ever, next to my Shoreline Gold MIA Precision Deluxe.

Fender had a contest not long ago to win the guitar of your design. I lost (of course), but this is what I envisioned:

Oh, and to correct myself, the official Fender name of my new acquisition is "Fender Classic Player Triple Telecaster," not "Classic Triple Play Telecaster." :)

A "telestrator" is diagramming software that enables a broadcaster to draw over the video image. If that name weren't already in use, I think it would be a good term to use for this guitar. In fact, I think I'm going to name it "TeleStrat.or." That's because the three identical Custom Nocaster bridge pickups and five-way selector switch make it possible to evoke some definite Stratocaster sounds.

Yesterday I put away my guitars and most of my gear in my monthly ritual to prepare for my maid service (yeah, cleaning up before the maids...). Actually, I do this so that the maids, who work in my absences, aren't running vacuum cleaners into my guitar stands, amps, pedals, etc. As a result, when I brought TeleStrat.or home today, I didn't want to unpack it all before giving it a try, so I simply plugged it in to my unassisted Mustang II v2.0, set on "British 60s" (which I believe is meant to model a Vox amp of the 60s) and began to experiment.

Wheeee!

The five-way switch combined with the tone control make this one flexible guitar. When set to the bridge pickup, this thing twangs with the best of them. All across the settings, there is a full tonal range, with solid bottoms and sparkling highs. The thick "C" neck is actually very comfortable in my hands; my Strat has the soft "V" neck, which I love, but this thick C is smooth and easy to navigate. And maple. All my favorite guitars have maple necks.

And yes, now with this, my fifth Fender (two Strats, three Teles) to match my five Gibsons (two LPs, two SGs, one ES-225), I am firmly convinced that Fender makes MY guitar!

In fact, I think I'm going to name it "TeleStrat.or." That's because the three identical Custom Nocaster bridge pickups and five-way selector switch make it possible to evoke some definite Stratocaster sounds.and easy to navigate.
    I love that name! I think I'd really dig this guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I love that name! I think I'd really dig this guitar.

Here's my whacky plan for the holidays:

I'm going to leave everything packed up through the New Year and just play TeleStrat.or through my unassisted Mustang amp. I'm going to do this every day until January has settled in.

Mind you, this may be tough; my Strat is my favorite guitar, and that's not likely to change. But since I bought TeleStrat.or to be a "knock-around" guitar, I want to become thoroughly familiar with it. This may be the guitar I use when I start playing with my church band.

I'm going to try to make this my last post on this subject. I can't promise, but I'm going to try...

I REALLY LIKE this guitar! Gravity Jim's reversal on modeling amps notwithstanding, I'm finding TeleStrat.or sounds pretty darn good on every model I've tried it on (with 32 presets, that isn't all of them, for sure). While my Stratocaster has been my go-to guitar since I bought it, I find the single volume and tone pots on this Tele more workable. The five-way selector switch, three pickups and two knobs I find super easy to manage, and I can go from crunch to twang in a heartbeat. The maple neck is also a joy. It's slightly wider than my Strat's soft-V, but not as thick as I was afraid it might be.

It's kind of like having the best of both worlds. And at one-fourth the cost.

This is a keeper. And I may start to consider culling the herd (the Strat will stay!).