Thread: SF Twin Help Please

Forum Member

SF Twin Help Please

Hi everyone....I picked up this mid-70s Twin with push/pull master. I was doing some cleaning on it and this wire must've gotten knocked off. It winds up near the reverb control, but I really have no idea where it goes. Can anyone help? Not seeing a way to upload photos from my iPhone though...is there a way to do that? Thanks!

Re: SF Twin Help Please

Your pics need to be hosted on a site like photobucket. Then you can insert them using the icon above.

I'll bet we can help you.

Forum Member

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/elec...tml?sort=3&o=1
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Your pics need to be hosted on a site like photobucket. Then you can insert them using the icon above.

I'll bet we can help you.

Forum Member

I don't know where it goes - but I will say this.....

If TJ had worked at the factory when these were made - ALL wiring would be dress right dress !!!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Hahahahahaaa! That's funny Ken.

The wire in question connects to the right lug of that trimpot - in the picture of that floating lead, it's the closest open lug to the end of the wire - the wire is pointing right at it in that picture.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    Hahahahahaaa! That's funny Ken.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Maybe this helps:

While you're in there, I'd touch up those solder joints on that trimpot lugs as well. That's your bias balance pot (not a true hot/cold adjustable bias).
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Thanks for the help! It's a pretty obvious location, but I wasn't sure since that lug is completely solder free. I would think there would be solder where the wire broke off. That's why I started thinking it came off the reverb or tremolo pots.

The blob of solder could have popped off when the wire came loose. That's why I think you should re-solder some of the other areas as well.

SF Fenders sound great when they're in top shape.

Forum Member

OK, went over them. I'll let you guys know how it turns out after I have it biased. The amp blew over 20 years ago when a Coke fell in the back. I've had it checked out, and I think the only think that happened was that the hot power tubes cracked when the cold drink hit them. The previous owner let it sit for 20 years until he sold it to me. He was afraid to fire it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    The blob of solder could have popped off when the wire came loose. That's why I think you should re-solder some of the other areas as well.

SF Fenders sound great when they're in top shape.

The electrolytic capacitors may be dried out and need replacing. If you want, get a shot of them and post it here and we'll give it a looksee.

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Update on this Twin: first, thanks for the help. This amp had several issues that I wasn't aware of until me and a electronics savvy friend got it running. It's now been recapped, a couple new pots, new tubes, and some resistors replaced. Still having one issue though. The normal channel sounds great. The reverb channel is making crazy noises with the treble on zero, and also distorts with the mid all the way down. Assuming something's not right in the tone circuits. Where should I look first?

Forum Member

Well, figured out that the shield above the chassis is interfering with something. Maybe some high wires are touching it.

You have a 12AT7 or ECC81 in V3 correct?
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

Cleaning the pots tends to solve a lot of issues - get some Caig's in there to see if it helps

-Edmund Burke